Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
So for those of us who are in the extraction zone and retreating, do we need to send in additional orders, or is that it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Unless you tell me otherwise I'm going to assume you're all leaving.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Grasshopper and dadlas need to go, Dadlas has to go back home and get dinner ready for all his children. It is a tough life as a single mechparent.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

AtomikKrab posted:

Grasshopper and dadlas need to go, Dadlas has to go back home and get dinner ready for all his children. It is a tough life as a single mechparent.

At least he hunted enough game for the family to eat well tonight!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

But he could only carry 100 tons.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
So do the evac'ing mechs move first in order to leave the exit hexes clear?
I assume that we can set our movement orders into those hexes. Speaking of that, Ardlen metioned I can make it to 2732 with a PSR, but if I don't turn when I get there it's 6 movement points with my backside to incoming fire. If I go to 2733 or 2734 I can turn towards the hostiles (1 or 2 hex faces respectively) and present my marginally stronger left side and take a few shots.

Who else is exiting this turn? Anyone else needs 2732?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Wow, PTN's dice have been super merciful this mission, I'm afraid hoe badly karma will bite the next couple of pilots in the next couple of missions...

That bastard infantry platoon is finally dead, you guys are starting to withdraw, a Revenant blew up the Mandrill and another is giving the Blood Kite pilot a Very Bad Day (it's effectively out of the fight now with no torsos, right?), and the lights that have the most chance of disrupting your retreat are battered to all hell from shooting this turn. All in all, very good turn by GoonMercenary Company, and I'll be waiting to see how many more Clan mechs you guys take out as you leave.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Green Intern posted:

But he could only carry 100 tons.

I hope he doesn't have to cross any rivers on the way home...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Zaodai posted:

I hope he doesn't have to cross any rivers on the way home...

Ha, I remember when that was first posted in thread. Still as funny as it was then.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

El Spamo posted:

So do the evac'ing mechs move first in order to leave the exit hexes clear?
Yep, so all the evac hexes will be empty by the time we get there.

El Spamo posted:

I assume that we can set our movement orders into those hexes. Speaking of that, Ardlen metioned I can make it to 2732 with a PSR, but if I don't turn when I get there it's 6 movement points with my backside to incoming fire. If I go to 2733 or 2734 I can turn towards the hostiles (1 or 2 hex faces respectively) and present my marginally stronger left side and take a few shots.

Who else is exiting this turn? Anyone else needs 2732?
It takes 7 movement points to get to 2732 (2 facing changes + 1 elevation change + 4 hexes), so it will require a PSR, but you'll be able to change your facing once you get there. The only Mechs that can reach that hex this turn are you, the Ostscout, and the Screamer.

I suppose another option is to put the Ostscout in 2732 and you go to one of the other escape hexes, but that changes which two Mechs will remain for the third evac turn.

(Going to 2733 by walking (no PSR) does put you with your back to incoming fire)

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 20, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This is some real edge of your seat stuff.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Grasshopper should stay since he can jump and has armor he is a very good person to have among the last!

gently caress that he is carrying a friendly. That is fluff important. Its not even a objective not to be captured any longer.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Ardlen posted:

It takes 7 movement points to get to 2732 (2 facing changes + 1 elevation change + 4 hexes), so it will require a PSR, but you'll be able to change your facing once you get there. The only Mechs that can reach that hex this turn are you, the Ostscout, and the Screamer.

From hex 2935? Which hex is the elevation change? OH! Right, 2732 and 2733 are at -1 elevation, gotcha. Definitely a head's up.
The infantry definitely had me freaked out, but I do have some armor left. A bit more than the Ostscout in some spots, a bit less in others.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

GhostStalker posted:

Wow, PTN's dice have been super merciful this mission, I'm afraid hoe badly karma will bite the next couple of pilots in the next couple of missions...

Nah, Vorenus balanced it out with his streak of bad luck. And there's still a turn or two left.

