Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

flashman posted:

dota 2 which has a better matchmaker than any game blizzard has ever released.

What? Dota is the king of that win/loss preservation thing where you're not allowed to win more than 54% of the time. Even if you're an eSports King it just means you'll be matched with me and have to try to overcome a massive advantage the enemy gets from eviscerating me over and over.

It works better for Dota than Destiny (which does the same thing with also horrible lag) just because Dota's player pool is so deep. That only works because it's a free game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
D.va's buff can't come too soon. It's bullshit that she's the only one on her team that can die from her ult, it takes FAR too long to go off, and D'va's entirely useless until it goes off - if she has LoS to her meka, she's basically gonna die to her own ult.

To add insult to injury, if she has an ult ready and loses her meka, she has to build charge from ~60% or so to get a new one. And if she gets the calldown ult, and dies before calling it in, welp, that's gone too.

Her pistol is almost better than having her meka, too. Half the time I'll go get myself killed just to start headshotting people from range with her dinky little pistol.

I just want her to be less squishy, dammit! Oh well, if I can tie up 3 members of the team to chase Zero Suit D'va while the rest of my team pushes the payload, it's a net win.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Rumor has it that there is a new character in the works called Sombra. I don't think Blizzard should introduce new characters because balancing become much more difficult with every addition.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

TwystNeko posted:

D.va's buff can't come too soon. It's bullshit that she's the only one on her team that can die from her ult, it takes FAR too long to go off, and D'va's entirely useless until it goes off - if she has LoS to her meka, she's basically gonna die to her own ult.

You're supposed to charge it so you have enough time to emote for a pretty highlight

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pretty sure I've seen tracer disintegrate herself with her ult too unless something else happened that I missed

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

What? Dota is the king of that win/loss preservation thing where you're not allowed to win more than 54% of the time. Even if you're an eSports King it just means you'll be matched with me and have to try to overcome a massive advantage the enemy gets from eviscerating me over and over.

How many games over .500 do you expect to go against equally skilled opponents? Dotas system only breaks down at the e sports margins which approximately no body here will achieve.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Craptacular! posted:

What? Dota is the king of that win/loss preservation thing where you're not allowed to win more than 54% of the time.

:prepop:

No, it isn't.

The only time these systems really break down is the extreme ends of the curve, where you're running into what the system maker decided as the balance between fair games and ability to play the game at all.

Carados fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 18, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Night Blade posted:

From some of the wording in that interview it sounds like stacks will be put up against pubs.

Sounds like a good idea that hasn't gone wrong for blizzard in the past at all.

Dynamic Queue was a bad idea in League of Legends, and it's a bad idea here. The game telling me that I'm getting my poo poo ground in by 5 people together on Discord does little to alleviate the fact that I'm getting my poo poo ground in by 5 people together on Discord.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Digirat posted:

Pretty sure I've seen tracer disintegrate herself with her ult too unless something else happened that I missed

Junkrat can also kill himself with Rip-Tire.

e: Pharah can kill herself with Rocket Barage

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Digirat posted:

Tracer can definitely blow herself up with her bomb, not that I've ever done something silly like that no sir.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Winston can also kill himself. Why yes, I am so angry I jumped into that pit. Why do you want to know?

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Kurzon posted:

Rumor has it that there is a new character in the works called Sombra. I don't think Blizzard should introduce new characters because balancing become much more difficult with every addition.

I was surprised they were going to add new heroes. We already have 21 jeeeez.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
There needs to be a 'Volunteer' option for Solo-Players to be put in pre-made games. Give them like +500 extra exp at end of match for willingly getting stomped on.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I think they should cut the rooster to like five heroes in the name of perfect balance.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Winston can also kill himself. Why yes, I am so angry I jumped into that pit. Why do you want to know?

he can also save himself by jumping right back out

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Craptacular! posted:

It works better for Dota than Destiny (which does the same thing with also horrible lag) just because Dota's player pool is so deep. That only works because it's a free game.

