Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Hoss Corncave posted:

The story for the game is pretty crazy too. This pro dodge ball player gets too cocky, does a super shot that goes off into the crowd in the stadium, hurting and killing a lot of people including his wife, and so he decides to hold a tournament to dissuade people from playing it. I'm not making this up.

I forget where but I recall reading a theory about Japanese games always including elaborate narratives. Basically it posited that since in the 70's and 80's computers were very limited in the number of objects they could populate to a screen at one time, Asian developers had an advantage in terms of cramming more text on the screen, seeing as how one kanji and one roman letter are the same size to a computer. This made it so that primitive games made in Japan quickly took advantage of the ease of conveying long and complex thoughts, thus putting the emphasis on story-driven experiences, while western developers tended toward more action-oriented games which required little or no reading. Maybe this was talked about on Extra Credits? Who knows. There is a distinct possibility that this is all horseshit (it is definitely aporcyphal, being that the only source so far is "some fucker with a let's play") but it's a cute idea anyway.

It also serves the pressing need for some kind of explanation as to why Deathsmiles had 9,000 lines of dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
I guess we had talked about this a long while back, but here's Donkey Kong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqxtmV__SnY

This was obviously recorded very early in the "season" since we're talking about Head to Head like it's a new thing still.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
P.S. I believe this to be the 100th game featured on this interminable LP. Neat!

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Lemma posted:

P.S. I believe this to be the 100th game featured on this interminable LP. Neat!

If you had watched the outro, you'd know that King of the Monsters 2 is the 100th game.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I WAS gonna have a post explaining some of the history of the archie sonic comic but then I got sidetracked by how many different notable people are named Michael Gallagher

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Gallagher

This includes the first main writer for the Archie Sonic comic, who did stuff for Mad Magazine, and was the nephew of George Gately (the guy who created Heathcliff), and thus by extension cousin to Peter Gallagher (the current Heathcliff guy, known for giving us such jewels as "I'm Bad News", the Garbage Ape, and the Ham Helmet)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 9, 2016

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
For those of you interested, I finally got around to re-recording the original MCIHAD opening. I basically murdered my voice doing it too.

https://soundcloud.com/sandlecs/mom-can-i-have-another-dollar

This was quick and dirty, since I have a trial for an audio mastering suite that I wanted to use before I can't use it.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Alright, it's Monday and here's the 100th game we've played on Mom Can I Have Another Dollar. We got King of the Monsters 2! I can't recall if it's mentioned in this episode or not, but this is the game that made Nick and Kyle decide to make this show. Also, requested by Danger Pumpkin. (Or did you want the first one? Eh, oh well.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqeVd5gA1aQ

Just in case anyone was curious or even realized that we record in Orlando, we're all fine. I only say that, because a surprising amount of people in my family seemed to think I frequent the gay clubs.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

AMovieReference posted:

Alright, it's Monday and here's the 100th game we've played on Mom Can I Have Another Dollar. We got King of the Monsters 2! I can't recall if it's mentioned in this episode or not, but this is the game that made Nick and Kyle decide to make this show. Also, requested by Danger Pumpkin. (Or did you want the first one? Eh, oh well.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqeVd5gA1aQ

Just in case anyone was curious or even realized that we record in Orlando, we're all fine. I only say that, because a surprising amount of people in my family seemed to think I frequent the gay clubs.

The commentary's out of sync: Game Footage and audio skip forwards at around 1:47 but the commentary doesn't.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

The commentary's out of sync: Game Footage and audio skip forwards at around 1:47 but the commentary doesn't.

Well son of a whore. I blame Keith for making me put in the WTC jokes.

I fixed it for the next episode at least. Everything is just like a few seconds behind, and I think we barely even talked about what was happening on the screen.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Here's Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjjsmfPYrv8

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
And finally, King of the Monsters 2 part 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUsIIzaDIvM

I have nothing really witty to put here.

Edit: Oh, can someone draw me a picture of "Yonic the Hedgehog" by Sunday? I wanna put it in Monday's video.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

AMovieReference posted:

Edit: Oh, can someone draw me a picture of "Yonic the Hedgehog" by Sunday? I wanna put it in Monday's video.

these hands have sinned

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Do y'all think you'll get to Denjin Makai 2/Guardians anytime soon? I'm eager to see what you think of it, especially compared to the fever dream that was Gaia Crusaders.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Simon The Digger posted:

Do y'all think you'll get to Denjin Makai 2/Guardians anytime soon? I'm eager to see what you think of it, especially compared to the fever dream that was Gaia Crusaders.

