Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

The stupidity of Jon Snow falling into an obvious trap and leading his army into a completely unwinnable situation destroyed this episode for me. Sure, I smiled at poo poo like Jon fighting a guy for 2 seconds before he's run over by a horse but good god that corpse pile was a miserable sack of poo poo. It was like how in the last Hobbit that the only real general was the Orc commander who had a complex set of strategies and an intuitive means to communicate with his soldiers while every other faction just ran into battle without any thought to tactics. Jon Snow shouldn't be allowed to guard a village.

Also, why the gently caress did Wun Wun just wave his arms instead of smashing into the phalanx? A complete waste of his character, just like how Zombie Clegane will be completely wasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Now, dropping down a bit on the hatewatching.

I really liked that Mel no longer has all the answers nor acting preachy. For a moment during episode 3 I was afraid she had reverted to her old ways after resurrecting Jon, but it seems she is still broken in some manner of ways and knows she hosed up. It was a subtle background event and I appreciated the fact that at no point she spelled out "I no longer know what will happen because I made a mistake in the past and lost my confidence"

Also from the looks of it, I'm really liking the fact that Davos kept it in his pants and didn't go on a roaring rampage of revenge against Melisandre that could have possibly undermined the battle by creating discomfort among the troops, and just decided to wait for the aftermath, even when the possibility was dieing and never getting his revenge. I was totally expecing this plot to lead to some gently caress uppery by part of Davos that would give Ramsay an advantage, but nope, he kept his cool. Davos I think is so far the only character that I still like both in show and in book.

Something that was a bit awkwardly shot was Rickon standing next to Ramsay. He has grown a lot this past years and with the amount of fur clothes he was wearing he looked huge in comparison to Ramsay. A friend of mine during that scene shouted "Just suckerpunch the hobbit and kill it with his own sword".

Also, was it just me or when Umber came across Jon Snow he made a weird hand gesture or something and refused to fight him? Is there something to read into this, like Umber intending to double cross Ramsay at one point, or should we take it at face value like the rest of the show has proven?

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 20, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

quote:

The strategy and tactical aspect was a key thing for David and Dan. They wanted to specifically focus on that so that we could really see the way Ramsay ensnares and outguns Jon in the almost exactly the way the same way Davos had planned to defeat the Bolton army. I also did a bunch of research into Alexander the Great who was legendary in his strategic battle prowess.

Ramsay the Great.

e:

quote:

In fact, one of the hardest scenes to shoot was the parlay between the different factions prior to the actual battle. Getting a bunch of horses to just stand there all day and do nothing is much harder than getting them to run around. They would fart and pee a lot, often in the middle of [star Kit Harington’s] lines.

:lol: I do the same thing, horses.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ginette Reno posted:

Ramsay the Great.

Ramsey Barca

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
As far as hack'n slash battles go that was decent. Not gonna lie, Jon isn't a military genius and he should probably stick to leading charges and stuff while grown-ups make the real decisions. Satisfactory conclusion to Ramsay. Little weird we didn't hear a few words from Littlefinger.

Asema posted:

idk man season 6 has been leaps and bounds better than season 5 and I wanna say it's because we got 1 episode of Dorne and have yet to see a single trace of it like it was wiped from existence and that's already into "super great" territory for me

The sand snakes are arrogant smug assholes and I hope they get Ramsay'd.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can see Dany maybe landing in Dorne, and making a similar deal to the one she made with Yara. They give her a staging area and additional military might for her assault on whatever remains of KL in exchange for autonomy when she invades the rest of the 7. Just imagine: Emilia Clark and the Sandsnakes acting at one another.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Anos posted:

The sand snakes are arrogant smug assholes and I hope they get Ramsay'd.

The show would be redeemed completely if the Sand Snakes were randomly eaten by actual snakes. Just a thousand snakes suddenly slither up to them and wash over them like a locust swarm through vegetation.

fake edit: or, as any fan of mythology knows, dragons are considered a kind of snakes so maybe Dany will kill them rather than add them to the sisterhood of evil that she seems to be cultivating.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
i can see sansa killing littlefinger next week

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Anos posted:

Little weird we didn't hear a few words from Littlefinger.

Why won't you love me you loving oval office? I carried this printer halfway across Westeros for you!

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

Just imagine: Emilia Clark and the Sandsnakes acting at one another.

Huh, my nose just started bleeding for some reason and my head hurts a little.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

steakmancer posted:

i can see sansa killing littlefinger next week

She'll lift him clear off the ground and twist his head 180 degrees with one hand.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Why doesn't Jon get Melisandre to bring Rickon back to life?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Or more importantly, Wun-Wun.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

In It For The Tank posted:

She'll lift him clear off the ground and twist his head 180 degrees with one hand.

This would own, actually.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The long cut with Jon versus the cavalry was well done. Yara has a nice rear end.

Abner Assington posted:

Those Bolton archers wear some goofy loving helmets.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Bring Ramsay back to life.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

monster on a stick posted:

Bring Ramsay back to life.

Finally, a true Lord of Bones

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

steakmancer posted:

Finally, a true Lord of Bones

He can be like Bad Ash from Army of Darkness.

EDIT: so Tower of Blue Balls waits until next week?

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 20, 2016

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Wow, that battle scene was super cool. And I'm glad Ramsay was killed, gently caress plotlines where the heroes can't kill the bad guy or else they become "just as bad as the villain" or whatever the gently caress.

However, whoever said the cool parts are kind of ruined by all the irredeemable scenes happening before and after is still right. This is exactly what happened with Hardhome last year.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

Ramsay's death was poetic in the same way that,

This is a rose,
It smells like a rose,
and looks like a rose.
Check out this rose.

