Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I had no idea this was a thing, and now I'm excited.

The last thing I remember him writing was Crysis 2, which, despite being a game, is Richard K Morgan as hell and did a lot with his pet themes.

I did not know that. So R.K. Morgan wrote Crysis 2, the game, and Peter Watts wrote the novelisation? Huh.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

How are they going to handle resleeving for Kovacs I wonder? I feel like different actors might be jarring.

I guess I'll spoiler, which is weird because of how old the book it, but whatever.

Did Quantum Leap teach you nothing? They already set precedence for that by doing the following:

it'd be cool if they had one guy playing Kovacs, but every time he saw himself in the mirror or on a camera, it was played by someone else, or something similar. It'd get around the actor problem while still keeping that whole "someone else's face looking back at you" weirdness.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh, neat! The sequel to Rook is out now.

Called Stiletto. Up on amazon or your favorite book/ebook retailer.

Read this. It was a fun ride, although I wouldn't have minded some additional buddy-cop antics between our Checquy and Grafter protagonists. Maybe next book, since the two organisations are firmly allied now?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm currently reading it and sorely miss Myfanwy's letters to herself.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

it'd be cool if they had one guy playing Kovacs, but every time he saw himself in the mirror or on a camera, it was played by someone else, or something similar. It'd get around the actor problem while still keeping that whole "someone else's face looking back at you" weirdness.

Yeah. Just Quantum Leap it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
No don't. Different actors! One of Altered Carbon's big themes is the way that the body changes personality and behavior. Force the audience to reckon with the change!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

General Battuta posted:

No don't. Different actors! One of Altered Carbon's big themes is the way that the body changes personality and behavior. Force the audience to reckon with the change!

It's easier to present that in novels, since Kovacs' narrative voice doesn't change substantially.

They'd definitely have to do something along the lines of having all the different actors utilize the same kind of body language and verbal tics. Otherwise too many people are going to take too long to figure out who this new jamoke is each time he re-sleeves and it will be more annoying than clever.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

Altered Carbon, starring Tatiana Maslany as Takeshi Kovacs.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Just use a mustache and add a limp

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

flosofl posted:

It's easier to present that in novels, since Kovacs' narrative voice doesn't change substantially.

They'd definitely have to do something along the lines of having all the different actors utilize the same kind of body language and verbal tics. Otherwise too many people are going to take too long to figure out who this new jamoke is each time he re-sleeves and it will be more annoying than clever.

Voice-over narration could go a long way toward solving this problem.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Kesper North posted:

Altered Carbon, starring Tatiana Maslany as Takeshi Kovacs.
I was going to suggest Enver Gjokaj, actually. Haven't seen him much myself, but from the Orphan Black threads he's probably a match as a chameleon.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Enver Gjokaj proved in Dollhouse that he is the male Tatiana Maslany (or rather vice versa, since Dollhouse came before Orphan Black), in that he can play any role imaginable that gets thrown at him. Their range is limitless.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Altered Carbon has a built-in excuse to be an anthology show.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I just got finished reading Tambu by Robert Aspirin and I really enjoyed it, far more than I expected to. Are there any other books in a similar vein? The moral interludes of the interview sections were kinda meh, but I really enjoyed the concept of a coming of age story focusing more on the establishment of a character stereotype and, basically, a corporation that wasn't tied to a heroic adventure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Junkenstein posted:

I did not know that. So R.K. Morgan wrote Crysis 2, the game, and Peter Watts wrote the novelisation? Huh.

Yep. And apparently he wrote a A Land Fit For Heroes game that came out a month ago (and looks godawful). Huh. Looks like he isn't doing much on the books side of things anymore, which is a shame.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

It's very possible that I've missed it in this thread, but did anyone know that this was happening?

How will this even work?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

XBenedict posted:

It's very possible that I've missed it in this thread, but did anyone know that this was happening?

How will this even work?

Just do the first book and tweak the ending.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was surprised (in a good way) they they are looking at making a Nightside series (based off the Simon Green books).

Now, if they can avoid using "it's the easiest thing in the world" and "suddenly, violently, and all over the place" 12 times an episode it'll be a show worth watching.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

mcustic posted:

Just use a mustache and add a limp

You're kidding, but it would be cool if they used the same actor just with really good make-up, so he's just different enough

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl

navyjack posted:

You're kidding, but it would be cool if they used the same actor just with really good make-up, so he's just different enough

Sort of like Cloud Atlas? I think the voice over idea would be pretty good. From the books Kovac doesn't seem to change bodies very much as far as I remember but if they are expanding the series it would be neat to see prior bodies and missions.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I just read the book and it seems like they would need to do a fair amount of flashbacks anyway.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

FowlTheOwl posted:

Sort of like Cloud Atlas? I think the voice over idea would be pretty good. From the books Kovac doesn't seem to change bodies very much as far as I remember but if they are expanding the series it would be neat to see prior bodies and missions.

he spends most of the book in the body of that cop's boyfriend, so it should be clear enough.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was surprised (in a good way) they they are looking at making a Nightside series (based off the Simon Green books).

Now, if they can avoid using "it's the easiest thing in the world" and "suddenly, violently, and all over the place" 12 times an episode it'll be a show worth watching.

