Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Guillermus posted:

The murakumo has the highest stamina usage of all three even if it's lighter than the Exile. Carthus Curved has the longest reach of all three, has bleed, weights less and has less stamina usage than the other two. Murakumo is basically the worst with being the Exile stronger but way heavier and same on stamina and has no bleed. To me is a no brainer that the Carthus is the best and applying carthus rouge makes it a solid choice in comparison with katanas, you get hyper armor and does and can stagger in PvE pretty easy high armored targets.

Or, just use the Carthus curved sword wich is drat fast, light and has good moveset.

The problem I have with the carthus greatsword is that the weapon art is significantly worse than the other two. The exile spin has a massive arc and insane range but the carthus greatsword will whiff on anything that is moving, and I've found it much harder to free aim than things like stomp follow-ups or spin bash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Carthus Greatsword is decent when hollowed.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Kild posted:

Carthus Greatsword is decent when hollowed.

But of course not as good as the warden twin blades hollowed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSvzhg_Pbyo

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I beat the game.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, the bigger problem is the arrow spam and if I bother to avoid the billion projectiles I still don't have much time to hit him. I only go for the tail thing.

Stay in his (her? it's?) face at all times to bait the easily-dodged melee attacks and discourage the arrow rain.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I bought this game on launch and finally managed to 'beat' it. That is to say, I have completed all areas except placing the lords in their thrones and going for the ending. I am not sure if I should do that now or wait for the DLCs to come out in case it has some effect like the DS2 dlc. I don't have a lot of time to play games, so I really cannot replay it from start once the dlc comes out.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Medieval Medic posted:

I bought this game on launch and finally managed to 'beat' it. That is to say, I have completed all areas except placing the lords in their thrones and going for the ending. I am not sure if I should do that now or wait for the DLCs to come out in case it has some effect like the DS2 dlc. I don't have a lot of time to play games, so I really cannot replay it from start once the dlc comes out.

You can end the game without having to start NG+. Just choose "No" when they ask you if you want to begin Journey 2 after the credits, and you'll go back to Firelink! So go beat the game, you're not done yet!

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

unlawfulsoup posted:

gently caress aldrich, what a bs boss. Fucker just spams poo poo tons of spells and arrows and barely stands still long enough to hit him.

Little late to the party on this one but he is extremely weak to fire. Despite having a second phase consisting of slug fire.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That's when he's doing his Gwyn impression, who was also, I think, weak to fire, despite being fire-guy.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I assume the logic is "yes they're made of fire, but the Lords of Cinder clearly did not enjoy it."

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Supremezero posted:

I assume the logic is "yes they're made of fire, but the Lords of Cinder clearly did not enjoy it."
Like this?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2E6d5j3qrss

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Stay in his (her? it's?) face at all times to bait the easily-dodged melee attacks and discourage the arrow rain.

I find it hard to keep up with all the teleports. Not to mention I burn a lot of my stamina when I get there rolling around like a loon to avoid the orbs and other poo poo he fires incessantly.

Feonir posted:

Little late to the party on this one but he is extremely weak to fire. Despite having a second phase consisting of slug fire.

Yeah, I can easily put fire on the blade, so I will see if that helps. When I am actually hitting him with the wolf sword thing (I think it has a bonus against these enemy type) it does enough damage. The problem is getting there before he shits out another attack or teleports.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
What weapons do you guys use on sorcerers? Right now, I'm in Irithyll and using a Raw +7 Astora's Straight Sword, but I figure I ought to replace it soon, as I'm nearing 40 intelligence, and a crystal weapon is probably going to outpace it soon. I'm leaning towards a Crystal Longsword, since I don't need any extra stats for it, but I'm open to any suggestions. Stats are 27 VIG, 15 END, 12 STR, 11 DEX, 18 ATT and 36 INT right now.

(I think I'll be using the MLGS when I can get my hands on it, but gotta use something in the meanwhile.)

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i used a raw rapier since its extremely fast and stamina efficient. i didnt switch it to crystal until i had 70 int and that was only because i couldnt be bothered to buff it with magic weapon anymore on account of the candlestick being so essential.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I personally don't use crystal weapons on my wizard because she's got enough ways to gently caress someone up with magic, but when I run into a magic resistant for or boss for I want a second damage type to fall back on.

Same reason I use holy instead of lightning on my cleric.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I accidentally used my blessed titanite on a Morningstar and I don't get the damage I want out of it. Is there another place to get the stone and is there a better weapon to bless?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

The Kingfish posted:

I accidentally used my blessed titanite on a Morningstar and I don't get the damage I want out of it. Is there another place to get the stone and is there a better weapon to bless?

Best weapon to bless is the dragon slayers axe.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Blessing stones can drop from the buffing priests in Lothric castle.. Kinda late game thought.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blech going to give up on ds2. Even though I levelled up enough now and got decent gear I forgot how boring the world is. :/

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Is there a way to invade or be summoned as a mound maker that doesn't instantly result in the host and 2-3 phantoms gang raping you? The only time I can win my shackles is on the off chance it's just a host or with one phantom, but that is rare. If the host would understand that if he has phantoms I'm only going for them, maybe? I dunno, it seems pointless bc everyone in the world just attacks you on sight, even darkwraiths. It just seems like you ought to just pale tongue it all day instead.

