Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

StarMinstrel posted:

Has the game been patched yet to be good, in comparison to 2070 and 1404? I just own the base game.

What are you looking for in the game? I think it's good but I'm a 100% builder/trader type. I like the micro too which is now more complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

He probably means multiplayer or random maps, neither of which are ever likely to be in the game

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GoG is having a summer sale which includes the whole old Anno bundle 1602, 1503, 1701 and 1404. You can buy them individually on sale too of course.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Efexeye posted:

He probably means multiplayer or random maps, neither of which are ever likely to be in the game

Wish people would simply say what they want. Geezus.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Hah yes I was needlessly vague. What I felt was lacking in the game:

You could trade for everything you need at better energy prices than producing stuff yourself.

There was no point really to do military missions but to get a tiny resources bonus that could be gotten to easily from either a completed map or trade.

There was this feeling that there was not much point in restarting a new company, and that once you reached the end game that was it.

That is all I can remember now, it has been so long since my last play through (which was about a month after release). I might be misremembering some details even.

Mostly I was underwhelmed after 2070, despite some very good QoL improvements.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Really this game is a great technical success, I have enjoyed the gently caress out of it and played lots of corps to level 60+, a couple past a million employee-citizen-units. Colonizing the moon and watching as the settlement grows to this day gives me nerd glee.

But there's definitely something that's not quite on. I personally don't mind the static maps too much, probably due to whatever it is about me that makes me just adore covering digital land with grid hells, I greatly loving appreciate the game showing me the logistics data I actually want instead of requiring me to build a spreadsheet in order to determine the number and type of factories and farms at current productivity levels I need to slap down, the tundra is almost as cool as building a giant moon city with a moon hotel for sketchy used car salesmen...but there's something missing, or maybe everything just doesn't quite come together? I don't know, but I'll probably start another corp to check out the new stuff this week.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger is the instanced combat poo poo. And I have no idea if there's a simple skirmish mode or anything. I enjoyed the combat in Anno 2070, why did they have to make this so wonky? :psyduck: The city building and management is top notch though it looks.

So goons, if I actually want to be able to wreck my competitors violently, should I get this?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Thronde posted:

The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger is the instanced combat poo poo. And I have no idea if there's a simple skirmish mode or anything. I enjoyed the combat in Anno 2070, why did they have to make this so wonky? :psyduck: The city building and management is top notch though it looks.

So goons, if I actually want to be able to wreck my competitors violently, should I get this?

Competitors?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
The AI factions

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Thronde posted:

The AI factions

They're basically non existent or abstracted away. I guess I haven't played since the last update but you're building alone with no competition, nothing affects you and there's no other players .

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Palleon posted:

They're basically non existent or abstracted away. I guess I haven't played since the last update but you're building alone with no competition, nothing affects you and there's no other players .

There's a little bit more interaction since the last update, you can buy shares in those companies and they'll try to buy theirs back, or buy yours. But yeah, there's still no other players on the maps.

I'm baffled by the bonuses you get from owning all the shares in a company, +40% to everything is massive, plus if you maintain dominance in a certain industry (which you will at the latest when you buy out the company specializing in that industry), you get unlimited specialized modules. I've played a new game over the weekend and +40% energy production, plus basically no maintenance on energy buildings makes an enormous difference.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
If I'm new to Anno, should I get 1404, 1701, or even 1503 (the last of which I could play on my laptop as well)? I've gone balls deep into Factorio before so I like complexity and long supply chains.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

1404 or 2070 are the best ones, I'd also say they are pretty much equal with doing different things right over the other.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

StarMinstrel posted:

Hah yes I was needlessly vague. What I felt was lacking in the game:

You could trade for everything you need at better energy prices than producing stuff yourself.

There was no point really to do military missions but to get a tiny resources bonus that could be gotten to easily from either a completed map or trade.

Trading for stuff is really expensive now, but if you watch the market like a hawk you could probably make it work in your favor. I don't want to micromanage that much.

Trying to rely simply on completed maps for rare materials has not worked out for me. The fastest ways to rare materials now is to do the combat missions on expert, but again, I don't want to micromanage that much :). It's not a battle game, so seems silly to have to babysit your fleet through the combat missions.

