Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I was at Fry's Electronics in Fremont, CA the other night just before closing asking if they had any 1080's (they did not) and I saw somebody walking around with a EVGA 1070 in their hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

well surely you should have asked for a 1070

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Newegg has some MSI FE 1070s on hand: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127941

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

EdEddnEddy posted:

Could you possibly buy that FE and "Downgrade" To an ACX 3.0 Card? Lol

You can't 'step up' (or down, in this case) to a card in the same tier. It has to be something like a 950-970>980* or a 9x0>10x0. So no going from a base 10x0 to a 10x0 FTW or Classified.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

None of the high end skus are available to step up to anyways. These are the 1080 options:
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION (08G-P4-6180-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ACX 3.0 (08G-P4-6181-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (08G-P4-5180-KR) (PDF)

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

To be hocked and/or disposed of when the 1080ti comes out

Well, yeah, its not new anymore and therefore gross

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Blackfyre posted:

Speaking of the EVGA ACX 3.0 and G1 Gigabyte cards could anyone advise on the above? If the EVGA is better I'll just refuse the delivery Monday and wait some more....

honestly the difference is probably negligible, but i prefer evga just because of their US based customer service and easy RMA policy

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Blackfyre posted:

Speaking of the EVGA ACX 3.0 and G1 Gigabyte cards could anyone advise on the above? If the EVGA is better I'll just refuse the delivery Monday and wait some more....

While I'm sure returning your card will make someone else very happy, no... unless the G1's are plain broken there's no way I'd consider refusing it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Blackfyre posted:

The Gigabyte one should be fine, both of those cards have good coolers and enough power to boost the GPU as far as it can go. I'd lean towards the EVGA but that is just because I like the look more and I have had great experiences with EVGA's customer service in the past but never owned Gigabyte's stuff.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Evil Fluffy posted:

1070s use GDDR5 as well, only the 1080 uses GDDR5X.
1070's are salvage 1080 dies though.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

1070's are salvage 1080 dies though.

Yeah, but this doesn't mean they can't go on different PCB's.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

Cortana is immensely more useful than any other "assistant".

With it on my Android, it reminds me of things I tell it to via location, automagically tracks every order I get (UPS/FedEx/DHL/etc), even shows what test or missed calls I have on Windows 10 if I leave my phone in another room or something.

Overall the main problem with Windows isn't the re-wright of a lot of the UI and underlying code, its the lack of people actually using the features the new OS provides. Mainly once you get used to where things are or moved to, it actually is easier to flip around in the OS than the amount of clicks it took to do the same in Windows 7 (8+ it actually got better).

Now if they could integrate Cortana into VR it would be immensely better than the Vive Cell Phone Connector they have currently. Windows 10 should have a way they could plug into the API but I guess we will see.

Back on topic... I have to resist till the 1080Ti.. I must, I shall.

This is a dumb topic to have in the GPU thread BUT if Cortana can't even launch Edge straight into a google/bing search then whats the point.

Also talking to technology is still dumb. Windows 10 is bad.

e: back on topic at this rate I might as well cancel my pre-order and just buy a card in the US when I visit in September.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Man, the thing where Newegg removes the card from your cart when you are just about to complete your order.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Man, the thing where Newegg removes the card from your cart when you are just about to complete your order.

I understand why they don't let you remove something from stock by just leaving it in your cart, but it seems like there should be a 10m grace period or something after you add it before it's returned to the available stock list

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Yeah, but this doesn't mean they can't go on different PCB's.
PCB's aren't the limitation. Its the dies. They only "make" a 1070 when they can't sell it as a 1080 due to defects. But because of the larger die size there'll be fewer salvageable dies per wafer no matter what NV does. So it makes sense that there would be a better supply of 1070's than 1080's but ultimately they're both going to be supply constrained vs Polaris 10 because the die size is much bigger on what is still a very new process.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Hubis posted:

I understand why they don't let you remove something from stock by just leaving it in your cart, but it seems like there should be a 10m grace period or something after you add it before it's returned to the available stock list

Yeah. Or just sell them directly to the scalpers. Maybe detect who is running a script and just give them the card ahead of time and tell everyone it's sold out so they can move on and not get their hopes up, heh.

This time they sold out within 1 minute. It was that strange gigabyte with the overlapping fans. I guess it was 100 cards.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I'm finding it weird consumers are getting cards before reviews are out (specifically the G1), while ones like the MSI Gaming 1070 (which I havent even seen for sale) have been out since the 10th.

