Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
On my latest play-through I discovered the magic that is power-stancing greatclubs and never went back. Now I only use shields against long-range enemies and I just one-shot everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
out of all of the reasons I watch geop do LPs, gameplay mastery is not one of them

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Dennis is still an rear end in a top hat no matter how you play. When I first got to this area I thought I was being a smart cookie by jumping over the chasm to take out the archer dude. Then WHAM, soul greatsword to the face. I think this was about the point where on every death, I switched from "haha, good one, you really got me there" to "seriously, gently caress you, level designer".

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If Geop goes back there, I suggest looking around the doorway/start of the dark corridor for summon signs. Or if anyone playing along is there.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Just kick/shield bash/otherwise knock Dennis into a bottomless pit where he belongs. Gravity and parrying are the only sane ways to kill twink invaders and since Dennis is probably too twink for even parries to not be a bother--he has more health than a normal low-level human would from what I remember--gravity it is.

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015
It really seems like some changes to the two newbie areas and the tutorial zone is designed to make it clear to a new player that some areas are either optional or late game focused.

I mean, in the Forest alone, you have that knight sitting in front of that mysterious door and Dennis hanging around this unlockable (and right now unnecessary) part of the zone.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Demonstrate power
Engage magically
Negate healing
Nullify shields
Inspire fear
Stab repeatedly

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

jpublic posted:

It really seems like some changes to the two newbie areas and the tutorial zone is designed to make it clear to a new player that some areas are either optional or late game focused.

I mean, in the Forest alone, you have that knight sitting in front of that mysterious door and Dennis hanging around this unlockable (and right now unnecessary) part of the zone.

The problem is that unlike other obvious "come back later" guys like Black Knights and co., Dennis is an invader who you couldn't possibly know about until he's bearing down on you. It's kind of bullshit to expect a newbie to know how to deal with him.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dying is a perfectly acceptable way

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

dying is a perfectly acceptable way

This but unironically, given how organic death is in these games.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

This LP reminded me that this sidequest area even existed. I'm basically at endgame and had totally forgotten its existence. Needless to say I kinda steamrolled through there, Dennis included (even though he did take off half of my HP, gently caress Dennis).

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Dammit, I must have blown like 10 Cracked Red Eye Orbs trying to find Geop. No such luck.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/744387084526358531

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

I beat him as a Souls noob on my first playthrough by abusing the scaffolding ramp. After dying a bunch. I also lit the bonfire there so respawning wasn't an issue.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

The problem is that unlike other obvious "come back later" guys like Black Knights and co., Dennis is an invader who you couldn't possibly know about until he's bearing down on you. It's kind of bullshit to expect a newbie to know how to deal with him.

Yeah, it really sucks that there are such awful penalties for dying in Souls games. It totally discourages you from ever making mistakes that you could learn from.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 19, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Decus posted:

Just kick/shield bash/otherwise knock Dennis into a bottomless pit where he belongs. Gravity and parrying are the only sane ways to kill twink invaders and since Dennis is probably too twink for even parries to not be a bother--he has more health than a normal low-level human would from what I remember--gravity it is.

I killed Dennis with a completely fresh dagger and base mage physical stats. There's a really easy way to do it that is, unfortunately, never really explained well like a lot of things in this game but makes life so much easier and is so cool once you figure it out. Give 'em the slaps.

I don't blame Geop for not knowing it because like I said it's poorly explained, even if one of the voices in his head has been trying to teach it to him and be genuinely helpful! You'll never guess which one!

Edit: Also I thought that Geop going "peek!" as he looks around the corners going up the stairs was cute :3:

And double also, that staircase was changed for Scholar! In vanilla there were just more hollow soldiers there, not these new guys with their zweehanders

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 19, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fish Noise posted:

A spoiler graph to go with the death graph?

Genius.

Where's Neruz?

Oh god, now I want to post spoilers too now, but only of things that he's already done.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

And double also, that staircase was changed for Scholar! In vanilla there were just more hollow soldiers there, not these new guys with their zweehanders
:eng101: Those are standard greatswords, actually. The actual Dark Souls zweihander is a fair bit bigger, though it still has a ricasso like a number of larger swords in the Dark Souls games. (The ricasso is that part of the blade near the hilt that you'd not make sharp, because -it's not the proper spot of the weapon with which to hit someone and -to shorten your reach in close quarters you could just grab that with one hand for a half-sword grip.)

At some point I'd like to see combat in a game that incorporates those sorts of options on grip and whatnot, but I would guess that in exchange you'd have to do the Bloodborne thing of really polishing up just a few weapons.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 19, 2016

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
right, it's a flameburg, silly me

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

right, it's a flameburg, silly me

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

I don't blame Geop for not knowing it because like I said it's poorly explained, even if one of the voices in his head has been trying to teach it to him and be genuinely helpful! You'll never guess which one!

Yeah, the fact that you can instakill Dennis by jumping isn't really well known. Maybe more people should try it!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, it really sucks that there are such awful penalties for dying in Souls games. It totally discourages you from ever making mistakes that you could learn from.

I'd agree except DS2 actually does have penalties for dying, not to mention that it's the only game where you can be invaded in hollow state so Dennis himself will probably stop you from getting your souls back.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

I'd agree except DS2 actually does have penalties for dying, not to mention that it's the only game where you can be invaded in hollow state so Dennis himself will probably stop you from getting your souls back.

