Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
Let's drop the bullshit and be honest here, the only reason anyone wants premades is for the exact reason they shouldn't have them. Pubstomping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
The solution to that is the same it is now. If you see somebody under rank 15, or the entire group of four joins as one (give us a party indicator maybe) then you leave and find a new group.

Nothing wrong with cherrypicking when the rank climbers are this bad. They'll just disconnect even if youd o kill them.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Mister Bup posted:

The solution to that is the same it is now. If you see somebody under rank 15, or the entire group of four joins as one (give us a party indicator maybe) then you leave and find a new group.

Nothing wrong with cherrypicking when the rank climbers are this bad. They'll just disconnect even if youd o kill them.

There are lots of disconnectors but there are plenty of legitimate rank 14+ that don't dc. I just hit 14 last game. I've killed plenty of rank 10+ people who didn't dc when I caught them. I've watched streamers who are rank 1 and obviously don't dc because they have viewers. I'm pretty sure I've seen far more legitimate upper rankers than I've seen DCing babies.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 19, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
DCing as a rank climber hurts you threefold so I really have difficulty believing it's truly as common as goonsay likes to imply.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Pretty sure DC by cord or crash doesn't lose you points, I've crashed and come back with my rank intact before.

Even if they don't DC, I've played against enough high rank survivors to know they're painfully unfun to play against. I came here for tense stealth survival horror and instead I've got survivors chasing me around for bold points, pulling people off the hook before my hook animation is finished, and scurrying off to their infinite juke-loop of choice the second I come after them.

I'm actually having more funa s survivor cause I can choose not to be a part of that poo poo.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 19, 2016

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

This game just needs a real matchmaking system to fix it's problems. I'd wait longer to be matched against a killer of my rank. And then lower rank players who have a really unfun time fighting higher rank survivors could also get the matches they want.

I'm starting to realize that there's no meaning in my rank right now too. Like, being rank 14 is the exact same thing as rank 1 minus the time invested. If my opponents don't get stronger, and the requirements to rank up remain 5000 points plus escape, than it really is just a difference of how much time I've had to sink. Once you've proven you can advance a few ranks without sliding back down, than that's going to stay true forever if you are still getting matches against the same opponents.

In most game's you average out at a true rank of some sort because you reach a point where you win/lose roughly 50 percent of the time.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 19, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

LibbyM posted:

They sold a deluxe version that came with beta keys for 3 people, and no mode that lets 3 people play together. Deluxe edition aught to have come with 5 beta keys if the only way to play with friends was as a 5 person group. They brought all the complaints about friend lobby's on themselves.

There is a mode to play with friends though.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Mister Bup posted:

Pretty sure DC by cord or crash doesn't lose you points, I've crashed and come back with my rank intact before.

It doesn't. I was playing on my laptop and the wireless button is next to the mute button and I accidentally hit it. Was only for a second about 10 seconds into the match but the match ended for me and counted as a win and I lost nothing.

I'm still rank 19 because I'm not a dirty rank whore who would abuse something like that.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Rank 13 now. They really need to change something with the match making or something. I was excited when I first started climbing ranks and the wind is already completely out of my sails.

Raged posted:

There is a mode to play with friends though.

I'm saying the mode to play with friends required a full group of 5 people, and they sold a version of the game that came with "beta keys for friends" and did not let you form a full group. Hence saying "it should have come with 5 beta keys".

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

LibbyM posted:

This game just needs a real matchmaking system to fix it's problems. I'd wait longer to be matched against a killer of my rank. And then lower rank players who have a really unfun time fighting higher rank survivors could also get the matches they want.

I'm starting to realize that there's no meaning in my rank right now too. Like, being rank 14 is the exact same thing as rank 1 minus the time invested. If my opponents don't get stronger, and the requirements to rank up remain 5000 points plus escape, than it really is just a difference of how much time I've had to sink. Once you've proven you can advance a few ranks without sliding back down, than that's going to stay true forever if you are still getting matches against the same opponents.

In most game's you average out at a true rank of some sort because you reach a point where you win/lose roughly 50 percent of the time.

A matchmaking system would be cool but they'd need to fix the dramatic balance swing. Rank 20 survivors vs a Rank 20 killer'll probably the killer but I can see a few getting away. Rank 1 survivors vs a Rank 1 killer he'll be cheering if he manages to catch one of them, and they'll probably cheese him oout of it as soon as he puts him on the hook.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Mister Bup posted:

A matchmaking system would be cool but they'd need to fix the dramatic balance swing. Rank 20 survivors vs a Rank 20 killer'll probably the killer but I can see a few getting away. Rank 1 survivors vs a Rank 1 killer he'll be cheering if he manages to catch one of them, and they'll probably cheese him oout of it as soon as he puts him on the hook.

