Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

bobkatt013 posted:

So that's livewire in harbingers?

I read it as Chris's partner? I know she's being introduced in the series and I just assumed it was her, as there's been no mention of Livewire in any promo materials or interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dinesh is such a great guy, he spent lot of time talking to me one on one at C2E2 and was just so happy to hear how much I loved Quantum & Woody.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
How stable is Valiant financially right now? I like what their doing but I'm scared of investing too much of my time/money into their books if there just gonna go under like last time

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

How stable is Valiant financially right now? I like what their doing but I'm scared of investing too much of my time/money into their books if there just gonna go under like last time

You can track the detailed information on almost exactly how many books they sell via Diamond's sales numbers. In general, their numbers have been more or less rising slowly year after year. They got a huge investment to do the movies, and they are slowly branching out into other merchandise. Their books are being printed in at least three other languages so they are spreading internationally. They have been winning lots of industry awards. Finally, they have been getting a fair amount of attention lately for being a better alternative to the big two by sites like io9, especially when Faith's book started coming out.

That being said, their sales numbers are tiny compared to the big two, they come out with far less books, and they pay their talent more per page than any other company. I don't know how, but it seems like they are doing well.

Becides, I don't like taking the possibility of failure into account when getting into something, especially when it has hundreds of hours worth of high quality content already out there. I'd understand if they have been around for only a year and they seems like they were flopping, but this is certainly not the case.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They also just signed a new deal with Amazon/comixology so they are doing fine.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

bobkatt013 posted:

They also just signed a new deal with Amazon/comixology so they are doing fine.

Whaaaa? A casual googling didn't bring up any details.
EDIT: Thanks! I guess Kindle integration is an upgrade? C'mon Amazon, encourage some discounting policies!

Here's what I hope their deal meant, though:
-Greater Amazon discounts on their books, especially hardcovers. As a smaller publisher, Valiant probably can't afford to slash their prices too much, but selling books at full price also makes them look weird on what is generally a wholesale site.
-Larger, faster Comixology discounts. If they want to follow IDW and Dark Horse's leads and price-drop from $4 to $2 per issue a month after initial release, I know I'd buy a lot more digital Valiant. The app's mainpage still advertises "Fall of Bloodshot" for $3 and has been for the past several months.
-More Valiant titles in Amazon's suggestions algorithm for comics nerds. Many of the causes for fans complaining about DC and Marvel aren't issues at Valiant, and more readers need to get with the program and dive into a universe that's so easy to enjoy.

Side rant & rave: As discussed above, I was hyped over the Valiant Summit because everyone involved seems to be well-coordinated, excited about what they're producing, and proud of the studio's work in general. The persistent tone coming from Big Two writers and artists is "this work is good for now, but I don't know if my corporate parents will throw me out on the street next month, time to bail out to Image" and undermines any sense of excitement over their titles or their quality. Reward my money with strong narratives, quality artwork, and a beacon of excitement from the creative and editorial teams, and I'll keep coming back while inviting other people to join.

Also, echoing Rhyno that Dinesh is always down to chat on the con floor. And wondering if Rhyno and I met at C2E2 without realizing it (probably not)

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 21, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Whaaaa? A casual googling didn't bring up any details. Here's what I hope their deal meant, though:
-Greater Amazon discounts on their books, especially hardcovers. As a smaller publisher, Valiant probably can't afford to slash their prices too much, but selling books at full price also makes them look weird on what is generally a wholesale site.
-Larger, faster Comixology discounts. If they want to follow IDW and Dark Horse's leads and price-drop from $4 to $2 per issue a month after initial release, I know I'd buy a lot more digital Valiant. The app's mainpage still advertises "Fall of Bloodshot" for $3 and has been for the past several months.
-More Valiant titles in Amazon's suggestions algorithm for comics nerds. Many of the causes for fans complaining about DC and Marvel aren't issues at Valiant, and more readers need to get with the program and dive into a universe that's so easy to enjoy.

Side rant & rave: As discussed above, I was hyped over the Valiant Summit because everyone involved seems to be well-coordinated, excited about what they're producing, and proud of the studio's work in general. The persistent tone coming from Big Two writers and artists is "this work is good for now, but I don't know if my corporate parents will throw me out on the street next month, time to bail out to Image" and undermines any sense of excitement over their titles or their quality. Reward my money with strong narratives, quality artwork, and a beacon of excitement from the creative and editorial teams, and I'll keep coming back while inviting other people to join.