You could probably get a shitload of views by posting a "review" right now if you cared

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

How weird is it being one of the first consumers in the world to say so. Its just a video card and ultimately a little silly of course, but its true ;)

So many stars!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You can't 'step up' (or down, in this case) to a card in the same tier. It has to be something like a 950-970>980* or a 9x0>10x0. So no going from a base 10x0 to a 10x0 FTW or Classified.

Not entirely true. If they release a later model in the same tier you can step up.

I stepped up from a 970SC ACX2 to a 970SSC ACX2+ when those came out.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'm finding it weird consumers are getting cards before reviews are out (specifically the G1), while ones like the MSI Gaming 1070 (which I havent even seen for sale) have been out since the 10th.

You could probably get a shitload of views by posting a "review" right now if you cared

I'll type something up for the thread when I get my G1.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

OhFunny posted:

I'll type something up for the thread when I get my G1.

If someone wants me to run something with my G1 and 4670k I'm game. I usually don't run benches.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
Just got a ups shipping notification on my EVGA FTW I ordered from their site. Of course the ETA is Thursday, when I will be out of town for the weekend...

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Hubis posted:

I work with a very similar setup and we had to switch to a method where stock only drops if purchased because otherwise you have assholes (sometimes competitors) open multiple browsing sessions to mess with stock levels. It's the solution that requires the least maintenance, which is very important once you have thousands of SKUs in stock.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I've been searching around looking for answers to this but not really turning anything useful up so I figured I'd try here:

Does anyone have experience running two different model video cards to run multiple monitors on a gaming system in Windows that can provide advice on whether it's a good idea and/or any troubles that might pop up?

I've got three monitors hooked up, a 4K main monitor, and both a 1440 and 1080 secondary monitors. Just upgraded to a GTX 1080 because the 980 it replaced was struggling a bit gaming at 4K. I've noticed that even sitting idle, the 1080 has to clock itself up to 1151MHz (and a ~50C temp) when it's got 3 heads attached to it. If I disable the two secondary monitors it drops back down to a reasonable idle. That makes me think if it's burning up that much horsepower just sitting idle with 3 monitors, I'm probably taking a significant hit with gaming unless I disable my secondary monitors every time I want to play something (and that defeats the purpose of even having secondary monitors).

I'm thinking I want to stick the 980 back in to run alongside the 1080, and dedicate it solely to running the secondary monitors, leaving the 1080 just to run the 4K display, but I suspect I'll need to bump up my power supply a bit. Before I invest in a power supply, I want to know if the headaches of having such a setup is going to make it not worth it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

biznatchio posted:

That makes me think if it's burning up that much horsepower just sitting idle with 3 monitors, I'm probably taking a significant hit with gaming unless I disable my secondary monitors every time I want to play something (and that defeats the purpose of even having secondary monitors).

What you're seeing is almost certainly a driver/firmware thing related to multihead and clock selection, and not really utilization. Afterburner lets you see both clock and load I think. NVIDIA has had lots of bugs like that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

biznatchio posted:

I've been searching around looking for answers to this but not really turning anything useful up so I figured I'd try here:

Does anyone have experience running two different model video cards to run multiple monitors on a gaming system in Windows that can provide advice on whether it's a good idea and/or any troubles that might pop up?

I've got three monitors hooked up, a 4K main monitor, and both a 1440 and 1080 secondary monitors. Just upgraded to a GTX 1080 because the 980 it replaced was struggling a bit gaming at 4K. I've noticed that even sitting idle, the 1080 has to clock itself up to 1151MHz (and a ~50C temp) when it's got 3 heads attached to it. If I disable the two secondary monitors it drops back down to a reasonable idle. That makes me think if it's burning up that much horsepower just sitting idle with 3 monitors, I'm probably taking a significant hit with gaming unless I disable my secondary monitors every time I want to play something (and that defeats the purpose of even having secondary monitors).

I'm thinking I want to stick the 980 back in to run alongside the 1080, and dedicate it solely to running the secondary monitors, leaving the 1080 just to run the 4K display, but I suspect I'll need to bump up my power supply a bit. Before I invest in a power supply, I want to know if the headaches of having such a setup is going to make it not worth it.

You should be able to use your onboard video to run at least one of the monitors, it's a much lower power option than trying to use the 980 that way. You might need to enable a setting in the BIOS on your motherboard to get it to work, that will depend on the mobo so if it does not just work out of the box take a look at settings in the BIOS.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
It used to be that when there were over a hundred new posts overnight, something interesting had happened in the world of GPUs.

Now it just seems to be the "complain about 1070/1080 supply constraints" thread. NVIDIA have definitely got a successful launch on their hands!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HalloKitty posted:

It used to be that when there were over a hundred new posts overnight, something interesting had happened in the world of GPUs.

