Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Deerstalker isn't worth the slot. Downed guys are so loud you should be able to find them anywhere, and they gravitate towards predictable hiding spots. I feel bad for that guy who crawled all the way across the map and got picked up ten feet from the exit though.

I think a ten percent chance on the second window within ten seconds, increasing by 10 or 20 for each consecutive window. One window's fine, two is cheeky but fine, three is starting to get iffy, both "is this a stealth horror game or comedy grab-rear end" wise and safety wise.

Edit: So there are better mementos! I wonder what points it gives you. I don't think you get any points for a bleedout, and I didn't see how many I got on the one I used. Cypress is cool but with the way the game is right now 9/10 the last guy's gonna trapdoor or disconnect.

Edit: Kill by your own hands is 1500 points, missed the icon but my sacrifice bar was full for three so I assume it's sacrifice.

Carried him to the abattoir while I waited for the third to sac. I think he knew what was happening cause he crawled into the meat locker and waited for it, despite the trapdoor not 20 feet away.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

You don't need to be standing still. It's when they're on the ground that it works. I personally like it but it's really not great at level 1. Good for when you have to leave people on the ground and go somewhere else.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

You don't need to be standing still. It's when they're on the ground that it works. I personally like it but it's really not great at level 1. Good for when you have to leave people on the ground and go somewhere else.

Oh OK, then I was seeing it after all. It is definitely a nice and shiny "look here dummy" but I agree that if they're injured then ears should work just fine.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Coolguye posted:

I've directly observed a trapper using insidious and it doesn't change your appearance outwardly at all, at least not from the range I was observing him from.

Apparently it also disables the red light in front of the killer. It would have to I suppose.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
I seem to keep running into people that know exactly where I am while cloaked as the wraith. One guy was shining the flashlight directly at me while cloaked, and a few others have known I was chasing them and were running away/dropping pallets/etc. The latter I can understand somewhat since it's my understanding that they can still hear the heartbeat when cloaked, but the former was too coincidental. What exactly does a survivor hear/see when the wraith is cloaked?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

H2SO4 posted:

I seem to keep running into people that know exactly where I am while cloaked as the wraith. One guy was shining the flashlight directly at me while cloaked, and a few others have known I was chasing them and were running away/dropping pallets/etc. The latter I can understand somewhat since it's my understanding that they can still hear the heartbeat when cloaked, but the former was too coincidental. What exactly does a survivor hear/see when the wraith is cloaked?

you have it the other way around, they can't hear your heartbeat, they CAN see a shimmer, basically it's like you're made of water - you displace light and are pretty noticable if someone's paying attention, if they aren't looking your way though they won't hear you coming.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Indecisive posted:

you have it the other way around, they can't hear your heartbeat, they CAN see a shimmer, basically it's like you're made of water - you displace light and are pretty noticable if someone's paying attention, if they aren't looking your way though they won't hear you coming.

Oh god, seriously? gently caress the manual, it's trash. So now I understand both scenarios. Someone who bolts when I sneak up behind them can just be looking that way while working on the generator.

For the next round of "bug or perk" - I downed someone as they were going through a window, they fell to the ground, and I didn't get an option to pick them up. Cloaked and uncloaked, ran a bit and came back, eventually the dude just bled out.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

H2SO4 posted:

You're actually really visible if you know what to look for. You're audible as hell too. He grunts and other poo poo, he's louder than Trapper's breathing. Your second post is a bug by the way.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Trying to pick someone up while they're next to something else with a spacebar prompt can cause that to happen.

The Wraith is pretty bad to be honest. The Hillbilly's good if you're good at him but without a way to deny windows I kind of write him off in the current benny hill meta. Trapper's the best. Get three or four generators covered and you can really just hang there and wait for them to come to you.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I was a huge fan of both Resident Evil Outbreak games so I am way into the solo queue in this one, but drat they were sure concerned that there might not be enough grinding in this.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Stop running when you are trying to be stealthy, doubly so if you get caught and trail the killer into someone else trying to actually to fix a gen.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Jesus I hate when people do that. Or when you've found a good spot to go to ground and somebody sprints up to it and hides next to you. gently caress off guy, there's a reason I don't pull you off the hooks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You're especially visible as Wraith if someone's a fan of the old Predator movies. It's very much a Predator shimmer when you're cloaked, so if someone knows that shimmer they will flip out instinctively.

