Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

kcroy posted:

what a pussy

That is why I never thought he was a true knight. Dayne followed his orders until the end but Selmy allowed himself to be captured alive and then turned cloak when he realised the war was lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Can't wait to be disappointed tonight.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bemis posted:

That is why I never thought he was a true knight. Dayne followed his orders until the end but Selmy allowed himself to be captured alive and then turned cloak when he realised the war was lost.

Barristan died serving the heir of the mad king

So that's something, I guess

I also can't wait to be disappoint tonight

See my lemon butter recipe on instagram

You know where it goes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kinda wanna rewatch blackwater and the wall battle. those episodes were SIICK

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Bemis posted:

:lol:

Barristan was severely wounded and Robert pardoned him on the spot (Roose Bolton said to cut his throat). Others, like Tywin, etc. would have done the same since they recognize the value of a name.

Barristan was so wounded that he wasn't at court at first - thus he missed Rhaegar's dead kids being presented - and did have misgivings about Jaime keeping his white cloak and thinks to himself that he would have killed Robert himself if he so much as smiled at their corpses.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I'm watching the Cavs /Warriors game instead of game of thrones at 9. Looking forward to checking this thread to get a feel for how disappointed I'll be with the episode.

There is another episode next week too right? This is #9, right?

Wonder what kind of "big moment" they will close the season on.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Remember tubgirl?

It. Must. Be.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dirt posted:

I'm watching the Cavs /Warriors game instead of game of thrones at 9. Looking forward to checking this thread to get a feel for how disappointed I'll be with the episode.

There is another episode next week too right? This is #9, right?

Wonder what kind of "big moment" they will close the season on.
Is there any doubt it will be Jon's parentage?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Spoiler details of Episode 10 have been surprisingly light but we do know that there is a flashback to the ToJ and Lyanna whispers something to Ned. We don't hear what she says though lol. But the scene then shifts straight to Jon. So I guess it's still not outright confirmed and no one in the show knows either.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Actually we know she says "promise me, ned" because that's what she said.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Actually we know she says "promise me, ned" because that's what she said.

And he was a straight up dude, a gods fearing man and kept his prom-diddly-omise about the big secret

If it's yellow, you've got lannister, fellow, if it's brown, you're in barry town

The whole thing is reversed north of the wall though

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

If you look Valyrian you're no kin of Tyrion.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If you look Valyrian you're no kin of Tyrion.

new thread title

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
3 minutes until Bastard Bowl

Get kinda hype

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm going to emulate Brienne and go on a long walk to soak up all the actual despair irl

Look at all this plight, kids

Windows up

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Looks like HBONOW is overloaded and I can't get the episode to play. Disappointment deferred.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

CaptainRightful posted:

Looks like HBONOW is overloaded and I can't get the episode to play. Disappointment deferred.

LMAO I pay for HBO NOW and it's just a white screen.

I used my mom's login from half a country away and HBOGO is running smoothly.

Much like GRRM's writing career, it's like HBO is actively trying to not make money.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
In the opening credits theTitan of Braavos has a broken sword but it still stands.

Much like Syrio Forel.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

That was...the worst episode of the entire series. I can't believe that they wasted so much of their cgi budget on this hot trash and D&Ds obsession with Ramsay being Prince Perfect ruined this entire story arc. Jon Snow shouldn't be allowed to guard a loving village going by show lore.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I'm guessing Ramsay killed everyone and became a super saiyan, yes?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I thought it was a great episode tbh. Sansa and Littlefinger - I wonder how that will turn out.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's a happy ending. You know, if you ignore the 2000 guys who died because Jon Snow was really mad that a guy took his house.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think Sansa feeds him to his hounds, which should've happened around the time he stabbed Roose, if not before. They could've just said "Something something subversion realism" when called on it, I think the show watchers would've just been thankful he was loving gone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So this is what happens when you direct a battle sequence like a horror movie. What the christ, that was like Braveheart except less subtle. Clearly the reason Ramsay was winning for most of it is because he's played the Total War games.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Brother Friendship posted:

That was...the worst episode of the entire series. I can't believe that they wasted so much of their cgi budget on this hot trash and D&Ds obsession with Ramsay being Prince Perfect ruined this entire story arc. Jon Snow shouldn't be allowed to guard a loving village going by show lore.

How did you get interdimensional technology to post from Opposite Land, my droog?

I seriously don't understand all of the negativity surrounding the show lately. I have a couple of friends that I read the books with years ago that treat the show as if it's stomped its dirty boots upon the sacrosanct. I can understand not liking an episode but to call something that had good cinematography, scoring, etc. as "the worst of the series" is just hyperbole.

