Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Because now they can say they MAID it big instead of PADding their resumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The "did anyone order MAID service?" jokes are already old

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
MAID in Canada

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So they don't have to rename it when they open it up to naturopaths and chiropractors.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hey there's a long tradition of natural cures for life, such as hemlock.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Christ, the one time the Senate tries to do something useful and good, and the House of Commons basically shakes its head and goes "nuh uh" like a petulant child.

The Liberals have been awfully poo poo lately.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

Christ, the one time the Senate tries to do something useful and good, and the House of Commons basically shakes its head and goes "nuh uh" like a petulant child.

Funny how this is the exact opposite of what a lot of people said would happen.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Senate has no business attempting to overrule the elected House :angel:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The House has no business passing legislation that experts say will not pass Supreme Court scrutiny.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Baiting the courts because you're too much of pussy to explain the changes to your base is classic politics.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

PT6A posted:

The Liberals have been awfully poo poo lately.

Lately?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
If only we could have predicted Liberal badness somehow.

quote:

Echoing Premier Kathleen Wynne, who advocates for marijuana sales to be restricted to provincially owned LCBO stores, Sousa said he wanted “to send out the signal” that the era of storefront weed dispensaries is soon coming to an end.

“I, at least, don’t see that being the distribution mechanism. It’s going to have to be controlled,” the treasurer warned.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/06/18/queens-park-gearing-up-for-legalized-weed-sales.html

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for saving us from an a undoubtedly hard-right NDP government guys. You did it.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Senate has no business attempting to overrule the elected House :angel:

Franks' has a reasonable point that they are doing their job, and it is important, but since they aren't elected I don't want them too. I would rather them be elected, and THEN do their job.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I would rather they not be elected, and do their job, because then they could force the Commons' hand into doing something politically risky but necessary, like removing the "reasonably foreseeable death" clause from the assisted dying law.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Senators need to be more like mps/mlas?? No thanks

Give them term limits or something, don't elect them, then it's all the problems we have with parliamentarians and campaign monied interests, only twice.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
How long until the first Supreme Court challenge over a patient who merely has a crippling, rather than terminal illness

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Eej posted:

How long until the first Supreme Court challenge over a patient who merely has a crippling, rather than terminal illness

Didn't we just have one? It's ridiculous that they forced this version of the law through the House of Commons while it would not have been applicable to the person who brought their case to the Supreme Court. I still haven't figured out why the Liberals are doing this -- who is so against people who feel they have no quality of life (but aren't necessarily close to death) having access to assisted dying? What constituency are they courting with their idiotic stance?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 9, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PT6A posted:

Didn't we just have one? It's ridiculous that they forced this version of the law through the House of Commons while it would not have been applicable to the person who brought their case to the Supreme Court. I still haven't figured out why the Liberals are doing this -- who is so against people who feel they have no quality of life (but aren't necessarily close to death) having access to assisted dying? What constituency are they courting with their idiotic stance?

Yup. IANAL but:

quote:

The appeal should be allowed. Section 241 (b) and s. 14 of the Criminal Code unjustifiably infringe s. 7 of the Charter and are of no force or effect to the extent that they prohibit physician-assisted death for a competent adult person who (1) clearly consents to the termination of life and (2) has a grievous and irremediable medical condition (including an illness, disease or disability) that causes enduring suffering that is intolerable to the individual in the circumstances of his or her condition.

Definitely does not match up with "reasonably foreseable death"

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Can we euthanize that paraplegic Tory shithead mp

To set an example

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I know that this discussion is from the last page, but here's our local transport/infrastructure budget fiasco:

Halifax harbour bridge renewal/the big lift

tldr: Over budget by 2 million, or less than 1% at this time. The fuckers!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Death is certain. All deaths are reasonably foreseeable. I can't find a part of the text that says that the death needs to be caused by the disease.

Relevant text:

quote:

(1) A person may receive medical assistance in dying only if they meet all of the following criteria:
(a) they are eligible — or, but for any applicable minimum period of residence or waiting period, would be eligible — for health services funded by a government in Canada;
(b) they are at least 18 years of age and capable of making decisions with respect to their health;
(c) they have a grievous and irremediable medical condition;
(d) they have made a voluntary request for medical assistance in dying that, in particular, was not made as a result of external pressure; and
(e) they give informed consent to receive medical assistance in dying.

(2) A person has a grievous and irremediable medical condition only if they meet all of the following criteria:
(a) they have a serious and incurable illness, disease or disability;
(b) they are in an advanced state of irreversible decline in capability;
(c) that illness, disease or disability or that state of decline causes them enduring physical or psychological suffering that is intolerable to them and that cannot be relieved under conditions that they consider acceptable; and
(d) their natural death has become reasonably foreseeable, taking into account all of their medical circumstances, without a prognosis necessarily having been made as to the specific length of time that they have remaining.

