Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's totally in a swamp at first then it slowly gets turned into a desolate Mars landscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WoW. Just WoW.

Any time orcs are on screen, Warcraft is tolerable and intermittently almost good; any time a human is on screen it's like visiting the dentist. Luckily for everyone, it feels like humans have about 75% of the run-time.

There's a lot to unpack as far as things that didn't work. Someone apparently told Travis Fimmel to play Lothar as a creepy dick. I would buy him as a child molester. As a general symbol of how inartful this whole affair is, there's a scene at the end where he's lit green and pulling a madman face while trying to reason with someone's sanity.

As for Khadgar, more like Bhadgar. The acting all around is wooden and everyone is telling, not showing. Established human actors are all rolling a vaguely European accent; extras and actors punching above their weight fall back on a jarring American accent.

It's difficult to capture all the ways in which Garona is awful, but this character is generally the ingredient to make any scene horrible. She looks and acts like a lovely cosplay and doesn't work on any level.

Action sequences are uneven and don't really make sense. There's no real physical continuity between cuts; characters warp around or twiddle their thumbs for extended periods off-screen. The shot placement is unimaginative and sometimes even counter-productive. We've got mostly CG characters in a CG environment; you can shoot them from interesting angles to create a sense of space that can't be achieved on a physical set. This movie doesn't bother. The CG environments are largely OK, but things seem to break down as the movie continues, until the human characters in particular are shooting dialogue with a brick wall straight out of Myst as backdrop.

The first and second acts are slow with some unintentionally funny moments sprinkled in, but this is all a fairly pedestrian bad movie until about the last 20 minutes, where the plot chokes. Suddenly everything is square peg/round-holed to establish Chris Metzen's basic universe plotting at that point in the games, and in short order there are about four or five developments that make no sense at all. Small children were walking out of the theater and commenting on how little sense this made.

The orcs also suffer from plot contrivances but are on the whole about a hundred times more interesting and convincing than the humans, and it looks like literally all the creative effort went into their sequences. I would watch a Durotan/Orgrim Doomhammer buddy movie. It's obvious that the writing for the Warcraft universe over the years has focused mainly on the orcs and largely ignored any non-Satanic humans, and the humans here are just paper-thin, coming as they do from the part of the story summed up as "all the humans died." When humans are dying on screen, that's about the only time they're interesting.

It's not a difficult story to follow even if you've never played Warcraft, but either way you'll be disappointed at how ineffectively they tell the most basic story elements. You should have stayed in development hell where you belonged, Warcraft.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Trollipop posted:

I saw this last night and I shamelessly enjoyed it. I would be totally confused though and probably uninterested if I went in knowing nothing about the warcraft universe

I went into it with hardly any knowledge about the warcraft universe but I had no problem following the film. I couldn't remember the name of most of the main characters by the end but you didn't really need to know that in order to tell what was going on.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Yeah, in Warlords of Draenor the lovely Mars zone from Burning Crusade is revealed to have been, originally, a rich jungle forest.

It's something little in the movie that I liked, there were Orcs that actually put two and two together that realized wherever Guldan walked/magic'd/stopped to piss, everything died.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

WoW. Just WoW.

Any time orcs are on screen, Warcraft is tolerable and intermittently almost good; any time a human is on screen it's like visiting the dentist. Luckily for everyone, it feels like humans have about 75% of the run-time.

There's a lot to unpack as far as things that didn't work. Someone apparently told Travis Fimmel to play Lothar as a creepy dick. I would buy him as a child molester. As a general symbol of how inartful this whole affair is, there's a scene at the end where he's lit green and pulling a madman face while trying to reason with someone's sanity.

As for Khadgar, more like Bhadgar. The acting all around is wooden and everyone is telling, not showing. Established human actors are all rolling a vaguely European accent; extras and actors punching above their weight fall back on a jarring American accent.

