Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Beetphyxious posted:

I raised this the other day and you gave me a grab bag of reasons why it shouldn't matter.

I believe that a portion of the odds are determined by the amount of people who bet on each side but it seems to not be very weighted, despite the logic that it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Recoome posted:

I'd like to meet the demographic this ad is supposed to be reaching out to lmao

It feels like it's targeted at a caricature of Western Sydney voters, if the posters in this thread were asked to draw said caricature

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

I'd like to meet the demographic this ad is supposed to be reaching out to lmao

~swing voters~

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

I believe that a portion of the odds are determined by the amount of people who bet on each side but it seems to not be very weighted, despite the logic that it should be.

I had a quick hunt around for an article I read recently about this and they said novelty markets like this aren't reliable for ~reasons~ I can't remember.

So here have this instead.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...528-gp64e9.html

quote:

But while many experts believe the betting markets are worth watching, they dispute they're any more reliable than the polls.

It's certainly true that the markets have done a decent job of predicting the overall outcome of federal elections over the past 30 years. But they were wrong in 1993 - just like the pollsters who predicted Paul Keating would lose.
They also predicted a much more comfortable win for Julia Gillard in 2010.

Psephologist Kevin Bonham points out they've also been wrong in a number of state elections, including the most recent contests in Queensland and South Australia. But somehow a perception that they're always right prevails.
"People have become really fixated on that and have ignored contrary evidence," he says. "I think maybe people want to believe it. It sounds good you know, the wisdom of the crowd and all."

Dr Bonham says the 2013 election is a good case in point.

"The overall betting always had the Coalition winning, which is what happened. But the individual seat betting wasn't very good," he says.

By the end of the campaign, the bookies were predicting a further 10 seats would fall into Coalition hands that in fact stayed with Labor.
They also predicted the Greens would lose the seat of Melbourne to Labor, that the Coalition would repel Clive Palmer in Fairfax and Sophie Mirabella would hold on to Indi.

That shows when it comes to close-run races - particularly those involving minor parties or independents - the markets are no better than the rest of us.
Overall, they got 14 of the 150 seats wrong in 2013.

Dr Bonham says a 90 per cent success rate is not bad: "But it's not exactly brilliant either."

The published poll averages had a similar success rate.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Newspoll 50-50
Alp 36, Coalition 41, Green 10
June 16-19

Barnaby ahead in New England 51-49 2PP (Primaries Nat 48, Windsor 36)

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

thru an investment property!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

He looks so strange.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
They mussed up the hair of an investment banker, rubbed some dirt on his cheeks and put him in a safety vest.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Their faux Aussie blokes are always hilarious

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I0wae57nJ0
"Who just wants to get ahead with an investment property!"

How out of loving touch do you have to get to run an ad on this on TV?

This authentic aussie tradie wears a silver chain while he operates a circular saw

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Beetphyxious posted:

I had a quick hunt around for an article I read recently about this and they said novelty markets like this aren't reliable for ~reasons~ I can't remember.

I used to work as a bookie's clerk and I used to price the novelty markets. Most of them don't hold much money and are used as a gateway to get punters betting on regular sports.

Elections however do hold a fair bit on the overall election result. The reason prices skew so much towards the favourite is that people love backing a winner - even when the price is bad. This means more money pours in for the favourite driving its price down and the outsider's price up so the bookie can balance the book. The bookies aren't making educated guesses - they are just reacting to the flow of money.

Taking a punt on outsiders is usually a better option than picking a heavily backed favourite. If you think labor is at good odds you should take the bet as you really are just betting against other mugs.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

My humble contribution.

https://twitter.com/zpxlng/status/744526720795975680

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The sad thing is the line about letting this mob have a go probably is a carefully researched and calculated line. And it will probably ring true for a lot of uninformed voters.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

AY mates you blokes wanna grab a beer and talk about investment portfolios or are you wankers? ay?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

That Mr. Turnbull seems like a true blue anzac ay fellows. oi you wanna grab more beer and talk about investment properties and economic warfare like the realistic Australians we are or are you fuckwits?