Also, echoing Rhyno that Dinesh is always down to chat on the con floor. And wondering if Rhyno and I met at C2E2 without realizing it (probably not)

Here is a link http://www.tripwiremagazine.co.uk/news-and-previews/valiant-entertainment-renews-distribution-agreement-comixology/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't really feel like Big 2 creators get kicked out so much as recognize that there's potential for way more money doing creator-owned work.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
For all the love we have here, I feel kinda bad saying this, but... I'm super disappointed in the backgrounds for Imperium. They appear to be just filtered pictures. Not even, like, traced, they seem to have just been made grainy and lazily drawn on top of.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

graybook posted:

For all the love we have here, I feel kinda bad saying this, but... I'm super disappointed in the backgrounds for Imperium. They appear to be just filtered pictures. Not even, like, traced, they seem to have just been made grainy and lazily drawn on top of.

Is Doug Braithwaite drawing it? That's some of the weakass poo poo he pulls and I hate it. If there's a single weak link in Valiant right now it's him. He's one of the worst artists currently working in the industry.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Is Doug Braithwaite drawing it? That's some of the weakass poo poo he pulls and I hate it. If there's a single weak link in Valiant right now it's him. He's one of the worst artists currently working in the industry.

No, his Valiant stuff usually looks really good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

No, his Valiant stuff usually looks really good.

I fiercely disagree. I own every OSHC they have released and the rest of the line in softcovers and every time I see his pencils it makes me sick. He's been ruining comics I want to read for 20 years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well agree to disagree. I like the art of his I've seen in the Valiant books. The only regular Valiant artist I kind of dislike is Khari Evans, the artist on the aforementioned Imperium.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
One of the panels in particular, the late one where Harada looks back at Mech Major, just looked really... gross. Sloppy. It lacked the poignancy that would've been necessary for that moment.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

With the announcement of Divinity III, I was briefly curious if Divinity II would still bring the heat...

...and today I got SCORCHED, got-dang this is a hot series. gently caress.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Space Fish posted:

With the announcement of Divinity III, I was briefly curious if Divinity II would still bring the heat...

...and today I got SCORCHED, got-dang this is a hot series. gently caress.

I read Divinity 1 which was good but I thought it was weird that a black guy would be a russian cosmonaut. I mean I understand that they needed to diversify their line but it seemed inappropriate for a character who's origin is tied to Russian's involvement in the space race.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
People may be forgetting at this point, but the USSR put itself forth as the center of the communist revolution, and a worker's paradise. From it's development on it's always had a small but very real amount of foreign influx, as it's hard to bill yourself as the center of an international movement if your population isn't very international. If anything it makes perfect sense that there is a black cosmonaut in Divinity, and makes less sense they didn't play up that angle in real life for PR purposes. They certainly did plenty of other, crazier things for PR purposes.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
My girlfriend's father is a Chilean raised in Cuba (because of Pinochet) who spent most of his adolescent years in communist Bulgaria with tons of other Latin Americans as part of an exchange program.

He also always points out that in Cuba, anyone who is a communist is a brother or sister, whereas in Bulgaria he got into fistfights every week with the locals because they were insanely racist but the intent was there.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I heard people hyping up DC Rebirth so I picked it up. All it did was make me appreciate Valiant more. And I am upset about the watchmen crossover.

I was never into Flash, but is his origin really that he got struck by lightning and had chemicals spilled on him at the same time? And the second flash had the same thing happen for some reason?

The closest thing to something that dumb in Valiant is Q&W, and that's a comedy so it has a pass.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

I heard people hyping up DC Rebirth so I picked it up. All it did was make me appreciate Valiant more. And I am upset about the watchmen crossover.

I was never into Flash, but is his origin really that he got struck by lightning and had chemicals spilled on him at the same time? And the second flash had the same thing happen for some reason?

The closest thing to something that dumb in Valiant is Q&W, and that's a comedy so it has a pass.

It happened in the silver age! All the origins are crazy, and they have recon it to saying it was the speed force.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

bobkatt013 posted:

It happened in the silver age! All the origins are crazy, and they have recon it to saying it was the speed force.

Boy I'm glad Valiant doesn't have to deal with that BS. You'd think that in the numerous reboots, somewhere they would come up with a better origin than "simultaneous chemical spill and lightning strike" for the various Flashes.

