Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Ooooh you think the website does the editing of the combat log.

No, thats the commish's job.

Not a bad idea though, but I personally need it edited before posting the results so I can do the writeup.

Edit: To be honest doing the combat log properly takes like 30 seconds. I GIF'd it in like round 13. Its the easiest part of the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Yeah, the combat log is easy from our side. The only thing that makes it take time or be exciting is these "unsanctioned" fights that Spermy's run where the combatants got really out of hand.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Ooooh you think the website does the editing of the combat log.

I'm saying it might save time if it does, but I have no idea how practical that is.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I have an idea for this. Will pm Jazz when I have a chance to investigate feasibility.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Sorry Spermy Smurf, I should have gone for wrestling instead of striking. Then the fight would have been over a little bit faster. I think I would have lost that fight eventually, but thankfully 3 Wolf Moon Shirt was there to help. Anyway here is my final build:

Tyler Durden is Hobbes
He has the following equipment.
Adamantine Helm
Leather Armor
Adamantine Mail Shirt
Iron Greaves
Iron Gauntlets
Iron High Boots

He has the following skills.
Level 9 Fighting (Professional)
Level 1 Archery (Novice)
Level 6 Wrestling (Talented)
Level 14 Striking (Grand Master)
Level 4 Biting (Skilled)
Level 8 Dodging (Expert)
Level 4 Armor (Skilled)
Level 2 Kicking (Adequate)

I can't believe we won, and that I came in fourth on the betting scoreboard.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Hey thanks to everyone who was involved in running this thing. It was lots of fun!

I should also post one of these for my very average Werewolf:

potatomanjack, you are managing Slam Whale Willy, a retired male Werewolf fighter.

This fighter participated in the 1054 Armok Arena League tournament as a member of Go big and/or go home.

He has the following equipment.
Platinum War Hammer
Iron Shield
Iron Cap
Copper Mail Shirt
Iron Breast Plate
Iron Greaves
Iron Gauntlets
Iron High Boots

He has the following skills.
Level 7 Fighting (Adept)
Level 10 Hammer (Accomplished)
Level 4 Wrestling (Skilled)
Level 3 Biting (Competent)
Level 7 Dodging (Adept)
Level 7 Shield (Adept)
Level 7 Armor (Adept)

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug
This was fun and everyone's hard work is always appreciated!

Now run another one, no rest for the weary

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Next one I'm going to try a zany build along the lines of 4 hammer Antwoman, 4 spear strangler, 1 long sword/2 shortsword strangler, 4 pick Antwoman, 3 dagger/1 shield strangler, 4 battle axe Antwoman etc. Obviously they won't have all their weapons at the start.

Maybe a dual maul yeti...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
4 axe antwoman was my initial build. I changed it because of the cost difference. Only like 150 pts between 3 daggers but was enough to stop that build for regular season.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I think we're going to see a lot of dual, triple and quad wielded weapons next tournament. It lets you stack tons of weapon skill with fewer repercussions and works both early and late in the tournament.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Then we shall have fights of 16 spears vs 14 hammers and it will be a grand affair indeed.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

It's mostly done but some of the werewolves are mixed up. Snarls Barkley is not who is that guy said on the list so if someone wants to clear up the remaining wolves or anyone I missed let me know.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Watch someone else make another team of 4 spear + shield dwarves :effort:

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

jon joe posted:

Watch someone else make another team of 4 spear + shield dwarves :effort:

Hey. :v: To be fair, we never really super coordinated to do the spears thing. 'Spears are good, right?' and so it was, pretty much. I don't think we even planned the 4x dwarf thing??

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

C7ty1 posted:

Hey. :v: To be fair, we never really super coordinated to do the spears thing. 'Spears are good, right?' and so it was, pretty much. I don't think we even planned the 4x dwarf thing??

You fielded 4 fighters but managed to wield only 4 spears between them? :mediocre:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Word of caution: Dual wielding can be extremely powerful if done right.

"If" being the important part here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only sad thing is I still cannot buy a chair as a weapon

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
We should also be able to buy extra appendages. 140 points for an extra arm on your Werewolf, 220 points for a backup head on your Molemarian.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

And that we don't have champion crowns available either. The additional head protection would have extended my lifespan, letting Strangler than fiction live to get 2.02 kills instead of merely 2!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I killed antwoman, make that 3.03!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

SynthOrange posted:

I could fix that!

Season 6 planned feature list:
  • Chairs as weapons
  • Mystery Boxes
  • Throwing axes
  • Giant Cave Spider Men that are like troll-sized soldier ant women with six arms and that spit webs
  • Invisibility cloaks
  • Lava fall traps
  • Lies
  • More mystery boxes

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I like you.