Sure and the penalties are very minor.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

And if I pull the hairs out of my head one at a time I'll never be bald, right?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The lowering max HP can be a bit tough when you're still new, but it's actually a blessing in disguise. See, you get to play through lots of early areas at 50 - 70% HP, learning how to survive with no health. Then when you get good, you can pop an Effigy to double your health and bam, game turns into easy-mode! But joke's on the game, I saw through the ruse and wisely just put on the Ring of Binding instead. Throughout my first playthrough I used about 8 - 10 Effigies total and ended with 47 in my inventory, checkmate SotFS :smuggo:

Wait...

E: guess it's the most minor spoiler

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 19, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

The lowering max HP can be a bit tough when you're still new, but it's actually a blessing in disguise. See, you get to play through lots of early areas at 50 - 70% HP, learning how to survive with no health. Then when you get good, you can pop an Effigy to double your health and bam, game turns into easy-mode! But joke's on the game, I saw through the ruse and wisely just put on the Ring of Binding instead. Throughout my first playthrough I used about 8 - 10 Effigies total and ended with 47 in my inventory, checkmate SotFS :smuggo:

Wait...

E: guess it's the most minor spoiler

You can also just use the small white sign soapstone and coop with someone for a few minutes. This restores your health, humanity, equipment durability and refills your estus flasks.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Andrast posted:

You can also just use the small white sign soapstone and coop with someone for a few minutes. This restores your health, humanity, equipment durability and refills your estus flasks.

Yup, I found this to be the easiest way. Too dead? Help somebody else not die for five minutes!

Not sure how useful that is to Geop, though, given the lower population these days.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Drawing by Yokaiy (@yoYokaiy) on Twitter :swoon:

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Geop posted:

drat, that's a sweet piece of art.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That is so good!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

Yes, but I wouldn't call the penalties particularly harsh. Basically there's only one wrong way to play Souls games, and that's to be afraid of dying.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

New spoiler policy should be if you get probated for a spoiler you must come back with sweet art.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes, but I wouldn't call the penalties particularly harsh. Basically there's only one wrong way to play Souls games, and that's to be afraid of dying.

If that was the only wrong way to play get gud would never have started, since nobody would be criticizing anybody else's play style. And I would say it's somewhat of a harsh penalty for dying, because it discourages exploration. You're generally killed by three things in this series. Either it's overconfidence, I found something new and haven't yet figured out how to deal with it, or it's a thing that killed you because you didn't know it was there. Two of these things are difficult to do without dying. If the game was balanced around having 50% or 60% health like Demon Souls was I wouldn't feel like it would be an issue.

Stormgale posted:

New spoiler policy should be if you get probated for a spoiler you must come back with sweet art.

Seconding the motion for this awesome idea.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
To post awesome art you must first get probated by posting a spoiler?

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Andrast posted:

The small white soapstone was an amazingly good addition to the game, and I was bitterly disappointed it wasn't in DS3. It's a shame the playercount of DS2 and SotFS is low enough that you aren't terribly likely to get summoned in the middle of areas with a small sign anymore.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PSWII60 posted:

If that was the only wrong way to play get gud would never have started, since nobody would be criticizing anybody else's play style. And I would say it's somewhat of a harsh penalty for dying, because it discourages exploration. You're generally killed by three things in this series. Either it's overconfidence, I found something new and haven't yet figured out how to deal with it, or it's a thing that killed you because you didn't know it was there. Two of these things are difficult to do without dying. If the game was balanced around having 50% or 60% health like Demon Souls was I wouldn't feel like it would be an issue.

OK, so how does being afraid of dying solve any of those things? Every death is a learning opportunity.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Fister Roboto posted:

OK, so how does being afraid of dying solve any of those things? Every death is a learning opportunity.

In this game it's not just a learning opportunity though, it's also a punishment. In Dark Souls 1 every death was a learning opportunity because you had the opportunity to get back to where you died at and regain everything that you lost, which should be doable considering you got there to begin with. Demon's Souls was the same way after your first death. The first death did knock you down to 50% health but considering that that's the help that the game was balanced around it made it feel like being at 100% health was a bonus rather than being at 50% was a hindrance. In this game yes you do have the same learning opportunity but every death means you're running back is now more difficult and if you didn't learn exactly what you needed to learn the first time you're punished even harder for it.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Geop posted:

This is amazing :3:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PSWII60 posted:

In this game it's not just a learning opportunity though, it's also a punishment. In Dark Souls 1 every death was a learning opportunity because you had the opportunity to get back to where you died at and regain everything that you lost, which should be doable considering you got there to begin with. Demon's Souls was the same way after your first death. The first death did knock you down to 50% health but considering that that's the help that the game was balanced around it made it feel like being at 100% health was a bonus rather than being at 50% was a hindrance. In this game yes you do have the same learning opportunity but every death means you're running back is now more difficult and if you didn't learn exactly what you needed to learn the first time you're punished even harder for it.

I think you're overplaying that penalty. It's only 5% HP per death, it caps at 50%, human effigies are plentiful and farmable, and there are even other ways to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
The HP-loss on death is not a big deal for me but I can see why other people would see it as a big penalty. It has more of a psychological effect than anything. Because after dying and losing a bit of HP you should be able to get back to where you were taking less damage anyway.

That said, I don't really like the mechanic that much but on the other hand I never had a problem with it. But that may be due to the fact that I played every Souls game several times and had a lot of cumulative skill between games that made the penalty a lighter hit, even once it stacks up.

• Locked thread