Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Rexxed posted:

Since your new SSD will be a different size than the old SSD, image 7 to 10 to the SSD before you upgrade. When you upgrade 7/8 to 10 it adds a 500mb partition to the end of the disk so if you image afterwards you're stuck in hosed up partition hell.

My 256 GB 840 Pro is taking a poo poo, so I was thinking about upgrading from 7 to 10 when I install the new 500GB 850 EVO on the way (thanks, thread). What should my process be, given that I'm not confident the old drive could withstand a new OS install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Thanatosian posted:

My 256 GB 840 Pro is taking a poo poo, so I was thinking about upgrading from 7 to 10 when I install the new 500GB 850 EVO on the way (thanks, thread). What should my process be, given that I'm not confident the old drive could withstand a new OS install?

Not a comment on that process, but why don't you RMA the 840 Pro? It's not possible for them to actually be out of warranty if you purchased it new at retail, because they have 5 year warranties.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Thanatosian posted:

Do a clean install of Windows 10 with your Windows 7 key on your new drive with the old drive disconnected.

Don't bother cloning from a failing drive.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I'm a new owner of a Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, and also new to Widows 10, is it still recommended to turn off any OS defragging/optimizations it does to SSD's? That was the consensus years ago for Windows 7, not sure if things have changes with newer OS's. I also checked but didn't see any new firmware's for the 850, only the 840, so is the 850 up to date outta the box,? Also also, is Samsung Magician recommended, these kind of things tend to be snake oil or detrimental according to some.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

Is Macrium Reflect better or should I just stick with the Samsung Data Migration tool?

Funny I just saw this post while I was about to make this one:

Tried to copy with Macrium Reflect for a Windows 10 drive and it booted on the 850 fine until I actually hit the desktop, then the screen would not stop flickering no matter what I did. Which was limited as input kept getting eaten everytime it reloaded. Suspect some video driver issue.

Tried the Samsung tool and it worked fine :iiam:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Im_Special posted:

So I'm a new owner of a Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, and also new to Widows 10, is it still recommended to turn off any OS defragging/optimizations it does to SSD's? That was the consensus years ago for Windows 7, not sure if things have changes with newer OS's. I also checked but didn't see any new firmware's for the 850, only the 840, so is the 850 up to date outta the box,? Also also, is Samsung Magician recommended, these kind of things tend to be snake oil or detrimental according to some.
In Magician, you never needed to turn off optimizations, the warning was not to turn them on. The language on the buttons could be ambiguous. Just leave stuff at the defaults. As far as the OS is concerned, you shouldn't need to touch anything either.

There's no new firmware for the 850 series, so no need to worry about that at this point.

Magician's RAPID mode caching is by some considered potentially detrimental in that you might lose a minute amount of unwritten data in case of sudden power loss (which may happen anyway) and the OS doesn't know about it. But it's mostly that there isn't great agreement on whether it actually provides a worthwhile benefit, what with the OS doing similar caching and speeds being sufficient anyway. Some consider the caching only useful for gaming the benchmarks. Other swear by supposed real life speed improvements. Picking either side of the argument won't make you a massive loner idiot. Plenty of people will be on your side. There was a screenshot posted earlier where some option in Magician wasn't accessible because the user didn't agree to the collection of user data or something. Stuff like that annoys me enough to turn me off it, even though I've got no strong opinions on the rest. If it comforts you to have it running or not to have it running, go with that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Im_Special posted:

So I'm a new owner of a Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, and also new to Widows 10, is it still recommended to turn off any OS defragging/optimizations it does to SSD's? That was the consensus years ago for Windows 7, not sure if things have changes with newer OS's.

Windows 7 and up knows what a SSD is and that it should not be defragmented. With Vista and XP you should turn it off, but not in newer systems.
It will run a TRIM cycle instead of moving clusters around.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Flipperwaldt posted:

In Magician, you never needed to turn off optimizations, the warning was not to turn them on. The language on the buttons could be ambiguous. Just leave stuff at the defaults. As far as the OS is concerned, you shouldn't need to touch anything either.

There's no new firmware for the 850 series, so no need to worry about that at this point.