The other thing you should definitely not do while cloaked as Wraith if you're trying to sneak up on someone is walk up on a hill. The shimmer is three times as noticeable when the backdrop is just the sky.

I'd actually put Hillbilly as worst killer overall, though, you are just way too obvious in the general sense to get many merciless victories. Wraith is worse than Trapper, but if you approach generators from the perimeter, you're practically guaranteed to get up in someone's grill, and that's by far the hard part of the hunt in general, is just laying eyes on someone.

Of course, this changes if you're in a cornfield, and then hell yeah give me some Hillbilly chainsaw massacre action.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
This was very, very satisfying. Only at the end did I notice the guy's name was a Twitch URL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKnmnz0LTiw

I also seem to notice that if you hit someone when they're running at/up against a wall, then sometimes you lose the ability to pick them up too. I was able to capture that too since I finally got ShadowPlay working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YydltkIteis

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 19, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Does the flashlight actually do anything?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Grognan posted:

Does the flashlight actually do anything?

Aside from making the killer drop who he is carrying, it turns the killers screen all white after several seconds. He can still attack.

I don't know what I'm talking about, but it seems too risky to use it only for the blinding effect.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 19, 2016

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Yep. It completely blinds the killer for 2-3 seconds, but you have to be dead on with it. If the killer's holding someone it'll force them to get dropped as well.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

H2SO4 posted:

Yep. It completely blinds the killer for 2-3 seconds, but you have to be dead on with it. If the killer's holding someone it'll force them to get dropped as well.

Dead on his head or just him? Because aiming the drat thing is a bad idea.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Pretty sure you have to directly cover their face with it, i've partially hit the face and it didn't seem to work but I haven't used it much, kind of a desparation play

time for my own noob question, does sacrificing someone on a hook make that hook unusable? I'm pretty sure I had someone sabotaging hooks in my match but I had JUST used this hook, captured the last dude right before he jumped in the hatch, took him back to that hook because it was the only one close enough and the hook was gone and he wriggled off and escaped :(

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Grognan posted:

Dead on his head or just him? Because aiming the drat thing is a bad idea.

I've mainly been on the receiving end of the flashlight, and it seems like they had to aim it at my face to get any actual effect. There's a bloodpoint bonus for dodging the flashlight, which basically means look away when someone starts waving it around.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to organize a couple Kill Your Friends games where we hop on Mumble and test these things. Doesn't KYF have everything unlocked?

Indecisive posted:

does sacrificing someone on a hook make that hook unusable?

Don't think so; only way I know of to make them unusable is to have someone sabotage it with a toolbox. I've had people actually get lucky with trying to escape off hooks though, could have been an unfortunate fluke. i completely misread this question.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 19, 2016

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
No, sacrificing someone definitely disables the hook, except the basement hooks which can never be disabled for anything.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

Indecisive posted:

Pretty sure you have to directly cover their face with it, i've partially hit the face and it didn't seem to work but I haven't used it much, kind of a desparation play

time for my own noob question, does sacrificing someone on a hook make that hook unusable? I'm pretty sure I had someone sabotaging hooks in my match but I had JUST used this hook, captured the last dude right before he jumped in the hatch, took him back to that hook because it was the only one close enough and the hook was gone and he wriggled off and escaped :(

Donnerberg posted:

Aside from making the killer drop who he is carrying, it turns the killers screen all white after several seconds. He can still attack.

I don't know what I'm talking about, but it seems too risky to use it only for the blinding effect.

I haven't used it personally because I play Killer almost exclusively and I avoid Wraith at all costs, but it's been brought up that hitting Wraith with it in Cloak form is pretty much a hard disable for 5-ish seconds or something absurd. He really is the worst killer.

