Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Brought To You By posted:

The point is she picked the socially altruistic reason. Sure people can do this but for her character she always seems to be going for this route instead of thinking purely for her own interests. She was just equated to Mother Theresa so it's just hammering home that point.

At the same time, she doesn't need to ever think about her own interests. Were she to suddenly live in abject poverty and hated by everyone, well, she would still be impervious to the elements, invulnerable to pretty much all forms of attacks that could reasonably be tried against her, and even if she's still vulnerable to things such as starvation or asphyxia she could still grab food by force or break through any sort of confinement. You can't threaten her.

Or rather, the only way to threaten her is to threaten other people that she cares about : she's invulnerable, but you could put her boyfriend in a fridge or something. So turn out that the only way in which she needs to think of her own interests is still in thinking about other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

...so, the obvious question is how this guy (does he have a name? Lkeven?) has a very nice bottle of wine back at his place. His place, the building that burnt down. He either had some very bad priorities when rebuying his worldly possessions, somehow managed to salvage a bottle from the fire, or actually wasn't living in that building and may be some kind of disaster chaser.

Of course, that last one is pretty crazy and the focus is probably going to be on saying that you shouldn't go home drinking with someone else or something like that.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I dunno, if I knew that one of the most famous people in the world might call me for a date any day now, I would prioritize getting a bottle of wine just in case.

Although I'm kind of unclear how much time has passed since that fire. He may have gotten an insurance payout by now. Or failing that, he showed up dressed sharply enough that he might just be wealthy enough to bounce back from this without any real trouble.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

At the same time, she doesn't need to ever think about her own interests. Were she to suddenly live in abject poverty and hated by everyone, well, she would still be impervious to the elements, invulnerable to pretty much all forms of attacks that could reasonably be tried against her, and even if she's still vulnerable to things such as starvation or asphyxia she could still grab food by force or break through any sort of confinement. You can't threaten her.

Or rather, the only way to threaten her is to threaten other people that she cares about : she's invulnerable, but you could put her boyfriend in a fridge or something. So turn out that the only way in which she needs to think of her own interests is still in thinking about other people.

If you threaten the people she cares about there's nothing stopping her from dismantling entire nation states in response. The whole point of this comic is that there are no external constraints on her behavior. The US Department of Whatever that monitors anomalies basically exists to monitor her and keep her happy and there's probably an entire branch of the military or Secret Service or whatever devoted to secretly protecting her family.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Presumably the government could convince a teleporter to grab her when she falls asleep eventually and drop her off on mars or someplace if she just starts murdering people.

Galvanik fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 8, 2016

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Middle School sounds about right. And It's not her fault she's had the mentality to help others drilled into her head, it just means that her current thought process doesn't allow her to focus on her own situation and instead always throw herself into other peoples.

Yeah, it was late middle school/early high school. And don't forget that after getting her powers, she was almost immediately drafted into a superhero team. She then spent five or so years saving the world from really dramatically bad things.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Wittgen posted:

Yeah, it was late middle school/early high school. And don't forget that after getting her powers, she was almost immediately drafted into a superhero team. She then spent five or so years saving the world from really dramatically bad things.

Plus her dad was a social worker. Remember the scene where she's a kid in the park with her parents, and her dad says "oops, wait, there's a homeless man, I have to go help him" ?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

If you threaten the people she cares about there's nothing stopping her from dismantling entire nation states in response. The whole point of this comic is that there are no external constraints on her behavior. The US Department of Whatever that monitors anomalies basically exists to monitor her and keep her happy and there's probably an entire branch of the military or Secret Service or whatever devoted to secretly protecting her family.

I didn't think about that. That's a new vector to turn this comic into Injustice. I thought Mary told Alison off about her privilege in the last chapter, but I feel it got swept under the rug because Alison is the designated hero. Or did I just fever-dream that?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I didn't think about that. That's a new vector to turn this comic into Injustice. I thought Mary told Alison off about her privilege in the last chapter, but I feel it got swept under the rug because Alison is the designated hero. Or did I just fever-dream that?

It didn't get swept under the rug, really. Alison dealing or failing to deal with her privilege is a recurring theme. I think what you were thrown off by is that the previous chapter was so utterly lacking in narrative structure that it didn't really have a climax. It just kind of trailed off, so none of the things it was saying had any real impact.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That is not what a pyramid scheme is.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
No Allison, I don't care if he's a hunk, people who blithely dismiss academia and subjective studies are subhuman trash :ohdear:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's not even standard interdisciplinary poo poo-talking, you could apply that to any field.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's not even standard interdisciplinary poo poo-talking, you could apply that to any field.

