Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Next thing you know you'll be inappropriately proclaiming your love for some random woman by cutting off your own ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
I'm ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a Badger Soto 20/20 and a Ninja compressor.

Besides the cleaning fluid, is there anything else I need to get? I see the first post talks about moisture traps and I'm going to get the cleaning solution. Any recommendations on buying one of those cleaning stations or which moisture trap to buy?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Is it your first airbrush? The sotar might not be ideal

Something like the patriot might be better, you'll hate the sotar as the learning curve is pretty steep

Start with basecoats and work up, you really don't want to start with a detail brush

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 19, 2016

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,

Skarsnik posted:

Is it your first airbrush? The sotar might not be ideal

Something like the patriot might be better, you'll hate the sotar as the learning curve is pretty steep

Start with basecoats and work up, you really don't want to start with a detail brush

Yeah, it'd be my first. I guess I could take a look at the Patriot.

Outta curiosity, why would it be bad to stay with the 20/20? Can't it also do base coats?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

manchego posted:

Outta curiosity, why would it be bad to stay with the 20/20? Can't it also do base coats?

I've done base coats with the 20/20, it aint fun.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Get the Badget Patriot 105. It's great for basecoats and it's easy to clean and use. It's the AK-47 of airbrushes.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I've just recently bought the Patriot 105 XTREME it's fantastic.

Highly, highly recommended.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

manchego posted:

Imagine doing a base coat with a fine detail paintbrush. Though mainly until you get the hang of things you'll spend more time unclogging it than actual painting

The patriot is a lot more forgiving, and you can always buy the detail needle for it further down the line.

Don't think of the patriot as babbys first airbrush in any way, its really really good.

Yeast posted:

I've just recently bought the Patriot 105 XTREME it's fantastic.

Highly, highly recommended.

Whats the difference to the standard one?

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 19, 2016

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Skarsnik posted:

A cool 90's graphic pattern with the word XTREME painted on the side.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh sweet, get that one then

gently caress yeah

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

manchego posted:

I'm ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a Badger Soto 20/20 and a Ninja compressor.

Besides the cleaning fluid, is there anything else I need to get? I see the first post talks about moisture traps and I'm going to get the cleaning solution. Any recommendations on buying one of those cleaning stations or which moisture trap to buy?

As mentioned, get the Patriot for your first airbrush. No question.
[quote="Skarsnik" post=""461201538"]
[/quote]

Mainly it has a fine detail needle but it's still good for basing most models. The PAC valve is ok but won't be used by most people. Also, loads of spares swaps with the regular Patriot. I did a video review and comparison with the regular Patriot, pretty sure I posted it earlier in the thread.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLCxXjtQBFU

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 19, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh ok, well I guess that's cool too :sigh:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah I stepped up from a Delta airbrush and the difference is night and day. You actually feel like you have control over the brush, rather than having a giant on/off switch attached to a compressor.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

As part of my Guild Ball team there's a cat that I'd like to paint, and instead of painting red like the box art suggest, I was thinking of making it black and white. I have one question: how do I paint the black fur without making it look dull and flat? Highlight it with grey to make it stand out a little more? Same goes for the white.

EDIT: Also I think I'm improving (sorry for the blurriness), but zooming in to the picture seems to bring out all sort of badly painted parts. Pictures are in a timeline, so they go from the first model I painted to the latest one I painted:

(i'm waiting for the gloss varnish to dry before applying matte)

The first model took me ages to paint but I feel like I'm getting faster and faster.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 19, 2016

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

My latest Oath stuff. I tried out a couple of new techniques with skin tones and weird alien planets, and mimicking wildlife photos (the Basilisk). Overall I'm happy with this bunch, though I do still need to figure out some better camera settings for the glowy guys (the effect is more pronounced IRL)..

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath Complete!

Classic Thrud, tried to paint this in a rough comic book style. It's also Speed Painted and follows Box Art (see below quote).

Tarzan, Jane and their pet Mini-Rex out for a family stroll.

Space Princesses of various kinds. I went with the classic sci-fi show method of 'weird skin colour makeup = alien' on some of them.

Meganob and Brutes, yet more fodder for my Waaagh Demons (Demon Prince and Possessed respectively). I may go back and put some 'binding sigils' and the like on the armour but I'm happy with them for now.

Big gribbly basilisk, with tree frog inspired colour scheme. The pics don't show it off well but he's glossy IRL.

In addition to Speed Painting and Box Art I'm claiming the Jurnal for the relaxing princesses plus the sheer amount of skin on display for most of my entry.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

manchego posted:

Sotar was my first and I didn't have any issues with it other than clogging from time to time. (Easy to clean, just be gentle with the needle and lay everything on a white cloth so you don't lose anything)

I reccomend a moisture trap with pressure gauge, and second air hose to hook up to the moisture trap. I tend to run around 15psi.