Magician's RAPID mode caching is by some considered potentially detrimental in that you might lose a minute amount of unwritten data in case of sudden power loss (which may happen anyway) and the OS doesn't know about it. But it's mostly that there isn't great agreement on whether it actually provides a worthwhile benefit, what with the OS doing similar caching and speeds being sufficient anyway. Some consider the caching only useful for gaming the benchmarks. Other swear by supposed real life speed improvements. Picking either side of the argument won't make you a massive loner idiot. Plenty of people will be on your side. There was a screenshot posted earlier where some option in Magician wasn't accessible because the user didn't agree to the collection of user data or something. Stuff like that annoys me enough to turn me off it, even though I've got no strong opinions on the rest. If it comforts you to have it running or not to have it running, go with that.

The issues with Magician:
1. Out of memory errors under heavy memory load
2. Possibility of losing data with power outage.
3. Doesn't seem to actually do anything useful

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

redeyes posted:

1. Out of memory errors under heavy memory load
2. Possibility of losing data with power outage.
3. Doesn't seem to actually do anything useful

4. Actually harmful "performance optimizations"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

nielsm posted:

Windows 7 and up knows what a SSD is and that it should not be defragmented. With Vista and XP you should turn it off, but not in newer systems.
It will run a TRIM cycle instead of moving clusters around.

With Windows 7, when switching to an SSD you need to re-run the Windows Experience Index so it detects that you've switched to an SSD and turns off the background defrag for you.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

redeyes posted:

5. Pops up 'Do you want to close Samsung Magician?' prompts seemingly randomly and with no provocation.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
6. Doesn't detect drives and crashes when you try to clone disks

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It looks like the op hasn't been updated in a while, so I thought I would ask.

I'm looking for a high-capacity SSD. I'd like 2TB, but 1TB might work.

Doesn't matter what form it's in as my motherboard supports the standard, M.2, and U.2 types.

Also price: lower is obviously better, but not at the expense of longevity and performance. I want something that will last a while.

I've done some searching but have had a hard time coming up with a decent solution.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Swartz posted:

Doesn't matter what form it's in as my motherboard supports the standard, M.2, and U.2 types.

Also price: lower is obviously better, but not at the expense of longevity and performance. I want something that will last a while.

I've done some searching but have had a hard time coming up with a decent solution.

Samsung 850 EVO if you are not too hard up on cash, otherwise try the Sandisk Ultra II.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Swartz posted:

The Sandisk X400 1TB might be your best choice, it's performance is better than the Ultra II, it has a 5 year warranty and is very cheap.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Sandisk X400 1TB might be your best choice, it's performance is better than the Ultra II, it has a 5 year warranty and is very cheap.

Perfect. Thank you :)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Thanatosian posted:

I'm curious what makes you think it's dieing?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

I'm curious what makes you think it's dieing?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779486

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

UK peeps might like this Amazon deal of the day

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M8ABHVQ/

Sandisk Ultra II 960GB for £140

Lum fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 16, 2016

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Sandisk, but sure, good deal

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
The 60GB OCZ Agility 3 I bought in 2011 or so and have had in constant use since then has started to occasionally refuse to initialize on boot with 47% of its life still left. I expected better from such a renowned brand!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Are there any m.2's that can actually use the 32gb/s available?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Ak Gara posted:

Are there any m.2's that can actually use the 32gb/s available?

If they're NVMe and not still stuck on the SATA standard then yeah, pretty sure they do have the ability to max out that bandwidth if I'm not mistaken.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

atomicthumbs posted:

The 60GB OCZ Agility 3 I bought in 2011 or so and have had in constant use since then has started to occasionally refuse to initialize on boot with 47% of its life still left. I expected better from such a renowned brand!

I just got a computer for recycling with an Agility 2 90GB that still works. Shocked me somewhat. Not only that, it has been powered off for 3 years and data was still fine on the thing.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

metallicaeg posted:

If they're NVMe and not still stuck on the SATA standard then yeah, pretty sure they do have the ability to max out that bandwidth if I'm not mistaken.

