Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
If they ever make a Witcher 4, I'm fine with them throwing away my storyline choices from 3 as long as everyone acknowledges that my Geralt is really, really interested in "Gwent."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What I read a few months ago is that there might be another witcher game but 3 is definitely the end of geralt's story

I have not made it farther than skellige so please do not spoil why that is

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I looked up the stats of the armors to see which to put my points into and Cat looks by far the best but also has that dumb hood. Is there a mod to get rid of it? Master Cat looks so good too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arglebargle III posted:

I looked up the stats of the armors to see which to put my points into and Cat looks by far the best but also has that dumb hood. Is there a mod to get rid of it? Master Cat looks so good too.

Any headgear you apply as a special "pocket" item will override the hood and make Geralt wear it down instead of over his head. Favorite choices are the Professor's Glasses (bought during an auction in the Heart of Stone expansion) or the donkey's ears ("won" in a game of Gwent in Heart of Stone).

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Jerusalem posted:

Any headgear you apply as a special "pocket" item will override the hood and make Geralt wear it down instead of over his head. Favorite choices are the Professor's Glasses (bought during an auction in the Heart of Stone expansion) or the donkey's ears ("won" in a game of Gwent in Heart of Stone).

No the best one is the feather Vivienne gives you, which you wear behind your ear.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

nozh posted:

No the best one is the feather Vivienne gives you, which you wear behind your ear.

holy poo poo

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

nozh posted:

She was supposed to give me a feather? poo poo, gotta check my inventory.

You also get a laurel crown if you win the tourney but I thought it looked kind of lame so I pretty much just go with either ears or spectacles.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

How far along the main B&W quest is the Storm the Castle (I think that's what it's called) part? I want to keep going but I also don't want to hit the end without doing a bunch of these sidequests I haven't finished yet.

e: in case I got the name of the quest wrong, it's right after the artists' soiree.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 20, 2016

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Reposting in the blind hope someone notices this:

I just recently started Right to the Throne, a custom TW1 adventure, and went into the Inn to make some money and I'm finding that Cibor, the dwarf in the Inn, dosen't run out of money when playing dice poker. I've played him and won more then four or five times but he keeps asking me if I want to play. I get some sort of satisfaction from fleecing all the gambling characters in TW1 of all they are worth (hey, I need that money to get things done! ) and it irks me that Cibor seems to have infinite money. Is this true? Could it be a bug or oversight? I'd look for myself in the D'jinni but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I tried looking in his inventory and all I see are question mark icons for some amount of orens and food. Also, I know in other adventures that with gambling characters there is a dialogue trigger that fires when a certain amount of games have been passed, but looking at the file for RTTT dosen't showcase a similar trigger. Can anyone verify this? Should I just move on and let Cibor go?

This has seriously been driving me up the wall for the past week. Someone free me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Walrus Pete posted:

How far along the main B&W quest is the Storm the Castle (I think that's what it's called) part? I want to keep going but I also don't want to hit the end without doing a bunch of these sidequests I haven't finished yet.
Do them all now. Once you start Storm the Castle you're more or less locked into main quests until the ending.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Sindai posted:

Do them all now. Once you start Storm the Castle it's a sprint to the ending.

Dang, good to know. Thanks!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

As far as I know the only quest that the endgame locks out is the one with Guillame, "Warble" something something.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Man, I am bad at video games. This (what I assume to be) final boss fight in B&W is kicking my rear end. Really digging the ex pack, it's been a fun adventure.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Lareine posted:

Anyway, unrelated question. There is a monster den near the Holy Lake (the lake that Lebioda adherents toss their stuff into, not the one with the hermit and the sword.) There is a fleder and a garkain in it along with a dead guy with a diary talking about caving. High up in the cave is a ledge with an illusion but I cannot see a way to get up there. Does this become accessible later in the main quest or what? Is there another entrance? What's up with this?

Anyone? I had the impression that illusions were always either hiding something important or something cool.

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

You will go through that illusory wall from the other side in the course of the scavenger hunt for the griffin grandmaster gear.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

ESDK posted:

You will go through that illusory wall from the other side in the course of the scavenger hunt for the griffin grandmaster gear.

That's the only one I haven't done yet on account of not feeling like taking down Mont Crane.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Finished Blood & Wine. Goddamn, that was fantastic. Witcher 3 stays as game of the year two years in a roll.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Lareine posted:

She was supposed to give me a feather? poo poo, gotta check my inventory.

