Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

how does anyone actually think that in the game with monkey scientist, a robot monk named after the second best Police album, Brazillian DJ on laser skates, and korean pro gamer girl piloting a mech, the black trenchcoat dude is supposed to be taken 100% seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean...he's played completely straight. You think he's not supposed to appeal to the preteen crowd?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

You obviously don't get blizzards sophisticated humour

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Dias posted:

I mean...he's played completely straight.

:thejoke:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Dias posted:

I mean...he's played completely straight. You think he's not supposed to appeal to the preteen crowd?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Of course he's played straight. Some people make fun of him but the character itself doesn't have a hint of self parody. It's fine to like the preteen cool character, but don't deny it, guys.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

He's fun to play.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I like Reaper. It's kinda like playing Judge Doom in Who Framed Roger Rabbit considering the rest of the cast.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Not denying that, although I barely played him. Dude tends to be insta picked.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i like reaper but i hate having to actually fight him

i die die die to him a lot :(

also is reyes pronounced rees or ray-es

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 20, 2016

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Heh, even the guy from the winning team they interviewed at the end of the tournament just now said he doesn't think Mccree has a place in the meta anymore.

Because the meta has and always will be about deathballing. It's why despite Genji and Tracer being really loving good they're rarely used because they can't brawl for poo poo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

He's fun to play.

yea I like reaper a lot on koth

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Can't wait for this D.Va buff, as a person who has most time played on D.Va.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I wish people would stop making fun of the chuuni chara

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Ok goons, I have a question about the longevity of this game, specifically on the PS4. I filed this game under ignore because I'm not a multiplayer guy, I've only ever heavily got into MP in 3 games, TF2, Warthunder, and the original Blops. But all the stuff I'm seeing for this game has made it seem interesting and fun, but since PC isn't an option for me I'm worried I'm gonna drop 50-60 bucks on this and it'll have no players in 3 months. Do you guys think it'll have staying power on PS4?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yes.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i like reaper but i hate having to actually fight him

i die die die to him a lot :(

also is reyes pronounced rees or ray-es

It is ray-es :)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

overwatch on ps4 is the platform with the most players iirc and I don't see it dying any time soon. there's nothing like it on the platform and the maps and heroes blizzard adds will be free

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think it will have a community probably but a relatively shallow one compared to PC (I also don't think it'll be dead in 3 months and would likely take longer than that before dropping off). But I mean I'm a guy who plays games with ~150 active players worldwide regularly so to me it's more about quality than quantity. Not everyone feels this way, and even then said games tend to be competitively-minded and that community is going to be focused on PC rather than consoles when it comes to OW.

Manatee Cannon posted:

overwatch on ps4 is the platform with the most players iirc

dang is that true, that's pretty surprising. Who knows then.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Dias posted:

Of course he's played straight. Some people make fun of him but the character itself doesn't have a hint of self parody. It's fine to like the preteen cool character, but don't deny it, guys.

parody isn't always saying something then turning to the camera and giving it a big wink

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

how does anyone actually think that in the game with monkey scientist, a robot monk named after the second best Police album, Brazillian DJ on laser skates, and korean pro gamer girl piloting a mech, the black trenchcoat dude is supposed to be taken 100% seriously

Because there are plenty of other bad or utterly boring one dimensional characters in the game, widowmaker probably being the worst but also soldier, mercy, genji, hanzo, pharah, and more. The way he delivers his lines is so over the top that I can actually see reaper being tongue in cheek, but when you put him next to the rest of the characters he only barely stands out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Even if every single person who worked on Reaper's quotes, aesthetics, and gameplay was being 100% sincere when they designed the character I don't see why people are unable to take him as a joke considering how comfortable people are twisting other facets of character's personalities to fit their preferred interpretations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

parody isn't always saying something then turning to the camera and giving it a big wink

Do you also think Widowmaker was made as a parody?

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Manatee Cannon posted:

overwatch on ps4 is the platform with the most players iirc

That can't possibly be true.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I don't know how anyone can take Reaper seriously when he looks half-black, half-mexican, and sounds like he was voiced by a white guy.

I was sincerely hoping for an "adios muchachos" ult line for his de las muertas suits.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think, like most things with Blizzard (which is why their games are so popular) they tried to have it both ways with Reaper. They wanted him to simultaneously appeal to the potential school shooter crowd, and be tongue-in-cheek for the older crowd. Blizzard always tries to have its cake and eat it too (let's make a competitive e-sports shooter that's also accessible and mainstream!), and they actually have a pretty good record with that. That's why you can argue about it endlessly, because the answer is both are true.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's less that I don't think Blizzard is trying to appeal to people who would actually think Reaper is a genuine badass, and more that I don't see how people get so hung up on it instead of thinking it's funny and laughing when the dude says "Riiiiiiiight" when you vote for him post match. Like come on fucker take the complement jesus

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Semper Fudge posted:

That can't possibly be true.

it almost always is for any game

battlefield's a decent example since it's another prominant pc shooter. ps3 consistently had the most players in bf3 and ps4 did for bf4. it's rare that the pc version sells the best for any game (xcom did but that's the only one I can think of offhand). there's a reason why most of the biggest games invariably have consoles as the lead platform

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Danny Trejo should have voiced Reaper this is an outrage.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think at one time Reaper was a character who was being designed completely seriously. But I think at some point they were like "this character is a little ridiculous" and then just ramped it up to a thousand instead of trying to reign it in. I really don't see how you can take him seriously when he has a line like "I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high functioning psychopath".

