Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Rugs are also good for breaking up the beige monotony of apartments.

I wouldn't dare paint a wall in a rental unless I had the landlord's permission in writing. I would go for colorful wall hangings instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Where do you live? The UK and Australia have weird rules iirc. In the US it's the norm to paint whatever as long as you repaint before moving out.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
That is definitely not the norm nationwide and many landlords will penalize you if they find out you did it even if you competently repaint

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

photomikey posted:

if you're in an apartment with tan carpet, tan walls, and a white ceiling, I find painting something a color, really any color, helps immensely. I've seen apartments I like with tan walls, but it takes a lot of effort and a ton of stuff.

For me, finding throw pillows that go with your couch, then picking an element from the throw pillows and painting one or two walls that color goes a long way. In the bedroom, use the bedspread and add a couple pillows to your bed. Paint is $25/gallon and if you're only painting one or two walls, you will only use a gallon. It doesn't take but an hour or two. Remember to budget time and money for the re-paint back to tan at the end.
The walls are indeed a bare tan and the artwork I've put up doesn't do so much as I'd like. The paint will definitely be something to think about for wherever I move to next, not sure how long I will be at my current location. Got some throw pillows on the couch, which help. Main concern right now is the bedroom, which I honestly think I just need to get a nice dresser or a better bookshelf than those I've currently got. Doesn't help that I'm currently living with roommates, so have my computer desk occupying no minor portion of the room.

Human Tornada posted:

Look at lots of pictures to figure out what style you like and take it slow. Find pictures of rooms you like and save them on your computer and reference them frequently and try to recreate them with similar items. Apartment Therapy has a pretty wide range of styles and doesn't seem to be only catering to millionaires. My apartment sat bare for years because it took me a while to figure out what style I like, what fits my budget, and what works within the limitations of renting.

Edit: Here's a guide for recreating a particular style, http://www.primermagazine.com/2016/spend/the-intentional-apartment-get-this-look-nailing-luxe-home-looks-for-less

You don't have to use that photograph but it's a good example of what to do.
Thanks! Gives me some to think about.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The pinterest suggestion was a good one. Note that most people omit height, i.e. all their stuff stops 3' off the floor, leaving the remaining 5' of height from waist-high to the ceiling bare, and they also omit dimension, i.e. the idea that everything on the wall is flat - posters, paintings, certificates, etc. Try a floating shelf with a plant on it, a bookcase, even stuff that hangs on the wall that has some 3D aspect to it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The bedroom in my rental has a built in closet. The doors to that were a sad beige, but I got permission to paint them in another color. It really does help break up the room.
I also like having a rug in front of the bed, as something nice to step onto in the morning.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

photomikey posted:

The pinterest suggestion was a good one. Note that most people omit height, i.e. all their stuff stops 3' off the floor, leaving the remaining 5' of height from waist-high to the ceiling bare, and they also omit dimension, i.e. the idea that everything on the wall is flat - posters, paintings, certificates, etc. Try a floating shelf with a plant on it, a bookcase, even stuff that hangs on the wall that has some 3D aspect to it.

Listen to this poster. Bring the height of your decorations up to the ceiling if possible.

Other things to consider:

- Mount a curtain rod and hang actual curtains. You can color match to your art or your bedspread for a consistent look. Opt for blackout or thermal curtains and you get some functionality as well.

- Choose 1 metal color and 1 wood color for your room. If you have a big, expensive piece of furniture with metal and wood, those are your colors. Match all the other wood and metal to those colors, and make sure you include your picture frames (your art is framed, right?) and try to match your computer hardware (or hide it).

- Clean and declutter. Even a boring room looks better if its clean. Hide your computer cables, make your bed, etc. Making your bed makes a small room appear more put together, it's crazy.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
This lessor wants to be co-insured on my renter's insurance and also have waived subrogation. Is this at all standard, or are they going nuts with covering their rear end at the expense of mine?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The last time I heard of something like that it was on the forums and I think it turned out to be someone grossly overreaching the reasonable standard. The only thing I have ever done is provide a confirmation that I have renter's insurance of particular value.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Ugh. I can't even get an insurance company to give me a quote on a policy with waived subrogation. One agent suggested the language was pulled from a commercial lease template, which explains a lot of the other weirdness. I'm finding it hard to imagine the lessor hasn't realized this was a problem before, unless tenants were just blatantly ignoring this requirement.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
In my non-landlord business I have more and more clients asking me to waive subrogation. After a fair amount of research (and really no corroborated experience, I'm just making this up as I go along), I've started telling them no. So far, everyone has eventually given in (after a fair amount of "well then we can't hire you" posturing).