It's difficult to capture all the ways in which Garona is awful, but this character is generally the ingredient to make any scene horrible. She looks and acts like a lovely cosplay and doesn't work on any level.

Action sequences are uneven and don't really make sense. There's no real physical continuity between cuts; characters warp around or twiddle their thumbs for extended periods off-screen. The shot placement is unimaginative and sometimes even counter-productive. We've got mostly CG characters in a CG environment; you can shoot them from interesting angles to create a sense of space that can't be achieved on a physical set. This movie doesn't bother. The CG environments are largely OK, but things seem to break down as the movie continues, until the human characters in particular are shooting dialogue with a brick wall straight out of Myst as backdrop.

The first and second acts are slow with some unintentionally funny moments sprinkled in, but this is all a fairly pedestrian bad movie until about the last 20 minutes, where the plot chokes. Suddenly everything is square peg/round-holed to establish Chris Metzen's basic universe plotting at that point in the games, and in short order there are about four or five developments that make no sense at all. Small children were walking out of the theater and commenting on how little sense this made.

The orcs also suffer from plot contrivances but are on the whole about a hundred times more interesting and convincing than the humans, and it looks like literally all the creative effort went into their sequences. I would watch a Durotan/Orgrim Doomhammer buddy movie. It's obvious that the writing for the Warcraft universe over the years has focused mainly on the orcs and largely ignored any non-Satanic humans, and the humans here are just paper-thin, coming as they do from the part of the story summed up as "all the humans died." When humans are dying on screen, that's about the only time they're interesting.

It's not a difficult story to follow even if you've never played Warcraft, but either way you'll be disappointed at how ineffectively they tell the most basic story elements. You should have stayed in development hell where you belonged, Warcraft.

I'm usually surprised by how much I like stuff that gets poo poo on. The first Transformers movie was fantastic - well paced, funny, well acted, great score, etc.

This was not that movie. This movie feels like a sloppy mess. I don't really understand how DJ hosed it up this hard.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

oswald ownenstein posted:

I'm usually surprised by how much I like stuff that gets poo poo on. The first Transformers movie was fantastic - well paced, funny, well acted, great score, etc.

This was not that movie. This movie feels like a sloppy mess. I don't really understand how DJ hosed it up this hard.

I think most people liked the first transformers movie. It was the second one that really dropped the turd.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
nsfw

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 26, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

oswald ownenstein posted:

And of course casting people that aren't 30-35 in all the key roles - even in the first war Lothar was a Barristan Selmy type.

Exception: Medivh. It's bugging the poo poo out of me that so many people are complaining about him looking 30-something. He's a loving wizard who literally takes baths in pure magic, and nobody has at any point thought "Well, I guess magic keeps him young". They just start whinging because he's not Ian McKellen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The scene where the two orcs are sitting on the hill looking over the Horde base and one of them starts idly flicking stones at the other was really good and did a lot to "humanize" them. Similarly the scene of Durotan and his wife gently teasing each other at the start of the film was kinda sweet.

I've now detailed all the positive things I took from this movie.

(I lied, there's also a scene where a Murloc in the foreground for the briefest of moments goes,"Errrggg-uhhh-reee-arhhhhh gurgle ahhhh!" and that was fun.)

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Jedit posted:

Exception: Medivh. It's bugging the poo poo out of me that so many people are complaining about him looking 30-something. He's a loving wizard who literally takes baths in pure magic, and nobody has at any point thought "Well, I guess magic keeps him young". They just start whinging because he's not Ian McKellen.

It's because 99% of people only remember him from the Warcraft 3 cinematics that take place 30 years later and he's an old man. In WoW he looks like this for the dungeon where you go back in time to when the Dark Portal opened.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jedit posted:

I think the complaint is less specific to him and more that the whole movie seems to be cast in a strangely narrow range of ages and that he just makes a good place to point at since he's an actor that is slightly younger than his own daughter in the movie. It's like some weird "everyone is 33" universe.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I actually thought Medhiv looked older than everyone else. He had a daughter in the film?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gianthogweed posted:

I actually thought Medhiv looked older than everyone else. He had a daughter in the film?

