Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm a huge Skeptic sssso, do we still need to jack into cyberspace to VR?
we're all about punching deck, now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm a huge Skeptic sssso, do we still need to jack into cyberspace to VR?

All VR is garbage, so don't even bother.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Update on photoscanning test! So I managed to get part of a scene (lots of missing pieces, It only matched about 1/4 of the photos and its easy to see what I missed), transfer it directly into that destinations program following their instructions and was able to get an ok result for a first go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcLzGB-Dozw

I tried to bring it into 3d studio max first but, holy crap I couldn't figure out what button to press or where to look or anything, so I just skipped that and imported it as is. The trickiest part was getting it scaled and rotated correctly. The scale especially was annoying, and I wish there was just some way to take an existing measurement I know, and align that with the same object on the model. Maybe there is though, not sure. I also couldn't get the teleportation to different areas to work despite following their directions to a T, so, I'll have to play around with that more. All in all, I was quite impressed with the quality for a first rough test, and I'm eager to play around more with this.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Tom Guycot posted:

Update on photoscanning test! So I managed to get part of a scene (lots of missing pieces, It only matched about 1/4 of the photos and its easy to see what I missed), transfer it directly into that destinations program following their instructions and was able to get an ok result for a first go.

I tried to bring it into 3d studio max first but, holy crap I couldn't figure out what button to press or where to look or anything, so I just skipped that and imported it as is. The trickiest part was getting it scaled and rotated correctly. The scale especially was annoying, and I wish there was just some way to take an existing measurement I know, and align that with the same object on the model. Maybe there is though, not sure. I also couldn't get the teleportation to different areas to work despite following their directions to a T, so, I'll have to play around with that more. All in all, I was quite impressed with the quality for a first rough test, and I'm eager to play around more with this.

This is cool as hell.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Summer Lesson is gonna make gang busters...

https://twitter.com/markmacd/status/744037424314126337

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a legal thing. Why else would they say it's fine for an individual to add in support for other headsets but not for someone to distribute it. That's a dumb distinction and it sounds like some lawyer made it up.

That, and both the superhot and giant cop teams have said they they've always intended to launch on one platform, iron out bugs, and then work on the other. I'm thinking it's just partly a result of limited resources. Giant Cop team has said the whole "timed exclusive" thing was their idea in the first place, not oculus', but who knows. The whole thing is blown way out of proportion imo, but hey I'm a dirty rift owner so my opinion doesn't count.

Only really slimy thing was if oculus approached croteam well after development started to just straightup get timed exclusivity, in which case, yeah, that's lovely. But then croteam came back and posted like immature children about it, so uh, tie?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wouldn't call them revealing the slimy things Oculus is up to behind the scenes "immature". Are you taking issue with how they did it, or that they did it at all? Because either is ridiculous but the latter would be especially stupid.

Also, Giant Cop was selling Vive preorders before the exclusivity was announced, if I recall correctly, so, that's pretty slimy too.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I wouldn't be so quick to judge an indie game dev as being slimy. If they were really out to screw people making VR games is probably the dumbest way to do it, so it's probably just them not making the best decisions since they don't have experience or expertise.

Edit: like I'm not saying don't criticize them, but slimy has a pretty specific connotation of them intentionally trying to scam people and I really think that's not what the Giant Cop people are doing

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

sliderule posted:

E3 was secretly terrible for the future of virtual reality

PS4 won't hack it, but Sony's promising support anyways.

Doomsaying is all bluster, though.

This is the first I've ever heard of low frame rates causing nausea. I've got a DK2, so pretty much everything I've used has been pretty low frame rates. The only time I got sick was playing Minecraft. Still can't figure out why, it wasn't because of low frame rate though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

GlyphGryph posted:

This is cool as hell.

lol the funniest thing is I kept bumping into things with the headset on, which I never do normally, because somewhere deep in my brain the muscle memory kept telling me i was in my living room that i've navigated a billion times.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

battlezone on psvr looks really sweet. everyone who tried it at e3 sounds in love.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lemming posted:

I wouldn't be so quick to judge an indie game dev as being slimy. If they were really out to screw people making VR games is probably the dumbest way to do it, so it's probably just them not making the best decisions since they don't have experience or expertise.

