Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Nierbo posted:

Ah that gave me a good laugh. Keep em comin!

You think I'm joking but I sell more Lumia 532s than any other phone put together (all our phones are at a similar price point, or maybe 50 dollars more). At that end of the market android sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

You think I'm joking but I sell more Lumia 532s than any other phone put together (all our phones are at a similar price point, or maybe 50 dollars more). At that end of the market android sucks.

You're not in the US I guess? I've seen maybe 5 WPhones in the wild in the last 5 years or so.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mr Funkface posted:

You're not in the US I guess? I've seen maybe 5 WPhones in the wild in the last 5 years or so.

I'm in Australia. For the same price as a 532 you can buy android phones running 4.x or I think we even have some dusty boxes with phones running 2.x. Even our 'best' phones are cheap and Nasty looking things that will likely never see an OS upgrade. People who want to spend less than around $200 on a phone have cottoned on to the fact that they can buy a Lumia, and while it might not have all the apps, it does the basics of a smartphone better than the cheap androids.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm in Australia. For the same price as a 532 you can buy android phones running 4.x or I think we even have some dusty boxes with phones running 2.x. Even our 'best' phones are cheap and Nasty looking things that will likely never see an OS upgrade. People who want to spend less than around $200 on a phone have cottoned on to the fact that they can buy a Lumia, and while it might not have all the apps, it does the basics of a smartphone better than the cheap androids.

That used to be true in the U.S. as well, but hasn't been for a couple years. Moto E and Moto G are unreservedly great for the price (Moto E 2015 has been $10-$30 new multiple times the last year!), and Nexus 5X is available for $200 or slightly more. Then sub-$200 (USD) phones from Chinese manufacturers like Huawei can actually be good these days. Then there's almost-flagships with serious drawbacks like OnePlus or Asus's stuff which are still $200-250 and not really recommended but spec warriors like them. Windows firmly lost the low end battle here, after that brief period where a Lumia 520 was the king of cheap phones. Most cheap Androids are still garbage of course, but there are good cheap options too.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Aw man I lived in AUS for a year back in 2002/2003 and had some bullshit Telstar or whatever bar of soap with jelly buttons and single line of LCD blocky text - even then you guys were way behind on phone tech. It survived a dunk in a pool though. Worst phone I ever had.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
BREAKING NEWS: Bank of America has released their Windows 10 Mobile app! The platform is not dead!

http://www.windowscentral.com/bank-america-gems

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 9, 2016

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

That used to be true in the U.S. as well, but hasn't been for a couple years. Moto E and Moto G are unreservedly great for the price (Moto E 2015 has been $10-$30 new multiple times the last year!), and Nexus 5X is available for $200 or slightly more. Then sub-$200 (USD) phones from Chinese manufacturers like Huawei can actually be good these days. Then there's almost-flagships with serious drawbacks like OnePlus or Asus's stuff which are still $200-250 and not really recommended but spec warriors like them. Windows firmly lost the low end battle here, after that brief period where a Lumia 520 was the king of cheap phones. Most cheap Androids are still garbage of course, but there are good cheap options too.

See part of the problem here is that all three of those phones are hard to get hold of here - a few places have the 5X, or you can buy it directly from Google, but it costs $600. The moto G costs around 320, and the Moto E around 200, but Motorola has zero presence here, it is almost impossible to get either of them without going weird online retailers that do grey market sales. Certainly for the average person they might as well not exist. That leaves lovely phones made specifically for a given carrier, bottom of the barrel Samsung phone #58272, or the cheapest crap from zte/Alcatel/ maybe huawei. The 'best' phone we specifically sell is the zte blade 4G which costs about 150.

Alternatively, a Lumia 535 is $79, as was the 532, 530 and 520 before. You can frequently get a 535 or 532 for as little as 29 dollars on sale. A 640 is around $150, and you can get a 550 for $200.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Yet more good BREAKING news!

http://techcrunch.com/2016/06/13/microsoft-to-buy-linkedin-for-26b-in-cash-makes-big-move-into-enterprise-social-media/

LinkedIn, the usecase-less network, bought by MS, who can't seem to settle on any usecase.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mr Funkface posted:

Yet more good BREAKING news!

http://techcrunch.com/2016/06/13/microsoft-to-buy-linkedin-for-26b-in-cash-makes-big-move-into-enterprise-social-media/

LinkedIn, the usecase-less network, bought by MS, who can't seem to settle on any usecase.
Wait, why is Linkedin usecaseless? Where Im from it's pretty much the best job site and has a fairly active professional usebase(in my area of expertise).
It's a pretty okay move for an ms that wants to focus on businesses.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Darth TNT posted:

Wait, why is Linkedin usecaseless? Where Im from it's pretty much the best job site and has a fairly active professional usebase(in my area of expertise).
It's a pretty okay move for an ms that wants to focus on businesses.

Once they had stated that they would tie Office and Outlook into LinkedIn, I had a small dream that they would tie in a micro payment system for freelance professionals on there. Take a cut for processing, but leverage those connections and recommendations and turn it into a profit center for everyone.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Since I mentioned it a page or two back, Podcast+ Pro has updated with a Windows 10 app for desktop as well as phone, and it seems faster than the old app, so that's cool.