This is completely wrong. There are players with over 80% winrates in Dota 2.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Shy posted:

I think they should cut the rooster to like five heroes in the name of perfect balance.

and a limit of 1 of each, so teams are always balanced

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
They're supposedly not going to do paid DLC for this game so the only way they can give it legs is to add more heroes to attract new players and get people to buy more loot boxes for the new cosmetic poo poo.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Macaluso posted:

What's D.Va's head hitbox compared to Winston's? I got into an argument with a friend about it, he was pretty convinced that their heads are the same size and both in the center of their characters and I couldn't convince him otherwise

They're roughly the same size but Winston's is notably bigger against projectile weapons. I think D.Va's head hitbox is the only one in the game which isn't relatively gigantic for projectiles. Winston's head isn't quite center mass, but shots that go over his head can still bodyshot the jetpack wings on his back so it's not that far off. The same wings make head shotting him from behind either impossible or very hard, similar to D.Va.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

a cat on an apple posted:

People blame poorly performing players either way.

Anyway, MMR isn't going to be revealed, just a function of it that sounds like it's going to put you within a relative percentile. He was also very upfront that any differentials in the group's average SR will mean the lower SR will gain more.

Do we actually have details on this or is this just speculation based on how Blizzard's done things before?

Because it sounds incredibly stupid. Making the relative MMR of each player and team visible while the absolute values are hidden has all the downsides without the most important upside, which is seeing how good you are so you can track your own progress.

I mean, I tend to fall on the side of "more information is never bad, show everything, show the exact number that matchmaking uses in the backend" anyways, but that doesn't even sound like a compromise.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People always talk about these forced 50% winrates in any team game and I never buy it. I don't think it was in Dota 2 and I don't think its here either. Matchmaking doesn't care how much you win, it cares about setting up a balanced match. They aren't going to throw you in with a bunch of scrubs just to have you lose.

What I do believe Overwatch will do, at least in quick play, is make completely lopsided matches just to get people out of queue because patience is hard.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Sometimes I feel like I play a decent skill level. Other times I get guys in my games that obviously have no idea what they are doing despite being level 80+. My two friends and I had a pretty hard fought game last night where we barely held our defense together until the Victory screen on the last point of Hollywood.
Some guy on the opposing team said:
:o: We rekt you guys all the way
:o: then you guys switched to tryhard torb and bastion
:o: loving noobs
He was loving Junkrat. How do you bitch about not being able to counter stationary targets with Junkrat? How is Bastion even a problem in your games? Do you not switch heroes to counter things?

So, having accepted that my MMR is not even close to high, I switched to Zarya with the knowledge that my enemies will be too dumb to not shoot my shields for our turn on attack. Queue my ghostbusting my way past point A (complete with torb and bastion) in about a minute flat. We only stalled out once before the first payload checkpoint. Guess what? I switched to Junkrat to counter their entrenched defenses. Took like 30 seconds. Then back to Zarya and easy pushing all the way to the finish. :o: even stuck around for me to question his intellect until PoTG was over. Then he quit.

TLDR: Thought my MMR was okay. My MMR is poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Occasional lopsided matches aren't even a bad thing, they give you an opportunity to improve under adverse circumstances / kick back and relax from time to time. They just shouldn't be common.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

'forced 50% winrate' is the stupidest thing in the world. All it means is that your MMR is in line with your skill, and thus you aren't getting lopsided matches often.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the idea of calling torb and bastion tryhard characters that you switch to when you're losing to autowin is really funny to me

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Countblanc posted:

the idea of calling torb and bastion tryhard characters that you switch to when you're losing to autowin is really funny to me

this is what happens when people don't know how bad they are

this is the world that hidden MMR has wrought

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Kurzon posted:

Nah they definitely should. New characters are fun and there are some more roles they could easily flesh out, and theres probably easily room for another 3-5 unique charaters without much overlap.

There's a pretty big gap in support roles since only really Lucio and Mercy can do real support, Symmetra is kind of her own thing and Zeny is more of an assassin with some healing. So I'd like to see another option than just Lucio or Mercy. I can easily see there being another character in a similar 76 role as lowish-mobility offensive front-line ground skirmisher with some options there, and there's probably some interesting things they could do in Defensive

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Internet Kraken posted:

This is completely wrong. There are players with over 80% winrates in Dota 2.

Huh. It's been everybody's ur-example of flawed MM for a while, even among the best players.

