Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Nyeehg posted:

Since dogs and cats keep coming up, I got a problem I wanna run by the thread.

So I've seriously been considering getting a dog. I love dogs and I feel having a dog around would be good for me and my little brother (who I live with).

The thing is, while I've had pets all my life, it's been over 15 years since I last owned a dog (my cat wouldn't allow new pets). While I'd like to think I know what I'm getting into, does anyone here have any advice/suggestions of things I should know before I go through with it?

Thanks.

Don't let any other dogs beat it up while it's little or it will be aggressive towards other dogs when it gets older, and don't beat it up or it will be afraid of people.

Don't be wishy washy with training and don't ever let it eat people food or beg (unsalted meat and rice are fine but no begging) for it... it's horrible for them in the long run and turns them into crackheads in the short term.

Try to not leave it alone for at least the first 6mo, and socialize it with people/kids/dogs/other animals as much as possible under controlled conditions.

e: dinner cattes

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

:reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4oq5o3/scott_manley_star_citizen_alpha_24_persistent/

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Really appreciate all the responses. While I'll be thinking about this for a few months before I make a decision it's really helpful to see all these points written down like this.

I hadn't heard of puppy farms before reading the thread (I'm not in the US). Holy Christ...:smithicide:

Fat Shat Sings posted:

When talking about sarspariller make sure to say

"Wasn't he the one who bought in for $4,000, got a refund due to being disillusioned and then when the PU came out bought back in for $4000 more dollars"

"getting a refund and buying back" is only the tip of that stupidity iceberg

Wait, is Sarsparilla the guy who did in-depth posts about his time with each build? I thought he was in for $2000.

At any rate, I hope he got his refund. As I recall, he was trying to get one after being fed up with the PU. Did he stop posting here or have I just missed his posts in my attempts to keep up with the thread.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Uh yeah about that

Checkmate goonie :smuggo:

OK, you and 1721 CIG bots

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

EminusSleepus posted:

Nope.gif

They are not deleting anything AFAIK. Else unmelting of ships or reversal of upgrades should not be possible.

pre:
Star Citizen Rhapsody
Is this a real game?
Is this just fantasy?
Oh look a ship sale,
You'll see more in about two weeks.

Open your eyes,
This will save the PC.
I'm just a space poor, I get no sympathy,
Must be a concierge, don't you know?
Poly's high, priced so low,
Any way that Chris goes, doesn't really matter to me, to me.

Honey, just made a pledge,
LTI got in my head,
Pulled the trigger, now I'm dead.
Honey, we had cash for food,
But now I've gone and thrown it all away.

Honey, ooh,
Didn't mean to make you cry,
But concept sales will end this time tomorrow,
Carry on, carry on because your needs just don't matter.

Too late, my bills have come,
Sent shivers down my spine,
Wallet's empty all the time.
Goodbye, everybody, I've got to go,
Gotta leave you all behind and face divorce.

Honey, ooh (any way that Chris goes),
I don't wanna lie,
I sometimes wish we'd never had kids at all.

I see a concept silhouetto of a ship,
In the 'Verse, In the 'Verse, will you buy the Omega?
PBR, Spec Lighting!
Very much enticing me.
('Nother Stretch Goal!) 'Nother Stretch Goal!
('Nother Stretch Goal!) 'Nother Stretch Goal!
'Nother Stretch Goal Here We Go!
I'll sell my soul.

I'm just a space poor, nobody loves me.
He's just a space poor with no more family,
Spare him some change for his gray market spree.

Easy come, easy go, will Chris let me go?
Concept Sale! No, Chris will not let you go. (Let him go!)
Concept Sale! Chris will not let you go. (Let him go!)
Concept Sale! Chris will not let you go. (Let me go!)
Chris won't let you go. (Let me go!)
Never, never let you go
Never let me go, oh.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
Oh, Sandi Gardiner, Sandi Gardiner (Sandi Gardiner, let me go.)
But CIG has a space plant set aside for me, for me, for me.

