Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah I mean joking aside, the plot of the game actually involves them travelling to a different place. They don't have to worry about trying to make things work as though they exist in America when the game isn't taking place there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I mean joking aside, the plot of the game actually involves them travelling to a different place. They don't have to worry about trying to make things work as though they exist in America when the game isn't taking place there.

They might not have to worry about that, but they still have to worry about explaining all this stuff to the players. Fitting explanations for karuta and such into the existing text is bound to be pretty awkward unless they're able to add extra text boxes.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they should make the crazy assumption that the people who play their game are smart enough to spend 5 seconds googling something

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

time to poop this party, the PR for spirit of justice already said that kurain is "the far east", they can have whatever japanese culture they want in there and just have maya explain everything to nick like a child

This is one of the chapters that doesn't take place in Kurain, but back in Japan with Apollo and Athena.

Edit: The Kurain parts of the game are actually some of the easiest localizations in the series, because they're all about a strange culture the main character doesn't understand.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 19, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rakugo sounds like Rap Battle to me.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

orenronen posted:

This is the most minimal of spoilers, but it involves Rakugo theater, soba noodles, as well as the karuta card game, among other things. And to make it even harder, there are some case-related deep cultural references plus some choice "this is an integral part of our culture and legacy" quotes sprinkled throughout. And then there's some evidence involving wordplay too.

I am looking forward seeing Ace Attorney's strangely unfamiliar renditions of Broadway, hamburgers, and Texas hold'em. Which as we know were all invented in Los Angeles.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
The localizers will always find a way. They're geniuses.

I'm currently playing Trials and Tribulations, and I love the stupid pop culture references. I giggled like a madman at "immaterial girl". :allears:
also, Trials and Tribulations is the most gracefully plotted Ace Attorney game (that actually got a US translation), and it's impressive how elegantly it weaves together plotlines, and drops in information that won't be relevant until a couple cases later.
Cases 2 and 3 are the best "filler" cases, and I like how neither even bothers to hide who the killer is, and it's all about taking down a loathsome shitbird. The stunt Phoenix pulls at the end of 3 would almost certainly get a real life lawyer disbarred, though.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Spatula City posted:

The stunt Phoenix pulls at the end of 3 would almost certainly get a real life lawyer disbarred, though.

Is a couple months after that case enough for you?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

orenronen posted:

This is the most minimal of spoilers, but it involves Rakugo theater, soba noodles, as well as the karuta card game, among other things. And to make it even harder, there are some case-related deep cultural references plus some choice "this is an integral part of our culture and legacy" quotes sprinkled throughout. And then there's some evidence involving wordplay too.

This sounds like the most hell for any localization team imagineable, Jesus.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Capcom read that Awkward Zombie comic and really took it to heart

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Simon, where do you keep getting these Japanese things?"

"Direct from Nihon, gaijin swine."

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
"Kabuki plays became trendy not too long ago, the craze for them is pretty wild so they opened a theater just for them"
"It's Rakugo Theater, you uncultured swine-dono"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Eat your bento, Hosuki-dono."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rakugo is replaced with standup and Jugemu is replaced with the Seven Words You Can't Say On TV.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Spatula City posted:

The localizers will always find a way. They're geniuses.

I'm currently playing Trials and Tribulations, and I love the stupid pop culture references. I giggled like a madman at "immaterial girl". :allears:
also, Trials and Tribulations is the most gracefully plotted Ace Attorney game (that actually got a US translation), and it's impressive how elegantly it weaves together plotlines, and drops in information that won't be relevant until a couple cases later.
Cases 2 and 3 are the best "filler" cases, and I like how neither even bothers to hide who the killer is, and it's all about taking down a loathsome shitbird. The stunt Phoenix pulls at the end of 3 would almost certainly get a real life lawyer disbarred, though.

