Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can Ciri take Witcher Potions without side effects? I watched the Witcher Ciri ending for Blood and Wine and she mentioned downing some Black Blood to beat her Vampire contract. Now her Elder Blood is powerful, but is it that powerful to bypass the need for Trials of the Grasses?

I heard (on le reddit, admittedly) that's a mistranslation. Apparently the polish version is that she just let the vampire drink a bit so she had an opportunity to stab it or something.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not much though; Triss put a stop to it before they permanently wrecked her hormone balance. They're usually pretty specific about the vicious effects potions have on the body, so that line stuck out to me.

Yeah there's no way she could drink Black Blood, which literally turns your blood into poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
What will Blood & Wine go on sale for during the Steam summer sale, like 17.99? Gettin' excited here, beat HoS and enjoyed it even if it was a bit short. Finished at level 38, is this fine to start B&W at? Debating on playing more this week or just waiting for the sale, I already have mastercrafted Griffin set so I don't know what to do other than maybe go collect all the other ones for fun. Also have yet to do that free DLC town of pigs quest.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

extra stout posted:

What will Blood & Wine go on sale for during the Steam summer sale, like 17.99? Gettin' excited here, beat HoS and enjoyed it even if it was a bit short. Finished at level 38, is this fine to start B&W at? Debating on playing more this week or just waiting for the sale, I already have mastercrafted Griffin set so I don't know what to do other than maybe go collect all the other ones for fun. Also have yet to do that free DLC town of pigs quest.

It's worth the price of a full game. Give CDPR all your money so maybe I can get more Witcher games.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh I need all the gold for upgrades now that I'm getting level a million items. Can't go from glowing rune sword to plain Jane gear. How are you guys making 10000+ gold?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Jack Trades posted:

I am considering starting a playthrough of all the Witcher games in order, since I never played Witcher 1 and barely remembered poo poo from 2 when playing 3.

Does anyone know if there are any choices that you make in Witcher 1 that will affect Witcher 3?

not choices but i heard having a save from witcher 1 through to 2 affects one quest in b&w but i don't know how true that it. it looks like it since i did that quest fairly early and didn't have to do virtue trials and got the sword straight away so who knows.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Vikar Jerome posted:

not choices but i heard having a save from witcher 1 through to 2 affects one quest in b&w but i don't know how true that it. it looks like it since i did that quest fairly early and didn't have to do virtue trials and got the sword straight away so who knows.

I think this was debunked as something that just happened because people started the B&W quest after they had already performed the actions necessary to complete all five tasks. Personally, I've carried a save all the way from w1 where I did the relevant quest, and I still had to complete the tasks in B&W

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Vikar Jerome posted:

Can't be true, I never played the 1st two (saves wouldn't carry to xbox anyway) and I got the sword right off, I'd just done a lot of stuff in B&W before getting to that part.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
The lack of carry over from Witcher 1 is one of the only things that really stands out as CDPR dropping the ball. I am not asking for a ton of carry over, and I think despite not getting to see favorite characters from 1 or 2 like Ioverth or Saskia, they did a pretty good job. If Geralt is traveling a war-torn world, threads are going to get dropped and characters will disappear. But I find it kinda odd that a character who could potentially get killed in Witcher 1 makes an appearance, and there was no attempt to even accommodate players that may have let him die in Witcher 1.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Really economy wise I think the game is fine, my only complaint is the runewright was nowhere near worth the tens of thousands of coin I put into him. IIRC it was like 40k and all I got out of it was the reflect damage enchantment which I'm not convinced does anything too great.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Digirat posted:

Is it possible to mod the music in this game so that I can enjoy the pam pa ram dubstep remix at all times

This absolutely needs to be an Easter Egg in Cyberpunk 2077.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

JetsGuy posted:

Really economy wise I think the game is fine, my only complaint is the runewright was nowhere near worth the tens of thousands of coin I put into him. IIRC it was like 40k and all I got out of it was the reflect damage enchantment which I'm not convinced does anything too great.

I found only using the Rend/Whirl range increase enchantment, and the one that pops up a free Quen shield when entering combat. Money well spent I guess.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I got the one where alternate Yirden generates normal Yirden when hitting, which is awesome.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

l33t b4c0n posted:

The lack of carry over from Witcher 1 is one of the only things that really stands out as CDPR dropping the ball. I am not asking for a ton of carry over, and I think despite not getting to see favorite characters from 1 or 2 like Ioverth or Saskia, they did a pretty good job. If Geralt is traveling a war-torn world, threads are going to get dropped and characters will disappear. But I find it kinda odd that a character who could potentially get killed in Witcher 1 makes an appearance, and there was no attempt to even accommodate players that may have let him die in Witcher 1.

Due to having only played the opening sequence of Witcher 1 to the point of getting to the village (game mechanics did not agree with me), which character is this?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rolling Scissors posted:

I found only using the Rend/Whirl range increase enchantment, and the one that pops up a free Quen shield when entering combat. Money well spent I guess.

I'm rocking this with my GM Ursine stuff and all the Quen talents/intensity I can muster. It's a real good use of cash IMO.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rend range is baller against large monsters

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

WirelessPillow posted:

Due to having only played the opening sequence of Witcher 1 to the point of getting to the village (game mechanics did not agree with me), which character is this?

Thaler, temerian spy and famous weird bald man

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Hm well I don't use quen so that's probably part of it. /Shrug

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

Hm well I don't use quen so that's probably part of it. /Shrug

:catstare:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Real talk, Quen is the second least useful sign after Igni. It makes you crutch, and eventually enemy hits will start just blasting through it. Axii and Yrden are better uses of your stamina/adrenaline.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

My opinion on quen is well recorded in this thread. :colbert:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

wiegieman posted:

Real talk, Quen is the second least useful sign after Igni. It makes you crutch, and eventually enemy hits will start just blasting through it. Axii and Yrden are better uses of your stamina/adrenaline.