If you have time I would also like to see 'dick kicking' as a skill.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Oh man, I can't wait until they implement lies.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
:siren: Losers Bracket Round 1, Fight 3 :siren:

Spooky Scary Skeletons is on the left side of the arena.
Tash Al'rhyn (tithin) is a female werewolf. She wields a silver war hammer and a wooden shield and wears a silver cap, a copper mail shirt, a bronze mail shirt, copper greaves, leather gauntlets, and copper low boots.
Three Gremlins in a Blender (AJ_Impy) is a male strangler. He wields an iron pick and a wooden shield and wears an iron helm, an iron mail shirt, iron gauntlets, and iron low boots.
Bad Munki (Coward) is a male kobold. He wields a steel bow and wears a leather cap.
Candy Corn Tiger (Klokwurk) is a male tigerman. He wields an iron halberd and a wooden shield and wears a bronze helm, an iron mail shirt, bronze gauntlets, and iron high boots.

A furry, a farmer, and two cows is on the right side of the arena.
Goku (Galick) is a male tigerman. He is empty handed and wears an iron cap, an iron mail shirt, copper leggings, copper gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Dontellim Pike (John Charity Spring) is a male human. He wields an iron pike and wears an iron helm, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Min/Maxotaur (Anchors) is a female minotaur. She wields a copper large dagger and a wooden buckler and wears a copper helm, three copper mail shirts, a copper breast plate, copper greaves, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Rob Ford (Tirius) is a male minotaur. He wields an iron two-handed sword and a wooden shield and wears a copper helm, an iron mail shirt, copper leggings, copper gauntlets, and leather high boots.

---//---

DISCLAIMER:

I apologise for the tardiness of this fight writeup. I really do. I have had a terrible go of the last few weeks, being sick, having long boring appointments scheduled, and being stuck down by nasty food allergies on a semi regular basis because restraunts can't loving ensure cross contamination doesn't happen in their kitchens, and many manufacturers refuse to label garlic and onion powder explicitely and simply place it down as "herbs", if they even bother to warn at all. Furthermore, they stuff it, and almost anything else in the allium genus, in absolutely loving everything.

Oh, and then there is a serious almost constant fatigue thing. I'm trying to complete writeup in an unusual period of wakefulness, and fueling that with caffienated beverages and videos of kittens.

---//---

Welcome to the first fight of the losers bracket. Today we have Spooky Scary Skeletons on the left, with A furry, a farmer, and two cows on the right. Both teams appear to be extremely nervous, what with them standing on a relatively small platform above a large sea of lava. If only they knew what we have in store for them today...

The siren sounds and the battle begins. Bad Munki fires his steel bow, sending an arrow sailing across the arena.

He misses, proving once again that archers suck donkey balls and drag their teams down.

The teams meet in the middle and Tash Al'rhyn, the much maligned werewolf, makes the first real attack of the battle, biting off Goku's left ear. The bloodied and half deaf tiger man grabs at Tash's arm while Dontellim Pike slashes at her. The werewolf catches the blow on her buckler before turning and catching Goku's followup blow on it just was easily. She then swings her hammer around in a great circle and slams it into Goku's right thigh, chipping the bone and sending the large tiger man to the floor. Three Gremlins in a Blender, being an opportunistic crwature, leaps in and takes of the tigermans left arm at the elbow with his pick and seems poised to do more before an errant charge from Tash bowls him over.

Min/Maxotaur the minotaur tries to follow the stranglers example by attacking Three Gremlins while he is down, but unlike the unfortunate Goku, Three Gremlins is actually capable of parrying his opponents weapon. Before the minotaur can make another attack at the fallen strangler, Candy Corn Tiger puts him on the defensive with a series of blows that the minotaur has no choice but to catch on her shield.

Three Gremlins returns to his feet and creeps away from Min/Maxotaur and Candy Corn Tiger, who are now exchanging blocks and parries in order to attack the human Dontellim Pike, burying his pick in the poor humans right hand and tearing apart valuable nerves and muscles. Dontellim tries to retaliate, but the strangler effortlessly blocks his pike. He then tries attacking Tash, but his swing goes wide of the wily werewolf. Unfortunately, this was perhaps the most stupid move he could have made as Three Gremlins buries his pick in the humans right hand, again severing nerves and muscles. For those of you keeping track, this means that Dontellim has no more usable hands, and his pike falls to the ground before his two fluffy adversaries.

Goku tries to assist by reaching up and grabbing Tash by the thumb and performing a takedown on the surprised lycanthrope. This merely draws her attention and she bashes the cat in the lower body with her silver hammer, causing massive bruising of the cats internal organs.

Bad Munki see's a minotaur charging at him and continues to live up to his name, being utterly useless as he fires a shot at Rob Ford. This shot flies true, but is easily caught on the shield by the charging minotaur. Rob Ford reaches the kobold and strikes at him, but the kobold dances away along the lip of the platform.