I feel like the fact that 90% of people seemed to have missed an entire scene of him explaining he was green girl's dad is almost entirely attributable to the fact he's younger than his own daughter.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The sad part is I don't think Garona understood, so it was a pointless scene for the audience to go hehehehehe how do orcs and humans make babies?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jerusalem posted:

The scene where the two orcs are sitting on the hill looking over the Horde base and one of them starts idly flicking stones at the other was really good and did a lot to "humanize" them. Similarly the scene of Durotan and his wife gently teasing each other at the start of the film was kinda sweet.

I've now detailed all the positive things I took from this movie.

(I lied, there's also a scene where a Murloc in the foreground for the briefest of moments goes,"Errrggg-uhhh-reee-arhhhhh gurgle ahhhh!" and that was fun.)

Excuse me, but I think you'll find that's "Mrglmrglmrgl!"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how would orcs and humans produce children they don't even exist in the same dimension let alone universe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's actually not said that Ganora is half human. Just that she is half orc. It's strongly implied that she is half human though and we will have to wait for the sequels to cover this. Being that this is Warcraft though I fully expect the next film to retcon everything.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I went into it with hardly any knowledge about the warcraft universe but I had no problem following the film. I couldn't remember the name of most of the main characters by the end but you didn't really need to know that in order to tell what was going on.

Yeah, people have commented on how confusing it would be to people who don't know the lore, but as someone who doesn't it all made as much sense as any other fantasy movie. I wonder what exactly we're supposed to have missed.

Groovelord Neato posted:

how would orcs and humans produce children they don't even exist in the same dimension let alone universe.

During the conversation that implies Garona is his daughter, he talks about his travels. So, the implication is that those travels included a trip to the orc dimension.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no i mean they wouldn't be able to interbreed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is a high fantasy universe, everyone's dick is compatible.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Doesn't seem any different than people from different continents interbreeding :shrug:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what no.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

why not

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

are you of the Tolkien school of "dusky skinned peoples"=orcs?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

are you of the Tolkien school of "dusky skinned peoples"=orcs?

Not exactly, but they're obviously just people.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 19, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!
It doesn't make any less sense than Elrond Half-Elven. Or his spirit brother Spock, who is actually half-Vulcan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Forget that orcs are from another dimension, humans in Warcraft are devolved robots, originally a race of alien constructs built of gold and iron that were cursed by totally-not-Cthulu into becoming flesh rather than metal, degenerating from guardian warrior-constructs into viking giants, and eventually degenerating from there into the tiny, physically frail humans.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Forget that orcs are from another dimension, humans in Warcraft are devolved robots, originally a race of alien constructs built of gold and iron that were cursed by totally-not-Cthulu into becoming flesh rather than metal, degenerating from guardian warrior-constructs into viking giants, and eventually degenerating from there into the tiny, physically frail humans.

Which is to say, trying to think about what logically should be possible from the perspective of modern genetics is a fool's errand.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cythereal posted:

if i've said it once i've said it a thousand times: gently caress metzen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'll say this, the king's helmet is loving hilarious and maybe the best thing about the movie.

This thread made me go back and read the story from Warcraft II:

http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/misc/Warcraft%202%20Battlenet%20edition.PDF

I still prefer this (page 58) to the whole "displaced Native Americans" thing.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
is a sequel confirmed yet?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Silly movie. Gave me a splitting headache.

The second half was alright once everything was established, but the establishment was pretty bad. It could've used another 15 minutes or so at the start in Draenor setting up Gul'dan's rise and maybe mentioning the whole Mannoroth thing.

Maybe devote the first 20-30 minutes to that, then slam to Azeroth and give it a bit more breathing room before they realise they're being invaded. Basically give the movie another 30 minutes or so and avoid jumping between the two sides at the beginning. And show Grom.

