Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You can 3D touch the keyboard to turn it into a trackpad to drag the cursor around when you're trying to insert text somewhere. It's amazing and I always miss it when I'm typing on my ipad. It's basically the only thing I ever use 3d touch for, but I'd hate to not have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

You can 3D touch the keyboard to turn it into a trackpad to drag the cursor around when you're trying to insert text somewhere. It's amazing and I always miss it when I'm typing on my ipad. It's basically the only thing I ever use 3d touch for, but I'd hate to not have it.

This is the one useful thing I love about 3D Touch, but outside of that, it's just very gimmicky and not that great. I'd even go as far as to say it's counter intuitive to throw something that requires force on a device that has rose to popularity by not having anything deal with force.

Nysven
Apr 15, 2005
You got a good sarsaparilla?

The Lord Bude posted:

Two fingers on the iPad keyboard gives you a cursor too. 3D touch is a bit smoother, with the whole additional pressure to select text.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I switched from a 6S to an SE and don't really miss 3D touch, though I did use it quite a bit when I had it. It's not immediately obvious how it's useful, but it makes a lot of sense in-hand. That said it's more nice-to-have than must-have.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Nysven posted:

Two fingers on the iPad keyboard gives you a cursor too.

:aaaaa:

I had no idea.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I had to fill out a form for college a few days ago and just opened it with Notability, and filled it out with the Apple Pencil and emailed it back as a PDF. I thought that was neat as hell. Combined with the Smart Keyboard and Pencil, the 12.9" Pro is probably the first electronic device I've ever been totally crazy over.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to force Kindle on the ipad pro not to read a book as a textbook?

I bought a book and for some reason it's being read in textbook mode where like even if I turn it to landscape it's still just one page and looks really bad, I want it to just display like a normal kindle book.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

What features have been less useful than 3D Touch?

Parallax effect introduced in iOS 7

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

Parallax effect introduced in iOS 7

Maybe one day they'll give us more than those 7 dynamic wallpapers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nysven posted:

Two fingers on the iPad keyboard gives you a cursor too. 3D touch is a bit smoother, with the whole additional pressure to select text.
If you have a text field open it works directly on there too, I guess so you can still do it with a hardware keyboard.

If nothing else I'd want it as a right click to bring up menus immediately instead of tap-hold.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nysven posted:

Two fingers on the iPad keyboard gives you a cursor too. .

Oh my god

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Stefan Prodan posted:

Is there a way to force Kindle on the ipad pro not to read a book as a textbook?

I bought a book and for some reason it's being read in textbook mode where like even if I turn it to landscape it's still just one page and looks really bad, I want it to just display like a normal kindle book.

Is it a pdf or something? I've never seen this before.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Shouldn't be, but the book itself is one of those like large-page books IRL, like a For Dummies book (that isn't what it is but you get the idea)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Stefan Prodan posted:

Shouldn't be, but the book itself is one of those like large-page books IRL, like a For Dummies book (that isn't what it is but you get the idea)

Did you buy it or torrent a file? Because either you're missing a setting someplace or the formatting is completely hosed up, both of which are possible.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Bought it from Amazon kindle store

Weedle
May 31, 2006

What book is it?

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Nysven posted:

Two fingers on the iPad keyboard gives you a cursor too.

:raise:

This poo poo needs to go in the OP.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Nysven posted:

Mind Blown.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Guys that was like a big point when they introduced iOS 9 how the poo poo do you not know about it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Guys that was like a big point when they introduced iOS 9 how the poo poo do you not know about it.

They didn't really make a big deal about the 2 fingers on the iPad doing that. They talked up the 3D touch method.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Stefan Prodan posted:

Bought it from Amazon kindle store

I haven't found a way, but am very interested in accomplishing the opposite with some reference materials.

Actually, I just checked and all my books are showing up in that mode now. Looks like it might be an interface update and not a setting you're missing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

GutBomb posted:

They didn't really make a big deal about the 2 fingers on the iPad doing that. They talked up the 3D touch method.
It was shown at WWDC last year, 3D touch/iPhone 6S didn't exist back then.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
iPad noobs, check this out. Grasp your iPad in portrait (or landscape, live wild brothers and sisters), bring up the keyboard, place both thumbs down and drag them apart.