I read one of these and it was so derivative that it felt almost like parody what with all the gritty detective stuff and supernatural London and all that.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Stiletto is a weird book: there are tons of scenes which I didn't like, where unnecessary or contained plotholes. Yet overall I did enjoy reading it despite all it flaws.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, I think the overall weirdness to me was that Myfanwy was made sort of a background character and I was expecting her to be front and center again.

It was a weird book, but pretty good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

XBenedict posted:

How will this even work?

Well, the guy writing/directing it just did Ex Machina, which was also a movie with a very minimal cast and wasn't afraid to go dark as hell.

Anyway, I finished reading Too Like the Lightning today and I really enjoyed it up until the end when it became obvious that it wasn't actually going to wrap anything up. I'm just getting tired of reading stuff where they just don't stick the landing.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Finished The Two of Swords Part One. It was my first K.J. Parker, and I liked it quite a bit. I picked up Sharps but I think I'll try and catch up on the serial first.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I recently finished Perfect State. It's my first Brandon Sanderson, and I liked it a lot, especially since it seems self-aware about Sanderson's favorite tropes.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Sorry if this is a bit of a nonsensical question, but after having finished both The Company and the first book in The Engineer trilogy, I can safely say that I love Parker's style but can't quite handle how bleak his works are: any suggestions for something in a similar vein but perhaps an itsy bitsy smidgen more optimistic?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Robot Wendigo posted:

Finished The Two of Swords Part One. It was my first K.J. Parker, and I liked it quite a bit. I picked up Sharps but I think I'll try and catch up on the serial first.

Don't do it! The two of swords won't be finished for forever so go onto sharps and give Parker more time to finish two of swords.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

The Crooked Warden posted:

Sorry if this is a bit of a nonsensical question, but after having finished both The Company and the first book in The Engineer trilogy, I can safely say that I love Parker's style but can't quite handle how bleak his works are: any suggestions for something in a similar vein but perhaps an itsy bitsy smidgen more optimistic?

I'm with you and I found his stuff depressed me a lot less in short form. Try Academic Exercises. Most of those stories are available online, as well, if you google the title.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
So, Yoon Ha Lee is really, really good. This may not be news to people, but his new novel, Ninefox Gambit, is out and it's certainly something. Military SF.

This is sort-of a prequel short story? I haven't got very far into the novel yet.

(I can't help but think of Traveller's Imperial Office of Calendar Compliance...)

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!
I've finished "Encounter with Tiber", co-written by Buzz Aldrin and John Barnes.

It is not a bad read. The "future history" part is a bit naive and overoptimistic (in the novel chronology we would be sending our first manned mission to Phobos in two years), but the alternative astronautics development is a nice read, with some curious parallelisms to real history. There is a character that is a sort of blend between Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson, and the workhorse of the US is a scaled up Apollo Capsule built by the french under Rockwell license . The space travel infrastrucure is unsurprisingly based on Aldrin's non-fiction works.

The main trouble with the novel is the Aliens. Actually, there are not aliens at all. They are basically furry humans, with very human motivations, hatreds and political stuff going on. Nevertheless, it is a nice read to see the worst and the best of the human condition projected onto an alien race. Racism, slavery anc colonialism are main drivers in the aliens story. The main "leson" of the book being "do not be bigots, love and support each other and do whatever necessary to reach the starts, or you will die".

There is another book written by the pair (The Return), but the reviews don't look very promising. Has anyone read it?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I wonder how they'll handle Kovac doing Meth like ALL the time.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

That's hardly the only drug he takes.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Stross The nightmare stacks have just been shipped to me.
Let us hope it is better than the last, which was kinda disappointing.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

chrisoya posted:

So, Yoon Ha Lee is really, really good. This may not be news to people, but his new novel, Ninefox Gambit, is out and it's certainly something. Military SF.

This is sort-of a prequel short story? I haven't got very far into the novel yet.

(I can't help but think of Traveller's Imperial Office of Calendar Compliance...)
From what I've read it sounds really cool, but does it, er, wrap up? I've read a lot of "first-book-of-a-trilogy" this year and it's really beginning to burn my biscuits. Not that the books aren't good but I feel like I have enough dangling plot threads to make a nice bead curtain at this point.

By the way, seconding that Stiletto was fun and a solid read. Diving a bit deeper into the mad science of the Grafters was fun after the X-Men style hijinks of The Rook.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

chrisoya posted:

I haven't read this but A Vector Alphabet of Interstellar Travel was very good and reminded me of Borges a little bit in a way that is kind of hard to pin down.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

RoboCicero posted:

From what I've read it sounds really cool, but does it, er, wrap up? I've read a lot of "first-book-of-a-trilogy" this year and it's really beginning to burn my biscuits. Not that the books aren't good but I feel like I have enough dangling plot threads to make a nice bead curtain at this point.
I have no idea how it ends yet, due to jobs and things other than reading. Reviews suggest it ends well, but you can read everything else he's written instead? It's good stuff. Edit: there was a metafilter post that linked to a ton of short fiction.

Dude really likes his foxes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

chrisoya posted:

After reading The Big Idea: Yoon Ha Lee on Scalzi's blog, it went straight to the top on my "To buy next" list on Amazon.