I think survivor perks are going to be an issue after this game's been out a long time too. Like, a group of survivors fully suited out with Sprint Burst, Self Heal, Sabotage, and some 4th perk is going to stomp all over any of the killer perks. I already feel brokenly strong with 20 second cooldown sprint burst. Eventually I'm going to be able to heal myself without a medkit too, and sabotage hooks without toolkits.

I think letting survivors eventually learn the unique perks from other survivors might be a mistake.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Raged posted:

Maybe he felt the same way. I have sat there just watching twitch streamers and window hoppers die. Why? Because it felt good.

I am not ashamed to say that when I downed the final assclown that had been window/palletfucking me all game, I toyed with them. I stood over them for a good thirty seconds tapping M2 to keep ringing my bell, then I picked them up and brought them to a hook, only to drop them and do it again. Then finally hook em and end the match.

I... might need to talk to a professional. That can't be healthy.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I don't know how the gently caress they thought self heal and saboteur were a good idea. They actually nerfed toolbox because survivors were destroying all the hooks in the level. THen they put in a perk that lets you do it infinitely forever.

I guess it's sort of like how they nerfed the shack because it could be infinitely juked, then added a bunch of new places that make the shack look small time.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

LibbyM posted:

I'm saying the mode to play with friends required a full group of 5 people, and they sold a version of the game that came with "beta keys for friends" and did not let you form a full group. Hence saying "it should have come with 5 beta keys".

You're trying to read far too much into that. The idea was to spread around beta keys, that's it.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If they actually MMed all high ranks against each other it'd fix leet lords right up

just had a killer game where once I loaded in I couldn't move for five minutes.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 19, 2016

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Lost a killer pip because two survivors pulled the plug. :smith:

Gained one against a swarm of flies thinking they're gonna be outsmarting me by staying close and rescuing each other off the hooks. Downed all four in one go, then methodically hooked all of them except one, who I couldn't find. :black101:

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I have had 3 matches as a killer in the last few hours. He is how they all ended.

I killed 3 the first 3. The 4th disconnected. No pip. This getting to be very discouraging. Disco should be Insta sacrifice .

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Last game I had as the Trapper had two level 14s with toolboxes. I hooked the first and camped him and he pulled the plug just as the Entity killed him. The other exited via menu after I downed him for the second time. Killed the other two, no one escaped, 8000 points, lost pip. I'm really glad I'm not playing this to grind levels because that poo poo would get loving old loving fast.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Has anyone else noticed a hard limit of three hookings?
I've seen folks with relatively plenty of HP left get unhooked twice, then get taken straight away when I put them back a third time.

It's pretty amusing when survivors are cocky at the start of a round. I've found myself getting almost chased by them after getting a grab on someone. Hearing the repeated clicking of flashlights behind me as I make for the murderbasement never ceases to be funny. :D
Flashlights are, incidentally, really easy to counter. When someone tries it I kinda turn away from them a bit, then continue towards them diagonally. I still have a good idea where they are based on how white my screen is and when I make it within shanking range it doesn't matter if they get the blind in or not. After the first hit they're always extremely reluctant to try their flashlight luck again.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Yeah, this game is not balanced at all for teams that have more than 1 perk slot. The killers feel like gimps going against teams with all the characters lvl 15+. It's not even fun.

Oh well i got my $17 bucks out of it.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bup posted:

There's kind of a matchmaking in. I had an amazing match where all the survivors were in the green tier and we were clowned on by a trapper on ironworks. It was incredibly fun and I got a pip dying in that one and it turned out to be a Rank 1 killer.

None of us had any cross-class shenanigans though, my sabotaging his traps was not backed up by infinite healing or mega boost.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015

adamantium|wang posted:

Last game I had as the Trapper had two level 14s with toolboxes. I hooked the first and camped him and he pulled the plug just as the Entity killed him. The other exited via menu after I downed him for the second time. Killed the other two, no one escaped, 8000 points, lost pip. I'm really glad I'm not playing this to grind levels because that poo poo would get loving old loving fast.

If I see poo poo like that I just drop the lobby. While you can't do this anymore because we've decided as a society that we'll only play a multiplayer game with some kind of progression system, the game would be much more fun with no perks or add-ons at all. Find items in the match, otherwise no.

Maybe drop offerings at match end as random mutators.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

adamantium|wang posted:

I have gotten to Rank 9 without massive ragequitting whenever things don't go my way but rather by the simple expedient of being willing to let motherfuckers die rather than trying to be a hero. Nothing gets you killed more often than trying to be a hero. I've even figured out why killers camp so closely, because they end up with 2-4 kills by camping easily as everyone is a big hero.