We're set to start recording in about two weeks, and we'll be doing that one for sure. I checked it out to see what it was like and I can already tell it's gonna be something special.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

these hands have sinned

I showed this to Nick. His response was more than pleasing.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
As of right now, we have 95 games on our "big list of games to play", and that's for next "season".

So apologies if it seems like we take a while to get requests out, but we try to keep it interesting. I won't reveal the games on the list, since I don't like the idea of people looking up anything about weird games and learning all the secrets about it. I think of it, you're experiencing the game the way we did. Going in blind.

I will however list the requested games, just to make sure that we got everyone. In no particular order:

NBA Jam - FredMSloniker
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs - Nebiros
Metal Slug 3 - Shivershorts
The Punisher - Kinfolk910, Phanos
B.Rap Boys - Cangelosi
Two Tigers - Kangra
Jurassic Park Lost World -Hoss Corncave
Looping- Mark Green
Venture- Mark Green
Spiderman: The video game -OK Octopus, Phanos, CaptainRufus, PSWII60
Spin Master -Kuerig
Twinkle Star Sprites -Smoke
Crazy Taxi -Kinfolk910
NARC -Cangelosi
Guardians -Simon the Digger
Rhythm Tengoku -The Ayshkerbundy
Ganbare Ginkun -The Ayshkerbundy
Arm Wrestling -The Ayshkerbundy
Rampart - Hyphz, Bellmaker, Captain Rufus
Robocop -CaptainRufus

If we missed something, let me know, and I'll throw it on there. Hopefully we'll hit at least one game per person next session, which is what we normally try to do.

Thanks for all the support guys. It's always kinda cool to realize that someone out there is watching. . . By choice. . . I assume.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You've got my name on there, but that's not how you spell it. Or the Coffee Machine that everyone thinks it is.

AMovieReference posted:

Thanks for all the support guys. It's always kinda cool to realize that someone out there is watching. . . By choice. . . I assume.

Of course I'm watching this willingly. It would be daft to think otherwise. Laughable really. So put your mind at ease.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Quoting myself from a few months ago:

Rollersnake posted:

Oh hell, I can't believe it's taken me this long to notice this thread. And you've already done Growl and Trio the Punch! :neckbeard:

A few 2-player recommendations:
Wild West Cowboys of M.O.O. Mesa (Awesome Konami run & gun, based on a short-lived cartoon I have never seen. Would be a great follow-up to Sunset Riders, if you play that.)
Snow Bros. 2: With New Elves
Blue's Journey
Art of Fighting 3: The Path of the Warrior (still maybe the prettiest fighting game ever made)

M.O.O. Mesa would make for the most entertaining video, I think, but Snow Bros. 2 would absolutely provide material for new border art. Don't spoil that one for yourselves if you decide to do it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 17, 2016

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Rollersnake posted:

Quoting myself from a few months ago:

M.O.O. Mesa would make for the most entertaining video, I think, but Snow Bros. 2 would absolutely provide material for new border art. Don't spoil that one for yourselves if you decide to do it.

Oh yeah, these are on the list as well. I must have skimmed over them too quickly.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
I did mention Initial D. But if this is just a partial list it might be on that full list. Just one favor actually. Could you list my name as Gryphon and not as Kinfolk910? Thank you.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

AMovieReference posted:

Hey, patience is a virtue after all, and I've liked all the ones I've seen so far.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Oh boy. Blue's Journey. I kinda wish we pointed out more of the spelling and syntax errors, but what we get instead is pretty wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XwC6mhIFVg

I'll post all the pictures later on, since they're pretty amazing.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

AMovieReference posted:

Oh boy. Blue's Journey. I kinda wish we pointed out more of the spelling and syntax errors, but what we get instead is pretty wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XwC6mhIFVg

I'll post all the pictures later on, since they're pretty amazing.

Could you specify which Yonic the Hedgehog I drew in the description? I don't want people assuming that did all of those monstrosities, just the one monstrosity that I actually synthesized.

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 20, 2016

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Could you specify which Yonic the Hedgehog I drew in the description? I don't want people assuming that did all of those monstrosities, just the one monstrosity that I actually synthesized.

It is done.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Now for something slightly lighter, Soccer Brawl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9PgYlgpCLw

I always enjoy these fantastical sports games where everything is high speed and violent. I'm thinking more of Blitz, but this is still pretty decent.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Now the conclusion of Blue's Journey, and ourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0B-IDoiCzQ

Next week we're doing Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, cause we're on the pulse of the fighting game community. . .

