Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

No under your own seat storage?

No, row 2 takes the space under your seat. The bulkhead isn't exactly roomy either. The only good thing is that you can stick your feet out into the aisle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Of course, duh. :downs:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

No, row 2 takes the space under your seat. The bulkhead isn't exactly roomy either. The only good thing is that you can stick your feet out into the aisle.

How tall are you? On a 700/900 unless you are well over six foot you aren't gonna need to stick you feet out in to the aisle from A1. It isn't unlimited space or anything but there's a good 16-18 inches of legroom. If that's tight for you then every single domestic seat is gonna be tight.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

5'11 with a 32" inseam. I split the difference, row 1 on one leg and row 3 on the other.

I think it might have been a 700 on the United connector I flew a couple years ago, and we were in Row 1 first, and it was quite nice. Lack of entertainment was probably the worse thing but chatting with the flight attendant and getting half cut while doing it made it go quite well.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

How tall are you? On a 700/900 unless you are well over six foot you aren't gonna need to stick you feet out in to the aisle from A1. It isn't unlimited space or anything but there's a good 16-18 inches of legroom. If that's tight for you then every single domestic seat is gonna be tight.

6'3".

1A is OK. I still end up sticking my foot out into the aisle though. 1C sucks during boarding with everyone running right into your seat.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 16, 2016

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
So I guess I have just been getting lucky, but on my flight with delta today the gate attendant told me I couldn't have a backpack, roller and my garment bag with 2 suits in it. They made me check my roller. Is this just a nazi gate attendant or will I start getting more and more denials?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Think you just drew the short straw. Done the same thing with no issues. Usually I wouldn't see a gate agent making a fuss unless it's something more obvious, like a passenger trying to bring a backpack and 2 rollers, or a fat roller that clearly doesn't fit the measurement bin.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fyallm posted:

So I guess I have just been getting lucky, but on my flight with delta today the gate attendant told me I couldn't have a backpack, roller and my garment bag with 2 suits in it. They made me check my roller. Is this just a nazi gate attendant or will I start getting more and more denials?

Front or back of the house?

Usually you get a pass on a garment bag in the front since they can put it in the closet.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Front or back of the house?

Usually you get a pass on a garment bag in the front since they can put it in the closet.

I was delta comfort, but I didn't even get that far, was the delta agent scanning tickets she saw the garmet bag on the roller. I told her I would just store it in the closet and she went on some tirade about flight agents getting fined for more than 2 items blah blah...

I checked my roller, got on the plane and they hung my garmet bag in the closet..

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

fyallm posted:

Sorry but why should they let you through with clearly 3 items? Especially if you're not first?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

sellouts posted:

Sorry but why should they let you through with clearly 3 items? Especially if you're not first?

They don't have to. I was just asking if that always happend. I have been flying for a few months and never have had that happen.

Since it is being hung in the closet I am not taking any room in the overhead bin. And if first class fills up the closet I can stuff it under the seat in front. I have seen one coat in the closet so far since January.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Should've opened up the garment bag, put both suits on and then stuffed the bag in your backpack.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Should've opened up the garment bag, put both suits on and then stuffed the bag in your backpack.

Haha I thought about that, but the airport was hot as poo poo. And it didn't bother me to check my roller for free.

I was just asking if this was going to be a regular occcurance or if this was the exception.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

fyallm posted:

Haha I thought about that, but the airport was hot as poo poo. And it didn't bother me to check my roller for free.

I was just asking if this was going to be a regular occcurance or if this was the exception.

At DCA all the carriers have been over the intercom constantly with the "you are only allowed 2 carry ons please consolidate or come to the desk to check" I wonder if they're being checked for it more regularly now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fyallm posted:

Planes aren't getting less crowded and it's not getting cheaper to check bags so yes, you will continue to see carryon allowances shrink and be more strictly enforced.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Midjack posted:

Planes aren't getting less crowded and it's not getting cheaper to check bags so yes, you will continue to see carryon allowances shrink and be more strictly enforced.

With the rise of business causal the amount of suits and garment bags hanging is dwindling.