Makes me wonder if he is studying (or has studied) a STEM discipline, it's a pretty common thing for people studying the sciences/engineering to be pretty dismissive of all other fields, especially the liberal arts. Software Engineers in particular love to do this for some reason. It's dumb and common to the point that it's a cliche but the liberal arts do usually get the brunt of it. It's definitely something that happens a lot.

People in the arts however are usually much more open minded about other disciplines. That is my experience anyways as a double major who has had a lot of exposure to people in both.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 15, 2016

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

Makes me wonder if he is studying (or has studied) a STEM discipline, it's a pretty common thing for people studying the sciences/engineering to be pretty dismissive of all other fields, especially the liberal arts. Software Engineers in particular love to do this for some reason. It's dumb and common to the point that it's a cliche but the liberal arts do usually get the brunt of it. It's definitely something that happens a lot.

People in the arts however are usually much more open minded about other disciplines. That is my experience anyways as a double major who has had a lot of exposure to people in both.

I don't know, this is something I hear online a bunch, but I've had the opposite experience in college. I majored in Computer Science but I took a lot of literature and history classes for fun, and I was surprised to find that about half the people in some of the more advanced classes were also majoring in STEM fields. On the other hand I encountered a lot of non-STEM majors who dismissed even any mention of taking a STEM course. They didn't really want to think about it at all, while most of my CS peers were more into having a balanced life. I bet it's not that black and white, but it was way harder to find a history major in a math class than to find a math major in a history class.

I mean, to be good at software engineering you have to have a wide variety of non-STEM skill sets like communicating clearly with your team, expressing abstract concepts in an understandable manner, and good reading comprehension. There are whole books on how to structure and comment on your code so that people can understand what it does. Writing a good program has many parallels with writing a good story.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

JuniperCake posted:

That could be it, though it's also possible he's simply flattering the ego of the girl he's on a date with.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It's telling that she assumes the professor could only pick her arguments apart because he laid a trap, like he's some kind of villain. Dude's a philosophy professor. Picking apart arguments is his bread and butter. He doesn't need to lay a trap or be at all malicious in order to rip apart Alison's simplistic understanding of right and wrong. I wonder if Alison will at some point learn from the learning experiences her teacher is giving her.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

It doesn't take malice to destroy an argument in a philosophy class, you're right. I'd argue that it does take malice to fail someone on the first day of classes, though.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Falstaff posted:

It doesn't take malice to destroy an argument in a philosophy class, you're right. I'd argue that it does take malice to fail someone on the first day of classes, though.

But nobody actually failed as far as we know. He was just digging in the knife which would be the malicious part. It could also just be him making sure she takes something from the exchange. I don't honestly think this professor is going to be the bad guy, just the mirror that allows Allison to re-evaluate her beliefs and world views.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It is extremely odd and lovely that Alison didn't turn around and go "wait, are you actually serious?" when Gurwara told her she had an F in the class. The only reason she didn't talk to him about it further was, what, because it was the end of the page?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Allison has no sense of humor when it comes to her moral outlook. Actually I don't think she has a sense of humor period :shrug:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

UnfurledSails posted:

I don't know, this is something I hear online a bunch, but I've had the opposite experience in college. I majored in Computer Science but I took a lot of literature and history classes for fun, and I was surprised to find that about half the people in some of the more advanced classes were also majoring in STEM fields. On the other hand I encountered a lot of non-STEM majors who dismissed even any mention of taking a STEM course. They didn't really want to think about it at all, while most of my CS peers were more into having a balanced life. I bet it's not that black and white, but it was way harder to find a history major in a math class than to find a math major in a history class.

I mean, to be good at software engineering you have to have a wide variety of non-STEM skill sets like communicating clearly with your team, expressing abstract concepts in an understandable manner, and good reading comprehension. There are whole books on how to structure and comment on your code so that people can understand what it does. Writing a good program has many parallels with writing a good story.

I've seen both, probably because the internet gives them both a megaphone. You have the STEM superiority kids who wind up on places like Reddit talking about Ayn Rand, and you have the Liberal Arts kids who post image macros about the superiority of reading (fiction) and how they're still waiting to find out how algebra will be useful to them.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
You're going to college and you can't toss out a paraphrase of

"A society in which men recognize no check on their freedom soon becomes a society where freedom is the possession of only a savage few — as we have learned to our sorrow." -Learned Hand

or something of equivalent meaning? C'mon. You know Cleaver! He'd be one of the savage few :v:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So this guy is a libertarian? She has the worst friends.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Air is lava! posted:

So this guy is a libertarian? She has the worst friends.

This date is loaded with warning signs. Do not date this guy, Alison. Libertarians like him suck!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

rotinaj posted:

This date is loaded with warning signs. Do not date this guy, Alison. Libertarians like him suck!