I've got my eye on a 1.2 TB Intel 750, but even that tops out at around 2.7 GB/s

I regret buying an 'OS + a couple of games' sized SSD. I had to install DOOM to my HDD because my SSD only had 40 gig free. :(

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

I've got my eye on a 1.2 TB Intel 750, but even that tops out at around 2.7 GB/s

I regret buying an 'OS + a couple of games' sized SSD. I had to install DOOM to my HDD because my SSD only had 40 gig free. :(

I've got both an Intel 750 1.2tb and 2xSamsung 850 EVO 1tb RAID-0. Both are pretty fast, though the Samsung option was by far cheaper. If you want a blazing fast boot drive, and have extra $$$, get the 750, but otherwise, for games, an SSD RAID-0 is probably better/cheaper.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
news from the OCZ front: managed to connect the drive to my desktop and image it, then it started initializing again in my laptop (though after a few retries of booting). now it's managed to corrupt ntfs.sys. I think it's trying to kill itself

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
It sounds like it is already dead, it's just twitching.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I got my dad a smallish 128GB Samsung SSD. Right now he has a 1TB rotational drive of which he's using ~600GB. Ideally I would like to clone his existing OS so I don't have to put up with complaints of him spending months to get his computer back to the way it was. What's the best way to do this? I was thinking of just moving his Documents, Music, Pictures, and Steam folder to a spare drive to get his usage down to under 100GB, do a clone, and then copy back over his files onto the 1TB drive. Is there a better way of doing this? Or should I bite the bullet and just do a fresh install?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

WhyteRyce posted:

I got my dad a smallish 128GB Samsung SSD. Right now he has a 1TB rotational drive of which he's using ~600GB. Ideally I would like to clone his existing OS so I don't have to put up with complaints of him spending months to get his computer back to the way it was. What's the best way to do this? I was thinking of just moving his Documents, Music, Pictures, and Steam folder to a spare drive to get his usage down to under 100GB, do a clone, and then copy back over his files onto the 1TB drive. Is there a better way of doing this? Or should I bite the bullet and just do a fresh install?

No, that does seem to be the best way of doing it. My dad and I went through that exact same process earlier this year.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Take back the 128 and get something with more space.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

For you silly people using M.2 PCIe drives, the new SM961 is available for preorder in the UK at least
http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/samsung_s_sm961_polaris_ssd_becomes_available_for_pre-order/1
Featuring the Polaris controller, not to be confused with the Polaris video cards :stonklol:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

For you silly people using M.2 PCIe drives, the new SM961 is available for preorder in the UK at least
http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/samsung_s_sm961_polaris_ssd_becomes_available_for_pre-order/1
Featuring the Polaris controller, not to be confused with the Polaris video cards :stonklol:

Jesus! I hope they make a version with a heatsink.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For a casual user, there's no real benefit to a PCIe/NVMe/Whatever special snowflake m.2 drive, right?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

PerrineClostermann posted:

For a casual user, there's no real benefit to a PCIe/NVMe/Whatever special snowflake m.2 drive, right?
A performance benefit for casual users would notice? No.
But it is nice to have less cables/clutter in your PC.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PerrineClostermann posted:

A few seconds faster boot time and nearly impercievable increases in game load time. Honestly the best use for them is professionals working with gigantic file sizes and giving MacBook Pro users something bragworthy.

A year from now the PCIe M.2 drives will seem like 5400rpm drives compared to what Intel's hyping Optane drives up to be...provided they don't get bored of it like they did with SATA Express.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A year from now the PCIe M.2 drives will seem like 5400rpm drives compared to what Intel's hyping Optane drives up to be...provided they don't get bored of it like they did with SATA Express.
There's gonna be a huge premium when Optane comes out.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Has there been info on what interface Optane will use? In the Intel demo Optane managed transfer speeds of 2GB/s and the PCIe M.2 can achieve twice that, so I would assume Optane will be available with M.2 for a long time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Saukkis posted:

Has there been info on what interface Optane will use? In the Intel demo Optane managed transfer speeds of 2GB/s and the PCIe M.2 can achieve twice that, so I would assume Optane will be available with M.2 for a long time.

Supposedly the first drives will be PCIe-based, but after that they've plans for drives that will be able to be dropped into specially-designed DIMM slots and able to be used as both memory *and* storage. The goal Intel is shooting for is making system memory and system storage the same thing.

But yeah, Optane is going to seriously be pricey and almost certainly going to be for expense accounts and trust-fund builders only when it comes out, and those DIMM drives were mentioned as being paired up with Xeons specifically.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure I'd want optane in my DIMM slots. Even if it's fast, it's slower than ram, right?

• Locked thread