I find (2)(b) to be the most objectionable part. You have to wait for the disease to be in an advanced state? So Alzheimer patients have to endure the suffering until it becomes "advanced" before they can die. Also, how long does the consent for (1)(e) stay valid? If I am diagnosed with Alzheimer's and sign on "Yup, kill me ASAP", does that consent last until I'm delirious and say "No, don't kill me!"?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

As far as I can tell, they are concerned that people with severe PTSD, or spinal cord injury, or whatever could opt to die if they felt their suffering was intolerable, because such people are uniquely "vulnerable" for some unstated reason and we can't treat them as we would any other adult.

I mean, if you have such bad PTSD that you honestly think dying would be a preferable alternative after exhausting other possibilities for treatment, who is the government to say you MUST continue to live? Likewise, although many people with physical disabilities live fulfilling lives, if you honestly would prefer to die and you make the choice to do so rationally, why should the government tell you you can't? At most, we'd need a waiting period after something like that, to make sure you actually want to go through with it after sober consideration.

It's not like the alternative is some sort of walk-in clinic where they take your name and next-of-kin and assist your death in under 10 minutes (or it's free!) or something.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 18, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

As far as I can tell, they are concerned that people with severe PTSD, or spinal cord injury, or whatever could opt to die if they felt their suffering was intolerable, because such people are uniquely "vulnerable" for some unstated reason and we can't treat them as we would any other adult.

I mean, if you have such bad PTSD that you honestly think dying would be a preferable alternative after exhausting other possibilities for treatment, who is the government to say you MUST continue to live? Likewise, although many people with physical disabilities live fulfilling lives, if you honestly would prefer to die and you make the choice to do so rationally, why should the government tell you you can't? At most, we'd need a waiting period after something like that, to make sure you actually want to go through with it after sober consideration.

It's not like the alternative is some sort of walk-in clinic where they take your name and next-of-kin and assist your death in under 10 minutes (or it's free!) or something.

We're basically one step away from Futurama suicide booths.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

vyelkin posted:

We're basically one step away from Futurama suicide booths.

The solution is obvious. We must construct some sort of Near Death Star to house our tormented souls until they qualify.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

quote:

In January, he noted that it is “very difficult” for a youth to buy booze in Ontario.

“You’re going to come up against a government employee who’s got regulations to enforce and is going to ask for identification and if a person’s underage, they’re not going to be able to buy that,” said Blair.

“And that’s a far better way to regulate access (to marijuana) for kids than leaving it up to some criminal in a stairwell. Frankly, in most urban centres across this country, it is far easier for a kid, an underaged youth, to acquire marijuana than it is to acquire alcohol.”

Was Bill Blair grown in a jar and released directly into society at middle age or something?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

Was Bill Blair grown in a jar and released directly into society at middle age or something?

When I was in high school it was absolutely easier to buy marijuana than alcohol.

Not saying that getting alcohol was difficult, but getting weed was dead easy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I think people found it a lot easier to keep some baggies in their backpack than a bunch of 40s.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Buying booze was difficult enough that you couldn't count on having enough every weekend.

It was more like coke or mushrooms. You almost certainly would have some but every so often your weekend plans would be disrupted.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
stop sending our CF to war and they stop getting PTSD

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

When I was in high school it was absolutely easier to buy marijuana than alcohol.

Not saying that getting alcohol was difficult, but getting weed was dead easy.

I had a pretty hard time finding alcohol to drink regularly but weed was literally as easy as going to the smoking pit and shouting "who has weed?"

namaste faggots posted:

this will happen even without sending people to war fyi

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Weed was easy to find because of weedtrepeneurs. These business minded people would sell their half ounce to betas for a bit of profit to smoke themselves for free.

High school drug dealers are some the most successful people, look at Doug Ford.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Alcohol is easy to find in senior high because there's people old enough to buy it, as are cigarettes. Junior high is where weed was way, way easier to find than booze or smokes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Alcohol is easy to find in senior high because there's people old enough to buy it, as are cigarettes. Junior high is where weed was way, way easier to find than booze or smokes.

Not anymore in Ontario.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

They'd have to stop the on-base sexual assaults too, I think.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Not anymore in Ontario.

Yes and no. There aren't as many 19 year olds as 18 year olds, but they're still there (conversely, there are very few 18-year-olds in jr. high). Also, by the time you're in high school, chances are good you have a part-time job where you work with people old enough to buy those things, and with poor enough judgement to not give a gently caress.

Still, weed is waaay easier to get than booze and smokes in either case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

They'd have to stop the on-base sexual assaults too, I think.

That's therapy for our good old boys