The more I think about it, the more I dislike this character. He's the sort of person who heard a few weeks of economy 101, convinced himself that sociopolitical problems are actually really simple and that everything would just work out if anyone was ever courageous and uncorrupt enough to try his ideas. And now he's dismissive of any notion that the world might actually be more complex than his little worldview allows.

I really hate people like this! Removing regulations or laws isn't some bold new concept nobody ever thought about. It's undoing social development! Those regulations didn't just appear someday. There were long and hard fights until people managed to set them up in order to give their next generations a better life. Do they really think that the free market would punish child labor if it technically wasn't illegal anymore? It sure didn't do that in the past.

Sorry about that little rant.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I heard something once along the lines of "true freedom is a man alone in the desert; anything else requires compromise." but I can't recall where and Google isn't helping. Anyone happen to know where that's from?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Bruceski posted:

I heard something once along the lines of "true freedom is a man alone in the desert; anything else requires compromise." but I can't recall where and Google isn't helping. Anyone happen to know where that's from?

A truly free man wouldn't ask for help.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Air is lava! posted:

The more I think about it, the more I dislike this character. He's the sort of person who heard a few weeks of economy 101, convinced himself that sociopolitical problems are actually really simple and that everything would just work out if anyone was ever courageous and uncorrupt enough to try his ideas. And now he's dismissive of any notion that the world might actually be more complex than his little worldview allows.

I really hate people like this! Removing regulations or laws isn't some bold new concept nobody ever thought about. It's undoing social development! Those regulations didn't just appear someday. There were long and hard fights until people managed to set them up in order to give their next generations a better life. Do they really think that the free market would punish child labor if it technically wasn't illegal anymore? It sure didn't do that in the past.

Sorry about that little rant.

Not empty quoting.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What an intensely weird date.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I like the attempt at sexy eyes in panel 2. That being said this date "We're all connected"? I have never seen a hippy in a sports jacket.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

rotinaj posted:

What an intensely weird date.

How was it weird. Seems to me they spent time wandering around the city, doing fun stuff and talking.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Wittgen posted:

How was it weird. Seems to me they spent time wandering around the city, doing fun stuff and talking.

EXACTLY.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

I like the attempt at sexy eyes in panel 2. That being said this date "We're all connected"? I have never seen a hippy in a sports jacket.

She played off of his philosophical statement from last page by referencing freedom, and then he returned the favor by referencing hers (which was about everyone being connected).

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wittgen posted:

For a certain value of fun.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

rotinaj posted:

For a certain value of fun.

Farmer's market, art museum, dinner, and a walk through a park with a view of the sunset. These all seem like perfectly normal things that lots of people find fun. I'm asking this seriously. What are you getting at?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wittgen posted:

Farmer's market, art museum, dinner, and a walk through a park with a view of the sunset. These all seem like perfectly normal things that lots of people find fun. I'm asking this seriously. What are you getting at?

Mostly my feelings on the awkward, stilted dialogue. Now that it's not six AM, I agree that the substance of the date was less weird than I first thought, and it's just me thinking that this guy seems odd. But also, why don't you freak the gently caress out a little more over some casual criticism of this comic? Chill, dude. drat.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's pretty easy to get tired of goons doing that thing where it becomes cool to dislike a thing so they try to find things to bitch about every aspect of that thing even if they don't understand what they're talking about. It happens with like almost everything.

There's plenty of things to complain about in the comic without having to advertise the fact that you've never been on a date before.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Just wait for it. Suave McSmooth will gently caress up. It's only a matter of time.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Mostly my feelings on the awkward, stilted dialogue. Now that it's not six AM, I agree that the substance of the date was less weird than I first thought, and it's just me thinking that this guy seems odd. But also, why don't you freak the gently caress out a little more over some casual criticism of this comic? Chill, dude. drat.

Yup. I sure am freaking the gently caress out. I asked what you thought was weird. You didn't answer , so I asked again to make clear that I really did want to know what you were getting at. What a meltdown.

ChairMaster posted:

It's pretty easy to get tired of goons doing that thing where it becomes cool to dislike a thing so they try to find things to bitch about every aspect of that thing even if they don't understand what they're talking about. It happens with like almost everything.

There's plenty of things to complain about in the comic without having to advertise the fact that you've never been on a date before.

Well said. It's like some people think that if they've classified something as bad, they can say anything bad about it at all and it will make sense. It's exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Wittgen posted:

Yup. I sure am freaking the gently caress out. I asked what you thought was weird. You didn't answer , so I asked again to make clear that I really did want to know what you were getting at. What a meltdown.

lol now you are Mad

• Locked thread