Gianthogweed posted:

I think most people liked the first transformers movie.

Really?

stev fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 20, 2016

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Successful videogame movie confirmed.

I think the best way to salvage the ending would've been the razing of Stormwind. It would've been a nice downerending making the lack of resolutions a lot less bad.

Did it bother anyone else that the orcs usually looked great bit then certain scenes Draka suddenly decided to do the robot to move.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It was all sort of written as a downer ending, but it comes off as just plainly ridiculous with no character investment to pay off on.

I'm much more impressed by movies that know what they are, like Percy Jackson or Gods of Egypt, and hit those notes reasonably well. Percy Jackson is shot like a lovely TV show, but it's never lacking for things going on and being zany. You could use the second act of Warcraft to torture Guantanamo prisoners. The audience for this is people who don't care how good or sensible something is as long as it is about Warcraft. Tons of reviews in this thread of "Well this was pretty much useless but it had orcs in it, so I thought it was good."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It was all sort of written as a downer ending, but it comes off as just plainly ridiculous with no character investment to pay off on.

I'm much more impressed by movies that know what they are, like Percy Jackson or Gods of Egypt, and hit those notes reasonably well. Percy Jackson is shot like a lovely TV show, but it's never lacking for things going on and being zany. You could use the second act of Warcraft to torture Guantanamo prisoners. The audience for this is people who don't care how good or sensible something is as long as it is about Warcraft. Tons of reviews in this thread of "Well this was pretty much useless but it had orcs in it, so I thought it was good."
It wasn't a very good downer ending. Blackhand died, invasion was foiled, yes the king is dead but the humans now have a sympathetic orc in the horde.
Meanwhile the worst orc lost the faith of the horde while the human alliance was formed. The humans are better off than when the movie started and technically so are the orcs.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Darth TNT posted:

Meanwhile the worst orc lost the faith of the horde while the human alliance was formed. The humans are better off than when the movie started and technically so are the orcs.

The worst orc lost the faith of the horde when Durotan died but it didn't seem to matter whatsoever since he can make the green ones explode at will.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Just saw this, thought it was surprisingly middling. Not quite bad enough to be gripping, not quite good enough to be fun.

Some lines are awful, like the son's character calling his father 'Dad' despite other characters speaking vaguely ye olde. Khadgar's actor was cold garbage and the three other male leads (the general, the king and the wizard) all seem to be the same age despite one apparently being old enough to have an adult daughter.

The Orc stuff looked great (in 2D) while the Human stuff looked pretty boring. Funny how they put 'Stormwind' in a title card as if that matters to the audience. Visiting the flying magic zone for 40 seconds was silly. The hyper-saturated 100% green for the bad magic was really silly looking and could've been toned down.

There's heaps of stuff in there for fans, like the black box - Mecca - which contains Glenn Close (who has one half of a scene) - makes no sense to me. Khadgar goes in, has a chat and apparently learns a lesson in metaphor which helps him ... not resolve the movie in any meaningful way.

Storywise this was a mess. It ends on a fairly down note, I guess. The bad guy isn't really exterminated and one of the heroic leads is killed off.. I guess everyone ends up in a better place, but the conflict is not resolved at all. I guess that's in the next film.

Speak of the sequel, gently caress that loving Moses stuff. Points back for the mental image of the mother adorning the reed boat with tusks for some reason. I guess she wasn't in a rush?

Overall, it felt like I'd needed to play the games and watch the movie, and read a book to appreciate fully. Any movie that requires homework is bad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hmm I feel like they went further with the 'deep lore' stuff than they really needed to. Madivh and the Kirin Tor should've been pushed to the background and Khadgar should've either been completely re-written, replaced or removed. It got in the way and I doubt even the hardcore fans would have minded too much if they brought the focus back to the orcs and humans.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Maybe they'll fast track a sequel to Pandaland since China seems to be the only place where this movie did well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That would depend on if China would be offended by stereotypes based on their culture.

• Locked thread