I also recommend the following fluids:
Vallejo airbrush cleaner(cleans very good)
An empty water bottle to spray into while cleaning
water bottle for running water through it to clean
Vallejo flow enhancer(It will thin the paints and improve the flow)
and finally, Badger Needle Juice: This stuff is a great lubricant and helps to prevent dry tip. I tend to just spray two drops through the brush at the end of every painting session.
Q-tips for cleaning the reservoir
tiny bottle brush or pipe cleaners to clean any clogs
95% isopropyl alchohol for cleaning

Oh, and while cleaning, you don't need to disassemble the airbrush unless you have a clog. Just run water through until the main amount of paint is out of the reservoir, then alchohol, then cleaner, swab with Q-tip, then cleaner again, then the needle juice.

Finally, don't make the mistake that I did. Never over tighten anything. It will break.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

battlebox complete!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

battlebox complete!

:psyboom:

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
People who use slate at a basing material: How in the heck do you mount a mini on that?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Use pine bark and paint it to look like slate.

e: To elaborate, I've used both and slate is a huge pain in the butt to work with. Pine bark looks about identical when painted and it's much, much easier to work with. It takes glue better, takes paint better, and you can drill / pin it.

If you want your figure to be standing atop the 'rock,' gorilla glue some bark to the base, drill through the bark and the base, and then use a long pin to affix the feet to the whole assembly.

moths fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 20, 2016

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

battlebox complete!

I can't get over how drat incredible this is.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Helga is a pretty fun model to paint. I've also been getting the MkIII pig hype train. I need to finish up my battle boar, but Carver was one of my oaths this month so he got priority.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hi thread, I used some Tamiya weathering sets in some models and after Matt varnishing them they seem to have blended straight into the models. Am i meant to use a fixer instead of these?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

How did you apply it? Also how did you apply the weathering powder?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Hi thread, I used some Tamiya weathering sets in some models and after Matt varnishing them they seem to have blended straight into the models. Am i meant to use a fixer instead of these?

I'm going to guess you used a brush to apply the powder, and then spray varnished. The problem there is that the varnish will often knock the powders right off with the power from the spray can. It's also worth noting that most weathering powders are more matte than your spray. Try matte varnishing the model first, then applying the powders. I think some people use a light bit of alcohol to fix the powders afterwards.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Pigment powders always get toned down when you varnish, and on top of that if you are not very careful you'll blow off a bunch of it just from the spraying action itself.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Crossposted from x-wangs thread. Could use some advice :3:

Chill la Chill posted:

Main panels are almost done. I thought about adding script to them to make them look like excerpts from a medieval illustrated manuscript but that would look weird imo. I'm still getting used to actually painting since I've only ever done pencil sketching and watercolors in the past. Does the death star look fine? I can't follow an already drawn circle :v: Do the stars and starbursts (destroyed alderaan) work? Any way to make meditation chamber vader look more like vader and less like the emperor? I thought about moving his mask to the left side so it's more prominent and highlighting the lightsaber more. I copied a picture of an old jawa/jedi looking figure and wanted it to look like Obi's death, but maybe it would work better as a general "death of the jedi" if I added more bodies? The one below that will be filled to look like Tatooine since I ran out of ideas on what else to put on Vader's side, but I haven't really started it yet - any other ideas? The second tier below the emperor's throne was originally supposed to be the lava cave from McQuarrie's old concept sketches. I felt there would be too much red what with the royal guards below and the red outline of the tail itself. Anything else I could use instead?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Flipswitch posted:

I don't recall ever having problems applying a brush-on varnish to them first and then using a spray afterwards to the desired finish.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

How did you apply it? Also how did you apply the weathering powder?

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't recall ever having problems applying a brush-on varnish to them first and then using a spray afterwards to the desired finish.

Mango Polo posted:

Pigment powders always get toned down when you varnish, and on top of that if you are not very careful you'll blow off a bunch of it just from the spraying action itself.

Signal posted:

I'm going to guess you used a brush to apply the powder, and then spray varnished. The problem there is that the varnish will often knock the powders right off with the power from the spray can. It's also worth noting that most weathering powders are more matte than your spray. Try matte varnishing the model first, then applying the powders. I think some people use a light bit of alcohol to fix the powders afterwards.
Brush on weathering using the little applicators in the pack (they're like make up swabs). Then spray on testors dull coat. Looks it like it just blew most of it off the model as well as toning it down! I'll probably look to reapply it up tomorrow morning and apply a fixer over it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

battlebox complete!

Hell yeah

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Brush on weathering using the little applicators in the pack (they're like make up swabs). Then spray on testors dull coat. Looks it like it just blew most of it off the model as well as toning it down! I'll probably look to reapply it up tomorrow morning and apply a fixer over it.

