Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Competitive seems completely optional so who cares. If you don't want visible mmr, just play quick match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Broken Cog posted:

Competitive seems completely optional so who cares. If you don't want visible mmr, just play quick match

but i need the golden gun

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Tequila Sunrise posted:

How do I, as a single player, counter 6 D.Vas? I know bastion and some Reinhardts can work, but im assuming my team won't switch.

The only counter to teamwork is teamwork.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
People blame poorly performing players either way.

Anyway, MMR isn't going to be revealed, just a function of it that sounds like it's going to put you within a relative percentile. He was also very upfront that any differentials in the group's average SR will mean the lower SR will gain more.

Schnugaf
Mar 23, 2011

The Great Derposaurus
I had a really good Tracer game last night while playing with some goons.

Thought I'd share it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmL5FYu6Tk0

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Reading posts from goons itt that get mad when they lose a online video game match is my new fetish. It's also a reminder that people who play mobas are scum.

TheVekter
Sep 29, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tequila Sunrise posted:

How do I, as a single player, counter 6 D.Vas? I know bastion and some Reinhardts can work, but im assuming my team won't switch.

You don't, not as a single player. Either you go Reaper and try to clean them up or get your team to switch.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Opposing Farce posted:

but i need the golden gun

What's this about a golden gun?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RC Cola posted:

What's this about a golden gun?

http://kotaku.com/blizzard-dishes-on-what-overwatchs-competitive-mode-wil-1782183845

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I can't imagine any more boring activity in the world than watching Overwatch eSports, so is that why Double Tank is a thing? Seems like every payload map has Reinhardt and either Diva or Zarya on the same team. Used to be around launch that every team had one tank just so the "NO TANKS, IDIOT" light would disappear, but now everyone is taking two tanks and stomping my teams.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Am I doing something wrong with D.Va or is it stupidly difficult to take out Widowmaker? It just seems like the giant mech should have zero trouble taking out the sniper if I fly in to point blank range, but it almost never works that way. I can flank her, get in close, and start shooting, and she'll be able to back up and start firing her assault rifle at me while getting into a better position, and now it's a 1v1 with my lovely shotguns vs. her mediocre assault rifle.

I kinda wish D.Va's shotguns had the Natascha effect from TF2, where they could slow down the movement speed of targets under fire. Make them thematic and call them her bubblegum cannons or something, I don't care. It just seems ridiculous how easy it is for fairly squishy targets to just run out of your effective range.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

d.va has a massive head and is a big target in general, so yea it can be rough taking out a widow with her. also d.va can barely move while firing in the mech which means that widows can easily escape with the grappling hook

winston is better at it

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Cephas posted:

Am I doing something wrong with D.Va or is it stupidly difficult to take out Widowmaker? It just seems like the giant mech should have zero trouble taking out the sniper if I fly in to point blank range, but it almost never works that way. I can flank her, get in close, and start shooting, and she'll be able to back up and start firing her assault rifle at me while getting into a better position, and now it's a 1v1 with my lovely shotguns vs. her mediocre assault rifle.

I kinda wish D.Va's shotguns had the Natascha effect from TF2, where they could slow down the movement speed of targets under fire. Make them thematic and call them her bubblegum cannons or something, I don't care. It just seems ridiculous how easy it is for fairly squishy targets to just run out of your effective range.

The "something wrong" is picking d.va

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
What's D.Va's head hitbox compared to Winston's? I got into an argument with a friend about it, he was pretty convinced that their heads are the same size and both in the center of their characters and I couldn't convince him otherwise

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Cephas posted:

D.Va is great at harassing Widowmaker but not particularly good at killing her. It's not so much D.Va's problem, because she has the right toolkit for the job. It's just Widowmaker is obnoxiously good at defending herself at close range or escaping with her grapple hook. She also has a tiny hitbox and a lot of people bind crouch to their jump, so she ends up turning into a little jumping pea that does as much damage as you do at close range.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Macaluso posted:

What's D.Va's head hitbox compared to Winston's? I got into an argument with a friend about it, he was pretty convinced that their heads are the same size and both in the center of their characters and I couldn't convince him otherwise

Dva's head is in her center and doesn't Bob. Road hog and Winston has weird gaits that move their head around a bit.
But if you just walk at widow with Winston she can left click your face to death, you have to use the shield.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Slowpoke! posted:

and a lot of people bind crouch to their jump

Is that a thing? I thought the animators just decided to be cute and make her flex her legs while jumping.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

a cat on an apple posted:

People blame poorly performing players either way.

Anyway, MMR isn't going to be revealed, just a function of it that sounds like it's going to put you within a relative percentile. He was also very upfront that any differentials in the group's average SR will mean the lower SR will gain more.

The idea is that they'll blame the lowest MMR players instead of the poorest performing players. But whatever, I don't think it's a huge deal or a reason not to play competitive

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Elman posted:

Is that a thing? I thought the animators just decided to be cute and make her flex her legs while jumping.