Basically they've put a stock market into the game that if you want to expand, you'll need to work. Don't do it at the earliest opportunity, otherwise you'll find yourself mostly broke. You need to have an income of at least $45K to play in the market. The stock market takes the game from being a mayor of a lot of places to more of a manger role, which I think is good.

For me at least, 2205 is the pinnacle, but really it depends on what you are looking for. I like a logistics game that isn't too challenging (if I'm going to do work, someone is paying me money I'm not paying them money) and that has a lot of hours in it. 2070 is alright as well, but having to look up break points for supply chains is a pain in the rear end and I don't plan on playing it again. And yes, if you simply have to have MP and random maps then suck it up and play 2070. I haven't missed either, so 2205 is great. The (last?) DLC, Orbital, will be out soon, putting you into outer space apparently.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Myriarch posted:

If I'm new to Anno, should I get 1404, 1701, or even 1503 (the last of which I could play on my laptop as well)? I've gone balls deep into Factorio before so I like complexity and long supply chains.
1404 is the best of the old ones by far, and it's still on sale on GoG for about four bucks which means no drm or uplay involved! :v:

But there is no story or anything connecting them if you're worried about that. They all have campaigns (tutorials really) but you can safely get whichever you think looks the most fun.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Myriarch posted:

I think 2205 is the best builder/logistics sim. I really liked 1404 for its art direction and feeling of immersion, but I don't find Factorio is strong in these areas, so perhaps it doesn't matter as much to you. Ymmv.

I don't enjoy the competitive or fighting aspects of these games so I don't see a point to 2070.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Myriarch posted:

1404 or 2070 are the best, get which ever setting seems more interesting to you. Both are worth it, if you like one, you'll like the other.

I haven't played 2205 yet, waiting for a good sale.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Did 2205 ever find a solution to the issue of, once you've maxed out your Corp and filled all the islands, there's no real reason to make a new corp and do it all again?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Rhjamiz posted:

Did 2205 ever find a solution to the issue of, once you've maxed out your Corp and filled all the islands, there's no real reason to make a new corp and do it all again?

No, there's no 'real reason' to do that other than to keep playing the game, but that's the same as all the other Anno games. You could try out the new stock market mechanics to see if that does it for you, but if the reason you didn't like it was the lack of competitors or random islands or a core mechanic like that, that stuff's not going to change.

Personally I'm hoping for another old timey Anno to come out with the UI of 2205 but gameplay more like 1404.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

1404 is the prettiest as far, and if you like Ye Olde times stuff it's the best.

2070 is on the same engine as 1404 and has a bunch of QOL improvements (though there's an unoffical patch/hack for 1404 that brings some back). Also has 3 factions instead of two for you to satisfy which leads to more potential replay-ability/customization. If you like near-future stuff it'll probably be the one you prefer over the two.

2205 is a whole different beast that streamlines things very well and has some massive QOL improvements, but the relatively static maps can kill replay-ability.

Poil posted:

But there is no story or anything connecting them if you're worried about that. They all have campaigns (tutorials really) but you can safely get whichever you think looks the most fun.

They are connected by the fluffiest of fluffy fluff. All three have members of the Jorgenson family (and the Jorgenson lady in 2070 outright mentions her ancestor in 1404). And there are numerous references to 2070 (and how hilariously incompetent ALL THREE big players in 2070 were) in 2205 (though breaking the streak, Ville Jorgenson in 2205 is probably the second most competent Arctic Custodian just because he realizes "let's hire the player character who has his own navy to deal with our Orbital Watch issues, his ancestors in comparison are the biggest dopes).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rhjamiz posted:

They put in a few achievements that tickle that scenario itch for me, and a higher difficulty, but other than that and the new stuff shaking up the optimisation so that even if you were all built out before you can build out even more, no.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ultimately anno 2205 is a much chiller game than 2070. I personally like the change, since no competitors is basically how i played it anyway and the QOL improvemnts are huge for me.

I do miss the creeping darkness 2070 had, but 2205 has enough to entertain me.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Well, I finally bought 2205 and I'm enjoying it. I never played multiplayer in Anno, and don't care about the combat so I don't mind those being gone. I tried the sector combat, and holy cow that was bad.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Cheat infinite nukes on combat zones. It's the only cheat I do in this game but my god I couldn't play it without.

Edit: Any news when orbit will be out? They kinda suck at getting information out about release dates. Their forums seem to suggest it's this month?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Orbit will release July 20th. Here is some back story.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Lorini posted:

Orbit will release July 20th. Here is some back story.