I will try it again next week and see.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm so sick of lovely Hilton hotels on my lovely state government rate. Currently in a Homewood that looks like it was last renovated in 1986.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
These delta comfort plus 'upgrades' are bullshit. About 2/3 of my flights I get upgraded right away, and for those it is fine since I just pick my seat per normal. But if I don't get the upgrade immediately I uncheck the C+ upgrade request for fear of getting moved at the last second in to a middle seat. Sometimes it is a good call because only middles end up available, other times upgrades and last minute flight changes open up more desirable seats. They really need to, at the least, change it to

• only upgrade me to an aisle
  • only upgrade me to a window
  • upgrade me to an aisle or window
  • upgrade me to any seat

Any first seat is better than any coach seat. So just a straight yes/no works fine. But when you are still in a coach seat snacks and a drink don't make up for being in a middle.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Thoguh posted:

These delta comfort plus 'upgrades' are bullshit. About 2/3 of my flights I get upgraded right away, and for those it is fine since I just pick my seat per normal. But if I don't get the upgrade immediately I uncheck the C+ upgrade request for fear of getting moved at the last second in to a middle seat. Sometimes it is a good call because only middles end up available, other times upgrades and last minute flight changes open up more desirable seats. They really need to, at the least, change it to

• upgrade me to any seat

Any first seat is better than any coach seat. So just a straight yes/no works fine. But when you are still in a coach seat snacks and a drink don't make up for being in a middle.

I've only had to wait for a C+ upgrade at the gate a couple times, and both times I asked the gate agent to not upgrade me to a middle seat and they happily took note. I think they hear plenty of poo poo when people get put into middle seats, that any heads up to save them pain is appreciated.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I've only had to wait for a C+ upgrade at the gate a couple times, and both times I asked the gate agent to not upgrade me to a middle seat and they happily took note. I think they hear plenty of poo poo when people get put into middle seats, that any heads up to save them pain is appreciated.

This has been my experience as well.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ScooterMcTiny posted:

That only works if you know you're going to be at the gate before they process upgrades, though.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

Thoguh posted:

• upgrade me to any seat

I felt the same way at first but having done Comfort+ in middle, I disagree. The legroom in Main Cabin is atrocious. I will happily take middle Comfort+ over aisle/window in Main Cabin.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Any seat is fine, just don't put my next to fat people

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

FAILURE posted:

I felt the same way at first but having done Comfort+ in middle, I disagree. The legroom in Main Cabin is atrocious. I will happily take middle Comfort+ over aisle/window in Main Cabin.

I think that just highlights that it is dependent on personal preference and not a one size fits all thing like an actual cabin upgrade. Some people value legroom above all. Others put it lower on the list. Plus even with legroom a C+ seat has less than a lot of exit row seats. So even if legroom is your #1 priority a C+ upgrade isn't always a step up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Gonna cross half a million miles on Northwest/Delta shortly, somewhere over Tennessee I think.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Thoguh posted:

Gonna cross half a million miles on Northwest/Delta shortly, somewhere over Tennessee I think.

I'm nearing the half million mark with UA but it is unlikely I will get there anytime soon given that the program which takes me to China once a quarter or so is ending this year.

On the upside, with the return from PEK on Friday I've completed 1K requal and discovered that there are actually two more trips this year rather than one, so it's time to seriously look at an alternate alliance.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Mackieman posted:

I'm nearing the half million mark with UA but it is unlikely I will get there anytime soon given that the program which takes me to China once a quarter or so is ending this year.

On the upside, with the return from PEK on Friday I've completed 1K requal and discovered that there are actually two more trips this year rather than one, so it's time to seriously look at an alternate alliance.

Speaking of requals, how's everybody doing halfway through the year? I'm on track to be Plat again on Delta and may or may not hit Platinum at Marriott depending on how my second half travel ends up. I just bought a house so I'll probably be trying to stay at home more.

Delta: Requalified for Gold, on track for Platinum, could hit Diamond if my pace keeps up but I hope it doesn't.
MQM: 81,500 (about 30k of that is rollover from last year)
MGS: 50
MQD: $8,214

Marriott: 55 nights, requalified for Gold, on track for Platinum
Hilton: 2 nights, once I hit Platinum at Marriott I'll probably move a couple stays over to at least keep some level of status.

Hertz: 3 days, I'll just keep status via Delta's crossover program
National: 48 days, requalified for Executive. probably will end up short of executive elite.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Speaking of requals, how's everybody doing halfway through the year? I'm on track to be Plat again on Delta and may or may not hit Platinum at Marriott depending on how my second half travel ends up. I just bought a house so I'll probably be trying to stay at home more.