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I think at one time Reaper was a character who was being designed completely seriously. But I think at some point they were like "this character is a little ridiculous" and then just ramped it up to a thousand instead of trying to reign it in. I really don't see how you can take him seriously when he has a line like "I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high functioning psychopath".

Because there are people who pose for pictures like this and honestly think they look badass without a hint of irony or self-awareness. So Reaper is both for tacticool guy and the people who get the joke.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Am I crazy for wanting to see a small mercy ult nerf? She is already the best healer, does she need the most impactful ult in the game as well? I know the answer is "focus the mercy" but I play solo so that is not a reliable strategy (plus a good mercy is slippery as hell). It is so demoralizing to spend a lot of resources killing 1000+ hp worth of hero and see them instantly return at full health with a few seconds of invincibility, all cooldowns up, and all right next to each other to best coordinate ults.

How about rez two people instantly and then 1 or 2 per second of channeling, to give it some counterplay? How about cooldowns come back as they were when you died? I dunno, it just feels like too much of an impact for a (fairly fast-charging) ult to turn a team wipe into a reverse team wipe, with no way to counter it once the button is pressed.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Magic Underwear posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to see a small mercy ult nerf? She is already the best healer, does she need the most impactful ult in the game as well? I know the answer is "focus the mercy" but I play solo so that is not a reliable strategy (plus a good mercy is slippery as hell). It is so demoralizing to spend a lot of resources killing 1000+ hp worth of hero and see them instantly return at full health with a few seconds of invincibility, all cooldowns up, and all right next to each other to best coordinate ults.

How about rez two people instantly and then 1 or 2 per second of channeling, to give it some counterplay? How about cooldowns come back as they were when you died? I dunno, it just feels like too much of an impact for a (fairly fast-charging) ult to turn a team wipe into a reverse team wipe, with no way to counter it once the button is pressed.

Nerf ult charge across the board by 15-20%, then nerf Mercy's by another 5-10%. This is justice.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

reaper is great because it's obvious how ridiculous he is but he doesn't give any more fucks and just embraces it with all his heart.

my favorite music genre, cheesy power metal, is the same way and i love it. it's so incredibly cheesy that it wraps back around to being amazing.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I have a hard time not taking nearly every character as parody TBH.

Bolow posted:

Because the meta has and always will be about deathballing. It's why despite Genji and Tracer being really loving good they're rarely used because they can't brawl for poo poo

Hence why current meta is mostly tank dominated with a widowmaker and Mercy/Lucio. Nearly every offensive character is useful almost exclusively as flankers, they're too easily murdered or have ineffective DPS in coordinated play. The exceptions, Phara and S:76, are durable and high DPS. McCree was picked because FTH was broken and combined with his stun allowed them to break up tank death balls, especially for quickly neutralizing Reinhardt.

Roadhog the new McCree, and he is definitely better at it as his stun is mostly superior except vs Reinhardt.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Do you also think Widowmaker was made as a parody?

Yes, I think she's obviously a play on the femme fatale character, and maybe she was more over the top in the design process but got toned down for release for whatever reason

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

I mean, that's literally what you'd read on an OC badass character profile tho.

Don't take this as me hating the character, I'm just sayin' it's not a Fight Club thing, or at least not just a Fight Club thing. It's fine that you like the preteen cool character, no need to wrap him in layers of irony.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Magic Underwear posted:

The res definitely does not give cooldowns back! I have died a lot after getting rezzed as Zarya to find my personal shield is still 4 seconds away from cooldown again.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FaustianQ posted:

Hence why current meta is mostly tank dominated with a widowmaker and Mercy/Lucio. Nearly every offensive character is useful almost exclusively as flankers, they're too easily murdered or have ineffective DPS in coordinated play. The exceptions, Phara and S:76, are durable and high DPS. McCree was picked because FTH was broken and combined with his stun allowed them to break up tank death balls, especially for quickly neutralizing Reinhardt.

This is sort of the natural end result of Payload as the primary format. When you can't push up too far because then the cart won't move you need to cluster up. Mobility is a lot less important when fights happen in narrow corridors around a slow moving objective. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing but it's definitely an expected one for the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Nerf ult charge across the board by 15-20%, then nerf Mercy's by another 5-10%. This is justice.

Maybe they should increase Mercy's ult charge speed x4 but she can only revive one teammate

"why didn't you revive me instead of him" will tear teams apart