I can't wait to see what Amaris does after he hears how things went. He should replace his current jamming with a video feed of this battle on an endless loop.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

He should replace a portion of his speech with a modified version of the Gigantor theme song celebrating King Dadlas.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm cool with following this merc company for the rest of this LP. I've never felt so strongly for any of the other factions we've been playing.

I mean. Maybe they take up work for Amaris. (the one dude who might not be totally bad for the inner sphere) I would like that I think.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

That was one hell of a successful round for us being in full retreat.

I'm headed for 2734 unless anybody's got an objection - I can't feasably go any further back.

Suggest withdraw this turn: Flashman (weak CT), Salamander (weak head), Dragoon II (open XL torso), Lancelot (open XL torso).

That'll leave Grasshopper, Copperhead, Ostscout and Screamer for next turn. Might want to add the Ostscout or Screamer to this turn, since they can reach the 2732 hex that nobody else really can.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
And, I have that Take A Knee perk that might save my butt if I botch the PSR on a running turn to 2732 though I don't know precisely how would that shake out. I'd bounce off the wall and then PSR to stay stable but stop movement? Can keep moving?
Might be simpler to go for 2733 and leave 2732 for the Ostscout and neither of us have to make PSRs.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Narsham posted:

Nah, Vorenus balanced it out with his streak of bad luck. And there's still a turn or two left.

Forgot about that. I guess success washes away prior memories of failure.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Tempest_56 posted:

That was one hell of a successful round for us being in full retreat.

I'm headed for 2734 unless anybody's got an objection - I can't feasably go any further back.

Suggest withdraw this turn: Flashman (weak CT), Salamander (weak head), Dragoon II (open XL torso), Lancelot (open XL torso).

That'll leave Grasshopper, Copperhead, Ostscout and Screamer for next turn. Might want to add the Ostscout or Screamer to this turn, since they can reach the 2732 hex that nobody else really can.
We really need to fill all the hexes this turn, since the Grendel is still alive and can jump to any of the evac hexes. PTN mentioned that as long as we enter the evac hexes when they are blue, we'll be able to leave. This means that even if enemies enter the evac zone at the end of the third turn when we only have two Mechs there, they still won't stop us from leaving. However, if we leave an empty hex this turn and the Grendel jumps into it, whoever was planning to leave on our third evac turn won't be able to.

Because we want to fill all the hexes, I don't think the Salamander should move to 2734, since that's a better hex for the Copperhead to go.

I put together a table of who could move to which evac hexes, and there's a copy on the google doc:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It might not be a terrible idea for the Ostscout to withdraw this turn and give the Lancelot an easier time of escaping - it might be fast, but it's still a light and could lose a leg or a torso easily enough. Although yeah, find out what the deal is with the Grasshopper protecting Icepick or passing him off and factor that in when deciding who stays to the last round.

Man, something like 50 clan mechs responded to the raid and ~20 are KIA, plus eight lost warplanes (nobody cares about infantry though!). The Wiki tells me that's somewhere in the radius of a Cluster, itself a third to a fifth of a galaxy, the largest Clan military unit. Carlos's Crusaders were facing about 50 Capellan mechs for their whole planet. While losing a battleship might make everything else seem like small potatoes by comparison, the players alone have probably made this position indefensible and that's before the robo-guerillas get to work, Republic strategists must be salivating.

Even though I've pushed for playing conservatively and your luck could still break at any moment, things are going so well the temptation to go for the bonus objective is real. At the current rate the last wave will extract on the turn with just two rounds left on the clock - although unless the Revenants stay bloodthirsty enough to keep pulling down mechs three times their weight, there's probably no way to hang on that much longer.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dolash posted:

It might not be a terrible idea for the Ostscout to withdraw this turn and give the Lancelot an easier time of escaping - it might be fast, but it's still a light and could lose a leg or a torso easily enough. Although yeah, find out what the deal is with the Grasshopper protecting Icepick or passing him off and factor that in when deciding who stays to the last round.