You also get a laurel crown if you win the tourney but I thought it looked kind of lame so I pretty much just go with either ears or spectacles.

I'm not sure if it's the only way to get it but I got it by finding her in Novigrad after I freed her from her curse without Guillaume's help.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Are there fairly few side quests in blood and wine? I like to roll around and do side stuff before diving into the main quest, and I feel like I'm running out of notice boards and stuff a little sooner than expected. What I've seen from the big quest makes it seem enormous so I'm not complaining, just sort of curious if I'm missing things

E: on looking it up it seems like the sides are a little bare but there's still easily a few good hours I haven't seen yet so that's cool, plus I haven't done nearly anything with the big plot. Again I'm not complaining at all, that season pass was one of the best twenty five video game dollars I've spent

Real Mean Queen fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jun 20, 2016

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

BBJoey posted:

to be fair if you let thaler die in witcher 1 you're a loving failure of a human being

To the best of my knowledge, Thaler dying isn't actually recorded by the W1->2 savegame exporter, so there's no way to know if he's dead in 3. We should have lampshaded it and let the player ask "I thought you were dead." "lol nope".

Before my time, though.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I do not think the horrific creatures who let thaler die in witcher 1 should be acknowledged in any form frankly

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ETPC posted:

Reposting in the blind hope someone notices this:

I just recently started Right to the Throne, a custom TW1 adventure, and went into the Inn to make some money and I'm finding that Cibor, the dwarf in the Inn, dosen't run out of money when playing dice poker. I've played him and won more then four or five times but he keeps asking me if I want to play. I get some sort of satisfaction from fleecing all the gambling characters in TW1 of all they are worth (hey, I need that money to get things done! ) and it irks me that Cibor seems to have infinite money. Is this true? Could it be a bug or oversight? I'd look for myself in the D'jinni but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I tried looking in his inventory and all I see are question mark icons for some amount of orens and food. Also, I know in other adventures that with gambling characters there is a dialogue trigger that fires when a certain amount of games have been passed, but looking at the file for RTTT dosen't showcase a similar trigger. Can anyone verify this? Should I just move on and let Cibor go?

This has seriously been driving me up the wall for the past week. Someone free me.
I haven't played it but it's a custom scenario so it's not as playtested as anything official and if I were you I would assume that if something behaves weirdly then it's a bug. Hell, I would assume the same thing about main game content as well - just move on.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Equine Phantoms was top notch. Only complaint is that the potion isn't permanent. Roach is a total bro.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

man those various kinds of water dragons in Skellige are almost as annoying as the cliff racers from Morrowind. at one point they managed to eat up my whole boat and I had to swim for like 20 minutes just to find to another island that had a boat. also is there a way to fight underwater?

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

You can use your crossbow under water, and while sailing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ok cool thanks. right now my crossbow barely does anything but I guess I will upgrade it since I'm probably going to spend a lot of time in these islands. they are really cool.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Not only that, but the crossbow usually one- or twoshots the flying (or swimming) enemies if you have upgraded it properly. Be sure to use auto-aiming and you'll never have trouble with harpies, sirens or drowners.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Azazell0 posted:

Not only that, but the crossbow usually one- or twoshots the flying (or swimming) enemies if you have upgraded it properly. Be sure to use auto-aiming and you'll never have trouble with harpies, sirens or drowners.

Crossbows usually one- or two-shot underwater enemies as long as you merely make a half-assed effort to replace your current crossbow with a better one if you come across one. No special effort required. Underwater combat is piss easy as long as you don't somehow let yourself get swarmed by multiple mobs or get distracted and run out of air.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Levantine posted:

Equine Phantoms was top notch. Only complaint is that the potion isn't permanent. Roach is a total bro.
Comte revealed earlier in the thread that his original design called for it to be permanent and give Roach a few lines about other quests in Toussaint, but that got cut.

That should have been a higher priority than the main questline imo.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Cowboy Pope posted:

Are there fairly few side quests in blood and wine? I like to roll around and do side stuff before diving into the main quest, and I feel like I'm running out of notice boards and stuff a little sooner than expected. What I've seen from the big quest makes it seem enormous so I'm not complaining, just sort of curious if I'm missing things

E: on looking it up it seems like the sides are a little bare but there's still easily a few good hours I haven't seen yet so that's cool, plus I haven't done nearly anything with the big plot. Again I'm not complaining at all, that season pass was one of the best twenty five video game dollars I've spent

The side quests are better than usual as they have you running around a bit more than the ones in the base game. Buried Treasures are sometimes a good distance away.