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 19, 2016

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Best way to avoid gank squads is to make an invader that doesent use +10 weapons. I got plenty of non gank squad action at lvl 50 with a +6 weapon. Since i can also invade in pontiff area gank squads dont even really matter since aldritch faithfull invade there too. Once i reached +10 weapons the gank squads increase a lot more.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How's the weapon level calculated, by your current inventory, your current equip, or the highest you've ever levelled a weapon? Do the special weapons that only go to +5 count as +10 if you level them up fully?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Highest you've ever upgraded a weapon, ever.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If you ever level a weapon to +6 you are always considered a +6 weapon user even if you remove it from your inventory. Weapons that only upgrade to +5 are considered +10 as far as invasions go. At +1 they are considered +3, at +2 they are +4 and so on.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Iretep posted:

Best way to avoid gank squads is to make an invader that doesent use +10 weapons. I got plenty of non gank squad action at lvl 50 with a +6 weapon. Since i can also invade in pontiff area gank squads dont even really matter since aldritch faithfull invade there too. Once i reached +10 weapons the gank squads increase a lot more.

My highest weapon is +6. I've been invading the valley and anor londo

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
there's usually ~honour duel~ clubs in the open bit past Sullyvahn's fire, kinda boring but you can do 1v1s as a purple well enough to grind shackles

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
My current invasion SL 60 build revolves around nothing but Black Iron Greatshield and Lothric Knight Spear. Maybe some HP buffing gear to make it more tanky?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Well I took to heart all of your suggestions, made a tiny buff to my stamina, and well I beat loving Aldrich. Only took like 8 tries (ugh) but that salty arrow spamming asswipe went down. Honestly, besides luck with his arrow attack mitigating his purple poo poo with the pillars was key. I didn't bleed that much health otherwise and my trademark roll like you are on fire technique ensured I got close enough.

gently caress you aldrich, I am going to poo poo on your cinders.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

unlawfulsoup posted:

gently caress you aldrich, I am going to poo poo on your cinders.
Good show!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Million Ghosts posted:

there's usually ~honour duel~ clubs in the open bit past Sullyvahn's fire, kinda boring but you can do 1v1s as a purple well enough to grind shackles

I usually duel there, where are the cool kids swinging at

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

-S- posted:

Is there a way to invade or be summoned as a mound maker that doesn't instantly result in the host and 2-3 phantoms gang raping you? The only time I can win my shackles is on the off chance it's just a host or with one phantom, but that is rare. If the host would understand that if he has phantoms I'm only going for them, maybe? I dunno, it seems pointless bc everyone in the world just attacks you on sight, even darkwraiths. It just seems like you ought to just pale tongue it all day instead.

If you invade as a Mound Maker, enemies don't attack you unless the host uses Giant Seeds.

If you run into a true gank squad i.e people just hanging in one spot refusing to move, just BC out. Otherwise just drag them through the entire level, picking your battles and drain their Estus.

Or just do this all day long: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6gC08c6Y8uY

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

amazing

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Holy gently caress I loaded up an old Dark Souls 1 character and I don't think I can keep playing it, everything is just so much clunkier and less smooth than the newer games.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Alright gang, we need to talk about Wolnir.

Some of you have been swinging your big dicks or clits around saying how you beat Wolnir easily, so easily, easiest boss in the whole series.

Well, some of us have had endless troubles with ol Boney King. And I'll admit, I was discouraged hearing so much boasting from some of you scamps. But, I figured out the issue:

On the first go at Wolnir, when he's hiding behind the Grave Warden tome, his bracelets break MUCH more easily! gently caress I was bangin' my head against him solo on a character, then on another lower level character, I beat him first try in about 50 seconds. It's all in the annoying HP difference in the bracelets between try 1 and tries 2-100.

So anyone who hasn't gotten to Wolnir yet, if ya didn't know, now ya know the secret.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 19, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I know right? I mean as much as I love DS1 and the covenants and mechanics of DS2, they're kind of not very playable after being spoiled with DS3

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Anal Surgery posted:

Alright gang, we need to talk about Wolnir.

Some of you have been swinging your big dicks or clits around saying how you beat Wolnir easily, so easily, easiest boss in the whole series.

Well, some of us have had endless troubles with ol Boney King. And I'll admit, I was discouraged hearing so much boasting from some of you scamps. But, I figured out the issue:

On the first go at Wolnir, when he's hiding behind the Grave Warden tome, his bracelets break MUCH more easily! gently caress I was bangin' my head against him solo on a character, then on another lower lever character, I beat him first try in about 50 seconds. It's all in the annoying HP difference in the bracelets between try 1 and tries 2-100.

So anyone who hasn't gotten to Wolnir yet, if ya didn't know, now ya know the secret.

Wolnir isn't the easiest boss, that's Deacons. Deacons isn't even really a boss, it's a love letter to large-swing weapons

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tried invading once with a password up just to see if you could invade specific people like with password coop.

well that answers that

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

QuarkJets posted:

Wolnir isn't the easiest boss, that's Deacons. Deacons isn't even really a boss, it's a love letter to large-swing weapons

Well you and I know that, but there's some real Haughty Boys in the thread who think Wolnir is the Pinwheel of DS3

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

So I've been slaying bodies on low level duels and invasions with the glaive. Only thing is, I rarely use the weapon art. Can anyone recommend a better halberd?

It should be mentioned that I'm not a fan of the pokey move set the standard one has.

Rough Lobster fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So I'm still having a blast with the Drang Hammers, the weapon style and the normal swings all have similar windups but different execution times so it's really easy to bait-and-switch people and then punish the gently caress out of them. It's not super optimal like an Estoc or whatever but it's still a really great weapon, and the damage is excellent. The swings are really satisfying when they land, too.