Edit: like I'm not saying don't criticize them, but slimy has a pretty specific connotation of them intentionally trying to scam people and I really think that's not what the Giant Cop people are doing

Being an indie dev is really difficult as success is very hit or miss. And since this is the post-Greenlight era on Steam, most are going to miss and the years of working on their stuff is going to net them no profits. Oculus appearing with a big pile of cash with the only catch being timed exclusivity is something that I doubt many smart part-time, small-team indies will turn down.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

If you have a VIVE you owe yourself to play Vanishing Realm. It is a dungeon crawler with everything that comes with: Finding food, puzzles, big boss enemies, cool environments. It cuts back on nothing just because it is a VR game.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 18, 2016

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Tom Guycot posted:

Very cool indeed. I'm going to have to try an interior next.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Is there a minimum size for a photogrammetry thing? I have a tiny kei van that I think would be neat to do one of these with so everyone can experience how small it is.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

KakerMix posted:

Is there a minimum size for a photogrammetry thing? I have a tiny kei van that I think would be neat to do one of these with so everyone can experience how small it is.

Not at all. As long as you've got the physical room to take the photos.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

So I have to second Battle Dome in this thread, it's awesome, if amazingly unpolished (dev says he's been working on it for about a month, but he's really active and working on stuff). Lot's of people playing too.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm in line to try the PSVR. The guy in front of me smells bad.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
An ominous beginning. :allears:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Doesn't look like they have the controllers setup so I'm going to try Battlezone. Optimistic about the screen and lenses. The way you put it on is pretty different from the Rift or Vive. Disappointing that there's no built in headphones

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's good poo poo! The paper resolution is lower, but honestly I didn't see a big difference. If you didn't tell me what it was before, I would not have been able to tell just by looking at the screen. The sweet spot also was large, and things were clear far off to the side, like the Rift. I didn't notice any significant fresnel artifacts, and I don't know if it even uses them.

The way you put it on is pretty great too, the screen doesn't rest on your face at all, you winch it to your skull and it just hovers right out in front. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the standard all the headsets move to, although I wasn't doing a lot of flailing around. It was sort of heavy, but that was likely just the bigass headphones they put on me. Either way, integrated headphones makes the whole thing feels a lot better, so that's a minus for me.

All in all for $400 on a PS4 you probably already own is just great. I don't know what the quality of the games would be but the barrier to entry is low enough that depending on how the software library shakes out I would definitely recommend that people buy this.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnN6ORLmExo

TANSTAAFL
Feb 10, 2006
fubar

That's awesome looks like the tracking is fine there. I wonder how many of those hard cuts were when he turned around and pulled out that cord though, needs a longer extension :)

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Well, I guess that answers my question about whether games have to be coded explicitly for the Rift+Touch. Now let's have a price and a release date!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Dammit I need a date Oculus.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Updating on my photogrammetry experiments, in case theres anyone as clueless as me who wants to try it out :v:.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsIDqbdMqno
So for a second test i took less photos, and as suggest went around the perimater instead of 360 shots in the center:
test 1 cameras
test 2

I also drew the mesh with the extrapolation option, instead of the default interpolation option. With both it still erased my table for some reason, I'm guessing because its so dark and theres no pattern to it, though in my first test the table came out fine. Huh. However the tradeoffs ended up being the extrapolation option captured more of an approximation of the featureless parts of the walls, but it was a lot more 'cut up' with more jagged sections, including the missing bits as you can see in the video.

The other incredibly fun thing I did was finding out how neat it is to adjust your scale so your location looks like a little dollhouse, or alternately it feels like someone shrunk you! The scaling is by far the trickiest part of the current workflow I'm trying (photos>photoscan>destinations workshop/hammer editor), and I don't know a good way to get the scale right, it takes a lot of trial and error and still feels slightly off. Photoscan will let you set the scale properly, but that unfortunately doesn't carry over the steam tools. Pi Mu Rho, I'd be curious what you did for scale, and if 3d studio/unity allows you to set a correct scale from a known measurement or something?