To be fair I played most of the vanilla game before the igni nerf but I almost exclusively use igni even in NG+ and the expansions.

The only difference now is that it lights your foes on fire which gives you ample time to slice them to bits. It's super useful in groups too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

To be fair I have avoided Igni for years since people have talked about how game breaking it is in every game since the first. I tend to go with light armor and sword buffs and do damage through swords exclusively. I mostly use quen and yrden but I've been putting points into AArd after getting the potion healing skill up.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

wiegieman posted:

...huh? Quen always blocks at least one hit. And Quen is very useful if you're not tanky, I've been doing NG+ with cat school gear and I've been getting oneshot a lot lately (which is why I'm going to switch to ursine the moment I can). And Igni with a sign build easily stunlocks anything flammable to death, and you can easily hit multiple enemies with it. With high enough sign intensity, the enemies will stay on fire long enough that you can Igni someone else while they're burning and still regen the stamina back in time to set the original guy on fire again before they stop burning.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Arglebargle III posted:

To be fair I have avoided Igni for years since people have talked about how game breaking it is in every game since the first. I tend to go with light armor and sword buffs and do damage through swords exclusively. I mostly use quen and yrden but I've been putting points into AArd after getting the potion healing skill up.

This was my first Witcher game but for all the talk of how igni "trivializes" the game, all the talk about quen certainly makes it seem like it trivialized it too so whatever.

Staltran posted:

With high enough sign intensity, the enemies will stay on fire long enough that you can Igni someone else while they're burning and still regen the stamina back in time to set the original guy on fire again before they stop burning.

Yuppppp. Hence why though I'm a swordsman build I use Griffon gear.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I also have a glass cannon build and tend to end fights quickly. Bosses are trouble because of their huge hp pool and I either use quen or need a nearly perfect fight. Just got the potion healing skill up so that should improve my life span in boss fights.

Hence why is redundant btw.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

l33t b4c0n posted:

to be fair if you let thaler die in witcher 1 you're a loving failure of a human being

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Arglebargle III posted:

Hence why is redundant btw.

Here's where I show just how out of the loop I am with the forum and realize that the grammar nazi emote has been gone for years.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone know of a good guide on which Alchemy skills are good and which bad? I thought I knew but then someone informed me that Delayed Recovery is really good for example (I thought it referred to overall toxicity, not just the toxicity introduced by that potion)

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

BBJoey posted:

to be fair if you let thaler die in witcher 1 you're a loving failure of a human being

I know, right? It was so obvious that the guy who wanted you to kill Thaler was lying.

Anyway, unrelated question. There is a monster den near the Holy Lake (the lake that Lebioda adherents toss their stuff into, not the one with the hermit and the sword.) There is a fleder and a garkain in it along with a dead guy with a diary talking about caving. High up in the cave is a ledge with an illusion but I cannot see a way to get up there. Does this become accessible later in the main quest or what? Is there another entrance? What's up with this?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

While I'm here, is there a certain story event after which I can / should actually buy HoS and B&W?

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

BBJoey posted:

I'm not going to disagree at all, and it's not a problem for me since my Witcher 1 save has him alive. I just find it odd that CDPR brought him back with little attempt to cater to the handful of miserable piles of poo poo that may have been importing a scrub-rear end save file from Witcher 1 to Witcher 2 and then into 3.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

While I'm here, is there a certain story event after which I can / should actually buy HoS and B&W?

Without spoling anything: there's a point during the main story in which the game warns you about saving before entering an area because there's no going back. When you get to that you can choose not to enter the area and do all your sidestuff, which is also a good time to do HoS.

B&W is meant to be played after you finish the main game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Det_no posted:

Without spoling anything: there's a point during the main story in which the game warns you about saving before entering an area because there's no going back. When you get to that you can choose not to enter the area and do all your sidestuff, which is also a good time to do HoS.

B&W is meant to be played after you finish the main game.

This should be in the OP, considering how often that question gets asked.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sounds good. Might as well ask the other probably common one: they don't add any New poo poo outside of their respective areas/content, right, so no reason to buy them before you're ready to get started on their stories?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Sounds good. Might as well ask the other probably common one: they don't add any New poo poo outside of their respective areas/content, right, so no reason to buy them before you're ready to get started on their stories?

Correct, the base game and each DLC are self-contained. There are a few references to your decisions, but you will miss ZERO content.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So the Steam sale will be on this week and I'm guessing Wild Hunt will be going for 25-30 euro. What's the compressed file size that downloads?

I'd have better broadband, but it's illegal to burn down signal-blocking woodland in Ireland unless I'm Denis O'Brien.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I thought they fixed that silly bug that causes Roach's tail to disappear, but going back to Skellige broke it again. Her mane also got all weird, either not appearing at all, or just showing the upper part, making her look like one of Olgierd's not-Cossacks. Must have something to do with the Undvik saddle I used before the Ofieri one.

CDPR fix my horse! :argh:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

It's worth the price of a full game. Give CDPR all your money so maybe I can get more Witcher games.

CD Project Red pretty much said they're done with The Witcher, if not for now for good. Makes me sad, I just got into The witcher.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
On the contrary, if they're out of ideas for the Witcher franchise, I applaud them for moving on instead of milking it for more than it's worth.

(as long as Ciri appears in Cyberpunk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's okay they can continue the story in the Gwent game. Of course that means Geralt will defeat the next big bad with cards.