On an unrelated note, Glance and brightness have been completely broken in the past few Insider builds for me - brightness is set to max constantly and Glance just doesn't work full stop. Anyone else have this?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I have noticed Glance not appearing to work, brightness works fine though.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So my mom's 635 died suddenly and it's still on the 2-year warranty so the carrier is offering her a replacement. How is the 550? Looks way better than the 635 and she only has to pay 10€ for the upgrade instead of getting another old rear end one. The 640 isn't an option and while she could get another phone, the 550 they're offering her is sim free (or unlocked, I don't know how you guys call them when it's basically a non-carrier phone).

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I have noticed Glance not appearing to work, brightness works fine though.

It's working in 14367, but it was switched off in the update (at least for me anyway, I had it on before it). Check and see if it's off and if so, turn it back on.

EDIT:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

On an unrelated note, Glance and brightness have been completely broken in the past few Insider builds for me - brightness is set to max constantly and Glance just doesn't work full stop. Anyone else have this?

Same with adaptive brightness. It was turned off for me as well, so check in settings and see if it's on. It's working for me again once I turned it back on.

If nothing else, it'll be fixed when the next flights to the fast ring go out :shrug:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 16, 2016

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I had to uninstall the old Glance app in order to get it to work on my phone, didn't mind because the app had been broken for me for quite some time.

As for brightness, it's a bit random on my phone. Occasionally it'll be set to low when turning on the screen, then after turning off the screen and turning it back on again it'll be on fullbright, despite being in the exact same lighting conditions.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Turns out Glance was off and flipping auto brightness from on to off and back again seems to have done something, so thanks for the advice!

Edit: I can favorite some photos in the photo app but not others, is there a reason for that? I want to set a bunch of favourites for the live tile.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 17, 2016

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

quote:

After taking a look at the overall usage of the Kids Corner feature in Windows 10 Mobile and Windows Phone 8.1, we have decided to remove this feature from Windows 10 Mobile beginning with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. The usage of Kids Corner was too low to justify continued development and support of the feature.
Read more at https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...HHEGZxJItyM2.99

I mean, I didn't use it, so whatever, but it's just funny to consider how many features which were demoed by high level people on stage, which are now in the trash.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I think that was also Joe "totally just on a nice vacation, guys" Belfiore's signature WP feature.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

I mean, I didn't use it, so whatever, but it's just funny to consider how many features which were demoed by high level people on stage, which are now in the trash.

I use it, so that sucks. I used rooms, so that sucked. My 640XL restarts during phone calls and the awful app doesn't launch. Facebook and twitter are a joke on Windows Phone. I'm having a hard time justifying not buying an S7.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

wookieepelt posted:

I use it, so that sucks. I used rooms, so that sucked. My 640XL restarts during phone calls and the awful app doesn't launch. Facebook and twitter are a joke on Windows Phone. I'm having a hard time justifying not buying an S7.

If you're going to drop that amount of money just don't get a samsung. They love to put so much poo poo on their OS and delay updates. Just get a nexus phone, it's the general advice you'll get on android threads.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Guillermus posted:

Just get a nexus phone, it's the general advice you'll get on android threads.

:agreed:

My sister upgraded from a 520 (of all things) to some lower-end Samsung and said the OS is so crap with the Samsung bloatware it made 8.1 on the 520 look good. Go for a Nexus.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

wookieepelt posted:

I'm having a hard time justifying not buying an S7.

The Lord Bude posted:

Do what I did and upgrade your way into an iPhone.

:)

For the chat portion of Rooms, WhatsApp is an acceptable replacement.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Guillermus posted:

If you're going to drop that amount of money just don't get a samsung. They love to put so much poo poo on their OS and delay updates. Just get a nexus phone, it's the general advice you'll get on android threads.

Can the bloatware not be removed? Also, what about the HTC One? it looks pretty rad, but some of the reviews said it didn't compare to the Galaxy series. I guess the bottom line is that a Nexus isn't slick like the Samsung phones, and Samsung pay is neat. Although delaying updates is stupid and seems like a way to make people pay for the new features by buying a new phone. I'll look more into Nexus, it wasn't even on my radar as a potential replacement. The 950 is on my list, but I figure if I get a newer Windows phone I might as well wait and see where the OS is at if/when the Surface Phone is released.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

wookieepelt posted:

Can the bloatware not be removed? Also, what about the HTC One? it looks pretty rad, but some of the reviews said it didn't compare to the Galaxy series. I guess the bottom line is that a Nexus isn't slick like the Samsung phones, and Samsung pay is neat. Although delaying updates is stupid and seems like a way to make people pay for the new features by buying a new phone. I'll look more into Nexus, it wasn't even on my radar as a potential replacement. The 950 is on my list, but I figure if I get a newer Windows phone I might as well wait and see where the OS is at if/when the Surface Phone is released.