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

lol are they even trying?

https://twitter.com/sallymcmanus/status/744519195895861248

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

wayne curr posted:

Fucken real estate agent in a hi vis vest. How can anyone think this was a good idea?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

freebooter posted:

And on the topic of "stick with this mob," I've noticed that over the past few days the ~*~*~The Narrative~*~*~ in the media seems to have settled on "Labor is doing well, but there's not enough dissatisfaction in the populace to vote out a first-term government." Which very much strikes me as the media gallery being hung up on the last election and not properly analysing this one.

I've been doing a fair amount of doorknocking / phone banking over the past two months and that's kind of the overall vibe I've picked up tbh. So many people either don't know or don't care what is happening.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Uh-oh. Hip-pocket election. As in, as long as my hip-pocket's all right, I don't give a poo poo who's in government.

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

Birdstrike posted:

I've been doing a fair amount of doorknocking / phone banking over the past two months and that's kind of the overall vibe I've picked up tbh. So many people either don't know or don't care what is happening.

A lot of people don't care / are sick of it / don't know why we have had so many elections recently

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Snod. posted:

A lot of people don't care / are sick of it / don't know why we have had so many elections recently

I have heard many times out doorknocking that people can't understand why there's been an election every six months, and why do I have to vote, and why can't they just do what we pay them to do. For clarity, there was a local government election four months ago, and a state one 18 months ago.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Starshark posted:

Uh-oh. Hip-pocket election. As in, as long as my hip-pocket's all right, I don't give a poo poo who's in government.

That's every election ever.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

At times like these I wonder what it must be like to be one of the average Australians who apparently have no conception of what happens in politics or the media beyond a perfunctory appreciation, but that just comes home after work, watches whatever the latest renovation or Kardashian show is on tele, smacks their wife around a bit and then goes off to sleep happy and contented. Must be nice not having so much going through one's head.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Skellybones posted:

That's every election ever.

Not the Tampa/9-11 election.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
So I don't watch TV and I don't really follow current events but I understand there is an election soon. Is there some sort of website/resource that can bring me up to speed? How does one learn what's going on without having followed it from the start?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

wayne curr posted:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I too am shocked that this actor speaking lines he was given to speak by a political party, is not actually a genuine tradie.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Zenithe posted:

I too am shocked that this actor speaking lines he was given to speak by a political party, is not actually a genuine tradie.

When I saw it on TV it sounded overdubbed

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
So a few days ago a greens candidate in Tasmania had men come to his house, yell at his teenage daughter, and destroy campaign material out the front of his house.

Now the greens candidate in Farrer has had his car broken in to and campaign material destroyed.

:toot:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If the Libs have a Primary Vote of 41 and the ALP 37. Who wins? Both primary votes are in the danger zone. Greens preferences bring the ALP to about 46-7%? Which means they need 4% from others to get past 50%.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Birdstrike posted:

When I saw it on TV it sounded overdubbed

I will say that I've never met a tradie who drank coffee from a mug at work. Should be an ice break or energy drink.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Both primary votes are in the danger zone.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Does anywhere have a good printable lower house/senate ballots? I want to write up my voting plan but the aec doesn't have what I'm after. There was that site for the last election that (or the one before it) that let you practice and print. Is that up for the current election?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Anidav posted:

If the Libs have a Primary Vote of 41 and the ALP 37. Who wins? Both primary votes are in the danger zone. Greens preferences bring the ALP to about 46-7%? Which means they need 4% from others to get past 50%.

Maybe Leyonhjelm will support them?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Zenithe posted:

I will say that I've never met a tradie who drank coffee from a mug at work. Should be an ice break or energy drink.

Or at least a fuckin thermos

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Beat me to it :colbert:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

If the Libs have a Primary Vote of 41 and the ALP 37. Who wins? Both primary votes are in the danger zone.

Welcome to the elephant in the politics room since 2001, but speaking historically it's only become more the ALP's problem, the Libs have always been dependent but are much better at pretending they aren't. The press gallery spend so much time avoiding this fact, it's a feature of their buy-in to the political class.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Amoeba102 posted:

Does anywhere have a good printable lower house/senate ballots? I want to write up my voting plan but the aec doesn't have what I'm after. There was that site for the last election that (or the one before it) that let you practice and print. Is that up for the current election?

both senate.io and belowtheline.com are not going to be up for this election. The ABC website by Antony Green is alright though - http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2016/guide/electorates/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

It's not even that the "tradie" in that ad wasn't an actual tradie, but wasn't even some C grade actor and instead they paid some HR company director to fill the role.

• Locked thread