There is no way I would even consider waiving subrogation on renters insurance. Really I'd not want to add the landlord as an add'l insured, because there's no reason to. I don't require renters insurance (I recommend it) and I haven't had it in 15 years, but as I recall, it just insures the stuff in the apartment. Even if you burned the building down and the landlord came after you for it, the renters insurance would only cover your DVD collection and your clothes, nothing inside the drywall regardless of fault. So why in the hell would the landlord want to be added as add'l insured?

Tell them no. See what happens.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

photomikey posted:

In my non-landlord business I have more and more clients asking me to waive subrogation. After a fair amount of research (and really no corroborated experience, I'm just making this up as I go along), I've started telling them no. So far, everyone has eventually given in (after a fair amount of "well then we can't hire you" posturing).

There is no way I would even consider waiving subrogation on renters insurance. Really I'd not want to add the landlord as an add'l insured, because there's no reason to. I don't require renters insurance (I recommend it) and I haven't had it in 15 years, but as I recall, it just insures the stuff in the apartment. Even if you burned the building down and the landlord came after you for it, the renters insurance would only cover your DVD collection and your clothes, nothing inside the drywall regardless of fault. So why in the hell would the landlord want to be added as add'l insured?

Tell them no. See what happens.

Generally speaking, when landlords refer to renter's insurance they're speaking of a policy with a liability component. A landlord that would require renter's insurance would require the liability component. They want to be an additional insured so they get notified if the policy lapses.

Never heard of wanting you to waive subro though. The landlord would typically only be responsible for negligence, so it wouldn't ordinarily be an issue. I've never had a renter's policy successfully subrogate against me.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

My limited research has suggested the whole thing's super loving weird, but this guy doesn't want to make changes to the agreement without consulting his lawyer, who's unavailable for two weeks. It's my understanding that waiving subrogation is just going to up my rates but not make me personally liable for anything more, and the rent's far enough below average for the area I'm willing to put up with that if it comes to it.

My plan now is to put forth a good faith effort to find a policy under those terms, fail, and come back around with that as leverage to get him to drop that requirement.

Maybe I'm putting up with too much, but it's by far the best-fit place I've found.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
To me, subrogation is not just an additional cost but (bear with me here) a principal issue on the life I want to lead and the society I want to be a part of. So I don't do it anymore. Some day I may land a contract for a million bucks and they will want me to waive subrogation and I guess then we'll see where the rubber meets the road. For right now they are gigs I can live without, so I pass on them.

If this guy is an indy landlord, he may curb if you threaten to leave, and he may stick with his principles. Hard to know. My $0.02, I wouldn't do it. At the very least, I( would call him back and tell him you can't find a policy that will allow you to waive subrogation, so you'll have to pass. Sometimes watching money walk away is enough to get people to do the right thing.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

Will I get kicked out of the condo I'm renting if I use the garage as a workshop and keep/use a welder in there? The lease says no "hazardous materials", but I would argue it's just a tool and not inherently dangerous in that sense.

Generally you have to separate the fuel tank and oxygen tank by at least 20 feet, or have a fire wall barrier. This is impractical in most condos/apartments. Local laws can have more strict requirements. Can you follow the local fire code with the space you have? Are you talking about OA gas or another type of welder?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I have never seen OA tanks 20 feet apart, in fact, I've never seen them anywhere other than chained to each other or sitting on top of the same cart. Even if they were 20 feet apart, don't you run a hose from each, eventually reaching the torch that you're holding in your hand?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

lampey posted:

Generally you have to separate the fuel tank and oxygen tank by at least 20 feet, or have a fire wall barrier. This is impractical in most condos/apartments. Local laws can have more strict requirements. Can you follow the local fire code with the space you have? Are you talking about OA gas or another type of welder?

Mig/Stick welding. No OA.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

The last two apartments I've had, neither had any sort of ventilation working/installed in the bathroom, resulting in damage to the paint on the ceiling from all the moisture from showering. Landlords didn't ask me to pay for it or anything, but it just kind of boggles my mind that they prefer to fix the damages rather than address the root cause. The current one, in particular, had been remodeling the place with intent to eventually sell it, but hasn't touched it since we moved in.
I see this all the loving time in Seattle. They had to redo my bathroom twice in one of the places I lived before they added a loving fan. I don't understand it, either; I really don't understand why you'd put in a bathroom without a fan in the loving first place in someplace as mold-prone as Seattle, but there you go.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Thanatosian posted:

I see this all the loving time in Seattle. They had to redo my bathroom twice in one of the places I lived before they added a loving fan. I don't understand it, either; I really don't understand why you'd put in a bathroom without a fan in the loving first place in someplace as mold-prone as Seattle, but there you go.