Man, something like 50 clan mechs responded to the raid and ~20 are KIA, plus eight lost warplanes (nobody cares about infantry though!). The Wiki tells me that's somewhere in the radius of a Cluster, itself a third to a fifth of a galaxy, the largest Clan military unit. Carlos's Crusaders were facing about 50 Capellan mechs for their whole planet. While losing a battleship might make everything else seem like small potatoes by comparison, the players alone have probably made this position indefensible and that's before the robo-guerillas get to work, Republic strategists must be salivating.

Even though I've pushed for playing conservatively and your luck could still break at any moment, things are going so well the temptation to go for the bonus objective is real. At the current rate the last wave will extract on the turn with just two rounds left on the clock - although unless the Revenants stay bloodthirsty enough to keep pulling down mechs three times their weight, there's probably no way to hang on that much longer.

If there wasn't a super pilot in a Hellstar playing turret over the evac point I'd be tempted to holler for the secondary but that on its own makes it far too risky.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run. Walk away, mechs with hands saluting with single digits as they exfil scot free.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
PTN's dice out for his blood this mission. What a spectacle.

Is 42,300,000 c-bills a lot of money?

Kial fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 20, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kial posted:

Is 42,300,000 c-bills a lot of money?

It'll buy you an entire assault lance at list price with enough left over to mostly fill out a scout lance to go with it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Or apparently 2/3rds of a platoon of jump infantry to stand in a doorway.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Per the battle with the Taurians, Icepick is fine unless all the arm/s dedicated to holding him in any round are shot off.
So if the Grasshopper fires from no arms, he is actually very secure.

The Grasshopper is still the safest option by far for the third round, though the unit represents two lives. If he can hand off Icepick with a combined risk of 5% or less then it's probably worth the risk.
If he can't hand off Icepick he's probably still the best bet. Noone else has got anything remotely like an average combined 55 and minimum total of 45 armor and structure for the vital points, -2 to crit rolls and an uncappable head. +4 from the Ostscout over +2 would be an improvement sure, but the Grasshopper can tank pretty much anything that isn't triple repeat location hits by the Hellstar, and Ath won't be in position to fire into the two back hexes the last round. If the Ostscout gets hit even once this round outside of the arms by a headcapper it's not even a good candidate anymore.

Hardened armor really is great. I wonder what a hardened Screamer with a Gauss rifle replacing the Republic ERPPC would look like... More crit slots taken up by the armor and ammo, but less heat sinks by far, probably still enough room for a laser or two and a probe? Anyway, enough head armor and a wealth of armor everywhere seems worth the cost and -1 to move and piloting. 10 jump still gets +5.

Quite the surprise there's all those risky XL engines about.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 20, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RA Rx posted:

Per the battle with the Taurians, Icepick is fine unless all the arm/s dedicated to holding him in any round are shot off.
So if the Grasshopper fires from no arms, he is actually very secure.

The Grasshopper is still the safest option by far for the third round, though the unit represents two lives. If he can hand off Icepick with a combined risk of TH3 or less then it's probably worth the risk.
If he can't hand off Icepick he's probably still the best bet. Noone else has got anything remotely like an average combined 55 and minimum total of 45 armor and structure for the vital points, -2 to crit rolls and an uncappable head. +4 from the Ostscout over +2 would be an improvement sure, but the Grasshopper can tank pretty much anything that isn't triple repeat location hits by the Hellstar, and Ath won't be in position to fire into the two back hexes the last round. If the Ostscout gets hit even once this round outside of the arms by a a headcapper it's not even a good candidate anymore.

Hardened armor really is great. I wonder what a hardened Screamer with a Gauss rifle replacing the Republic ERPPC would look like... More crit slots taken up by the armor and ammo, but less heat sinks by far, probably still enough room for a laser or two or a probe? Anyway, enough head armor and a wealth of armor everywhere seems worth the cost and -1 to move and piloting. 10 jump still gets +5.

Quite the surprise there's all those risky XL engines about.