Cases 2 and 3 may be "filler" but they also contain some nice little foreshadowing. Namely, the Ami Fey statue and 7-Branch sword (Case 2), and then the fact that Godot can't see red on white (Redd White, haha) and that his visor glows in the dark, as well as the fact that Phoenix despises poisoners and betrayers above all else.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Cases 2 and 3 may be "filler" but they also contain some nice little foreshadowing. Namely, the Ami Fey statue and 7-Branch sword (Case 2), and then the fact that Godot can't see red on white (Redd White, haha) and that his visor glows in the dark, as well as the fact that Phoenix despises poisoners and betrayers above all else.

I think I appreciate the Redd White thing because no one ever explicitly points out the red on white connection. It's still pretty obvious, but I appreciate that it's sort of left to the player instead of the symbolism being beaten over your head.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Geniasis posted:

I think I appreciate the Redd White thing because no one ever explicitly points out the red on white connection. It's still pretty obvious, but I appreciate that it's sort of left to the player instead of the symbolism being beaten over your head.

It makes me wonder if the US localization team was planning that far ahead when they first did AA1, or if it's just the world's biggest coincidence.

I mean, I can't imagine that they ever would have thought that Weird Japanese Lawyer Game would ever become as popular as it did.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Isn't the pun just that he's Redd White of Bluecorp? Since he apparently uses really (deliberately) bad English in the Japanese version.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Last Celebration posted:

Isn't the pun just that he's Redd White of Bluecorp? Since he apparently uses really (deliberately) bad English in the Japanese version.

Yeah, but the the extra layer is that Godot can't see "red on white" thanks to his visor, and similarly part of his complex towards Phoenix stems from his inability to protect Mia (killed by Redd White).

Granted, he was in a coma at the time.

It has no bearing on the plot of the game, and if you never make that connection then you don't miss out on the story, but it is a neat little thing and like was said earlier, either a brilliant translation move or a demonstration of providence.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

It's very likely a coincidence.

The character's name in Japanese (as well as his company's name) has no connection to colors, so this was definitely not intended by Shu Takumi or any of his story assistants (if he even had any - I seem to recall that at least on AA1 the guy single-handedly wrote every line in the game). I really doubt any sort of planning for the future was made when they translated AA1 - it wasn't even the same localization team as the later games.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

They also tie into the game's main theme very strongly, since love is what leads to case 2 happening and ultimately a big part of what resolves case 3.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

...Is that Larry?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Capfalcon posted:

...Is that Larry?

Actually it's Miles Edgeworth, the defendant.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Capfalcon posted:

...Is that Larry?
No, that's Miles Edgeworth. It even says his name right there!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, the anime took a few liberties with character design. Not sure how I feel about it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, the anime took a few liberties with character design. Not sure how I feel about it.

von Karma looks weird.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was making a joke about the defendant Miles Edgeworth, not making a statement on the somewhat low production values of the anime itself. :v:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Yeah but that post just reminded me of how much von Karma's anime design unnerves me and I had to get it out.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

So, yeah, the writing team for AA6 doesn't give a gently caress that the game has to be localized. I've already mentioned case 4, which is as bad as it ever got in the series for obviously taking place in Japan and having lots and lots of very specific Japanese culture story elements. Yesterday I ran into one more thing. Very light spoilers ahead, especially since this puzzle will have to be completely overhauled for the western release.

You meet a public figure. His name is prominently displayed on posters and such, where his first name is spelled in hiragana (later, the characters remark that he chose to do so because it would be difficult to know what the proper reading is from the kanji). Later, at trial, you're presented with an official letter the guy wrote, signed with his legal name, all in kanji. You then have to present evidence showing an email correspondence, where the sender's email address is an alternate, much more common reading of the same kanji name, to assert he may have written the email as well.

If I had to guess on how they'll handle it, I'd say a middle name will be used for a similar, though not quite the same for what player-observation is required, effect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

orenronen posted:

So, yeah, the writing team for AA6 doesn't give a gently caress that the game has to be localized. I've already mentioned case 4, which is as bad as it ever got in the series for obviously taking place in Japan and having lots and lots of very specific Japanese culture story elements. Yesterday I ran into one more thing. Very light spoilers ahead, especially since this puzzle will have to be completely overhauled for the western release.