ZearothK posted:

Finished Blood & Wine. Goddamn, that was fantastic. Witcher 3 stays as game of the year two years in a roll.

One thing I love about this game is that after the final boss fights, there's a good ten/twenty/an hours more dialogue and main quest stuff, not just an immediate blow off and roll credits. Kill boss, wrap up Dutchess plots, then have a drink and chat by a fire with your vampire buddy. That ending scene was exactly what makes this series and company great.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 20, 2016

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Palpek posted:

I haven't played it but it's a custom scenario so it's not as playtested as anything official and if I were you I would assume that if something behaves weirdly then it's a bug. Hell, I would assume the same thing about main game content as well - just move on.

You have freed me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've become so bad at combat. Even stuff like pressing sign when I meant to parry.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hey dudes, I'm early into this game and I'm having trouble understanding how to level up quicker. It seems that bandits, wolves, etc give almost no exp. All the main quests are way higher level than I am so does this translate to do a fuckload of side quests until I'm closer to the recommended level? I'm level 4 btw. I've tried to accept as many side quests as are offered but even then it seems like a very slow progression.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Hey dudes, I'm early into this game and I'm having trouble understanding how to level up quicker. It seems that bandits, wolves, etc give almost no exp. All the main quests are way higher level than I am so does this translate to do a fuckload of side quests until I'm closer to the recommended level? I'm level 4 btw. I've tried to accept as many side quests as are offered but even then it seems like a very slow progression.

Doing side quests gives you lots of XP. You'll outlevel the main quest pretty easily soon enough if you do a few of them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Slashrat posted:

Crossbows usually one- or two-shot underwater enemies as long as you merely make a half-assed effort to replace your current crossbow with a better one if you come across one. No special effort required. Underwater combat is piss easy as long as you don't somehow let yourself get swarmed by multiple mobs or get distracted and run out of air.

On this note, anyone using the crossbow perk from B&W? Is it actually useful?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Larrymer posted:

Main quest stuff gives the the most xp, always. I expect this is dne deliberately so when you finally hit the required elvel for the side missions you run off and do them as quick as possible, which stops you burning out on the main quest, and all those side missions are loving excellent.
Monster nests are, however, pretty good for xp gain.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Larrymer posted:

You're very early in the game, this is also the most difficult portion. Try following the Bloody Baron / Family Matters main quest chain in Velen, there isn't a lot of combat so you can gain a few levels from dialogue and running around, then more side quests will open up. Also, the Bloody Baron chain is one of the highest points of the game.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Pellisworth posted:

You're very early in the game, this is also the most difficult portion. Try following the Bloody Baron / Family Matters main quest chain in Velen, there isn't a lot of combat so you can gain a few levels from dialogue and running around, then more side quests will open up. Also, the Bloody Baron chain is one of the highest points of the game.

Alright, I'd been avoiding the main quest since it was recommended to be level 5. That drat griffin whipped my rear end so I was trying to be where I should rather than behind.

Anybody have thoughts on the PC version using an xbox 360 controller vs keyboard and mouse? I've been using the controller but am finding the signs (LB) a little awkward to do in real time since I'm generally holding down parry (left trigger). Is the keyboard and mouse better suited? I've gotten used to the controls somewhat but still suck.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Is there any way for me to be able to toss my unwanted decoctions in my stash, or a mod that combines oils/bombs into one section? I've been making everything as I've been able to and the 3-wide rows makes it annoying to scroll past the vast array of mostly useless decoctions to get to my potions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Larrymer posted:

Alright, I'd been avoiding the main quest since it was recommended to be level 5. That drat griffin whipped my rear end so I was trying to be where I should rather than behind.

Anybody have thoughts on the PC version using an xbox 360 controller vs keyboard and mouse? I've been using the controller but am finding the signs (LB) a little awkward to do in real time since I'm generally holding down parry (left trigger). Is the keyboard and mouse better suited? I've gotten used to the controls somewhat but still suck.

The griffin fight kicks your rear end since you are unfamiliar with the combat, might have missed grabbing the swallow and thunderbolt potions before attempting it, and might also be under leveled.

The next set of quests is far more forgiving, only one you might want to go do sidequests before is one where you are asked to go dungeon diving with someone.