Donnerberg posted:

The hooks stop working if the sacrifice is completed barring the ones in the rape basement. If you're playing Trapper it's not a bad idea to relocate all of your traps after that if you think you've got the time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The flashlight is hilariously good to use if you manage to get a killer stun with a pallet, if you're quick you can take the stun into a flashlight hit which absolutely will give you enough time to ditch the place. But in general yeah, a flashlight isn't really worth it unless you're not taking your day very seriously. A medkit is basically always better.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

Coolguye posted:

The flashlight is hilariously good to use if you manage to get a killer stun with a pallet, if you're quick you can take the stun into a flashlight hit which absolutely will give you enough time to ditch the place. But in general yeah, a flashlight isn't really worth it unless you're not taking your day very seriously. A medkit is basically always better.

This is 100% what I'm seeing people try and do, even if they don't get the stun they'll still stand there for a second and try to hit you.

Whenever someone wants to play games, I run away for a bit, then come back and break all the pallets they've dropped. Worked well so far since it forces them to at least scout out something else.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Destroying pallets is pretty pro click, yeah, especially if it is near a generator that you might raid again pretty soon. Brutality points too, which is never bad.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
12 chain stuns with pallets, gently caress that noise

H2SO4 posted:

This is 100% what I'm seeing people try and do, even if they don't get the stun they'll still stand there for a second and try to hit you.

Whenever someone wants to play games, I run away for a bit, then come back and break all the pallets they've dropped. Worked well so far since it forces them to at least scout out something else.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Coolguye posted:

You're especially visible as Wraith if someone's a fan of the old Predator movies. It's very much a Predator shimmer when you're cloaked, so if someone knows that shimmer they will flip out instinctively.

The other thing you should definitely not do while cloaked as Wraith if you're trying to sneak up on someone is walk up on a hill. The shimmer is three times as noticeable when the backdrop is just the sky.

I'd actually put Hillbilly as worst killer overall, though, you are just way too obvious in the general sense to get many merciless victories. Wraith is worse than Trapper, but if you approach generators from the perimeter, you're practically guaranteed to get up in someone's grill, and that's by far the hard part of the hunt in general, is just laying eyes on someone.

Of course, this changes if you're in a cornfield, and then hell yeah give me some Hillbilly chainsaw massacre action.

The chainsaw is absurdly amazing because you can fling your mouse around to aim anywhere in about 270 degrees when you let go of the button and hit around corners or cover

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Put it on a video or something cause I dunno what you mean by that. I'd love to play hillbilly if I could get him to work but I don't think I've ever seen a hillbilly actually land his chainsaw in-game, aside from two in my very first hillbilly game.

Going for Foxhound rating on survivor games has gone better than I expected, and I get why everybody cries about wraith at low levels. I can pretty easily stay hidden even in some ridiculous circumstances, playing like this isn't good for my blood pressure, but once I am seen it's pretty hard to get away without distractions from other players or houdini-tier shenanigans. From this stance wraith is actually the most dangerous killer for me. If I hear the heartbeat and I'm not caught with my pants down I can disappear easy. Wraith can spot me before I spot him and start the chase at melee range where I don't have many options.

If window-cheese gets nerfed and the devs try to force a more stealthy playstyle wraith might actually end up being OP.

poo poo's sweet though, when you play it the way it was supposed to be played it's actually really tense and a little scary. The disappearing acts won't endear you to your teammates and I rarely rescue people but they shouldn't have gotten caught in the first place. I'm here to get out, not to get you out :ancap:

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 19, 2016

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bup posted:

Put it on a video or something cause I dunno what you mean by that. I'd love to play hillbilly if I could get him to work but I don't think I've ever seen a hillbilly actually land his chainsaw in-game, aside from two in my very first hillbilly game.