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

all this yonic the hedgehog talk has made me remember an old realization of mine about how AoStH robotnik looks phallic (or should I say, Pingas-like)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Are you still taking recommendations? Because I have one you might enjoy. It's a 2 player co-op vertical shmup game called Areo Fighters 2 on the NeoGeo (also known as Sonic Wings 2 in Japan, but I highly recommend you get the engrish version). Be sure you get Areo Fighters 2, and not 1, as 1 is missing a lot of the, uh, 'charm' 2 has. Be sure you carefully view the character select screen and don't skip the cutsceens.

For a college health class, I got a speaking assignment on yonic and phallic imagery, where we were encouraged to use visual aids. I took the opportunity to draw dicks everywhere, just like the founding fathers intended.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 24, 2016

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Suspect Bucket posted:

Are you still taking recommendations? Because I have one you might enjoy. It's a 2 player co-op vertical shmup game called Areo Fighters 2 on the NeoGeo (also known as Sonic Wings 2 in Japan, but I highly recommend you get the engrish version). Be sure you get Areo Fighters 2, and not 1, as 1 is missing a lot of the, uh, 'charm' 2 has. Be sure you carefully view the character select screen and don't skip the cutsceens.

For a college health class, I got a speaking assignment on yonic and phallic imagery, where we were encouraged to use visual aids. I took the opportunity to draw dicks everywhere, just like the founding fathers intended.

Of course, always taking requests.

Just to make sure, I looked into the game to see if it was the "Engrish version". . . I really hope we can beat it with some characters now.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Alright, here's today's episode: Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition Part 1, probably one of the more complicated titles so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6DcQN9-Qgc

The "intro" video is odd looking because I had to get rid of the animation since Capcom tried to ding us. So don't worry if looks weird.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

AMovieReference posted:

Of course, always taking requests.

Just to make sure, I looked into the game to see if it was the "Engrish version". . . I really hope we can beat it with some characters now.

I love frying over the ocean.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Here's Part deux of Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGadsvEpOF4

AMovieReference fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 29, 2016

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
In the grand scheme of things, Seth really isn't a hard boss even in his second form. I kinda want to see you play some SNK fighting games to see the fun of some stupidly strong bosses.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Hoss Corncave posted:

In the grand scheme of things, Seth really isn't a hard boss even in his second form. I kinda want to see you play some SNK fighting games to see the fun of some stupidly strong bosses.

I remember when the game first came out and how much Bullshit I thought he was. The fact that the first round is pretty much a joke does make him absurdly easy compared to other fighting games out there though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoyFFpnFMJE

Here's part 3. Probably not gonna play any more games that are as popular and widely available as this again. Also recording more stuff starting next week, and since we've last recorded it looks like a ton of emus got updated and makes several games actually playable so hopefully that will make for some interesting stuff. A lot more 3D games from the early to mid 2000s at the least. Probably gonna try to retool Head to Head to work towards a wager at the end of the "season" to hopefully make the concept more entertaining.

Here's what requests we got:

B.Rap Boys
NARC
GI Joe
WWF Superstar
Robo cop
Road Blaster
NBA Jam
Crazy Taxi
Initial D
The Punisher
Jurassic Park Lost World
Rampart
Vindicators
Two Tigers
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Cop
Crimson Clover
Metal Slug 3
Spin Master
Looping
Venture
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
Spiderman: The video game
Wild West Cowboys of M.O.O. Mesa
Art of FIghting 3: The Path of the Warrior
Snow Bros. 2: With New Elves
Guardians
Twinkle Star Sprites
Sonic Wings 2
Ganbare Ginkun
Rhythm Tengoku
Arm Wrestling
Toki

AMovieReference fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 1, 2016

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I requested Toki a while back, but I don't see it on the list.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

I dont know posted:

I requested Toki a while back, but I don't see it on the list.

Oops, sorry about that. That's why I've been posting the requested games to make sure we didn't miss anyone by our incompetence.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I am super looking forward to Cadillac's and Dinosaurs.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I'm not looking forward to VF because I know I'll be hyper critical watching it.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Hoss Corncave posted:

I'm not looking forward to VF because I know I'll be hyper critical watching it.

Spoiler, we're probably gonna suck at Virtua Fighter.

Speaking of fighters though, here's "The First Funky Fighter" requested by Gimbal Lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_p2gcO_lDo

We had a first episode, but Keith lost his audio and then he was able to recover it later, but doesn't really feel like it needs more than one episode.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
I forgot we're in the stupid central time zone when I set this up to be scheduled to release at noon, so the video came out a bit later. Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lMZw3X7k1w

Here's Mega Twins, a slightly obscure Capcom platformer from yesteryear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Then there's this game, requested by Lizard Wizard a billion years ago (if he even looks at this thread any longer.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywZgVcWgmTc

Bonanza Bros. Apparently he and Keith are the only two people who know who these characters are.

• Locked thread