But not me! I'm that guy in a horror movie, which is why most of my deaths are from other survivors sprinting towards me and the killer going 'hey, nice'

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 19, 2016

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
How do you rank up without farming altruism points though? I've been playing metal gear solid mode as survivor and I never rank up cause the killer never even sees me.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

you get half of the needed points just by escaping so you need a combined 5k points from the rest, you can get 2500 easily from doing 2 generators, 600 if you see all the other survivors, 250 from opening a chest (can do this even if you have an item you dont want to throw away) then maybe 1k from misc stuff (like opening the exit door). If you literally never see the killer it could be a problem but then you could go do an extra generator or something. If you have a map you can get 300 points from finding each generator, or with a toolbox sabotage 2 hooks for a free 2k points

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bup posted:

How do you rank up without farming altruism points though? I've been playing metal gear solid mode as survivor and I never rank up cause the killer never even sees me.

Sabotage lets me farm up an extra couple thousand Boldness if I have a match so easy I won't get the points required. Cooping generators makes a ton of extra points, as well.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

If you take a map with you, you get 300 extra points for every generator you look at too.

Genuinely, I don't think I've deranked on a single match that I both escaped and felt like I was a healthy part of my team winning.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 19, 2016

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Basically if you want to be a creepy forest hobo you should play the survivor who is a creepy forest hobo, his unique perks are 'make it harder to be tracked' 'turn off the killer's crow perk so they can't mysteriously track you' and 'farm enough xp to rank up by surviving even if you never touch a generator'

Or as I have done plenty of times, farm enough xp to rank even while dying as long as you also did a bunch of generators

I don't use the crow perk, I have both Premonition and Spine Chill so i can gently caress off back to the woods even faster

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Stalked and killed three out of the four players, as soon as the third was dead the fourth insta-escaped, presumably from sitting on the hatch. This makes me lose a pip?

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

H2SO4 posted:

Stalked and killed three out of the four players, as soon as the third was dead the fourth insta-escaped, presumably from sitting on the hatch. This makes me lose a pip?

Be less ruthlessly efficient.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
The apparent idea of the devs was to encourage slasher movie stories by rewarding you for doing slasher movie things. Like how in the new terrible Jason game you'll only be able to track people if they're scared, making it useful to gently caress with them for a while before moving in for the kill.

The problem is nobody gives a poo poo about that, so you either go for the kill as fast as possible and risk losing a pip, or you farm points by dingdonging your bell for fifteen minutes in front of the hooked survivor.

It's not that bad for killer though. Losing a pip for three kills is pretty rare unless all you did was run up to them and hit them with your thing. I actually just got a pip for two kills cause I did a lot of chainsawing. Surprise surprise, I played against a rank 16 who tried to clown me and he pulled the plug as soon as I put him on the hook.

Edit: Actually having a lot of fun with the hillbilly, the chainsaw's got a lot of utility if you use it right. Run across the map, pop a guy with that sick turnaround somebody mentioned above, and rev it up as you head for a generator to fish for scratches.

Mister Bup fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 19, 2016

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Chainsaw makes me wish there was a practice mode where I could just charge around with it testing. There's a lot more finesse in that skill than anything else in the game.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

So where do I go if I wanna play with goons, I have no idea how this game works.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

You wait. They didn't plan to have groups and didn't balance for it, then people got mad, now they're working on groups. Alternatively you could try syncing up when you click join game.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

queued for a few games as killer for my daily and ran into a dude who already fuckin prestiged meg and got her to level 26 again, good god if that dude ain't cheating idk how much poopsocking that is. He left the lobby, presumably to join his friend that helps him pointfarm

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
In case anyone is interested, here's a clip where I got a successful flashlight stun on a Wraith. You can also see what it looks like before/during uncloaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJUKwTGuY6M

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

oh poo poo I just realized, he was prestiged TWICE, obviously cheating somehow. There's a dude streaming who has prestiged once and is level 6 who seems to be playing legit, he's done ~150 games since release. The other dude had an icon with 2 lines instead of 1.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Indecisive posted:

oh poo poo I just realized, he was prestiged TWICE, obviously cheating somehow. There's a dude streaming who has prestiged once and is level 6 who seems to be playing legit, he's done ~150 games since release. The other dude had an icon with 2 lines instead of 1.

Yeah you can cheat a save with a billion blood points, I've seen a Prestige 3 level 35

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

That's, uhhh.... not supposed to happen.

Two were dead, and then suddenly new survivors started spawning in next to me. They didn't move at all, and the match abruptly ended about 30 seconds later as if the killer disconnected. At least I didn't lose my flashlight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

In the beta there was a semi frequent bug where it would spawn 7 survivors 1 killer at the start of the match, and require survivors to get more generators to win. Haven't seen anything like that since launch though.

• Locked thread