Check out the Android phone thread. No, it can't really be removed. Some of it can be avoided, none of it removed. The phones themselves are solid but it's not uncommon for it to feel sluggish/slow a few months into it. Not a given, but a possibility. Slow updates are a sure thing. HTC One is a solid phone but it's not a given that HTC will be around to support the phone with updates. Nexus phones are very straightforward Android, which end up being some of the least buggy or bloated and best supported phones out there.
If you're looking for simple and WP-like, I'd say iOS nails it in terms of the structure of the OS and the general philosophy behind the underpinnings (simple, straightforward, relatively light on frills), whereas stock Android exhibits more of the flat, simple design of WP but goes hogwild on customization, features, etc.
/derail

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The Nexus 5 was the biggest piece of poo poo I ever owned. I do like my iPhone though. Even more now with Wordflow.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Is it me or has Cortana on 10 Mobile given up on flight tracking? I have a flight in the notes set up, and it'll show me info if I type "flight BA XXX" but it's not shown on the main Cortana screen. Any thoughts? Do I have to check the flight each time to get an update?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

For those on Verizon sticking with their almost 'classic' Lumia Icon we have some shows news: Verizon is set to update your phone starting tomorrow to Windows 10 Mobile. This follows the recent Windows 10 upgrade of the other Lumia gem the Lumia 735.

http://www.windowscentral.com/verizon-upgrade-lumia-icon-windows-10-mobile-june-23

:aaaaa:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
My husband's lumia icon is probably the nicest phone I've had any experience with (and I've gone through 3 flagship androids while he's had his). Tempted to pick one up to play with since we're on Verizon...

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

One of the more refreshing things with regard to WP has been the somewhat consistent updates, and less of a dependency on the specs of the device to be operable. The 635 versus the 640 was absolutely a difference, mainly in there being more RAM (though I'll give it to the W10 preview builds that it wasn't efficient at the time) and the "sound hole" on the 635 sucked nards. But even still it was completely serviceable and would be just dandy to use today. I dropped mine and shattered the screen though.

I'm still thrilled with the 640. When I run into an issue with new builds with the W10 insider, like, recently Microsoft Heath deciding to hoover up my battery, or Bluetooth audio just not working, an update to the OS seems to come by. Whenever I get frustrated with the time between those updates, I just remember the complete lack of them when I had the Nexus S and Motorola i1 on Android. Installing the various custom builds to those was also a crapshoot, and often more in the unstable direction.

There was an update last night that updated my OS, seems to have fixed the battery bullshit, updated Edge again, and managed to do so overnight without loving up my alarm so it went off and woke me up. I only knew it had restarted since the podcast app I had playing to lull me to sleep was no longer open.

The Band 2 continues to update and work somewhat better with W10M. Somehow I'm finding more apps in the app hole that I've been looking for or are interesting. Really, for a $40 phone I have little or no reason to look for buying a more expensive one right now. This is actually pretty drat good.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

:wow:

Now I just have to hope it doesn't break it since I'm about to go on a trip. What's the current status of W10 on phones? I've been ignoring it since I figured Verizon would never let me have it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've yet to get my w10 update on my at&t 640xl, and I'm damned salty about it.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
That just makes me want to hold onto my Icon even harder now. THE ICON LIVES!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I've yet to get my w10 update on my at&t 640xl, and I'm damned salty about it.

Same here. I just went the Insider route but I hate that. It should have WM10 officially by now and mine isn't even branded.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Guillermus posted:

Same here. I just went the Insider route but I hate that. It should have WM10 officially by now and mine isn't even branded.

XL got weirdly left out. I found a super cheap 950 on Swappa so I'm going to give that a whirl for a bit and see how the anniversary update feels before deciding if I want to jump ship to a Nexus phone or not.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

XL got weirdly left out. I found a super cheap 950 on Swappa so I'm going to give that a whirl for a bit and see how the anniversary update feels before deciding if I want to jump ship to a Nexus phone or not.

The 640XL is on the list of WM10 devices on Microsoft's site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-mobile-upgrade

Still, a device that should have been with WM10 months ago and other stuff is making me think on going back to android when my contract expires this September. Just need Microsoft to release wordflow on android and everything I like from WM will be on android.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Guillermus posted:

The 640XL is on the list of WM10 devices on Microsoft's site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-mobile-upgrade

Still, a device that should have been with WM10 months ago and other stuff is making me think on going back to android when my contract expires this September. Just need Microsoft to release wordflow on android and everything I like from WM will be on android.

Yeah, but lol AT&T. :(

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, but lol AT&T. :(

Weirdly, the 640 got it a few months ago :confused:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
My phone sometimes freezes when I try to adjust the brightness from the pull-down menu. Bleh.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I'm getting missing or super distorted audio a lot from alerts. It's really garbage :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Chasiubao posted:

I'm getting missing or super distorted audio a lot from alerts. It's really garbage :smith:

Mine occasionally forgets it has headphones plugged in and plays like half the text tone and then stops again. It's also really garbage, especially when I'm in a meeting, I have to remember to take the headphones out and mute the speaker volume beforehand just in case.