Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I made a Goon channel on the Sandbox. Same password as usual.

Edit: :stare: THE T110E3 ONLY HAS A 120MM GUN.

Edit 2: :stare: BATCHAT GETS LIGHT TANK CAMO.

Edit 3: :stare: 3 LOADERS ON THE 50B. :wtc:

McGavin fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I'm not in the sandbox, probably because I don't play this lovely game enough, but the direction they're going with armour seems pretty worrying.

Unless they're taking out premium rounds completely, restricting them to gold only with a small pool of gold is going to massively skew the balance of the sandbox. They've sabotaged their own experiment and the data they're getting from it will be largely useless.

I'm also worried about how t8s will handle t10s. If an E-100 is actually difficult to penetrate for other t10s then t8s will have no chance at all. If mobility is reduced and armour is increased, in general, it's going to really disproportionately affect bottom tier tanks, especially bottom tier tanks that rely on armour. They already have it bad enough. I can't see a way to make armour good without tightening MM to +/- 1.

There is just no way to make the IS-3 or KV-4 hold up reliably to other t8 heavy tank guns while still pretending that the Churchill VII will be even remotely playable. The game hardly pretends that right now, but it'll be even worse.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The E-100 is only harder to penetrate because they lowered the pen at higher tiers. If they keep the lower tier pen the same it should be as hard as it always was. The pen drop-off might be an issue, but with the proposed matchmaker changes tier 8s should see tier 10s much less frequently.

Edit: Holy poo poo the BatChat 155-58 is utter trash. With clutch braking it takes 25.7 seconds to turn 360 degrees. It only drives in a straight line now.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 18, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Desuwa posted:

I'm not in the sandbox, probably because I don't play this lovely game enough, but the direction they're going with armour seems pretty worrying.

Unless they're taking out premium rounds completely, restricting them to gold only with a small pool of gold is going to massively skew the balance of the sandbox. They've sabotaged their own experiment and the data they're getting from it will be largely useless.

I'm also worried about how t8s will handle t10s. If an E-100 is actually difficult to penetrate for other t10s then t8s will have no chance at all. If mobility is reduced and armour is increased, in general, it's going to really disproportionately affect bottom tier tanks, especially bottom tier tanks that rely on armour. They already have it bad enough. I can't see a way to make armour good without tightening MM to +/- 1.

There is just no way to make the IS-3 or KV-4 hold up reliably to other t8 heavy tank guns while still pretending that the Churchill VII will be even remotely playable. The game hardly pretends that right now, but it'll be even worse.

I suspect that's the whole idea, keep +2/-2 matchmaking that everyone despises while making being bottom tier totally untenable like it was in Warplanes, making people play more tier 10s and spewing credits and getting more money out of the whales who buy credit packages.

McGavin posted:

The E-100 is only harder to penetrate because they lowered the pen at higher tiers. If they keep the lower tier pen the same it should be as hard as it always was. The pen drop-off might be an issue, but with the proposed matchmaker changes tier 8s should see tier 10s much less frequently.

Yeah but if they keep the pen the same at lower tiers, armor will still be useless at lower tiers, unless they plan to massively buff tier 8 armor up to tier 10 levels which doesn't seem likely.

Either way if y'all aren't in the sandbox now, you're not missing anything, the games really awful. That accuracy change is loving diabolical.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Desuwa posted:

But on the other hand, the problem with the test server is that with effectively unlimited gold/credits everyone spams premium shells so that skews the results the other way. I think the only middle ground would be to restrict the ammo loadouts so everyone could fire some premium shells but not limitlessly, and not unrealistically limited like in the sandbox. You'd end up seeing them used more closely to where you would on the live server, albeit not accounting for the fact that people may tend to play idiotically on the test servers.

McGavin posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo the BatChat 155-58 is utter trash. With clutch braking it takes 25.7 seconds to turn 360 degrees. It only drives in a straight line now.

To be fair, if you wanted to make a 360 turn you could just not turn at all and stay pointed in the same direction and it would take 0 seconds. :shrug:

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
That still means it takes a whole 12 seconds to just turn around.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So it turns like a reasonably speedy Destroyer in Warships.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

So it turns like a reasonably speedy Destroyer in Warships.