Makes sense. My MLs have been a waste of space so far this mission, so I'll use both arms to shield and be the tailend Charlie. Me and the Screamer?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RA Rx posted:

Hardened armor really is great. I wonder what a hardened Screamer with a Gauss rifle replacing the Republic ERPPC would look like... More crit slots taken up by the armor and ammo, but less heat sinks by far, probably still enough room for a laser or two or a probe? Anyway, enough head armor and a wealth of armor everywhere seems worth the cost and -1 to move and piloting. 10 jump still gets +5.

You'd never fit a gauss on the Screamer. It's packed to the gills (with a small cockpit and clan endosteel/ferrofibrous armor) and actually only mounts 1 heatsink over the free ones. Hardened armor works great if you have weight to spare but the Screamer is the leanest you can possibly have at that movement profile.

There's also a distinct lack of equipment you could actually replace the lasers with. A clan er large laser would fit, but you'd never be able to fire it for all the heat. A medium vspl could work, but I'm not sure we've 100% confirmed those for existing yet and it wouldn't gain enough range to see use.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
The more dudes around for that last round the better. And icepick might resent being used as ablative armor but it's still the best option.

I'd really like it if the phoenix hawk and ostscout and screamer stuck around. Just lots of move mods and the clanners having to split fire.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Nullkigan posted:

How many player character have actually died in the thread? A good number have been shot out of their rides, but actually croaking seems hilariously rare all things considered.

The vast majority of dead player characters are probably the tankers. Not only was their regiment nearly completely wiped out, but each tank had several crew members (although some of those managed to escape according to the fluff).

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

GhostStalker posted:

That bastard infantry platoon is finally dead, you guys are starting to withdraw, a Revenant blew up the Mandrill and another is giving the Blood Kite pilot a Very Bad Day (it's effectively out of the fight now with no torsos, right?), and the lights that have the most chance of disrupting your retreat are battered to all hell from shooting this turn. All in all, very good turn by GoonMercenary Company, and I'll be waiting to see how many more Clan mechs you guys take out as you leave.

The Blood Kite has been reduced to a single ER Large Laser, plus the pilot is unconscious and suffering from /five/ Pilot Hits (four from explosions, one from falling down after he fell unconscious). I think it's pretty safe to assume that even if the guy wakes up in time to do anything about the Demon Hawk's, he'll probably stumble off to the nearest bar instead to drink away the massive, all-consuming headache he has and cry big Clanner tears into his drink at having been schooled by something that Beeps and Boops.

Probably right next to the /other/ Clanner who nearly killed himself last mission after getting his honor pissed all over by Robo-Scooby/

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Guys, I think that between all the planning you are forgetting one important thing.

The dadlas HAS to make his best :mediocre: impression before leaving.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Xarn posted:

Guys, I think that between all the planning you are forgetting one important thing.

The dadlas HAS to make his best :mediocre: impression before leaving.

I think that moment has passed, since I basically just left.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Infected posted:

Maybe in Amaris' propaganda video then? :v:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Infected posted:

Wideband transmission as you walk off

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

About filling those exit hexes... what are the chances the Grendel can survive the combined firepower of the remaining player mechs at close range (plus some melee)?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

pun pundit posted:

About filling those exit hexes... what are the chances the Grendel can survive the combined firepower of the remaining player mechs at close range (plus some melee)?

I'm alpha striking the little bastard as I exit, so there's that at least. I'm surprised it's still alive, considering how quickly bigger and tougher mechs have done down in an eyeblink this fight.

I don't think we need to worry too hard about it - the Grendel is one hit short of dead, and it's the only threat to us escaping (barring a bad luck hit at the last second). Let's not risk things by stumbling over each other and risking skidouts this turn - we're far more likely to die from rushing than we are by a nearly dead light mech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Tempest_56 posted:

I'm alpha striking the little bastard as I exit, so there's that at least. I'm surprised it's still alive, considering how quickly bigger and tougher mechs have done down in an eyeblink this fight.

Grendels/Mongrels are really good. They're everything the Dragonfly/Viper could've been if the Clans hadn't decided to put a stupid 8/12 engine in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Which dog is the boom dog?

• Locked thread