Had similar issues here in my now-former apartment. I'm pretty sure none of the plumbing had been replaced since the Eisenhower administration. Definitely no fan, mint green and black tile, etc. When the plaster started peeling and I alerted the landlords they turned it back on me and asked if I showered with the door open to provide ventilation. (As an aside, I actually did, because I have cats that like to poke around while I'm in there, but the kicker is that the crappy smoke detector was stationed right outside and any amount of steam made it go off, so I had to get rid of that every morning.) When they did get around to fixing it, they just slapped some more plaster up there and then got all snooty again a few months later when the problem reoccured.

Have I mentioned I'm really glad I'm out of that place?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

My bathroom also doesn't have a vent fan. This is the first place I've lived without one so I didn't even think to check when I was looking at the place. 2 out of 3 bathrooms have fans but of course the master bath is the one without. We just keep the door open when we shower and try to avoid pooping in that particular bathroom.

The house was built in the 70s and "renovated" and looked nice on the surface but once we moved in we realized that none of the renovations were done professionally and were pretty shittily executed and I'm pretty sure part of that was taking out the bathroom vent fan and installing a light in the shower instead. In addition to that the owners seem to have done a half-assed job of trying to make it handicapped accessible as well, an example of this is installing a huge wheelchair accessible shower. Except they installed it in the basement. Where you have to go down a flight of stairs to access it. :psyduck:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Alright, I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask for apartment advice, so if it's not I'll gladly delete this post.

I'm moving about six hours away in August, and as of today I have two good options for apartments. One is a single room, okay-ish condition, shared bathroom, kitchen, and living room with two other people, washer and dryer in the building (I believe there are nine people in the building). It's about a three minute walk to the bus, and it's ~21% of my income, including utilities but not factoring in taxes. My other option is a single room and a private bathroom, good condition, shared kitchen and living room with three other people, plus a lot of amenities (like gym, pool, etc.). It's ~41% of my income.

It should be pretty obvious which one to pick looking at the numbers, but the more expensive one is also significantly more convenient re: location. I don't have a car (or a license, working on it), so I'm reliant on buses... but the more expensive apartment has a shuttle every ten minutes to the school I'm starting my PhD at. The shuttle also goes downtown so I can pick up groceries, etc. It's only one mile away, so I could walk it if need be-- the cheaper apartment isn't a walkable distance.

I'd be a lot more comfortable about taking the bus everywhere from the cheaper location if I was more familiar with the area, but I'm not.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Good news: Not having a car gives you more wiggle room with housing costs. Bad news: I'm not sure more convenient transit is worth an extra 20% of your income.

If the cheaper apartment isn't an insane commute(>30-40 minutes) away from your school, you should probably go with that. Learning your way around a new bus system sucks, but it's going to happen no matter which apartment you pick.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Honestly, having a private bathroom is kind of a big deal, though. Think about what it would be like if you got sick. And also I would pay a premium to have a shorter commute, every time.

I'm assuming that you don't know any of these people, right? Are these places apodments? If money is an issue, apodments are usually not very economical; i.e., you could almost certainly get a better deal renting out a single room of a house, or a 2-3 bed apartment.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Haifisch posted:

Good news: Not having a car gives you more wiggle room with housing costs. Bad news: I'm not sure more convenient transit is worth an extra 20% of your income.

If the cheaper apartment isn't an insane commute(>30-40 minutes) away from your school, you should probably go with that. Learning your way around a new bus system sucks, but it's going to happen no matter which apartment you pick.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like it's about a 25 minute commute (not counting walking times and getting to the bus stop early). I guess worst case if I miss a bus, I can take an uber until I get used to the transit up there.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Honestly, having a private bathroom is kind of a big deal, though. Think about what it would be like if you got sick. And also I would pay a premium to have a shorter commute, every time.

I'm assuming that you don't know any of these people, right? Are these places apodments? If money is an issue, apodments are usually not very economical; i.e., you could almost certainly get a better deal renting out a single room of a house, or a 2-3 bed apartment.

Huh, didn't even consider that about having a private bathroom. I think the shorter commute would be something like two minutes versus twenty five, so that's also a benefit.

I managed to get in touch via email with one person in the cheaper apartment, but how someone is in email can be pretty different from how they are in person. What's an apodment? Looking it up just gets me some weird site.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Private bathroom is worth the extra cost IMO. I spent a few years in a 3 bedroom apartment where each bedroom had its own en suite and it was the most peaceful roommate situation I've been in since it removed one of the biggest sources of roommate conflict.

When you have your own bathroom you don't have to sit around for 45 minutes while your roommate and her boyfriend have sex in your shared shower while you really have to pee.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Private bathroom is worth the extra cost IMO. I spent a few years in a 3 bedroom apartment where each bedroom had its own en suite and it was the most peaceful roommate situation I've been in since it removed one of the biggest sources of roommate conflict.