Also, hold down on the hide keyboard button in the bottom right sometime.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Weedle posted:

What book is it?

https://www.amazon.com/Flip-Find-Sell-Houses-Profit-ebook/dp/B00AYDLWL4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466436156&sr=8-2&keywords=flip+houses

Weedle
May 31, 2006

"[Print Replica]" in the title on the Amazon page indicates that the text cannot be resized or reflowed like a regular Kindle book.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ah okay I'd never seen that before

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Whoa, me neither. I wish the publisher would let you choose.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Whoa, me neither. I wish the publisher would let you choose.

The print replica format is typically used for books that employ complex layouts that need to be preserved and could turn into a total mess at the wrong font size. It's unfortunately the only way for the publisher to ensure that the book will look right for everyone.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Weedle posted:

The print replica format is typically used for books that employ complex layouts that need to be preserved and could turn into a total mess at the wrong font size. It's unfortunately the only way for the publisher to ensure that the book will look right for everyone.

I understand that, honestly. At the same time, allowing a switchable view would allow you to take advantage of both complex and simple layouts within the same volume.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Googling I have seen reports of this on other idevices, but my iPad Pro has yellow dots on the screen and little yellow bars on the bottom corners, more noticeable after it has been on for 10 minutes. I read that they disappear with time but mine haven't...I bought it a month ago. What are my chances being able to exchange it for a new one? I don't want to have paid full price only to get a refurbished one. I should have taken it back within the 14 days but I was hoping they would have gone away like I had read.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rio posted:

Googling I have seen reports of this on other idevices, but my iPad Pro has yellow dots on the screen and little yellow bars on the bottom corners, more noticeable after it has been on for 10 minutes. I read that they disappear with time but mine haven't...I bought it a month ago. What are my chances being able to exchange it for a new one? I don't want to have paid full price only to get a refurbished one. I should have taken it back within the 14 days but I was hoping they would have gone away like I had read.

Even without AppleCare, you're still under the full hardware warranty. Take it in.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Yes but he will get a remanufactured one and not a retail new one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FWIW they're not selling refurbs yet, so the supply chain might still be shallow on warranty replacements.

I mean, what's better: having a "new" iPad Pro with a hosed up screen or having a refurbished iPad Pro with a good screen?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Refurb ipads are indistinguishable. The only way to tell is to look at the box it comes in.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Since my main work program (Scrivener, I'm a writer and publisher) is finally coming to IOS in July, I'm thinking of picking up an iPad finally (9.7 inch) and using that as my coffee shop writing kit.

My question is, is there a solid program so I can edit a document with the pencil, just like if it was paper? That would streamline my editing process and safe me a TON of paper. If there is, I'd grab a pro (9.7 inch) If not, and it still feels gimmicky I may just get an Air 2...

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Notability

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Yes but he will get a remanufactured one and not a retail new one.

So? It still has the same warranty, and if he has AppleCare it will transfer over to the replacement.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LionArcher posted:

Since my main work program (Scrivener, I'm a writer and publisher) is finally coming to IOS in July, I'm thinking of picking up an iPad finally (9.7 inch) and using that as my coffee shop writing kit.

My question is, is there a solid program so I can edit a document with the pencil, just like if it was paper? That would streamline my editing process and safe me a TON of paper. If there is, I'd grab a pro (9.7 inch) If not, and it still feels gimmicky I may just get an Air 2...

Print your documents as PDF files and then use PDF Expert for your annotation and edit notes. And it works great with the Apple Pencil.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

So? It still has the same warranty, and if he has AppleCare it will transfer over to the replacement.

He specifically said he didn't want to pay full price to end up with a refurbished one. I'm not disagreeing and saying the refurbished ones are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

He specifically said he didn't want to pay full price to end up with a refurbished one. I'm not disagreeing and saying the refurbished ones are bad.
Like I said, he might not, the alternative is keeping a "new" one with a busted display.