It sounds like another tank is angling to be navalized.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Serious question, what turns faster - sandbox Bat 155 58 or live server TOG II?

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
So about the viewrange nerfs on sandbox...I guess this means they've thrown away all pretense about ever making maps bigger than 1000x1000m? (Except that one they've made for PS4)

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

McGavin posted:

It's not necessarily this iteration (the t10 balance pass) that's going to ruin it. But if they bring the lower tiers into line the same way we'll run into the problem where a 50B and an E-100 are balanced at t10 but an E-100 can absolutely trash t8s without fear while the 50B (or any other unarmoured tank) can't. Or that a Churchill VII is balanced with a Cromwell at t6 because the Churchill has armour but in t8 battles the armour of the Churchill is completely worthless while the Cromwell still has its speed.

The problems already exist - if the MM were +/- 1 the Churchill VII would be in a very different place, even if it still wouldn't be a great place with the number of ~200 pen guns at t7 - but the balance changes sound like they'll make them worse. This specific iteration of the test server (no way in hell these changes in particular will hit live) and the fact that they haven't started on lower tiers yet doesn't really matter. I'm worried about their stated direction and how the hell they're planning to avoid the Mauschen problem where it was broken against lower tiers but garbage against higher tiers and they admitted they couldn't make it work.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hellsau posted:

I also pissed off some piece of poo poo Confederate rear end in a top hat so that was fun.

The only reason to play this game.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

I think I did well in this KV-1 game. I think I was hit with APCR like 20 times, but a good chunk of them bounced. I finally have some skills training on my crew, and it feels like everything is just a bit better. I guess having a fully trained crew and some skills does make quite the difference. I actually got my gun crit this game, but now that I'm carrying repair kits and remembering how to use them, I fixed it and proceeded to get a ton of damage.

I also hit the 500 game mark. I guess that's just a drop in the bucket compared to most of the other guys here, though. Finally got the Leopard! And jesus is it slow stock. It'll be a grind getting it to a workable state.

I hope I'm not getting in the way with my stupid newbie posts.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 18, 2016

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2iNG5TRdKc
I found this and now my brain hurts

edit: enjoy 15 minutes of looking at trees in sniper mode

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

I hope I'm not getting in the way with my stupid newbie posts.

Don't worry about it. :justpost:

We'll try to keep you from making the same dumb mistakes we did.

Speaking of dumb mistakes, you're using mods, right?

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010

McGavin posted:

What mods are recommended, are the ones on the front page still current? Looks like the latest XVM is like 2013.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Griffball posted:

What mods are recommended, are the ones on the front page still current? Looks like the latest XVM is like 2013.

A link to the PGS thread with my modpack.

I can answer any mod questions in that thread.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 19, 2016

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

McGavin posted:

Yeah, I'm using some Aslain mods. I have battle assistant, XVM, and a bunch of assorted mods and a different sight. Its nice to have. Its still hard for me to figure out where exactly to place my shots to get pens, but at least I'm not bouncing every shell, just every OTHER shell now. Having gold rounds in reserve for when I HAVE to shoot somebody head on is always nice too.

I got the IS-3A (or whatever it is) rental, and uhh. Yeah, I'm bad in it. I shoot somebody with AP, bounces. Load HEAT, shoot them dead on at point blank, bounces. And the T10 tanks are doing like 800 damage a pop to me. Yikes. Back to T5.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Fat Jesus posted:

Did they really make a video congratulating themselves on sitting stationary for 15 minutes and failing to understand the joke? Yeah, yeah they did. 38% is literally unwinnable, let's just waste a quarter of an hour!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hellsau posted:

Did they really make a video congratulating themselves on sitting stationary for 15 minutes and failing to understand the joke? Yeah, yeah they did. 38% is literally unwinnable, let's just waste a quarter of an hour!

Like they would have done anything different with an 85% XVM prediction of winning the match.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Jesus loving Christ Wargaming, give out some credits on the sandbox so we can actually test poo poo out.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

Jesus loving Christ Wargaming, give out some credits on the sandbox so we can actually test poo poo out.