Anyways, my next test I'm going to try combining even fewer perimeter photos, mixed with some 360 shots on a tripod in the center from a couple angles. Along with that I'm going to try and take more detailed photos of the objects that don't seem to render well. Its a shame it takes so long to do all this compiling, I have to let it go overnight mostly.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I gotta say Windlands is so much easier using the Touch :v: It's nice having a controller with actual buttons that are easy to reach and push.

Can confirm SteamVR works just fine with the Rift, though I had to unplug my Vive to get it to see it. Wish there was an in-software way to select which headset I want to use. 360 works fine, have yet to try roomscale. Tracking seems just fine, too. I don't have my sensors as far apart as my Lighthouses, but they are just far enough to see me 360.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

KakerMix posted:

I'm still wondering how effective timed exclusives even are. "Oh no I can't play Giant Cop for a few months I can't wait I'm going to buy an Oculus to play it right now!" or "Oh man I gotta have SUPERHOT VR right now I can't control myself!"
Even Microsoft paid out the rear end for a AAA game in Tomb Raider and it did exactly dick with the Xbox one. Is it just to pad their presentations with 'oh man 30* games!' so when websites report on it the article reads better? Or is it to make sure they use Touch right? Is it to stem the tide? Is it a defensive move?
Is Valve as mad as Zenimax is at Oculus and there is a bunch of spite churning behind all this?

I think it's pretty easy to blaze through triple a titles in vr. If oculus released a bunch of triple a experiences like starseed by December then i can see myself picking up one and maybe even selling my vive if there's no vive exclusives (I hate to say it but I would)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

KakerMix posted:

One thing i've been finding so far, in something cramped with a lot of nooks and angles and things, you gotta really keep in mind what the computer is going to be seeing in these pictures, and how its going to link one picture to the next, so I would say on the corners, undersides, or other spaces where you're trying to get detail, take a lot of pictures on the transition between those to wider shots so the computer knows how they fit together.

Edit: Be wary of going too overboard though. Moving from a test of 155 pictures, to 252 pictures increased the time to match the points for the sparse cloud from 20 minutes to 70 minutes or so, and one that was over 500 took more than 4 hours. The test I did of 155 pictures isn't even noticeably less quality than the big 500 picture one I rendered and linked in my post above, in fact the table is still intact and it came out better. I'm going to keep pairing down to see how few pictures I actually need to take, I'd probably suggest starting small and working your way up to more to fill in the gaps, than going overboard like I did.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 19, 2016

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Tom Guycot posted:

Pi Mu Rho, I'd be curious what you did for scale, and if 3d studio/unity allows you to set a correct scale from a known measurement or something?

Honestly, I eyeballed it. It could be beneficial to have some kind of marker in the room that gives you a known height (even a line drawn on a doorframe) and use that as a reference for scale.

The Pro version of Photoscan allows you to measure distances between points in your pointcloud/mesh, which would be helpful, but I'm not forking out another $3k just for that and a bunch of GIS features that I'll never use. I have wondered about the benefit of acquiring a decent drone to assist with aerial coverage and taller objects. It all depends how far down the rabbit hole you feel like going - I started messing around with this stuff a while back, and there's definitely ways to monetise it.

Really impressed with what you've done so far. It's all about learning the best and most optimal practices for shooting the scene and processing. Once you've got that down, you can recreate pretty much anything.

Pi Mu Rho fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 19, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
This is his tracking setup:

Reality Check VR posted:

it's changed a lot but right now and for this video they are each mounted 1 ft off the ceiling a little less than 25' apart...

Here's him just messing around with Touch in SteamVR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8hVW8_YFLM
and him playing Longbow in The Lab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty67YU_89sg

e: I still don't get why they don't allow the ships to rotate in Hover Junkers. Seems like it limits gameplay possibilities a bit. Maybe their tech makes it complicated to implement (though I'm guessing it must be a deliberate design decision).

