Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Kone pure it is. I assume the military is just a camo-looking version and that it's otherwise the same?

Going to get that in quick so I can sell off my used G502, the refurb 502 that's still sitting in its box unopened, the 402, and this Savu. =P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
If I recall the Military ones have the better sensor than the regular Kone ones. All 3 of the military, desert/camo/naval are essentially the same, just a different color shell. You can find a refurbished for like $24 or a new one for about $29. Newegg and Woot both recently had deals on it where it came with a mousepad for $30.

I like to keep an eye out on Build a PC Sales subreddit with mouse filter to see if any deals pop up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, in searching for all my mice in order to take photos for selling, look at what I found!

Behold, ye noobs! See before you a legend in its time, now and forever!

Now, I honestly don't remember what the crap was wrong with it, whether it was a dying right-click or the disconnect-reconnect of doom, but if it's the latter, I'm loving dissecting this g502 for its cable and bringing this thing back to life.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, in searching for all my mice in order to take photos for selling, look at what I found!

Now, I honestly don't remember what the crap was wrong with it, whether it was a dying right-click or the disconnect-reconnect of doom, but if it's the latter, I'm loving dissecting this g502 for its cable and bringing this thing back to life.

it's a good mouse, and i still feel a little regret in giving that to my brother

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
When I moved three months ago, I found three of those in ziplock bags in my cable box.

I got rid of two of them, even though I think they were in perfectly good condition. :(

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Aranan posted:

When I moved three months ago, I found three of those in ziplock bags in my cable box.

I got rid of two of them, even though I think they were in perfectly good condition. :(

Are there MX518 fakes out there? This guy has a truckload http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Logitec...AQAAOSwAL9Ub-6F

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Megalixir posted:

Are there MX518 fakes out there? This guy has a truckload http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Logitec...AQAAOSwAL9Ub-6F

I doubt he'd have so much good feedback if they were fake. It's likely just not that big of a deal because the G400 and G400S were essentially the same mouse with newer sensors. It's pretty cool that they're still out there if people want them, though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You mean, the G400 was a piece of utter crap. My first three G400s (plural, the brown one) contracted disconnect-reconnect syndrome within six months of use. The last G400 (singular, again, the brown one) was one of the ones with the newer sensor without prediction, and lasted a year until they replaced it for me again with a G400s (singular, the blue "digital" one) that lasted me for two.

That's how I wound up being on the G502 I'm on now, as a warranty replacement chaining all the way back to that very first G400 that was supposed to replace the mouse I just posted a photo of.

Logitech REALLY doesn't make mice the way they used to*. That MX518 outlasted its warranty, as did the MX500 before it. No other mouse of theirs that I have owned has ever come close.

Megalixir posted:

Hrm. Assuming that's a legit listing, I might get two or three. Those mice are burned into my muscle memory, it'd be like getting the use of my right hand back after five plus years of paralysis.

I bought two and took one apart FOR SCIENCE: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963&pagenumber=185&perpage=40#post461266582

*To be honest, I don't think they make ANYTHING the way they used to. All their new stuff is poo poo compared to what I was using before. They used to make a USB desktop microphone that was $20, and beat the pants off anything Blue makes. Those microphones sell for $100+ from scalpers on Ebay and poo poo now. The one I was using, I gave away to a friend. It was when I was was looking to replace it after getting back into games that needed team coordination that I found out that production of those was discontinued a year or two ago.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 21, 2016

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I'm surprised they aren't worth hundreds of dollars by now, like some trackball mice, the G9, and the MX Revolution

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I agree. By all rights, they should be. I think it's not because of the older sensor.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

This dingy usb mic I bought 10 years ago because it was "usb" is worth $150 now? What the gently caress is wrong with this world

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Since we're talking about old products, what's the best way to clean one up? Cotton ball dampened with rubbing alcohol? The only thing I'm worried about is rubbing off some of the paint/coating from this.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

What's the best replacement for the Anker 8200 DPI mouse? I don't want a billion side buttons like the MMO mice, maybe 2-3 or a few buttons on top.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Precision-Programmable-Buttons-Cartridges/dp/B00AAQRNQ8/ is what I had before, but I guess they don't make it anymore.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm using a Mx518 Logitech, and for a couple of weeks now it has this weird bug, where it stops moving for a second, and then starts moving again at a lower dpi. Anyone know what causes this?

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They used to make a USB desktop microphone that was $20, and beat the pants off anything Blue makes. Those microphones sell for $100+ from scalpers on Ebay and poo poo now.

To be fair here, saying they sound better than a Blue is a bit exaggerated, but it did always sound pretty good, and I found this really funny to see how much these go for. I might have to sell the one I replaced on eBay seeing as I can get as much or more than I paid for it 7+ years ago!

As for mouses, can anyone explain the differences in the Zowie mouses? Is it just size differences?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There are several shapes, and then within each shape there are different sizes.