Dontellim Pike, utterly disarmed, lashes out at Tash in futility. As a reward, Tash grants him a bruising blow to the leg with her silver hammer. Not to be outdone, Three Gremlins pickaxes him in the arm from behind. The two wounds, combined with his earlier hurts, cause the human to pass out from pain.

Candy Corn Tiger see's Bad Munki being pursued by the angry Rob Ford and rushes to his aid, slashing off the minotaurs left arm at the elbow. Unfortunately for the Skeletons that was the creatures shield arm, so it doesn't make him any less deadly. He swings at the tigerman, driving him back before returning to Bad Munki and trying to drive him off the platform. As before the kobold is forced to leap away from the larger creatures blows, and remains trapped on the edge of the platform.

Off to the east of the platform in the other half of the fight, Tash has placed Goku in a coma, and incidentally turned the tigermans skeleton into an interesting mix of bloody paste and razor edged shards. Min/Maxotaur tries to come to the aid of her two wounded comrades but she is held off by a masterful display of combat prowess from Three Gremlins, using his pick to great effect.

Back to the west Rob Ford slaps Candy Corn Tiger in the left forearm with the flat of his two handed sword, trying to drive back the furious cat so he can finish off Bad Munki. When Candy Corn Tiger retaliates he leaps away from the cats swing towards the kobold and launches yet another attack. Bad Munki manages to duck out of the way of the blow, but runs out of ground and tumbles off the side of the platform. As he splashes into the lava, the sound of chittering can barely be made out above the agonised shreiks of Bad Munki

On the other side of the platform, Tash advances on Min/Maxotaur when a fireball flies towards her. she twists out of the way and loses her balance, toppling off the side as well.

And now I can finally reveal what Spermy was up to while Zeetoo and I were getting the gladiators into the arena:

The stench of burning dog fills the arena as Three Gremlins and Candy Corn Tiger face the Two cows. Seeing this, Three Gremlins buries his pick in the head of the furry component of the opposing team, scoring the first actual kill of the match.

Rob Ford, also trying to quickly remove one of his opponents, tries to charge Candy Corn Tiger off the edge of the platform, knocking him down but failing to drive him off the side. The tigerman regains his feet and is forced to quickly dive back out of the way of a strike that would have shaved off not just his whiskers, but the front three centimeters of his face, and leaving him trapped on the corner of the great platform. Instead of pursuing, Rob Ford moves off to aid Min/Maxotaur in dealing with her strangler problem, agreeing that Three Gremlins is probably the most dangerous thing on the battlefield.

Rob Ford charges the strangler but gets himself tangled up in Min/Maxotaur, sending the two of them to the floor in a heap. Min/Maxotaur regains her feet just in time to have her cheek torn open by the stranglers razor sharp fingernails. Before the strangler can do more, however, a Fire Imp clambers up the side through the cloud of smoke that is/was Tash and attacks him. Three Gremlins hacks off the creatures leg off with his pick and it falls back into the lava before bleeding to death.

Rob Ford misses Three Gremlins with a strike from his sword as the strangler blocks a similar blow from Min/Maxotaur. He retaliates by buring his pick in Min/Maxotaur's chest, puncturing one of the minotaurs lungs. Candy Corn Tiger finally arrives in the battle and announces himself with a blow that breaks Min/Maxotaur's right arm. She looks stupefied for a moment as her dagger slips from her grip before clumsily attacking the strangler, but her blow goes wide. Candy Corn Tiger's, however, does not and slashes open her left foot and sends her to the floor where she passes out from pain. Candy Corn Tiger then stabs the minotaur through the head, killing her.

It is now 2 vs 1, with Three Gremlins standing above the prone Rob Ford, preventing him from climbing to his feet under the ancient and noble laws of dwarf fortress arena combat. Rob Ford takes a swing at the strangler and forces him to dodge away and allowing him to regain his feet, but not before Candy Corn buries his halberd in one of them. Despite the wound, the minotaur regains his feet and charges the strangler, driving him back.

Down in the lava, Bad Munki finally expires in heat and flames. Candy Corn Tiger, finding himself alone, takes a brief moment to stab Donetllim Pike through the head, killing the comatose human.

On the northen edge of the arena Rob Ford duels Three Gremlins in an intense and action packed battle amidst the cloud of smoke from the burning Tash. Suddenly yet another Fire Imp clambers up the side and attacks Rob Ford, who is forced to defend himself, swinging his sword through the creatures neck. This provided all the opportunity Three Gremlins needed, and the strangler buried his pick in the minotaurs shin, severing a motor nerve and dropping him to the floor. A second blow takes off the great creatures right foot. Desperate, Rob Ford flails at the strangler, who attempts to dodge but instead trips over the severed head of the fire imp the minotaur had just killed and tumbles off the side of the arena with a frustrated scream that turns to pain when he hits the lava with a loud wet sounding gloop.