Yeah no poo poo, you get to outfit 3 tanks and then move the equipment around, or i guess wait four days and get the 500k credits per day and outfit another one. This sandbox experiment is being laughably mishandled and isn't going to lead anywhere unless they put someone in charge of the experiment who actually knows what the gently caress they're doing.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Yeah no poo poo, you get to outfit 3 tanks and then move the equipment around, or i guess wait four days and get the 500k credits per day and outfit another one. This sandbox experiment is being laughably mishandled and isn't going to lead anywhere unless they put someone in charge of the experiment who actually knows what the gently caress they're doing.

I don't think that person exists.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

McGavin posted:

I don't think that person exists.

Me. Camador. Donkey. Rossmum. Hardest. Primelaw. gently caress, Garbad would do. Any of us would be able to handle this poo poo better than it is currently being treated.

I just loving got into an 8v8 match, our team had 6 tier 10s and 2 arti, their team had 4 tier 10s, 3 arti and a scout. How is this useful testing? Oh look, the team with 6 tanks beat the team with 4 tanks, what a shock. Thanks Wargaming, this is certainly a good use of my time and will certainly help improve World of Tanks from the currently terrible state into an actually unplayable state, so unplayable that we all finally win at Tanks.

Seriously they could not have made a worse choice than weekly builds. There won't be enough people sticking with this shitshow to continue to test future builds. If they get someone with an actual background in testing and also actual experience in playing World of Tanks at all tiers, this poo poo is super easy to attract testers. Monday and Tuesday is superheavy day! No gold ammo, lowered pen, lowered mobility, lowered accuracy. Oh, that's poo poo? Okay, Wednesday and Thursday becomes Run and Gun day! Mobility and accuracy is as it is in 9.15 while on the move, but given 4-5 seconds to aim and you're as accurate as in Armored Warfare! That promotes too much cross-map play and scouts die instantly to snipers when spotted? Okay, then let's try this view range experiment and queue up only open maps and see how light tanks fare!

seriously wargaming have lost their goddamn minds if they think this is anything less than a clusterfuck of Rampage/Historical Battle proportions.

e: also when I suggested all those people who could do this better, I was assuming we'd only spend maybe an hour of brainstorming. We'd easily improve on the Sandbox from where it started.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Fat Jesus posted:

come on even 2PAC in its current horrible sad state can dislodge a Fisherman's Bay hellcamp

good trash talking though gently caress hellcamps gently caress pubbies

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fat Jesus posted:

WorldofTanks.mpg

"You see, we're just imitating real life - because in real life tanks are expensive and HVTs and QRESTs and all these military abbreviations that make me sound like I'm a real Tier One Operator Marine Scout Sniper Ranger Seal."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 19, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Fat Jesus posted:

RIP me. :toot:

Hellsau posted:

Someone actually put the effort into recording a video of an epic draw. :psyboom:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

e: also when I suggested all those people who could do this better, I was assuming we'd only spend maybe an hour of brainstorming. We'd easily improve on the Sandbox from where it started.

I meant exists within Wargaming's corporate structure.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Me. Camador. Donkey. Rossmum. Hardest. Primelaw. gently caress, Garbad would do. Any of us would be able to handle this poo poo better than it is currently being treated.

I just loving got into an 8v8 match, our team had 6 tier 10s and 2 arti, their team had 4 tier 10s, 3 arti and a scout. How is this useful testing? Oh look, the team with 6 tanks beat the team with 4 tanks, what a shock. Thanks Wargaming, this is certainly a good use of my time and will certainly help improve World of Tanks from the currently terrible state into an actually unplayable state, so unplayable that we all finally win at Tanks.

Seriously they could not have made a worse choice than weekly builds. There won't be enough people sticking with this shitshow to continue to test future builds. If they get someone with an actual background in testing and also actual experience in playing World of Tanks at all tiers, this poo poo is super easy to attract testers. Monday and Tuesday is superheavy day! No gold ammo, lowered pen, lowered mobility, lowered accuracy. Oh, that's poo poo? Okay, Wednesday and Thursday becomes Run and Gun day! Mobility and accuracy is as it is in 9.15 while on the move, but given 4-5 seconds to aim and you're as accurate as in Armored Warfare! That promotes too much cross-map play and scouts die instantly to snipers when spotted? Okay, then let's try this view range experiment and queue up only open maps and see how light tanks fare!

seriously wargaming have lost their goddamn minds if they think this is anything less than a clusterfuck of Rampage/Historical Battle proportions.

