Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Oh man, I *really* want to know what is in that report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

swickles posted:

Basically its $40 million to Briles, or fire Briles for cause and lose all federal funding plus fines from the DoJ for wanton Title IX violations.

Yeah, this. Firing with cause would require a written report.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Neil Armbong posted:

Yeah, this. Firing with cause would require a written report.

There are still lawsuits and any number of future investigations coming. Baylor is going to pay Briles $40M and still get reamed later.

Nov 6, 2002

I agree. They must be delusional if they think they can keep it all under wraps.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

NC-17 posted:

I agree. They must be delusional if they think they can keep it all under wraps.

They're sadly doing an ace job right now.

Nov 6, 2002

Neil Armbong posted:

They're sadly doing an ace job right now.

The wheels of justice turn slowly. Litigation and investigations will come.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

NC-17 posted:

Oh man, I *really* want to know what is in that report.

There must be some horrific poo poo in there if this is the better option for them

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Ignorant question, but why couldn't you just FOIA the report? Or is that govt/public uni only?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I believe Baylor being a private institution protects them from FOIA requests? That or makes it easier to nitpick and not release things for spurious reasons, one or the other.

I think they also claim there is no written report as such, they just got verbal updates/reports from the law firm.

e: After thinking about it (not a lawyer obviously) I'm almost sure FOIA just doesn't apply to private schools/institutions.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 17, 2016

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Yeah there is supposedly no written report that names names and spells out the specifics. There is a "finding of fact" that is very damning but leaves it unclear as to who exactly did what. Apparently the firm made an oral presentation to the BOR that included a lot of those details, but they didn't want it put in writing. I'm not exactly sure what they're afraid of since they're not subject to FOIA and it sure seems like a written assessment prepared by the school's law firm would be privileged if anyone tried to make them hand it over in a lawsuit.

Settling with Briles makes sense, because right now they don't have to disclose this stuff, but if Briles sues them for breach of contract it will be hard for them to win without revealing specifics of whatever they say he was involved in. Sucks that Briles gets a big payday for being a scumbag, but why stop now I guess.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Thermos H Christ posted:

Yeah there is supposedly no written report that names names and spells out the specifics. There is a "finding of fact" that is very damning but leaves it unclear as to who exactly did what. Apparently the firm made an oral presentation to the BOR that included a lot of those details, but they didn't want it put in writing. I'm not exactly sure what they're afraid of since they're not subject to FOIA and it sure seems like a written assessment prepared by the school's law firm would be privileged if anyone tried to make them hand it over in a lawsuit.

Settling with Briles makes sense, because right now they don't have to disclose this stuff, but if Briles sues them for breach of contract it will be hard for them to win without revealing specifics of whatever they say he was involved in. Sucks that Briles gets a big payday for being a scumbag, but why stop now I guess.

They are afraid of subpoenas from the DoJ. Not having a written report and only an oral presentation allows them all to run the Alberto Gonzalez defense.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

swickles posted:

They are afraid of subpoenas from the DoJ. Not having a written report and only an oral presentation allows them all to run the Alberto Gonzalez defense.

But could the DOJ actually get it? What's the argument for it not being privileged attorney work product? I guess you could try to say it wasn't prepared "in anticipation of litigation," but that seems like a tough argument to make when the school hired an outside law firm to come in and conduct this investigation. I feel like lawyers are not who you would ordinarily hire to do that job if you weren't looking to know who has a valid case against you and what the extent of your liability/exposure will be.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Between this and seeing the caddie bibs on the PGA Tour are apparently worth $50m a year in ad revenue, I'm in the completely wrong line of work.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Is it feasible for somebody to go after Briles. I mean girlfriend just got paiiiiiid for being a poo poo heel

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

NC-17 posted:

I agree. They must be delusional

It says "Baptist" right there on the label.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Maybe if the NCAA had burned Penn State's program to the ground like they should have, Baylor might have fallen in line and made their reports public to plead for mercy.

Instead, Art Briles is gonna get a $40M buyout for recruiting rapists onto campus while sitting out a show-cause for a few years.

I hope Baylor's fancy new stadium is a loving mausoleum on gamedays for a few decades.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

skaboomizzy posted:

Maybe if the NCAA had burned Penn State's program to the ground like they should have, Baylor might have fallen in line and made their reports public to plead for mercy.