So you think you can troll me and get me to cry?
So you think you can mock me and say it's a lie?
That's crazy! Chris won't let me down! Crazy!
Just gotta spend more, just gotta spend more till it's done.

(Oh, yeah, oh yeah)

Nothing else will matter,
Anyone can see,
Nothing else will matter,
Nothing else will matter to me.

Any way that Chris goes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

happyhippy posted:

"Bohemian Parpsody"

Is this a real game?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a flash sale,
No escape from poverty.

Open your wallets,
Look up to the skies and pay,
I'm just a poor commander, I need no sympathy,
Because my money is easy come, easy go,
Little ship, little low,
Anything the dev does doesn't really matter to me, to me.

Mama, just bought a ship,
Put my pin into the site,
Pressed enter, now mine by right.
Mama, my spacelife has just begun,
But now I've gone and thrown my money away.

Mama, ooh,
Didn't mean to make you cry,
If the game is not out this time tomorrow,
Carry on, carry on as if nothing really matters.

Too late, another sale has come,
Ship shivers down my spine,
Alpha'a crashing all the time.
Goodbye, paycheck, I've got to buy,
Gotta leave you all behind and RP a catpirate.

Mama, ooh (anyway the dev goes),
I don't wanna PvParp,
I sometimes wish I'd never bought it at all.

I see a little interdictor of a ship,
Buccaneer, Buccaneer, will you be my jpego?
Interdicts and fighting,
Not very exciting me.
(Buyitnow) Buyitnow.
(Buyitnow) Buyitnow,
Buyitnow Sandysayso
Benifico.

I'm just a poor whale, nobody loves me.
He's just a poor whale from a now poor family,
Spare him his life from this monstrosity.

Easy come, easy go, will you let me play?
Benssayno! No, we will not let you play. (Let him play!)
Benssayno! We will not let you play. (Let him play!)
Benssayno! We will not let you play. (Let me play!)
Will not let you play. (Let me play!)
Never, never let you play.
Never let me play, oh.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
Oh, mama mia, mama mia (Mama mia, let me play.)
Ben has some concept art for me, for me, for me.

So you think you can PvP me and steal my ride?
So you think you can kill me and leave me to die?
Oh, foruns, can't do this to me, forums,
Just gotta post this, just gotta whine about this here.

(Oh, yeah, oh yeah)

Nothing really matters,
Anyone can see,
Nothing really matters,
Nothing really matters to me.

Anything the devs does.

I was here first. :colbert:

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

AP posted:

https://twitter.com/RayRoocroftCIG/status/743813972504125440

Roy on twitter is cracking me up, boy does that guy hate the company he works for.

You are blocked from following @RayRoocroftCIG and viewing @RayRoocroftCIG's Tweets. Learn more

I've never even tweeted to him. It's prob cuss I've tweeted/retweeted Beer and derek

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Starkk posted:

You are blocked from following @RayRoocroftCIG and viewing @RayRoocroftCIG's Tweets. Learn more

I've never even tweeted to him. It's prob cuss I've tweeted/retweeted Beer and derek

Yup. He's a sensitive little snowflake, isn't he? Gets butthurt way too easily.

Oh wait, that's his boss.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen: Shmorky Edition?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

I just realized the G0rf's name is just Frog backwards.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

AP posted:

https://twitter.com/RayRoocroftCIG/status/743813972504125440

Roy on twitter is cracking me up, boy does that guy hate the company he works for.

I dunno. Every time I see people laugh about how he just burned CiG I read his account and don't see anything that really indicates he hates the company. :shrug:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I like this one, it's so far wrong it's ridiculous.

I guess the logic is that if I find that I'm not excited about buying clothes in a spaceship game then the problem must be with me, rather than say the bugs in the game that made me waste 3 hours to get 20 minutes of good footage. Even if the release were bug free then persistence is a dull but necessary feature that's not going to get anyone excited.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yup. He's a sensitive little snowflake, isn't he? Gets butthurt way too easily.