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

El Grillo posted:

e: I still don't get why they don't allow the ships to rotate in Hover Junkers. Seems like it limits gameplay possibilities a bit. Maybe their tech makes it complicated to implement (though I'm guessing it must be a deliberate design decision).
Could be a few things. They're a small team, maybe they just haven't prioritized figuring out a way to do it that feels good and won't be accidentally triggered at an inopportune moment. Or maybe the rotational movement made people puke and they ditched it.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Got my Rift and Leap, they're rad as hell, etc. One question though: is there a way to power off the Rift without unplugging it? I know the screens turn off when I take it off but it stays warm all the time which makes me feel like I should be turning it off completely. But there's no power button?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Making sure I've closed out of Oculus Home after using it fixed that for me. You can also unplug the USB cable, if it's easily accessible.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

Could be a few things. They're a small team, maybe they just haven't prioritized figuring out a way to do it that feels good and won't be accidentally triggered at an inopportune moment. Or maybe the rotational movement made people puke and they ditched it.

The puking is my guess. The ships not rotating gives a similar effect to the cockpit in a flying or space game where there's something stable in your vision so you get less sick.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

They've said that it's the puking. The gameplay is more engaging when you have to turn your body anyways.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Pi Mu Rho posted:

Honestly, I eyeballed it. It could be beneficial to have some kind of marker in the room that gives you a known height (even a line drawn on a doorframe) and use that as a reference for scale.

The Pro version of Photoscan allows you to measure distances between points in your pointcloud/mesh, which would be helpful, but I'm not forking out another $3k just for that and a bunch of GIS features that I'll never use. I have wondered about the benefit of acquiring a decent drone to assist with aerial coverage and taller objects. It all depends how far down the rabbit hole you feel like going - I started messing around with this stuff a while back, and there's definitely ways to monetise it.

Really impressed with what you've done so far. It's all about learning the best and most optimal practices for shooting the scene and processing. Once you've got that down, you can recreate pretty much anything.

Now you got me seriously considering this now. Using a drone to capture an entire properity and then throwing it into a virtual world for people to see as if they were physically there, would be pretty sweet.
Might just have to load up the demo and charge up the drone and see what I can get.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Now you got me seriously considering this now. Using a drone to capture an entire properity and then throwing it into a virtual world for people to see as if they were physically there, would be pretty sweet.
Might just have to load up the demo and charge up the drone and see what I can get.
I've done some of this, it works pretty well. Main thing is you want is to geolocate your images with GPS data, I was going to hack together some arduino GPS logger or something but my brother had the amazing idea of just getting a cheapo Garmin watch and strapping it to one of the legs of the drone. Once its geolocated you get correct scale and alignment for free out of the photogrammetry software.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Using a Phantom I wonder if there is a way to jack into the GPS data the drone itself uses.

Or better yet, sell it and get a better drone (its a P2 and I really need to get a P4 or better) or built one myself. Hmm

Either way, cool stuff and more awesome things I don't have time for, ugh.

In VR news. Playing Overwatch in VR using Virtual Desktop is bad.

Bad in the sense that going back to my 27" 1440P screen feels like I am back on a 15" CRT after playing on an iMAX screen in my Rift. Jeez. It is actually quite playable and fun, however I tried to stream while doing that, and my 980Ti wasn't having any of that lol. Might try it lowered to 1080P and see if that helps some. It worked, but I played worse because of it (I think around 30FPS but it wasn't really the game, more Virtual Desktop starting to choke while the Game eats GPU cycles as well as OBS Studio doing its Streaming/Capture overhead. A 1080Ti should fix all that I am guessing. :shepspends:

Overwatch is just soo drat much fun.. I can't stop playing it even in VR...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Using a Phantom I wonder if there is a way to jack into the GPS data the drone itself uses.

Or better yet, sell it and get a better drone (its a P2 and I really need to get a P4 or better) or built one myself. Hmm
I believe on a Phantom you would either need the DJI data link/ground station stuff, or to hack up a data logger to plug into the canbus port, not sure if there's any way to have them log GPS other than that. You can actually just go in after the fact and take a couple of pictures by hand and manually key in the coordinates of where you stood for a basic fix, the software only needs a couple of control points to align the site. That would probably be fine for VR, honestly.