When you have your own bathroom you don't have to sit around for 45 minutes while your roommate and her boyfriend have sex in your shared shower while you really have to pee.

The last place I lived, one of my roommates would lock the bathroom door, turn the shower on, strip naked, then sit on the toilet playing hearthstone.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

In the end I got the subrogation clause dropped on the back of a bunch of insurance agents saying "What the hell?" Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Finally time for my first functional adult housing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it normal for a rental application to need your SSN and bank account number? I don't remember if my last application did, but that was with a well known company with a bunch of rentals across the town. This is a private property owner, and while she's a little old lady, it still concerns me that I'm giving her all the information she would need for stealing my identity.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I don't think SSN is that unusual for a background check, but I wouldn't give out my bank account number, particularly to an individual landlord and not a company. It's not like you can do much with just an account number (it's on your check book), but I don't see a reason why they would need it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
In the old days (like when this little old lady bought this place) you could call the bank and ask how much money was in the account, and how long it'd been since they had a bounced check and stuff. Today if you did that they would send the FBI to your house to find out why you're a terrorist.

I would not give it to her, except for the fact that you're almost certainly going to write her a check for the application fee, deposit, or first month's rent, and the account number is literally printed across the bottom of the check.

So, end of the day, I'd just suck it up and give it to her.

She needs your SSN to run a credit check on you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, the bank account seemed like something she could get immediately, it was just weird to me. I guess using the SSN is pretty common. Dumb that it's common, but that's the way it is.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, the bank account seemed like something she could get immediately, it was just weird to me. I guess using the SSN is pretty common. Dumb that it's common, but that's the way it is.
Credit check is pretty normal.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Totally normal, but I haven't had any issues just leaving my account number off of applications either. Don't sweat it too much either way.

Unrelated, this made me laugh in an otherwise bleak apartment hunting experience:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

If you rent a house and a tree on your property falls onto a neighbors property and causes damage, is that something the homeowner's insurance covers? Or does it fall under renters insurance?

I'm not actively in this situation but the house I'm renting has a few huge trees that are badly in need of trimming and the landlord is ignoring my requests to get a tree guy out to trim them. We had a huge branch fall during a storm a month ago and thankfully it didn't do any damage but we may not be so lucky next time.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Totally your landlord's problem and not yours at all.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I moved in to my current apartment in LA last fall. It doesn't have any AC, so I've been able to get by throughout the past year but now Summer has arrived and I'm looking to install a window AC unit. My minor setback is that I have jalousie windows.

I see that many of the other units in my building have AC hanging out their windows but I don't know how much cost/effort it is for that installation compared to a portable unit that I exhaust out of a window instead. Anyone have any insight for methods to stay cool?

Landlord said when I moved in that I could install a unit but it would be at my cost. If it's too expensive then I'll just say gently caress it because I'm looking to move in ~6 months anyway.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Buy a window unit. If it needs a shelf/brace buy/make one (I've also seen ac window safety nets to do the same thing) and if need be pay to get it installed if DIY makes your nervous vs getting a portable unit. All the noise an air conditioner makes can either be outside your window or inside the room with you, portable units are less efficient as they generate heat and cold inside then trying to vent that heat through a tube to outside vs the heat generated by the window unit already outside where nobody cares.

I have a portable unit and its a necessary evil since my city has stupid regulations, something about not having them visible from streets or something equally dumb. The last place I lived nobody on the second floor had an AC unit because only the first floor windows were below the fence-line and thus out of sight. I only use it when its unbearably hot.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

If you rent a house and a tree on your property falls onto a neighbors property and causes damage, is that something the homeowner's insurance covers? Or does it fall under renters insurance?

I'm not actively in this situation but the house I'm renting has a few huge trees that are badly in need of trimming and the landlord is ignoring my requests to get a tree guy out to trim them. We had a huge branch fall during a storm a month ago and thankfully it didn't do any damage but we may not be so lucky next time.

In my experiences, it generally works like this:

Your tree falls in neighbor's yard:

Was the tree dead? If so, it's your problem, and your liability insurance will deal with it. If not, it's the neighbor's problem.

Your tree falls in your yard:

Did the tree land on your house/improvements? If so, your insurance will cover removal and of course repairs. Did it land in the yard, or even on your fence? Have fun removing it at your expense.

But that all applies to the owner of the house. If you rent there, it's not your problem.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I rent and the neighbor most likely to incur damage also rents.

I foresee this being a giant shitshow if we do lose a tree but I did my due diligence in letting the landlord know their trees needed work so not my problem I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If the trees are near overhead powerlines, you can usually call the power co and they will trim the parts that are near the lines for free. It won't be pretty, but at least you wont lose power in a storm.