It's a thing in TF2 so I assumed that was what people were doing with Widowmaker, since it makes her so small.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

They should at least let you see your mmr rather than whatever bullshit window dressing they put on it. Every blizzard ranking system has been trash and always lead people to third party solutions for their mmr (either sc2gears or hotslogs).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Competitive predictions:

For 90% of players it is going to be indistinguishable from quick play.

Emblems and sprays will be for actual achievement. Anything even halfway cool (guns) will be 100% grind.

Each season will reward either one particular gun or a random one. It will be 6 years before you get your favorite one.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

What's the best way to push people with Lucio? Sometimes I push them ridiculously far in one right click, other times I barely nudge them and they barely even leave the ground.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Soldier: 76 can do massive DPS to her gigantic critical spot from outside her optimal firing range, he has infinite sprint to run away out of range if she boosts at him and a healing field to clear away the damage she does. I played around with him on the practice range and at 15 or 20 meters he can go full-auto with his rifle and hit all shots on the stationary target bot. That's relevant because D.Va is basically stationary when she fires and her effective range is much shorter.

If they're coordinating and stacking their defensive Matrixes, go all Zarya and Symmetra because their beams can't be blocked. Reinhardt's charge is also annoying for a D.Va and his weapon can't be matrixed either.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Kurzon posted:

I've yet to see a Mei player deliberately griefing his teammates with ice wall.

Koth, Nepal: Sanctum, every loving time I activated death blossom, a blue wall would pop up and block everything off.

Mei is a credit to the team, just not yours.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

RogueTM posted:

Got it on Hollywood as a Zarya, standing on the payload behind a Reinhart from spawn to just short of the first checkpoint.

Thanks, shorter than I thought so I just need to tighten up staying on the cart.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
6 D.Va's on offense would be terrifying. 6 D.Va's on defense not so much. The best thing you could do is not play a stationary hero like Roadhog or D.Va because they are easy to hit with the pistol and you would be constantly giving pilot D.Va back her mech.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Dva is not scary.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Well if they were just flying around not going for the objective, it would just be annoying. But if they were always around the Payload or attacking the point, they would be really difficult to kill since you have to always kill D.Va twice, and there are lots of ways to quickly get back your mech. It wouldn't be difficult for them to chain a couple of ult's on the point while they cap, either.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Last night I played with a group of 4-5 friends for most of the night and I swear a good 75% of our games where we were attacking the defending team had 4+ Bastions or turret dwarf engineer dude. Is that a normal part of the meta? It was extremely annoying.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's popular thing to do when defending point B on a map. "Oh poo poo, we got overrun at A. Bring out the turrets to stall this game down!"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Charming

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Dva is not scary.

then why am i terrified of my teammates picking her?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

poo poo dude im not even 57 i must be SO bad

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

Well if they were just flying around not going for the objective, it would just be annoying. But if they were always around the Payload or attacking the point, they would be really difficult to kill since you have to always kill D.Va twice, and there are lots of ways to quickly get back your mech. It wouldn't be difficult for them to chain a couple of ult's on the point while they cap, either.

Roadhog and Reaper both maul the poo poo out of all dva teams

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

From some of the wording in that interview it sounds like stacks will be put up against pubs.

Sounds like a good idea that hasn't gone wrong for blizzard in the past at all.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Indecisive posted:

poo poo dude im not even 57 i must be SO bad
I'm sorry you had to find lout this way. :(

Night Blade posted:

From some of the wording in that interview it sounds like stacks will be put up against pubs.

Sounds like a good idea that hasn't gone wrong for blizzard in the past at all.
Blizzard matchmaking is so lovely they don't even understand why it's lovely.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Manatee Cannon posted:

d.va has a massive head and is a big target in general, so yea it can be rough taking out a widow with her. also d.va can barely move while firing in the mech which means that widows can easily escape with the grappling hook

winston is better at it

I can usually take out a widow with d.va. I fly up to them, start shredding them with my guns, and if they run my rockets are ready again to chase them down.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Koth, Nepal: Sanctum, every loving time I activated death blossom, a blue wall would pop up and block everything off.

Mei is a credit to the team, just not yours.

I had this happen last night. Mei kept giving the enemy team free cover on the payload and did nothing else.

Mei's wall has a lot of griefing applications that anyone could have foreseen if they thought about it more than not at all.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 18, 2016

sex idiot
Apr 25, 2016

Grapplejack posted:

Visible MMR is the worst idea in the history of the world and I really hope they reconsider that

it won't be visible MMR, MMR will be separate. it will be a secondary MMR called a "skill rating" and this is okay

showing actual MMR though would be terrible yeah, but Bliz are on record talking about knowing this is a bad idea and they avoid doing it to stop people intentionally gaming their matchmaking systems (see: Starcraft 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Why would it be terrible exactly. It works great for dota 2 which has a better matchmaker than any game blizzard has ever released. or is this another scoreboard thing?