Is a poem.

Literally nothing makes me happier than people with terrible taste in shows furiously posting about how much they hate this show.:keke:

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Super Ninja Fish posted:

because nobody gives a poo poo about him and neither does the LoL. Jon was brough back to serve a higher purpose, not to smash walnuts.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Harlock posted:

Since the spoilers were more or less correct on this episode what happens next week

Ya I'd like to know as well.

This was definitely one of the best episodes of GoT ever. The choreography of the fight was incredible and I like how they finally made me like Dany again as well with a pretty sweet battle scene of her own. I couldn't really fault anything about the episode other than I wish Rickon did just a little bit of zigzagging instead of running in a straight line like a complete noob. If you don't like this episode, please just stop watching. You'll never like this show again.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

Yara has a nice rear end.

+1

Never really paid attention before, but yeah.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I dunno how cutting this deal with the Greyjoys "breaks the wheel." It could get even worse if she cuts a similar deal with Dorne. Then another one with the Starks to team up to beat the White Walkers?

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

So you see, without my help, they're toast!
I was glad to see Ramsay meet a fittingly gruesome end. But I feel like Ramsay getting eaten by his dogs that he starved is supposed to be a larger metaphor for his mistreatment of the North coming back to haunt him, which just doesn't really happen in the show. The Umbers, Karstarks, and Glovers never turn on him. Jon just rallies a small number from the lesser houses such as the Mormonts and Hornwoods, and the bulk of his force is still wildlings. Do the Manderlys even show up to the battle on either side?

Maybe I'm way overthinking it, lol, and it's just straight comeuppance for him terrorizing people and feeding them to his dogs.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The long cut with Jon versus the cavalry was well done. Yara has a nice rear end.

A good observation.

I like that she hit on Dany, although it would have been funnier if she had followed up on the silence with a Zoidbergian "...I'm not hearing a no?"

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
my favorite scene was the bolton banner on winterfell being dropped down, a cut to the stark banner being put up on the same spot, and then a cut to sansa smiling for 3 seconds

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

CytotoxicTrev posted:

I was glad to see Ramsay meet a fittingly gruesome end. But I feel like Ramsay getting eaten by his dogs that he starved is supposed to be a larger metaphor for his mistreatment of the North coming back to haunt him, which just doesn't really happen in the show. The Umbers, Karstarks, and Glovers never turn on him. Jon just rallies a small number from the lesser houses such as the Mormonts and Hornwoods, and the bulk of his force is still wildlings. Do the Manderlys even show up to the battle on either side?

Maybe I'm way overthinking it, lol, and it's just straight comeuppance for him terrorizing people and feeding them to his dogs.

In the books, I'm expecting Ramsay to meet a similar fate (something along the lines of: stabbed in the stomach by Jon, flees while bleeding, eaten by his hounds) but it'll have the additional irony because all of his hounds are named after the women he raped and murdered.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CytotoxicTrev posted:

I thought it would've made more sense for Ramsay's guys in winterfell to open the gates and offer him to Jon but then it could also be that maybe Jon was wrong about how fragile Ramsay's coalition was.

Or perhaps he should've just stuck to the plan so maybe the cracks in the Bolton coalition could form.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Where did they get the Stark banners? They just had them lying around in Bolton-controlled Winterfell? Seems like those things take a while to make too.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Vegetable posted:

Where did they get the Stark banners? They just had them lying around in Bolton-controlled Winterfell? Seems like those things take a while to make too.

Sansa's a really good seamstress.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Why doesn't he get her to just battle rez anyone in his army who dies.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Why didn't Rickon just zigzag :colbert:

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

So you see, without my help, they're toast!

InFlames235 posted:

Ya I'd like to know as well.

This was definitely one of the best episodes of GoT ever. The choreography of the fight was incredible and I like how they finally made me like Dany again as well with a pretty sweet battle scene of her own. I couldn't really fault anything about the episode other than I wish Rickon did just a little bit of zigzagging instead of running in a straight line like a complete noob. If you don't like this episode, please just stop watching. You'll never like this show again.

It really was an awesome episode. I was thinking the same thing, that Rickon should have tried to do zig-zags or backpedal so he could see where Ramsay was firing arrows and try to dodge them.

Some of the gory battle scenes with people dying all around Jon had a Saving Private Ryan vibe.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

In It For The Tank posted:

In the books, I'm expecting Ramsay to meet a similar fate (something along the lines of: stabbed in the stomach by Jon, flees while bleeding, eaten by his hounds) but it'll have the additional irony because all of his hounds are named after the women he raped and murdered.

I still hold out hope for the Mannis

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I liked the part where Rickon's body gets extra impaled by a hail of arrows

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Vegetable posted:

Based on this and the previous episode, D&D seem to operate under Age of Empire style logic, where you don't actually OWN a castle until you put up your banner in it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cute n Popular posted:

Why didn't Rickon just zigzag :colbert:

I woulda loved to have seen Rickon zig right into one of Ramsay's troll arrows and Ramsay would get kinda pissed off at seeing him die so close to his own lines.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
This episode was incredible, the cavalry charge, shield wall, and body pile each felt like different stages of a panic attack or something

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Serpentine! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

Why doesn't he get her to just battle rez anyone in his army who dies.

UnWunWun.

Ginette Reno posted:

I still hold out hope for the Mannis

Ramsay will definitely lose the Battle of Ice but he'll flee and survive long enough for Jon to fight him somehow. That's been foreshadowed too much for it not to happen. Perhaps he'll flee to the Dreadfort after Winterfell falls, or might go to the Wall looking for Jeyne and Theon.

• Locked thread