Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Hey, not to interrupt video game chat, but I've been meaning to ask. What the gently caress is going on with Morrison's stomach? Did he have a botched c-section or something?

I think it's from his bout with flesh eating virus back in the 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I think it's from his bout with flesh eating virus back in the 90's.

Jesus, now I feel bad about the comment. I'm a reformed mortician, that poo poo ain't no joke.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

I don't even know where the picture is from.

And Arkham Knight is on sale for $25, all the DLC included. It's going to be a long weekend of Batmanning.
Quick tip: Upgrade your batmobile weaponry and poo poo before anything else when given the option, especially things like rate of fire. You'll be using it so much more, comparatively, than any random special move you'll maybe use once. Trust me on this. You don't even know just how many drone fights there are.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 18, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Also, before you start playing, consider what kind of person you are; if you're okay getting the regular ending but missing out on the 100% total completion ending, proceed. Stay away however, if you don't want to play a game that gives you an ending when you beat it but very clearly tells you that it's not the final ending and to get that ending you need to run around all of Gotham collecting all of the Riddler trophies, do all the side stuff, etc.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

On the other hand, just do all the side stuff, because it's not that hard and it's pretty fun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A lot of the side stuff is fun, finding Riddler trophies isn't

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Or just get the regular ending and watch the "real" ending on YouTube.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

As much as I like the game you're not missing much from the 'real' ending.

At least to 200% it saves your Riddler progess from the first playthrough so you don't have to do that part again.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah but you get the best boss battle in the game with Riddler.

Edit: you can play the entire game from start to finish with alt costumes, too (you lose the damage over time and the masks don't animate in the handful of scenes where you demask, but that's a small price to constantly be zur en arrhing everywhere)

E2: vv the expansion adds a Killer Croc fight! vv

Emo Szyslak fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 18, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hup posted:

Yeah but you get the best only boss battle in the game with Riddler.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

hup posted:

Yeah but you get the best boss battle in the game with Riddler.

Edit: you can play the entire game from start to finish with alt costumes, too (you lose the damage over time and the masks don't animate in the handful of scenes where you demask, but that's a small price to constantly be zur en arrhing everywhere)

Also Catwoman's DLC wouldn't make much sense if you don't beat the Riddler in the main game

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Travis343 posted:

On the other hand, just do all the side stuff, because it's not that hard and it's pretty fun.

True, the Riddler trophy collecting is a bit annoying and not particularly fun but it's also pretty easy to just find a video for, and the rest of the side missions were pretty solidly fun or at least simple enough to still be worth doing.

I just felt that it was worth mentioning because I remember being irrationally annoyed at the game for telling me if I wanted to beat the game for reals I had to go get the riddler trophies I already had decided hours ago I didn't care about and wasn't going to spend time hunting down. :v:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

hup posted:

Yeah, but it's just a re-skin of that other fight, which is hardly a boss battle.

I did enjoy the Season of Infamy chapters quite a bit, honestly.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
hey y'all you should all read Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Benito Cereno posted:

Anybody going to HeroesCon in Charlotte this weekend?

I'll be set up at a table in Indie Island (AA-1127) and it would be cool* to meet anyone who wanted to come by and say hey.

*"cool"

I was there yesterday! I may have stopped at your booth on one of my many laps through the convention floor.

Pretty good convention this year. I think this was my favorite year that I've gone.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

hey y'all you should all read Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer

Does the quality of the manga make up for it having the stupidest name?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Occasionally I'll read an issue or come across a panel here and be reminded that Thor does some the craziest badestass stuff in the comics but is the lamest character in the MCU and I get sad

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just don't understand why he talks so weird in the MCU. It's not an old timey accent, it's not Nordic, it's just freaking weird, and nobody else from Asgard talks that way.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't understand why he talks so weird in the MCU. It's not an old timey accent, it's not Nordic, it's just freaking weird, and nobody else from Asgard talks that way.
Do you mean the font or the "I say thee nay" sort of stuff? Because he's dropped the latter and these days all the Asgardians have the former.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

The Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Anthony Hopkins couldn't be bother to do that poo poo.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Does Thor talk weird in the movies? It's honestly never struck me as weird, and it's not like Loki or Odin or Volstagg or Heimdall or literally anyone doesn't have a, let's say, unique presence.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's just a really fake accent that sounds like he's constantly out of breath.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Most of the Asgardian actors in the MCU talk with Shakespearean inflection.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

If I'm interested in binging on the back catalog of relatively recent Marvel stuff I assume that Marvel Unlimited would be good for a month or two?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Teddybear posted:

If I'm interested in binging on the back catalog of relatively recent Marvel stuff I assume that Marvel Unlimited would be good for a month or two?

As long as "relatively recent" means "older than six months ago", then yeah, it's an amazing value.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Teddybear posted:

What's the timeframe on "relatively recent" here?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Older than six months does fine. I'll grab a bit of it then. Thanks!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I tried giving the newest Nova series a shot and I have no idea who the current Nova is, what his relationship with his father is, or what's happening. Is there some series I missed beforehand?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

I tried giving the newest Nova series a shot and I have no idea who the current Nova is, what his relationship with his father is, or what's happening. Is there some series I missed beforehand?

Actually yes, he had a series that ran for 31 issues prior to Secret Wars.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hi chat thread! Last month I started a podcast called Event Fatigue where some friends and I have a book club for comic book events. Our first episode on the original Secret Wars was well-received and our second episode is finally out (delayed due to all of us attending the wedding of two of the hosts). This time we covered Civil War plus a bonus dramatic reading of that page from Civil War Frontline.

You can find the Tumblr with links to the episode parts and some relevant panels at this link. Any thoughts or comments or hatred would all be appreciated! You can listen to it directly there or on Stitcher (iTunes is being a jerk).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys squandered the opportunity to record a podcast at the wedding.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Rhyno posted:

Actually yes, he had a series that ran for 31 issues prior to Secret Wars.

Indeed. And Sam is a great character, I highly recommend reading it. Loeb started the series and then Duggan took over (Zeb Wells filled in for an arc inbetween). It's really good all the way through. Yes, even the Loeb issues.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O if you somehow trick me into reading typical Jeph Loeb, willingly, we can no longer be friends.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nope, I promise, it's good. Also he's only on for like six issues.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Rhyno posted:

You guys squandered the opportunity to record a podcast at the wedding.

It was a weirdly comic book wedding, too. The corsages and boutonnieres were made from issues of each member of the wedding party's favorite superhero (mine is Captain America and mine was made of that weird Brubaker run where there was a forgotten WWII superhero lost in another dimension or something? I remembered thinking it was skippable so I was okay with it getting cut up). I officiated the wedding and read not from the Bible but from The Uncanny X-Men At The State Fair of Texas (with my speech folded inside it). It was otherwise normal and good so maybe podcasting would've driven it over the edge.

Also Loeb's Nova is surprisingly good. I feel like the series has been spinning its wheels lately, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Loeb's Nova is the best thing he's ever written featuring a character named Sam, but that might be damning with faint praise, it's a good book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Loeb's Nova was clearly him finally having dealt with the crushing grief of losing his son. I'm not saying he got over it, but he stopped using his son's death as an excuse to get work, by making Nova a homage to Sam he finally moved on and those six issues are the best thing he'd written in a very long time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Loeb's Nova is the closest the Nova concept has been to Marv Wolfman's original intent of making the next Spider-Man. Ed McGuiness makes him look amazing. Also check out Original Sin #0 after those Nova issues.

EDIT: I don't think he used his sons death to get work. He either pursued work that reminded him of his son, or Marvel gave him the work to help him get through it. Loeb is one of those guys that will get work regardless of quality. I'm glad he has a nice administrative position. Lonely days in front of a keyboard must have been maddening.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sam is such a great character and wonderful addition to the Marvel Universe that it actually softens the blow of losing Richard Rider.

• Locked thread