One thing you can do is first apply the fixer to the model, and then while it's still wet tap on the pigment. It doesn't hold as strongly as pigment first -> fixer second, but it's good enough to protect the pigment from varnish sprays.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
Okay, I throw myself on the mercy of the board. Have a look at this:

Ignore what I've done to the rest of the model and look at the face; all of the different layers are very sharp, unlike the work done on the opera pig above. How do I get a "soft" line with acrylics and a brush? Is it wet blending on the miniature?

Cannibal Smiley fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 21, 2016

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
I think your options are wet blending / two brush blending, or glazes. Maybe there are other methods, but those are only ones that I'm aware of.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Darren MacLennan posted:

Okay, I throw myself on the mercy of the board. Have a look at this:

Ignore what I've done to the rest of the model and look at the face; all of the different layers are very sharp, unlike the work done on the opera pig above. How do I get a "soft" line with acrylics and a brush? Is it wet blending on the miniature?

Looks solid, next step for the next guy would be adding some intermediate blending I think. The fur on his shoulders for instance would really shine if you went from dark, to more of a mix, to the highlight. Stuff like that can really kill it with a drybrush.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Darren MacLennan posted:

I don't know if anyone wet blends on a surface that small. There are a few options, though:

1. Washes/inks: these fill in the crevices of the model and provide (relatively) smooth shading.
  2. Thin your paints: specifically, reduce the opacity; then you just need to paint more layers of a given color to get the result you want. One useful tip: the most paint will be deposited where you lift your brush, so you can use this to paint a highlight from the recesses to the raised areas and get a gradient in one pass (or the reverse if you're shading).
  3. Glazes: if you start with sharp color changes like you have, a glaze (very translucent paint) of a midtone can be used to blend the highlight and the shadow. I've never used this myself, though, so I don't have too much info to help you out.
  4. Drybrushing: the poor man's way of doing highlights, but it's good for highly-textured surfaces.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Thin your paints, feather the edges between layers, paint midtones to opaque, glaze down any remaining sharp transitions, practice, experiment.

The higher the contrast in the blend the more difficult it is. When learning blending it's easier to start with a fairly tight highlight - midtone - shadow scheme and gradually push contrasts as you get better at it.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 21, 2016

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Avenging Dentist posted:

I don't know if anyone wet blends on a surface that small. There are a few options, though:

1. Washes/inks: these fill in the crevices of the model and provide (relatively) smooth shading.
  2. Thin your paints: specifically, reduce the opacity; then you just need to paint more layers of a given color to get the result you want. One useful tip: the most paint will be deposited where you lift your brush, so you can use this to paint a highlight from the recesses to the raised areas and get a gradient in one pass (or the reverse if you're shading).
  3. Glazes: if you start with sharp color changes like you have, a glaze (very translucent paint) of a midtone can be used to blend the highlight and the shadow. I've never used this myself, though, so I don't have too much info to help you out.

To expand on this for the original poster

1. You can develop a glaze/shade at the same time by diluting your paints with ink rather than water. I wouldn't recommend it for shading large areas, but its good for developing blends and adjusting the shade of paint by minute amounts.

2. A midtone shade can be used as a filter. Shade it like you have done, then take the midtone and dilute it in equal parts of matte medium and water with a touch of glaze medium. Paint thin layers over the entire surface - this will have the consistency of a wash, so of it pools you will have to wick the excess away with your brush. Repeat this until the shades blend in.

Example I did recently (photo pending). Red fur:

Basecoat Vallejo Model Colour Burnt Red
Wash Reikland Fleshshade
Drybrush Vallejo Model Colour Red
Drybrush Vallejo Model Colour Carmine Red
Drybrush Vallejo Model Colour Carmine Red and Pale Yellow
Wash purple ink into shadowed areas
4x glazes of Carmine Red mixed as above.
Wash Reikland Fleshshade
Reinforce highlights with Carmine Red/Pale Yellow mix.

After the drybrushing the contrast was very stark so I filtered it a few times.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Filters and washes are my go-to method for smoothing transitions. For my Necron glowy-orbs, it was successive layers of Abaddon Black, Red Gore, Mephiston Red, Evil Sunz Scarlet, Orange, Yellow, and then a tiny bit of white. Once that was done, I filtered the whole thing with a mix of Evil Sunz Scarlet and red ink. The result is a really nice gradual fade that can be used on surprisingly small surfaces.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I never quite understood how filters were supposed to work. If you apply them to the whole surface, aren't you really just reducing the total range of the gradient (highlights become darker, and shadows become lighter)? I always thought you were supposed to apply them along the imaginary lines between each successive layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

reducing the total range of the gradient (highlights become darker, and shadows become lighter)

That's exactly what you want a filter to do. You're harmonizing the different colors, which makes the transitions smoother. If you plan ahead, that means you'll want your final highlight to be a little lighter than what you actually want before applying a filter or glaze.