So it is soe's star wars revamp all over again. Nice. I guess more focus on botes will be happening soon once this flops down next to planes.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Hellsau posted:

No, you don't get it. The hilarious mismanagement and small numbers of invited players are accomplishing exactly what they want.

In a few weeks or months they'll claim that the low population on sandbox means that players don't care enough about balance or think that it's fine as it is. Balance 2.0 gets cancelled without "wasting" developer effort on something players "don't want". Mission accomplished.

Hell my two cents is to give players randomly selected tanks. Every match you get a pool of a few tanks to choose from so players don't just gravitate towards whatever is OP right now, if they even have it. Maybe not a great idea, but better than limiting players to a few tanks and not giving them credits to buy new ones.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Desuwa posted:

No, you don't get it. The hilarious mismanagement and small numbers of invited players are accomplishing exactly what they want.

In a few weeks or months they'll claim that the low population on sandbox means that players don't care enough about balance or think that it's fine as it is. Balance 2.0 gets cancelled without "wasting" developer effort on something players "don't want". Mission accomplished.

Hell my two cents is to give players randomly selected tanks. Every match you get a pool of a few tanks to choose from so players don't just gravitate towards whatever is OP right now, if they even have it. Maybe not a great idea, but better than limiting players to a few tanks and not giving them credits to buy new ones.

I'd play a hell of a lot more Tanks if the matchmaker chose 30 different tanks in a balanced team comp and then randomly assigned the players to a particular tank, and then the games are played on a well designed map, and the accuracy mechanics actually reward smart play, and the playerbase appreciated teamwork and weren't racist shitheads.

a man can dream

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

I'd play a hell of a lot more Tanks if the matchmaker chose 30 different tanks in a balanced team comp and then randomly assigned the players to a particular tank, and then the games are played on a well designed map, and the accuracy mechanics actually reward smart play, and the playerbase appreciated teamwork and weren't racist shitheads.

a man can dream

I too would play more if it was a different game played by different people.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

remember when they improved clan wars

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

What's clan wars? :confused:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Salean posted:

Now that I think about it I honestly cannot think of a single change they've made to CW that has been positive.

That's a hell of a track record, WG.

e: Also I meant the random tank thing for the sandbox not the live server, if that wasn't obvious. They really need to force an even distribution of tanks to get decent data.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 19, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Desuwa posted:

Now that I think about it I honestly cannot think of a single change they've made to CW that has been positive.

Tank locking was a positive change...for large clans. What was great about it was pubbies were railing for it thinking it would give everyone a "fair shake" at the map. Welp.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Tank locking was a positive change...for large clans. What was great about it was pubbies were railing for it thinking it would give everyone a "fair shake" at the map. Welp.

It wasn't positive for large clans, they could just weather it. It did nothing to help them because they'd still get landed on, just by different small clans instead of the same one each night.

It failed at its stated goals, and failed spectacularly. It could, or might, have worked with some tweaks, like locking every tank in a battle for landed clans even if they're not destroyed so even large clans might feel it. Or not affecting landing attempts so a small clan might have a chance in hell of holding the land they took by the skin of their teeth for one night instead of having eight of their fifteen t10s locked.

Honestly don't understand how they thought it would work out.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Salean posted:

Why yes I do remember when they systematically dismantled every reason to fight and removed weaker clans' ability to compete, thereby killing clan wars. That was a good change - no clan wars outside of campaigns for the fancy tanks.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Atomizer posted:

Someone actually put the effort into recording a video of an epic draw. :psyboom:

And then they claim that PANSY lived up to their name, because they actually tried to scout them out? I guess? And then they end the video with claiming that camping is NOT easy. Well....I suppose I agree, because I sure as gently caress couldn't camp like that for 15 minutes. If I tried doing that multiple times a day I'd go completely bonkers. But I don't think that's the meaning they intended with their "not easy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU--TGlaaBs