Ah, cool. Didn't realize it was coming that soon though I see they were having some private play testing done.

I actually had a lot of fun with the Big Five update they rolled out a while back, it does add some variety to the gameplay to help break things up a bit with the random crises and having to fight everyone over the stock market. Built another level 110 company while trying all that out. Will be sure to pick that game back up to build a space station and see how all that pans out.

Wonder what (if this series isn't killed off) they have planned next, if they're going to find more DLC things for 2205 or if they ever plan on revisiting the 'near future' Anno world.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I honestly think I might be retarded. I can't for the life of me figure out how to buy the DLC for 2205. I click on 'buy now' in the DLC tab for the game on uPlay, it just takes me to the front page of the store. I go to the 2205 screen in the store and there's no mention of the DLC. I search for the DLC, nothing. I go into the game, click on PURCHASE NOW on the big obnoxious ad for Tundra that pops up, it just takes me to the front page of the uPlay store in the in-game browser. I click on 'DLC overview', same result.

How is it difficult to give Ubisoft money? What bizarre alternate universe have I found myself in?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well the easiest way would probably be click on the Shop tab and then go to the Games drop down list and pick anno. You should be able to see everything from there.

I'd poke around other sites too. I got the season pass for way cheaper than buying it straight from Ubisoft.

edit: huh double checked but Orbit isn't in the list just season pass or Tundra. I'm sure it was there before.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 16, 2016

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

quote:

click on the Shop tab and then go to the Games drop down list and pick anno

Maybe it's a region thing?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well the season pass is on HumbleStore maybe you can try that?
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/anno-2205-season-pass

Other than that I'd just google around a bit.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Darkhold posted:

Well the season pass is on HumbleStore maybe you can try that?
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/anno-2205-season-pass

Other than that I'd just google around a bit.

I'd worried about resorting to keystores since it wasn't on GMG and I don't trust any others but HumbleStore is a safe bet. Thanks!

Tehan fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 16, 2016

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Full information on Orbit DLC and included free changes.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
In case anyone was thinking of taking the plunge (and didn't do this during the Summer Sale for some reason) this week Steam has the Anno series as part of their midweek madness - Anno 2205 specifically is 50% off though this doesn't appear to apply to the DLC.

The Orbit DLC is still scheduled to be released tomorrow as well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The DLC and the free changes are released. Here are some dev insights.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kind of a shame the station exists on a flat plane.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So the tech web is kinda neat, and powerful. You can use alternate resources for certain stuff. Mainly:
-Rice instead of meat for luxury meals
-Bioresin (sunflowers) instead of synthcells (algae) for medication (or you can have your water desalination plants produce algae)
-Plasma Smelters (super Alloys) use Cobalt over Molybdenum
-Fusion plants can use Moon Ice over Deuterium
-Hardware fabrication plants can use good ol' microchips instead of Q-bit processors to make quantum computers.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Alkydere posted:

This sounds ridiculously overpowered and broken.

Ptolo
Oct 31, 2011

Alkydere posted:

So the tech web is kinda neat, and powerful. You can use alternate resources for certain stuff. Mainly:
-Rice instead of meat for luxury meals
-Bioresin (sunflowers) instead of synthcells (algae) for medication (or you can have your water desalination plants produce algae)
-Plasma Smelters (super Alloys) use Cobalt over Molybdenum
-Hardware fabrication plants can use good ol' microchips instead of Q-bit processors to make quantum computers.

Sounds like some much needed customization options! :D
Although I am also concerned at how unbalanced these new options are.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

64bitrobot posted:

I thought the whole game was ridiculously overpowered??? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

64bitrobot posted:

There's also the good ol' "+10% productivity for industry sector" researches on top of everything else. You know, kinda like what the stock market gives you. And a whole bunch other junk.

In short it dogpiles to become ABSURDLY overpowered.

Edit: in fact the first tech you get in any tree is a straight up +10% productivity. Followed by another +10% midway down any tree. Then crazy poo poo like "-15% agricultural consumption" and "Androids in storage give workforce". :v:

Oh and apparently fragments of F.A.T.H.E.R. are still floating around. If you sit on the research screen long enough A.D.A.M. basically has to do the AI equivalent of booting the rogue AI out the door.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 20, 2016

• Locked thread