You meet a public figure. His name is prominently displayed on posters and such, where his first name is spelled in hiragana (later, the characters remark that he chose to do so because it would be difficult to know what the proper reading is from the kanji). Later, at trial, you're presented with an official letter the guy wrote, signed with his legal name, all in kanji. You then have to present evidence showing an email correspondence, where the sender's email address is an alternate, much more common reading of the same kanji name, to assert he may have written the email as well.

If I had to guess on how they'll handle it, I'd say a middle name will be used for a similar, though not quite the same for what player-observation is required, effect.

I wonder if someone in the Japanese office is intentionally trying to piss off the translators.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I imagine it's like when Nomura designed Lulu in FFX as a direct challenge to the FMV animators, and they were just like "gently caress you, man."

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

they were amused by Japanifornia and want to see how they solve the localization issues, which is a puzzle in itself.

In any case, what do you think of the game so far oren?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
That sounds dope

If it were up to me I'd make the artist be some random nationality with a fairly complex name for english readers, specifically with a name that somehow has something like two v together, then when you get the email it's in a different font and it's clearly a w there, leading to the inconsistency

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also a question for Oren. Does Rayfa remain antagonistic the entire game.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also a question for Oren. Does Rayfa remain antagonistic the entire game.

She's not a real antagonist from the very beginning. Her character's a very straightly played tsundere type who shows her softer side on a regular basis. She's also the main "assistant" character in the investigation phases of the Phoenix chapters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

orenronen posted:

She's not a real antagonist from the very beginning. Her character's a very straightly played tsundere type who shows her softer side on a regular basis. She's also the main "assistant" character in the investigation phases of the Phoenix chapters.

Interesting I thought that was Maya. Thanks.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Finally done with AA6.

Short version: It's a pretty good AA game. Not without its issues, but I think I enjoyed it more than I did 5.

Longer notes: There are real spoilers below. I'm not going deep into the actual plot, but I go into some things that are not in trailers.

- First things first, this is, once again, an Apollo story - even more so than 5 was. Phoenix is very much a supporting character, while Apollo gets a whole arc with a conclusion and a status quo change. This is pretty amazing considering he actually only appears (and is playable) in two out of the game's five chapters (though, to be honest, together they probably make more than half of the game). For reference, Phoenix appears in three chapters (playable in two of them), and Athena is the playable character in the remaining chapter, where she's (sort of) alone in court.
- Maya does return, but she doesn't have that much screen time and doesn't do all that much. The first chapter she's in she's the defendant, and the other chapter she's in she's also not on screen most of the time for plot-related reasons. She does provide the game's best sequence, does.
- As for other returning characters, Ema is actually on screen a whole lot - she's one of two characters that appear in 4 of the 5 chapters (everyone else gets less screen time than that). Trucy gets her own nice story in chapter 2. Edgeworth appears for a while and then disappears without really doing much. Pearl is there for exactly 5 minutes - enough time to tell a lie for no apparent reason so Apollo has a chance to use his twitch-vision that chapter.
- Speaking of twitch-vision, this game has every single mechanic from every AA game ever. You want Psych-locks? Dusting for fingerprints? Athena's counseling? They're all here. The fingerprint stuff is as annoying as it has ever been - easily the worst part of the game.
- The two main arc chapters (3 and 5) both feel like epic endgame stuff. The final chapter caught me off guard because I was pretty sure I had a good grasp on where the case and story was going and then the game threw a few curveballs, including some of the most implausible events ever seen in the series. It was really fun.
- That said -- and this only came to me after I've finished -- this main arc of this game kind of recycles the basic plot of an older AA game. And there's more stuff that feel like deliberate rehashes of stuff that happened in older games (sometimes the game even reminds us of them). I wonder what's up with that.
- As I said before, chapter 4 (which is kind of throwaway and has nothing to do with anything else in the game) is the now traditional "let's gently caress with the translators" chapter.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-n_Rvgs9f4

New english trailer
THE UNITED STATESwithout their boss around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Does Maya's face look off on her model to anyone else? I'm almost reminded of Layton vs Wright for some reason.

Also seeing her do the exact same poses as she used to is kinda lame. I figured that would be the case after Pearl, but it seems kind of lazy to me.

• Locked thread