Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
I guess I meant to say Friday the 17th, after dragon boat festival. I'll post in the Line chat closer to the date to see where I should train up to and visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

simplefish posted:

Would I be correct in thinking that as long as we're near a subway/MTR that, like here in Hong Kong, you can get to anywhere reasonable in Taipei in 30-60 minutes?

More or less, yeah.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah worst comes to worst you can easily catch a taxi, but unless you're heading to like Danshui or something you can get basically anywhere in Taipei City within an hour. And around Da'an is even better because that poo poo is p central.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Thanks guys

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
It's 4am, I'm sitting at Taoyuan, the only thing open with food and drinks is a seven. There's a ton of Alishan stuff. Did I even leave Chiayi?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I left Taoyuan on the day before it completely flooded. I wonder if the air conditioning and everything is finally back on...

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

ntan1 posted:

I left Taoyuan on the day before it completely flooded. I wonder if the air conditioning and everything is finally back on...

Which terminal? I'm sitting on the mezzanine above the check-in counters at terminal 2, and looks fine so far.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

YF19pilot posted:

Which terminal? I'm sitting on the mezzanine above the check-in counters at terminal 2, and looks fine so far.

Ah, it was 2. So I guessed they fixed it.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

ntan1 posted:

Ah, it was 2. So I guessed they fixed it.

Yeah, 2 was fixed. Couldn't tell anything happened.

Otherwise, today was awesome. Hopped down to Verizon to see if I could get a SIM card for my phone. Some redneck going on about "dem smart phones" hears me talking about my phone being from Taiwan and this happens:

:clint: "Excuse, me. Are you an American citizen?"
:): "Uh, Yes."
:clint: "Where you stationed?"
:): "I'm in Taiwan."
:clint: "How you like living with all 'dem terrorists?"
:): "We don't have any of those there. It's pretty quiet."
:clint: "Do you use numbers with that (points at phone) or do ya gotta use their Chinese Japanese alphabet or whatever?"
:): "Just normal numbers."

I kicked myself after the fact that I could've made his head explode if I said I used Arabic numbers.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, 2 was fixed. Couldn't tell anything happened.

Otherwise, today was awesome. Hopped down to Verizon to see if I could get a SIM card for my phone. Some redneck going on about "dem smart phones" hears me talking about my phone being from Taiwan and this happens:

:clint: "Do you use numbers with that (points at phone) or do ya gotta use their Chinese Japanese alphabet or whatever?"

I kicked myself after the fact that I could've made his head explode if I said I used Arabic numbers.

When he asked you about living with terrorists, you should have said you don't know because you don't live in the US right now

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

It's good to be home.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

lokk posted:

I guess I meant to say Friday the 17th, after dragon boat festival. I'll post in the Line chat closer to the date to see where I should train up to and visit.

For a minute there I thought I'd missed you.

We'll catch up on LINE for details :)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Hey panda I'm bored and need to drink a beer.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

None of you got busted for growing weed and killed yourselves in court yesterday, right?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Moon Slayer posted:

None of you got busted for growing weed and killed yourselves in court yesterday, right?

Suicide over a four year sentence? I know Taiwanese prison ain't exactly a picnic but come on, what the hell kind of reaction is that. I suspect the world isn't missing much.

Also, smuggling two 8 inch blades? It sure seems like he was already in custody, so how does that even happen :confused:

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
he killed himself after realizing he was in taiwan for 15 years but still needed someone to translate "four years"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm going to be in Banqiao in like half an hour panda. Let's do this.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

this is a stickup posted:

he killed himself after realizing he was in taiwan for 15 years but still needed someone to translate "four years"

Maybe he only learned Taiwanese.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
maybe four years was too scary and eight years would've made him a lot happier

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

He heard the word "si" and decided you can't fire me, I quit.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
To be fair if my Chinese was that bad and I thought someone would eventually come for me unannounced in the night, handcuff me to the floor and put three bullets in me, I'd likely take matters into my own hands.

As is though it's fairly tragic regardless of what was going through his head.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Well at least now the people of Taiwan are safe from having a good time, let's all go get dangerously drunk to celebrate.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Hey panda I'm still out and about four the next couple of days. You could meet me in Sanxia tonight and hang with my Taiwanese friends. I promise not to make it overly romantic.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Panda has important things to masturbate to.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me
Oh dammit, that was today. Sorry, bro, totally forgot. I'll be in the city tomorrow after rugby or Tuesday. Sunday got plans and Monday I'm recording all day.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

Oh dammit, that was today. Sorry, bro, totally forgot. I'll be in the city tomorrow after rugby or Tuesday. Sunday got plans and Monday I'm recording all day.

Wanna be my date to a bbq with old coworkers?

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

When? Tomorrow? I can't break the solemn tradition of getting pissed with everyone after a rugby game.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pandemonium posted:

When? Tomorrow? I can't break the solemn tradition of getting pissed with everyone after a rugby game.

Well bbq starts at 4 but these things go late. You can always meet up with me a bit later.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Wanna be my date to a bbq with old coworkers?

This offer is cool and good, but only if it is v. romantic. Think it over Panda, don't jump into this if he isn't ready to woo.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Just finished with rugby. Not looking good for BBQ in Sanxia. Let's maybe setup a date for tomorrow?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm going south tomorrow. I'll be around tonight though.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

And the crowd goes mild.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

Brass monkey for the rugby. Come on over!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pandemonium posted:

Brass monkey for the rugby. Come on over!

Hey, usually I'd love to, but I'm busy for at least the next few hours. Will you be out later tonight, though?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Brass Monkey is like every bar in Bangkok that I hate. If you move on, let me know.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Brass Monkey is like every bar in Bangkok that I hate. If you move on, let me know.

If the Brass Monkey were in Bangkok it would be one of the superficially respectable ones that later turns out to be a Russian mafia front or a boiler room scam or something dumb like that.

But the food would probably be better.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah it just feels like the Royal Oak or one of them but I'm also under the impression that it has working girls on occasion which makes it a step below.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

It's full of guys watching rugby right now. Very low key. I'll be here till like 10.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My wife and I will be going to Taiwan for 5 days, we'll arrive in Taipei, stay there for 1 night, then down to Kenting for 2 nights, and finally Kaohsiung for 1 night.

We are adventurous eaters and particularly like Japanese style izakayas where you can order tons of different things for very little money and eat loads of it while getting drunk. I'd like some recommendations on places to eat that are like that. The places can be Chinese-speaking only, totally obscure, have no seats, or even be dirty and we won't care, we just want very good food for as little money as possible with as much choice as possible, since that's how we normally eat in Japan. Do you have any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Shibawanko posted:

My wife and I will be going to Taiwan for 5 days, we'll arrive in Taipei, stay there for 1 night, then down to Kenting for 2 nights, and finally Kaohsiung for 1 night.

We are adventurous eaters and particularly like Japanese style izakayas where you can order tons of different things for very little money and eat loads of it while getting drunk. I'd like some recommendations on places to eat that are like that. The places can be Chinese-speaking only, totally obscure, have no seats, or even be dirty and we won't care, we just want very good food for as little money as possible with as much choice as possible, since that's how we normally eat in Japan. Do you have any recommendations?

night markets