Now it just seems to be the "complain about 1070/1080 supply constraints" thread. NVIDIA have definitely got a successful launch on their hands!

Lol very true

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You should be able to use your onboard video to run at least one of the monitors, it's a much lower power option than trying to use the 980 that way. You might need to enable a setting in the BIOS on your motherboard to get it to work, that will depend on the mobo so if it does not just work out of the box take a look at settings in the BIOS.

I hadn't even thought about the possibility of onboard video. Hopes were raised, only to be dashed when I discovered my mobo doesn't have an onboard video controller.

I might just throw the 980 in there anyway to give things a try and if I brownout, I brownout and I'll just upgrade the power supply then. I'm more looking if there are any significant issues splitting a desktop across different cards (and specifically in a gaming setup) before I go through the hassle. It's very hard to Google for information about multi-GPU setups because nearly all the results that turn up are about SLI.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

ijyt posted:

This is a dumb topic to have in the GPU thread BUT if Cortana can't even launch Edge straight into a google/bing search then whats the point.

Also talking to technology is still dumb. Windows 10 is bad.

e: back on topic at this rate I might as well cancel my pre-order and just buy a card in the US when I visit in September.

For a second I thought you meant Windows Phone Cortana which is pretty drat great. Then after applying comprehension upon the post reading process I realize that someone is using Cortana on the desktop? People do that?

Windows Phone 8+ as an OS is actually really good. But last week I got a Nexus 6 and the app store alone is worth the switch.

To be relevant to thread has anyone already poo poo all over WCCF's reports of Polaris 10 releasing at 1.267 GHz but supposedly doing 1.4+ overclocks easily on air?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
It's WCCF, it comes pre-shitted for our convenience.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Got my EK waterblock installed and let it run through the 3GB memory burner in ScannerX after some quick (no voltage) overclocking. After 45 minutes it was at 2100MHz (max 2151) and memory held stable at 5500MHz, the GPU hit a maximum of 57C (Also had IntelBurnTest running on 2600k 4.5GHz). This is +150 Offset and +550 Offset on memory for an EVGA GTX1080 SC. I'm pretty happy with this after running a GTX780 since the price drop/release of the 780ti.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

So would I be better off upgrading my system from an i5-2500K and 8gigs of I dunno if its even DDR2 or 3 from 5+ years ago and keep my 960 or getting a 1080 ?

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

xthetenth posted:

And equally important, their GCN cards have all outperformed their NV equivalents in the long run. Imagine buying a 780 or even 780 Ti to last this long and looking at how the 290 drubs them.

I still run the OG 7970 and game at 4k.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Qmass posted:

So would I be better off upgrading my system from an i5-2500K and 8gigs of I dunno if its even DDR2 or 3 from 5+ years ago and keep my 960 or getting a 1080 ?

It's DDR3 and a 1070 would be the best upgrade for you, especially if you've already OCed the 2500k.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Qmass posted:

It's DDR3. You can probably get a pretty good overclock out of that processor as long as you have a decent cooler. Most games won't bottleneck on that CPU so it's probably worth hanging on to, at least until the next wave. That is, of course, unless you happen to play or want to play the games that are more CPU intensive.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's DDR3. You can probably get a pretty good overclock out of that processor as long as you have a decent cooler. Most games won't bottleneck on that CPU so it's probably worth hanging on to, at least until the next wave. That is, of course, unless you happen to play or want to play the games that are more CPU intensive.

Anyone have any experience with Paradox games after upgrading? They seem like the kind of game to be CPU-intensive. Will it reduce sluggishness to upgrade from an i7-3820 to an i7-6700k? I know the processor tends to be much less of a bottleneck these days, but I'm assuming it depends on the game.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Phlegmish posted:

Anyone have any experience with Paradox games after upgrading? They seem like the kind of game to be CPU-intensive. Will it reduce sluggishness to upgrade from an i7-3820 to an i7-6700k? I know the processor tends to be much less of a bottleneck these days, but I'm assuming it depends on the game.
Late game Paradox stuff needs all the CPU you can throw at it. Crusader Kings 2 is noticeably slower around 1350 with an overclocking 2600K at 4.6ghz, but far more sluggish at stock CPU speeds. I'd think a 6700k would help just for the overclocking potential but I'm not sure by how much.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Apologies for making GBS threads up the thread with supply constraints complaints. Fridays are the most difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You all need to stop talking about these new gpus. Im getting more and more tempted to replace my 980ti and i only play contageon and CSGO