Oh wait, that's his boss.

It's just so bizarre how unprofessional all the customer facing staff are nowadays

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Starkk posted:

It's just so bizarre how unprofessional all the customer facing staff are nowadays

Sandi was not lying when she said she trained them

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

illectro posted:

I guess the logic is that if I find that I'm not excited about buying clothes in a spaceship game then the problem must be with me, rather than say the bugs in the game that made me waste 3 hours to get 20 minutes of good footage. Even if the release were bug free then persistence is a dull but necessary feature that's not going to get anyone excited.

The thing you always have to keep in mind is that these people are mind numbingly, catastrophically brain dead simpletons.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Nyeehg posted:

Really appreciate all the responses. While I'll be thinking about this for a few months before I make a decision it's really helpful to see all these points written down like this.

I hadn't heard of puppy farms before reading the thread (I'm not in the US). Holy Christ...:smithicide:

Wait, is Sarsparilla the guy who did in-depth posts about his time with each build? I thought he was in for $2000.

At any rate, I hope he got his refund. As I recall, he was trying to get one after being fed up with the PU. Did he stop posting here or have I just missed his posts in my attempts to keep up with the thread.

Dogs are great and people gave good advice. I'll reiterate not to get a huge dog. Unless you have the proper living arrangement (a lot of outside space) and even then they eat way more and take exponentially more care.

Also take anecdotal evidence on anything with a grain of salt. "MY dog ________." and at least do some proper research on where you are getting them / everything you'll do to take care of them. I don't know what the animal shelter situation is in whatever country you are from but at least in my area its just fields and fields of rescue pitbulls and I have friends with aggressive murderdogs tearing drywall off of their apartment walls and tearing open any nearby animals because they "Wanted a Dog" and "Got a dog"

Also when you get that dog, pet the ever loving poo poo out of it constantly.

Also on sarspariller he may have only been in for $2000 and I got the $4000 amount because he bought in twice. Hard to keep track of the complete depth of stupidity when talking about Star Citizen.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

illectro posted:

Some solid deduction on their part, I'm excited to see the Scott Manley Threat Analysis unveiled by an intrepid mall security guard on Reddit

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

illectro posted:

So you played 3 hours to get that footage without any bugs.
And all you got was insults because you didn't immerse yourself enough.

Im just glad there are other space games out there to play :)

PS. Your Scottish accent is as sexy as literally kermits accent is kermit like

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

illectro posted:

So bitter, you must be some kind of Salty Asshat. Maybe you should take a break from the game and come back later? Clearly game development is not for you. You just have to learn patience. After all it's just pre-alpha; this is perfectly normal for a game of this level of complexity and magnitude. Frankly you should be thankful that CIG is even providing access at this point! Most game developers would have this locked up and hidden from the public while they go through the kind of development headaches that we're seeing firsthand.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

illectro posted:

Nah m8, I reckon he's got that Scotch Mangly mother FUDder pegged right there. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to buy some more spacycles.

*Double checks deliberate misspelling of name, scatters salt around the monitor and tower.*

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Starkk posted:

CIG has no motivation whatsoever to be professional to the folks who have already given them money, especially the ones who will never give them any more.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

fnox posted:

Real loving talk, how come all shitizens manage to sound exactly the same when speaking about Star Citizen? Are they all just regurgitating marketing phrases? I've seen this sort of behavior from kids and the console they happened to get for Christmas, not from grown rear end men.

Star Citizen: Grown rear end-Men

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

Well - they did, and chose to stop at 65 million - there was a letter from the chairman that said they could keep going on and on but at some point, they just have stop with the stretch and start working on the game.