For example, the EC1-A is an ergonomic (non-ambidextrous) shape similar to the ms Intellimouse, razer deathadder, steel series rival, etc. the ec2-a is the same mouse but with a slightly smaller shell. I'm actually trying to decide which amongst those three I like best - I think it's between the ec1-a and rival right now. I have 20cm hands and a palm grip.

The ZA1* and FK* are ambidextrous mice. Not sure which popular mice they are similar in shape to. Ambi shapes aren't a good fit for me

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Blazing Ownager posted:

This may have come up elsewhere in the thread but this is THE BEST mouse I've ever used:
https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-M90...=redragon+mouse

$30 and it puts mice 4x that price to shame. The software is dead simple and reliable as hell, it's feature loaded, the buttons are setup so you don't accidentally hit them, EVERY aspect can be customized right down to the mouse wheel and buttons; it swaps profiles like a dream and the color-setting gimmick is actually practical on the mouse, since you can tie different colors to different profiles.

Seriously, best $30-35 I've ever spent. I recommend it to everyone. I recently bought a spare because I'd hate to go without it if mine ever breaks, but despite 3+ years of TOTAL abuse, it's showing no signs of weakness. The best drat mouse.

ED: I don't play MMOs but do you haven't surfed the web until you've had everything from copy/paste to refresh/forward/backward on the side buttons. I swear I'm not employed by Redragon (their keyboards are meh at best in my experience) but this particular mouse is a huge, huge cut above.

Above: Kickass mouse.

ED: One caveat - you need to like larger mice. My girlfriend hates it because it's too large. If you like large mice, though, it's a 10/10; I can't stress how much that angled-side button layout helps you from accidentally smashing those all the time.

You had me right up until "laser". drat it all.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

You had me right up until "laser". drat it all.

Yeah it's got accel built in to the sensor, though it's apparently one of the better laser sensors you can get for what that's worth. The other huge downside is it weighs 150g which makes it an absolute brick. Price is pretty good for the quality of parts though, probably not a bad choice for just browsing and MMOs.

Not a ton of great low-end gaming mice around. The G100s is one of the cheapest decent namebrand options at around $25. Roccat Kone Military is fairly okay parts but Roccat has absolutely terrible quality control and they straight up wont honor their warranties so I put them in the same category as Razor products. And for that matter, mice like the Naos or any Zowie product don't cost a whole lot more and are vastly better products.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mike12345 posted:

I'm using a Mx518 Logitech, and for a couple of weeks now it has this weird bug, where it stops moving for a second, and then starts moving again at a lower dpi. Anyone know what causes this?
It's likely turning off then on.

Lots of times you can just open the shell, firmly press the usb cable toward the pcb, and then close the shell to fix it. No wire repair or replacement necessary.

The Mx518 internals remind me of a prototype. It's that easy to work with.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

mike12345 posted:

Probably not the cause, but just in case, check the hole for the optical light for dirt and hair.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Khorne posted:

It's likely turning off then on.

Lots of times you can just open the shell, firmly press the usb cable toward the pcb, and then close the shell to fix it. No wire repair or replacement necessary.

The Mx518 internals remind me of a prototype. It's that easy to work with.

Yeah that's it. I wiggled the cord a bit, and it turned off and on again. ta

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There's the G900 :q:
But seriously it's an incredibly good mouse, medium weight (105g), has the freespin wheel, is made by Logitech, and the wireless performance is perfect. The price tag is the big deal of course. I've been playing OW on mine since release and it's great. I can't imagine having to deal with a corded mouse for gaming anymore, every time I use my G502 (now moved over to my work laptop) it just feels like a brick.

Picked this one up as I was needing a wireless, and had a 502 last. Do you find it easy to make use of the ambidextrous side buttons? Seems the easiest way to reach it would be with your pinky finger which seems odd, but my ring finger can't make the curl without requiring me to move off the primary click.

So far the weight feels nice, buttons are very clicky and haven't misfired from resting on them which was a thing I had to train out of with the 502. Little large for small hands, but that is kind of expected with Logitech mice so it isn't a problem, roughly same size as the 502 with a different layout. With that said, it's pretty comfortable and fits nicely for a claw or palm grip so far.

I've seen mention to ignore the logitech software surface tuner, however does this mean use the factory default only, or are the cloth / hard surface presets safe to use?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I can hit the offside buttons with my ring or pinky finger, but not particularly accurately. Due to the way I grip the mouse I just ended up taking them off, they're just right in the way of where my fingers should grip so it's just more comfortable to not have them at all.
I use the Tilt Left/Right as extra utility buttons instead when I need more.