I do know 50/50 enforcement is deliberately implemented in some games. Destiny's developers have acknowledged it for their PVP.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder if a loss has ever been a goon's fault

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm around level 15 so far and don't understand how bastion has ever been considered overpowered. I have never felt like it's some unstoppable force on the other team, and it doesn't even instakill or use dumbass pseudo-instakill cooldown moves like the hook, so it's less frustrating than other heroes like widowmaker, hanzo and roadhog based on that alone. When I use it I never feel like a god myself and feel like it has one of the most noticeable skill ceilings in the game, it's always pretty easy for the other team to make me leave or kill me if I try to play chicken with them.

Weirdly the most dangerous bastion I've seen yet was one who was on offense on a payload map. It was constantly popping up in places I wouldn't expect and it shut me down over and over

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Countblanc posted:

I had asked about how to counter Bastion / Torb last page, because we went up against teams with 4 Bastion / Torbs for defense, then a healer and Reinhart or whatever, and it felt impossible to beat. Granted we are all super new and don't really know the characters yet. I tried Pharaoh but wasn't able to do enough DPS. I think I needed to encourage more of my group to go anti-turret.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Digirat posted:

I'm around level 15 so far and don't understand how bastion has ever been considered overpowered. I have never felt like it's some unstoppable force on the other team, and it doesn't even instakill or use dumbass pseudo-instakill cooldown moves like the hook, so it's less frustrating than other heroes like widowmaker, hanzo and roadhog based on that alone. When I use it I never feel like a god myself and feel like it has one of the most noticeable skill ceilings in the game, it's always pretty easy for the other team to make me leave or kill me if I try to play chicken with them.

Weirdly the most dangerous bastion I've seen yet was one who was on offense on a payload map. It was constantly popping up in places I wouldn't expect and it shut me down over and over

Actual power has very little to do with the volume of whining, and everything to do with knowledge disparities and popularity. If one team knows that Bastion + Reinhardt is a thing and the other team doesn't know how to counter it (or refuses to coordinate), it will create an experience that seems very lopsided even though it falls apart when everyone knows how the game works.

e: also Bastion almost inevitably gets POTG even when other people do much cooler / more difficult things over the course of the game, which doesn't do him any favors with anyone else on either team

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 18, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
this game is virtually unplayable when there happens to be multiple roadhogs/hanzos in one game

fix the loving netcode

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Help Im Alive posted:

Come play with me and you will see a goon let down his team repeatedly. In one of my matches as tracer I blinked into a pit, recalled, blinked into the pit again while heaving my ultimate into the inside wall as I fell. It's me, I am the kid picked last in kickball.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The most disappointing thing I've seen yet was an enemy team with 5 zaryas and one pointless toblerone. I told him he brought shame to his communist allies and I think they were too disappointed in him to keep going because they almost all switched away to other classes as the game went on, even after chaining 3 gravity balls in a row. I wanted to fight STRONG RUSSIAN WOMAN team and it got ruined by the existence of a little fuckin dwarf

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Digirat posted:

The most disappointing thing I've seen yet was an enemy team with 5 zaryas and one pointless toblerone. I told him he brought shame to his communist allies and I think they were too disappointed in him to keep going because they almost all switched away to other classes as the game went on, even after chaining 3 gravity balls in a row. I wanted to fight STRONG RUSSIAN WOMAN team and it got ruined by the existence of a little fuckin dwarf

To be fair it was like the culmination of a thousand of his best dreams.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
There is nothing more annoying than either:

a) having a genji/tracer/reaper run straight through your team and having nobody turn around. They aren't terrible, everyone, they're going to murder the healer. Come on.

or b) having a genji/tracer/anyone with movement skills on your team and an enemy Sym and the movement characters straight up refusing to go find the tele. It should not be up to the support to try and find a tele so we maybe have a chance at winning.

Guh. Losing because you're out skilled is one thing, losing because people act like idiots is another.

-edit- Oh yeah since I'm still pretty salt about this: if a support killer jumps your mercy and you're at a safe distance/higher elevation, don't turn and run away from the big bad Winston a half mile away. I'm trying to fly to you.

Parasara fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 18, 2016

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
This game sometimes feels like it was created solely to frustrate the poo poo out of people.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Mccree is... pretty bad right now. It's basically impossible to kill a Reaper solo for one thing. I don't think he was actually overpowered before, just frustrating to fight against.
It can also be pretty hard to kill Genji's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean, you play this game sometimes, don't you?