Lol, "we only start development once the stretch goals have stopped"

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Seravadon posted:

I dunno. Every time I see people laugh about how he just burned CiG I read his account and don't see anything that really indicates he hates the company. :shrug:

He's a sneaky one, it's obvious though from the days he tweets, that one is aimed at this jetbike sale. Basically buy anything else, his other tweets are similar.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

illectro posted:

In fairness, your good video editing makes the bugs and crashes invisible but for you complaining about them. A 'clean' stream of the game crashing over and over again would get that point across hard.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I need dvice. I just bought seven spcycles for my crew to ride when we go to our spce-job, delivering the spce-mail, but I don't have enough people to ply with, does anyone know where I cn hire six friends?

lso, how do you get slt out of a keybord if it is making the "" key not work?

ahmini
May 5, 2009

I liked the sneaky Eve reference

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Seravadon posted:

Yeah, he's pretty subtle but I like his little digs at CIG and Sandi in particular. I get the impression he doesn't like her a whole lot!

Edit. Also, after my Crobberts head tweet, blocked by Sandi. Not blocked by Disco and Alexis :lol:

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 19, 2016

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, if you can read between the lines you can see what is happening. It's hilarious. His tweets are my favourite thing during this latest lull in clusterfuckery.

fnox
May 19, 2013

illectro posted:

Who exactly, is a game programmer/developer to these people?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

fnox posted:

Who exactly, is a game programmer/developer to these people?

Only Chris. After all, he invented programming. And games.
Everyone else just ripped off his ideas, especially Ada Lovelace — the original source of the Elite codebase.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

ahmini posted:

I liked the sneaky Eve reference

Maybe it was too sneaky.

To be fair, it wasn't the clothes that cost the same as a capital ship, it was the Monocle.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

illectro posted:

Maybe it was too sneaky.

To be fair, it wasn't the clothes that cost the same as a capital ship, it was the Monocle.

The important thing about the monocle was that the virtual version cost more than a real one. :D

rabblerabble
Mar 24, 2016
Star Catizen

ahmini
May 5, 2009

Tippis posted:

The important thing about the monocle was that the virtual version cost more than a real one. :D

I wonder how many space monocle buyers ended up backing SC?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Salt, you mean from tears? Oh man that's so funny, I haven't heard that before.

Have some respect for your mother, she carried you around for 9 months thinking one day you'd have a functioning brain of your own. Everywhere you go it's salt this, salt that, overwatch is full of it, think for a moment just how derivative your humur is, congratulations you linked wikipedia in a failed attempt to breath freshness into something foul and rotten. Once you're fully come to terms with how stupid repeating this is, please inform another fellow internet user, hopefully in 7 years or so we can all help to stamp this disgusting practice out.

Or alternatively reply with a variation on this same embarrassing formula you seek approval with. Show all hope for you is lost. Are the people who find the same joke funny for the three hundredth time really the sort you want approval from?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Salt, you mean from tears? Oh man that's so funny, I haven't heard that before.

Have some respect for your mother, she carried you around for 9 months thinking one day you'd have a functioning brain of your own. Everywhere you go it's salt this, salt that, overwatch is full of it, think for a moment just how derivative your humur is, congratulations you linked wikipedia in a failed attempt to breath freshness into something foul and rotten. Once you're fully come to terms with how stupid repeating this is, please inform another fellow internet user, hopefully in 7 years or so we can all help to stamp this disgusting practice out.

Or alternatively reply with a variation on this same embarrassing formula you seek approval with. Show all hope for you is lost. Are the people who find the same joke funny for the three hundredth time really the sort you want approval from?
Nice meltdown.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I refuse to source my quote.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

thatguy posted:

I refuse to source my quote.

Says who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

illectro posted:

I like the line of reasoning that there is no other reason to have any criticism about Star Citizen other than reading posts here.

Like not only are we liars but we somehow brainwash people into repeating the things we say, which we say for ulterior motives.

THAT makes more sense than that CIG/StarCitizen are a shitshow that anyone can see, right out in the open and we are making fun of it. Nope. We have some kind of equal parts evil and persuasive ability to dedicate time to destroying Star Citizen.

• Locked thread