Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
P3P6 Jaws of Stone
:captainpop:

I love Flashback drafts when no one has any idea what they are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
It might have something to do with players leaving during the draft (this was on xmage), but I managed to create this beautiful monstrosity and brutalize my opponents.

Yes, those are two Young Pyromancers and three Burning Vengeance.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GonSmithe posted:

P3P6 Jaws of Stone
:captainpop:

I love Flashback drafts when no one has any idea what they are doing.

Jesus Christ.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Jeff Hoogland owning Tom Ross is cool

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Please don't troll.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I don't give a flying gently caress about Standard right now; but as long as Gerry Thompson loses, it's a good day.

Also: Tom Ross winning is pretty cool

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 20, 2016

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Jesus Christ.

Here's what I ended up with

I also have three Smash to Smithereens in my sideboard and two "can't be blocked by blue creatures" 4 drop guys for blue decks.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

InterrupterJones posted:

W(sometimes Red) Humans is a stupid deck

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

InterrupterJones posted:

as long as Gerry Thompson loses, it's a good day.

Jeff Hoogland ftw!!!!!!

ITT: The worst opinions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

It's the only aggro deck of the format. Thank god it exists.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

I like to see Jeff Hoogland's brews but he is a jackass.
Same can be said for like 96% of Magic grinders and pro players.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

It's a deck <$100 and wins tournaments in standard. Didn't we hate last standard for $700+ decks?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I hate aggro deck! All you do is play your guy and spell at the right time in the right order until you win! Where's the hemming and hawing about a counterspell that isn't even in your hand? Where's the drawing a five mana draw spell on turn four? The deck is bull poo poo!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Here's what I ended up with

I also have three Smash to Smithereens in my sideboard and two "can't be blocked by blue creatures" 4 drop guys for blue decks.

Lost round 2 to Oona because I couldn't draw a Jaws of Stone :(

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Death Bot posted:

I hate aggro deck! All you do is play your guy and spell at the right time in the right order until you win! Where's the hemming and hawing about a counterspell that isn't even in your hand? Where's the drawing a five mana draw spell on turn four? The deck is bull poo poo!

Replace "aggro deck" with "bant humans" and take out the part about playing guys and spells at right time/order cuz it doesn't matter in that deck and I agree.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

InterrupterJones posted:

It's a deck <$100 and wins tournaments in standard. Didn't we hate last standard for $700+ decks?

I decided to start playing paper Magic again and White Weenie is the deck I'm eyeing. I'm okay with cheap decks that win.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

GonSmithe posted:

Oona is pretty much the strongest card in the set, so that's understandable.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
The only cards that are BS in standard right now are Reflector Mage, Dromoka's Command and Collected Company. Needless to say the deck that plays all of them is pretty mean.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Logicblade posted:

The only cards that are BS in standard right now are Reflector Mage, Dromoka's Command and Collected Company. Needless to say the deck that plays all of them is pretty mean.

my dude have you read the text on Archangel Avacyn?

suicidesteve posted:

ITT: The worst opinions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Looking forward to revelations of Ross's chronic cheating in the coming weeks time.

(not actually serious, congratulations)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Looking forward to revelations of Ross's chronic cheating in the coming weeks time.

(not actually serious, congratulations)

I like how Tom always figures out a way to make aggro good enough to win in metas it really shouldn't be doing well.

If magic had its Mount Rushmore, it would have LSV, Tom Ross, and two other jerks.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sickening posted:

I like how Tom always figures out a way to make aggro good enough to win in metas it really shouldn't be doing well.

If magic had its Mount Rushmore, it would have LSV, Tom Ross, and two other jerks.

finkel and mike long

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

tom ross is cool and very good but he wouldn't be on mtg's mount rushmore

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Twoo and Hitler.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Elyv posted:

tom ross is cool and very good but he wouldn't be on mtg's mount rushmore

Yeah he should be replaced by Randy Buehler

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

It would obviously be Garfield and Finkel

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

GonSmithe posted:

See, you should do what I did, and just money draft:

Even though my draft is a total trainwreck, I converted 100 play points into 7ish tickets. Hooray!

lol jk i ended up going red and getting P2P4 another Greater Auramancy (draft paid for now), P2P6 Jaws of Stone, P2P8 Jaws of Stone, P2P9 Horde of Boggarts. My deck's still a disjointed piece of poo poo but if I'm getting cards like Jaws of Stone eighth pick, how good can everyone else's decks really be?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

why are people passing jaws of stone

like, I get people passing cards like resplendent mentor, which are much better than they look, but jaws...

I guess it's possible that no one is red

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

3 and 4 are Kai Budde's giant mellon.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Aren't these the same people that see Ashenmoor Gouger aand think "this is a bad card"?

Sometimes a dumb simple card is poo poo loads better than an overly complicated one.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Twoo and Hitler.
Two great tastes, together at last.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Some Numbers posted:

Oona is pretty much the strongest card in the set, so that's understandable.

I've opened 3 Oonas playing so far!

yet to make it round of 2nd round

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Star Man posted:

I decided to start playing paper Magic again and White Weenie is the deck I'm eyeing. I'm okay with cheap decks that win.

My standard deck is white weenie splashing blue for Reflector Mage.

It's good, cool and ridiculous.

And the only card rotating is Kytheon which just gets replaced with either Gideon proper or Griff's Boon. :allears:

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 20, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Four spells, twelve lands, eight total CMC. No big deal, just going to casually win anyway with my stack of very fair commons.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Soul Glo posted:

My standard deck is white weenie splashing blue for Reflector Mage.

It's good, cool and ridiculous.

And the only card rotating is Kytheon which just gets replaced with either Gideon proper or Griff's Boon. :allears:

Neatums.

Also, why do lists have Needle Spires in the sideboard? What do you side them in against and what are you substituting them for?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't understand how decks that aren't GW Tokens win in this format.... Like, ever...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I don't understand how decks that aren't GW Tokens win in this format.... Like, ever...

Variance and personal preference.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

Neatums.

Also, why do lists have Needle Spires in the sideboard? What do you side them in against and what are you substituting them for?

Needle spires and haste goblin are very good against decks that run languish. So if they board wipe you can still swing for 4 with the land, or drop your hand and haste for the kill since languish is sorcery speed.

Needle spires is also just generally good against decks that want to go long.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Needle spires does two things:

1. It's a Languish-resistant threat
2. It ups your land count so that you can reasonably cast the Gideons etc. that you're also bringing in for longer games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Star Man posted:

Neatums.

Pascal explains why here.

I don't care if it's not the best version, Reflector Mage is still the most rad splash for humans, imo :colbert:

e: My list is actually pretty different from that, I built it to survive rotation by mainboarding x4 Hanweir Militia Captain, along with some Westvale Abbey's and x4 Avacyn, in addition to splashing for Reflector. I don't have any Boon's in mine either, just x4 Always Watching and x4 Declaration in Stone.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 20, 2016

• Locked thread