Delta: Requalified for Gold, on track for Platinum, could hit Diamond if my pace keeps up but I hope it doesn't.
MQM: 81,500 (about 30k of that is rollover from last year)
MGS: 50
MQD: $8,214

Marriott: 55 nights, requalified for Gold, on track for Platinum
Hilton: 2 nights, once I hit Platinum at Marriott I'll probably move a couple stays over to at least keep some level of status.

Hertz: 3 days, I'll just keep status via Delta's crossover program
National: 48 days, requalified for Executive. probably will end up short of executive elite.

National will match your Hertz status btw - that's how I have executive elite after 0 rentals.

I'm at 93k on Delta so far - have two international trips already on the books for the fall so I'll requal for Diamond without issue. I think my MQD will cross $20k easily - those international Biz fares add up real real quick.

Currently 16/18 nights through my SPG challenge. This is the first job I've had with real hotel flexibility, so taking full advantage of that to get SPG Plat.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm only a few thousand MQMs away from platinum on Delta, so that shouldn't be a problem. Diamond won't happen unless I do another mileage run, and there is no way I'm doing that again.
IHG I'm already Spire for next year, and I got bumped up to Ambassador after a few stays at Intercontinental properties.
National I'm already executive, and have a fair shot at making executive elite.

This should be the last year I get any kind of status though. I've been pulled off the road for the most part. I still have employees out on the road, but I will only be traveling every 5-7 weeks for a few days at a time. Transitioning back into an office and desk job is kinda weird.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
124k on DL, 30k rollover, will hit DM tomorrow
Some number on National, don't really know/care but I'll hit Exec Elite for sure
Marriott 61 qualifying nights, will hit Platinum

Other hotels/airlines IDGAF really but i will probably get some statuses on some carriers.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Thoguh posted:

Speaking of requals, how's everybody doing halfway through the year?

The requal posts in here really highlight how light the travel is for my job.

Delta: Status: Nothing On track for: Effectively nothing
MQMs: 18,780
MQSs: 24
MQDs: $3,165

Hilton: 10 Stays | 36 Nights | 62,892 Base Points

Definitely on track to make Diamond again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

All my travel is hopelessly fragmented; this may be the first time in 14 years of traveling that I have no status anywhere coming into 2017.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Midjack posted:

All my travel is hopelessly fragmented

Same.

I have no airline status at all yet this year but should get at least Gold on United.

Hilton - Gold
Marriott - Silver (down from gold last year, stayed 22 nights so far so I might get Gold again)
IHG - Gold, on track for Platinum
Starwood - Gold (from a credit card)

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

DL - 2,000 MQM, 4 MQS, $444 MQD
UN - 4943 PQM, 5 PQS, $928 PQD (5 addt'l segments booked through September)
AA - 25,666 EQM, 41 EQS (16 addt'l segments booked through July)

Will requal for AA plat at least for next year.

Hilton - 6 nights, won't requal for diamond, which I had gotten as a status match from spire elite.

SPG - 33 nights, 18 stays (5 addit'l stays through July), will qual for platinum soon.

Hertz - president's circle from my employer, 19 rentals (7 addt'l booked through July).

I would've qual'ed for SPG platinum in April through a challenge and likely for AA Explat this year, but the one study that monopolized my time got cancelled so I've been at home for 2 months. I was getting cabin fever, but I'm back on the road again!

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

My agency just switched all travel from southwest to American. In the middle of the fiscal and calendar year. Which effectively only means I have to fly through DFW instead of Dallas-love, which sucks for my quality of life.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Just hit SPG platinum in a month at my new job.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

One stay away from Hilton Diamond, so I'll hit Diamond in mid-July.

I likewise have fragmented air travel, but I should at least requal AA Gold within a month or two. Doubt I'll make any status on any other airlines unless something changes.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
tfw you pick a seat in the back row hoping it'll spare you from having to sit next to a fatty (or anyone, really) and it actually works out

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Got to fly on a 787-9 for the first time this weekend (LATAM airlines going AKL to SYD). Not sure if I could tell a difference in the cabin pressure/humidity or anything really. Everything on there was brand new though which was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

really? I definitely could when I went back to an A319 later that week.