This was a great week. Even though I could see how people wouldn't like the it was all in his head ending of BS:R, I think it was handled well and gave some excellent insight to the character. Imperium ended well though I think it needs another arc, and Divinity is on fire holy poo poo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Really looking forward to Venditt's finale, Crisis of Infinite X-Os.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Is that a Rafer Roberts one in center? Neato.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yes it is. Here's all 50 individual ones. I'll just link them instead of embedding them because that would be insane.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/25/neal-adams-paolo-rivera-phil-jimenez-rebekah-isaacs-4-of-the-50-artists-for-x-o-manowar-50-cover/

Trying to figure out if I want to use one to update the ol' avatar. There's a lot of good choices there.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Name change to Ninjak, imo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's not what the X-O video game looked like. :mad:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's from the Valiant 8-Bit Adventure digital comic where Unity uses an old video game program to train in order to take down X-O Manowar. It's pretty amazing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm getting flashbacks to 2002 in the worst possible way.

Still, it'd have been neat to include this monstrosity in there:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The 8-bit comic is legit among digital tie-ins not just for its on-point graphics and videogame references, but also for unique design decisions that could only work in digital, such as using a speed-scrolling effect to simulate movement. Reading it in my pre-Valiant days didn't cause me to seek out the Unity comics, but when I eventually got to the series, I revisited their 8-bit training adventure and it was twice as fun.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

How is 4001 AD as a jumping in point? I picked up Valiant's FCBD book and it was really appealing, but I know nothing of Valiant other than that I picked up the first Divinity trade at the library on a whim and thought it was terrific. But I also thought it was meant to be self contained, so I didn't really know where to go from there, and looking around to see where you could start, it seems like the Valiant universe in general is pretty interconnected and self referential so I wasn't sure where to begin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dunbar posted:

How is 4001 AD as a jumping in point? I picked up Valiant's FCBD book and it was really appealing, but I know nothing of Valiant other than that I picked up the first Divinity trade at the library on a whim and thought it was terrific. But I also thought it was meant to be self contained, so I didn't really know where to go from there, and looking around to see where you could start, it seems like the Valiant universe in general is pretty interconnected and self referential so I wasn't sure where to begin.

If 4001 AD interests you I'd suggest grabbing the preceding issues of Rai, that would be mostly enough to get caught up on the future line.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Probably not a good jumping on point for the Valiant Universe as a whole, because it doesn't really have much to do with most of the Valiant books outside of Rai. But as a self contained event to a newcomer I guess it would be fine. But again it doesn't tie into most of the Valiant books because they're set in current day.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I picked up everything I was missing last night, so there will probably be a huge sale on comixology this week. I need to catch up on Bloodshot Reborn, Rai, and Ninjak. Should be a fun few weeks of reading.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dunbar posted:

I picked up the first Divinity trade at the library on a whim and thought it was terrific. But I also thought it was meant to be self contained, so I didn't really know where to go from there

Start reading Divinity 2, it totally lives up to the original so far!

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

X-O posted:

Probably not a good jumping on point for the Valiant Universe as a whole, because it doesn't really have much to do with most of the Valiant books outside of Rai. But as a self contained event to a newcomer I guess it would be fine. But again it doesn't tie into most of the Valiant books because they're set in current day.
OK, makes sense. I'm used to publishers using the FCBD books as jumping in points for new readers, but I guess not all of them do. If I dig 4001 AD I can circle back around and try to figure out a better place to start with the rest of the line.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rusty Kettle posted:

This was a great week. Even though I could see how people wouldn't like the it was all in his head ending of BS:R, I think it was handled well and gave some excellent insight to the character.

Finally caught up on this, I wasn't disappointed so much because it leads organically into the next thing, but I thought it would have been cooler if it was real otherwise I think it's good.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

LordPants posted:

Finally caught up on this, I wasn't disappointed so much because it leads organically into the next thing, but I thought it would have been cooler if it was real otherwise I think it's good.

If it was any different, there would have been some serious contradictions with the Book of Death series. I cannot think of any other way, to be honest. At least we get to see some more insight into what makes that character tick.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Man as stupid as wearing a T-Shirt saying "I'm Ninja K" I really want that loving K shirt from Ninjak.

Rusty Kettle posted:

If it was any different, there would have been some serious contradictions with the Book of Death series. I cannot think of any other way, to be honest. At least we get to see some more insight into what makes that character tick.

I know, and I agree. It's just it was so good, it's sad it's not real.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Comixology is having a sale on Harbinger. Do the 2 omnibuses contain the entire run? What should I buy if I want to get completely caught up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Buying both omnibuses will get you all of Harbinger, yeah.
Once it's done, jump directly to Imperium and Faith.

Other Valiant chat: Wrath of the Eternal Warrior is SO loving good right now. This "Labyrinth" arc is great.