I don't really know the details on what causes the tuning bug (which causes the mouse to spin out of control), but everyone just seems to say to use the default surface tuning only. So probably don't use the cloth/hard presets either if you just want to be safe. I mean you can always try them, you'll definitely know if you get the bug.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Not a ton of great low-end gaming mice around. The G100s is one of the cheapest decent namebrand options at around $25. Roccat Kone Military is fairly okay parts but Roccat has absolutely terrible quality control and they straight up wont honor their warranties so I put them in the same category as Razor products. And for that matter, mice like the Naos or any Zowie product don't cost a whole lot more and are vastly better products.

Good advice, thanks. I've been looking at one of THese Guys as a replacement for a G500 that's out of warranty for replacement, and doubleclicking constantly.

Anyone know anything about Utechsmart? Its kind of between this and a G700; i'd be looking to expand my thumb buttons up to more than 3.

Blazing Ownager, could you share some more deets about that Red Dragon mouse? What kind of functions do you map on the thumbbuttons? How smooth is depressing it - any sort of jolt that throws off aim, or is it a smooth depress?
I could see myself using like, forward, back, enter. Push to talk. Sell me on this - do you really use all twelve for 'convenience buttons?' It kinda looks like the forward ones would be thumb-straining or inconvenient to hit regularly.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

I've never 100% understood the Logitech surface tuning. Is it LOD adjustment only? I recently got a G640 pad but have only been using the default setting on the G900.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Good news. The mouse was a case of disconnect-reconnect. Bearing that in mind, anyone know if Logitech still uses the same pinouts for their cables across the entire line? May wind up just grabbing a cheapo m100 (you know, the $10 one) and doing a wire-ectomy and transplant.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Weird how people have issues with different models. I went through four or five MX518s in a very short span back in the day, switched to an original G5 which lasted years and then to a G500 which still works fine to this day.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Good news. The mouse was a case of disconnect-reconnect. Bearing that in mind, anyone know if Logitech still uses the same pinouts for their cables across the entire line? May wind up just grabbing a cheapo m100 (you know, the $10 one) and doing a wire-ectomy and transplant.

A cord swap would be best but if you have to you can cut a chunk out of the cord where the break is and solder it back together. I did some bad surgery on my G400 after they replaced it with a G400S and removed the offending break in the cord:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963&userid=164239&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post441403431

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mike12345 posted:

Yeah that's it. I wiggled the cord a bit, and it turned off and on again. ta
Maybe you should get a wireless mouse. :v:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

poo poo yeah man! If this is the one I'm thinking of, then there was a small tray that slid out the bottom that you could load little circular weights into. Got to get that mouse just right so I could pwn noobs in CS:S.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I think you're thinking of the g9x

They were all the rage back in 2011. K1llsen of Quake and a few Korean Starcraft 2 pros used them. People were using them without the shell, which did make the side buttons almost entirely inaccessible, but for people who only needed left/right it was a pretty great mouse.

I only sold mine because it was laser and I wasn't playing any games on PC which justified needing it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No, I think they've mistaken it for a G5. It had the same shape as the MX518, but included a DPI indicator, was short one thumb button, and had a weight tray on the bottom. My old roommate moved to one after his Intellimouse finally crapped out.

WRT that ebay listing, I did not end up buying from that listing in particular, as there was another one listing the last two MX518s from a similarly large batch for slightly cheaper with more positive seller rep. Will report on reciept.

I bought two and took one apart FOR SCIENCE: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963&pagenumber=185&perpage=40#post461266582

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 21, 2016

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Edit: see above

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No, I think they've mistaken it for a G5. It had the same shape as the MX518, but included a DPI indicator, was short one thumb button, and had a weight tray on the bottom. My old roommate moved to one after his Intellimouse finally crapped out.

WRT that ebay listing, I did not end up buying from that listing in particular, as there was another one listing the last two MX518s from a similarly large batch for slightly cheaper with more positive seller rep. Will report on reciept.

Not quite the same shape (slightly larger and rounder IIRC) and it committed that most serious of cardinal sins of mouse design: the sensor was off-center. If you tend to hold your mouse at a bit of an angle but not always the exact same angle, that particular aspect can throw off your aim significantly.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Which mouse does the thread recommend to someone who is aghast to discover they don't make MX518s anymore? From pictures it seems like the G400s looks somewhat similar?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
G400s is out of production too. Welcome to planned obsolescence - isn't it fun?

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Per posted:

Which mouse does the thread recommend to someone who is aghast to discover they don't make MX518s anymore? From pictures it seems like the G400s looks somewhat similar?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Logitec...AQAAOSwAL9Ub-6F ?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

FWIW, closing in on 2 years with my Sensei Raw. No issues, and I'm not known for being gentle.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

[

The G500 had a similar setup but with a smaller number of slots for weights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
What exactly is the difference between the Zowie FK and the Zowie ZA series? Reviews I found make it sound like ZA is the successor to the FK series, but FK seems to be still listed under the current line-up.

(Also, relatedly, is it a known Zowie FK2 issue that the plastic on the sides gets all smooth and weird to touch very fast?)