When you let go of M2 you finish the charge manually and the end of charge swing you get to aim. I have been knocked down while at a 90' angle behind a car the hillbilly was charging past, it was terrifying.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I think I genuinely don't understand how to use flashlights. Rank 15 survivor and unless I've literally never gotten a successful flashlight hit there is zero feedback on whether you were successful, and there have been plenty of times I was sure I blinded someone but then it quickly became clear I did not.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Am I the only one that thinks being able to play with friends in ranked matches is going to break the game? Being a killer is hard enough. Now add in 4 man pre made teams on voice comms and the killer is kinda hosed.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
They could add an exp bonus for facing premades.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Just lost a pip too a chainsaw guy who sat staring at me on the hook for the entirety of my time. And I mean dead pressed against me, so close that at one point a teammate was trying to pull me off the hook and he physically couldn't get close enough to do it, meanwhile the killer was so oblivious that he didn't even swing at the guy trying to save me.

Never been happier to lose a pip, smiled every time another generator was done, and my hook was so close to an exit I could see a teammate opening it as the killer did nothing.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Yeah I hope they don't. You're gonna get loving reamed versus four organized players on voip.

There is no feedback on the flashlight unless you used it on a cloaked wraith which stuns and decloaks him, or you use it while he's carrying someone.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

LibbyM posted:

Just lost a pip too a chainsaw guy who sat staring at me on the hook for the entirety of my time. And I mean dead pressed against me, so close that at one point a teammate was trying to pull me off the hook and he physically couldn't get close enough to do it, meanwhile the killer was so oblivious that he didn't even swing at the guy trying to save me.

Never been happier to lose a pip, smiled every time another generator was done, and my hook was so close to an exit I could see a teammate opening it as the killer did nothing.

Maybe he felt the same way. I have sat there just watching twitch streamers and window hoppers die. Why? Because it felt good.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Raged posted:

Maybe he felt the same way. I have sat there just watching twitch streamers and window hoppers die. Why? Because it felt good.

Don't think he had had enough time to develop a personal grudge against me so, if he's that happy literally catching any survivor, good for him I guess. Everyone wins.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Hell yeah it does. Especially when you tune into their stream and get to watch the buttboys try to explain why it was actually his team's vault.

Yeah man, all three of them should've bumrushed me to rescue you when I was standing over you. I'm sure you would've done the same for any of them.

Bad teammates are the best anyway. I had this Dwight in a game earlier, I started calling him Dinkledick. He spawned next to me and followed me around, holding down sprint. Tried to repair a generator and he jumped on and immediately blew it. I hid, he followed, leaving plenty of scratches. Nothing came, so I got back on it and he blew it again. Moved on to a new one, he followed, blew that one too.

I started running too at that point and went into some debris to juke him, veered off in another direction and watched him run by looking for me. I had to hide from my loving teammate.

Thirty seconds later he got caught of course, and hooked in the basement. F to pay respects and all, except somebody saved him. That guy got hooked for his trouble and nobody saved him.

Just as I finished the last generator Dinkledick found his way back to me, killer in tow, and when our high rank Meg tried to heal him the killer got her and she died too. We split up in the confusion, hit both exits, and Dinkledick and I are the only survivors :shepicide:

Good game.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Raged posted:

Am I the only one that thinks being able to play with friends in ranked matches is going to break the game? Being a killer is hard enough. Now add in 4 man pre made teams on voice comms and the killer is kinda hosed.

This is literally the reason they didn't want to put it in in the first place. It was never planned and the game was balanced without premades in mind.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah it seems pretty obvious that the survivors are not intended to be communicating much, but they clearly don't think that it's going to be THAT big of a deal ultimately because they actually said premades would be in on release day. That didn't happen of course, but they're still saying it'll happen soon, which makes me wonder if they have some other substantial changes that will make communication less important.

e: Actually I think the solution's pretty easy: as a killer, you can choose whether or not the game will be ranked. Unranked games neither award nor take away ladder progression shards, and premades can only play unranked games.

If you don't want to deal with that bullshit you just play ranked, but if you do elect to play premade it can't mess with their ladder system.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

They sold a deluxe version that came with beta keys for 3 people, and no mode that lets 3 people play together. Deluxe edition aught to have come with 5 beta keys if the only way to play with friends was as a 5 person group. They brought all the complaints about friend lobby's on themselves.

• Locked thread