Yeah annihilating an institution for an ethics violation would absolutely make other institutions more willing to admit ethics violations great take

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sports are evil and we're all horrible people for enabling its constant rise. The sooner you realize this, the sooner the healing can begin

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Chris James 2 posted:

Sports are evil and we're all horrible people for enabling its constant rise. The sooner you realize this, the sooner the healing can begin

pretty much

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah annihilating an institution for an ethics violation would absolutely make other institutions more willing to admit ethics violations great take

Nobody admits ethics violations after a certain point when money is involved though. The guilty never come clean unless forced to.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This is a good point, but gently caress Baylor anyway.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
oh no a bunch of schools that won't self-report regardless will now strive even more to not report

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Chris James 2 posted:

This guy gets it

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
nick saban is a saint and his players are angels roll tide

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Back had to get my Boy Briles Back to Baylor it didn't quite work out so I spent a few days scrubbing a certain report and let's just say everyone's innocent Championship baby.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Which school will have the first exposed major scandal? Bama or tOSU?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Eifert Posting posted:

OSU already had one bad enough that the coach lost his job, soo

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Eifert Posting posted:

Saban will be caught feasting on failed three star recruits, school will claim that this isn't explicitly stated as an infraction in NCAA rules, fans will somehow defend him.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Can't even fire him for cause, but no there's plenty of Evidence in said report (Medi$$$a says trust us)... Well where are the two written copies that the Board gave to me? Can anyone find them?? Are they shredded or did they never exist? Baylor Bitch

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

go3 posted:

oh no a bunch of schools that won't self-report regardless will now strive even more to not report

lol at people having strong opinions about anti virus software

Nov 6, 2002

You don't remember the Symantec vs McAfee wars of the early 2000s, my friend. It was a dangerous time.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That joke works especially when you remember the Norton guy is an actual murderer

Nov 6, 2002

John McAfee is the murder suspect.

Unless Peter Norton is also a killer! That would be pretty crazy.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Uh I meant Er Norton from fight club...

Yeah...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Intruder posted:

lol at people having strong opinions about anti virus software

goons

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Is McAfee the guy who is just chilling in Honduras or Belize and doing bath salts all day?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

swickles posted:

Is McAfee the guy who is just chilling in Honduras or Belize and doing bath salts all day?

That's him!

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

McAfee also ran for the Libertarian party nomination this year. With an ad like this, I have no idea how he lost.

http://youtu.be/KAjl-Gibm8c

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

stay classy Briles

quote:

The day before the mediation session, Briles' personal attorney, Ernest Cannon, filed a motion to separate Briles from Baylor University in the Hernandez lawsuit, meaning each would be able to fight or settle the lawsuit independently. The motion contended that Briles, who had been fired May 26, was being unfairly blamed for the school's overall institutional failure to address sexual assault and that Baylor's attorneys were not working on his behalf.

After Cannon filed the motion Thursday, he called attorney Alex Zalkin and told him Briles "promised" to come to Friday's mediation session "to support Jasmin ... and help her, and to apologize to her and her family," Zalkin told Outside the Lines.

Zalkin said Hernandez was "cautiously optimistic" upon hearing the news. "She was definitely appreciative that he wanted to help and that he wanted to apologize," Zalkin said.

On Friday, Briles and Baylor reached a settlement about his firing, according to The Waco (Texas) Tribune-Herald, and Cannon withdrew the legal motion, leaving Briles to be represented by Baylor's attorneys. Neither Briles nor Cannon showed up for the mediation meeting on Friday, Zalkin said. The mediation ended without a deal, Zalkin said.

"[Briles] used the threat of helping Jasmin in her lawsuit against Baylor as leverage to negotiate his wrongful termination claim against Baylor," Zalkin said. "He doesn't care about victims. He never cared about victims. He's using victims. He used them to help build up his football program, and now he's using Jasmin to leverage more money out of Baylor."

Hernandez "was hurt. ... She was upset and she was offended," Zalkin said. He said Cannon did not offer an explanation for not showing up when reached Friday, only "that they decided not to come."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That's cartoonish level villainy :stare:

• Locked thread