Tash finally perishes in the lava, having waded six tiles to the west and south in her agonised frenzy. Candy Corn Tiger spies Rob Ford amidst the thick plumes of smoke coming up over the side of the arena and charges at the prone minotaur, but Rob Ford manages to drag himself away to the side and Candy Corn, losing sight of him in the smoke, tumbles off the side of the arena as well.

After a few minutes, both remaining Skeletons are reduced to ashes clad in molten metal, leaving A furry, a farmer, and two cows victorious. Rob Ford breathes a sigh of relief before hungry chittering comes from below and the fire imps spill up the side en masse.

On the radio, Zeetoo and I consider rescuing him, but we discover that the insurance policy of the rental company doesn't cover acts of fire imps and, frankly, we want our $20 deposit back.

A fireball strikes Rob Ford, setting his hair on fire and he lets out a despairing shout as he charges the Imps. The whole arena is blanketed in smoke and when it finally clears enough to reveal what has happened, only his burning corpse remains. of the imps there is no sign.

Kills:

Three Gremlins in a Blender: 1 + 1 Fire Imp
Candy Corn Tiger: 2

Rob Ford: 1 Fire Imp

Lava: 4

Fire Imps: 1

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Now that beats the hell out of 20 naked gremlins dropped into the fight.

Well done!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hell yes. First spectator killed! :D

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

On a more serious feature request note, being able to download macros of fighters from completed tournaments would be nice.

Klokwurk
Sep 18, 2010

I'm completely bloody shit at this!
We finally fulfilled our destiny of becoming actual skeletons.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Klokwurk posted:

We finally fulfilled our destiny of becoming actual skeletons.

Burning skeletons, no less. If that isn't spooky and scary, I don't know what is.

Also, the first team to lose without a single casualty to the enemy. :D

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Question: if you had to generalize, how would you say fire imps feel about class struggle and the labor theory of value? I'm only asking because I'm hoping they can be reconciled with Party leadership before Worker Cooperative burns to death.

ZeeToo posted:

I could fix that!

Season 6 planned feature list:
  • Chairs as weapons
  • Mystery Boxes
  • Throwing axes
  • Giant Cave Spider Men that are like troll-sized soldier ant women with six arms and that spit webs
  • Invisibility cloaks
  • Lava fall traps
  • Lies
  • More mystery boxes

This is a good start but move throwing axes down the list and move lies and more mystery boxes way, way up, like move "more mystery boxes" up above "mystery boxes" so we get more mystery boxes more sooner.

Also Giant Cave Spiders are better than nothing but what I really want is a meticulously balanced point-buy system for designing our own forgotten beast fighters, although I feel I should warn you the first time my forgotten beast loses I will throw a tantrum whether it is balanced or not.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 23, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If "Dwarves pick up superior weapons" was ever introduced, we could have some interesting weaponless builds.

Or "all weapons start in the middle" matches.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Mystery boxes could contain adamantium weapons!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Spermy Smurf posted:

Mystery boxes could contain adamantium weapons!

Mystery boxes should contain a roulette wheel which is then spun to determine the prize. 30-37 could be various adamantine weapons while 0 is a hostile fire imp stuck to the fighter's head.

Numbers 1-29 would all be different sizes and shapes of chairs. To be used as weapons, of course.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

goatface posted:

If "Dwarves pick up superior weapons" was ever introduced, we could have some interesting weaponless builds.

Or "all weapons start in the middle" matches.

I would dig Cornucopia matches.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
"Oh poo poo my gladiator got the cave silk whip!"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

"Oh poo poo my gladiator got the cave silk whip!"

This is DF, there's a 50/50 chance it'd be monofilament razorfloss

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Exactly. Mystery boxes are the future of this thing I tells ya.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately, due to the size of the tournament, introducing mystery boxes would collapse the gladiator-building economy into a probabilistic function where the top 10%, as dictated by mostly luck of the box, vastly outperform all other gladiators.

So what I'm saying is, mystery boxes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

jon joe posted:

Unfortunately, due to the size of the tournament, introducing mystery boxes would collapse the gladiator-building economy into a probabilistic function where the top 10%, as dictated by mostly luck of the box, vastly outperform all other gladiators.

So what I'm saying is, mystery boxes.

Mystery boxes that get rerolled each round :getin:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
I still want lies. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah, boxes would be random per fight. An inital 1d10 table or something.

1 might be weapons so then another 1d10 to find weapon. Another 1d6 for material.

2 might be armor. Same thing as above.

3 is an independent creature. 1d10 to find out what.

And so on