This isn't aimed solely at you, it's just something that baffles me. There's this weird undercurrent on the internet where everything is either "the worst" or "the best, most epic thing ever" with no in-between. I never thought I'd be sticking up for the show since I preferred the first three books to it yet here I am.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah I thought that episode was great, the battle scene with Jon in the fray getting pelted by arrows and fighting for his life was one of the best scenes I've ever seen, in GOT or otherwise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The final battle in The Last Kingdom was better. Like I said though, battle scene by way of horror movie is an interesting take.

EDIT: Against my better judgement I looked at the bad thread in TVIV and they made a good point for once. Jon getting his army massacred could have totally been avoided if Sansa had told him she had a giant cavalry force waiting to go.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 20, 2016

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Im always astounded by people who clearly find no enjoyment in the show, yet watch it anyway.

I mean, its ok to criticise since it has some truly awful episodes, but if you did not like that episode, why do you continue to watch? That's about as good as it gets. Stop torturing yourselves.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Yeah, some people have dwelt in The Bad Thread for so long they can't even recognize anything good (yet they feel compelled to keep reading and watching). There were problems in that episode but the filming of the battle scene was not one of them.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

Yeah, some people have dwelt in The Bad Thread for so long they can't even recognize anything good (yet they feel compelled to keep reading and watching). There were problems in that episode but the filming of the battle scene was not one of them.

its not even whether the episode was good or not. I personally thought it was very well directed and acted and terribly written, but it was enjoyable.

These people clearly find no enjoyment in it. It is baffling to me that they make the conscious decision to spend an hour of their (I guess not so valuable) time watching something they know they will hate and then spend more of their time afterwords crying about it over the internet.

I mean, episode 8 was awful, but you cant at least admit that this one was much better.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

TommyGun85 posted:

its not even whether the episode was good or not. I personally thought it was very well directed and acted and terribly written, but it was enjoyable.

These people clearly find no enjoyment in it. It is baffling to me that they make the conscious decision to spend an hour of their (I guess not so valuable) time watching something they know they will hate and then spend more of their time afterwords crying about it over the internet.

I mean, episode 8 was awful, but you cant at least admit that this one was much better.

Go find a less bad thread my sweet summer child

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
That episode owned. Two absolutely huge milestones were taken care of: dany gets her dragons, navy, army, and small council ready to actually conquer westeros, and winterfell is restored. And it was totally kickass action for most of the episode.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Good episode, but yeah Sansa not saying 'hey we've got a loving cavalry army coming can't we wait like an hour or so?' was really dumb. Yeah not every episode needs to subvert tropes or whatever but the "Just in Time" is a particularly bad one especially when it's extremely obvious and forced.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It's a happy ending. You know, if you ignore the 2000 guys who died because Jon Snow was really mad that a guy took his house.

let's be honest, it was more like 1500. there was a pretty big chunk of people still standing when the Vale knights showed up, not to mention the wounded casualties they were probably able to scrounge up from underneath the loving mountains of bodies. they killed way more loving Bolton/Umber/Karstarks. what, was Ramsay's army 6000? they're dead. a Pyrrhic victory, to be sure, hey.

i blame the Starks. as it was said, if Sansa had told Jon she had some cavalry in reserve, he wouldn't have suffered such heavy losses. likewise, if Jon had listened to Sansa's warnings to accept that Rickon was dead and not let himself get baited by Ramsey, he wouldn't have suffered such heavy losses. Ramsey is a poo poo, but he's a predictable poo poo and Sansa totally called it.

also, yeah, episode was a lot of fun to watch. writing only okay. Jon being a lovely commander was frustrating, but goddamn if it didn't give us one helluva well-shot battle scene. truly harrowing. battle as horror was good. The Last Kingdom's battle scene was also good. it's possible to like two different battles in two different tv shows. regardless, with no more captured Starks to manipulate Jon and with Sansa moving past her hang ups about doing unsavory things, I hope they can move on to become effective battle strategists.

also, the siege of meereen was hilarious. not that it was poorly done, like i found it enjoyable enough, but holy gently caress it really underscored GRRM's loving problem: the fact that there should be no loving Meereenese knot. what are a bunch of siege ships going to do against a bunch of fast moving dragons? there's no loving comparison. it's like that loving cyberbulling tweet meme. hahah there is no loving siege of meereen haha just loving burn it with dragons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blind Sally posted:

goddamn if it didn't give us one helluva well-shot battle scene. truly harrowing. battle as horror was good. The Last Kingdom's battle scene was also good. it's possible to like two different battles in two different tv shows.

Oh I know, I like both, but I definitely give the edge to The Last Kingdom because goddamn if it wasn't refreshing to see people using actual (sort of) battlefield tactics in that show. Shield walls are cool. This one was good too in that war is hell style of filming.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Brother Friendship posted:

Jon Snow shouldn't be allowed to guard a loving village going by show lore.
Yeah I don't think he's fit to lord command a minor league baseball training camp but I liked the episode.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Was a good episode if you don't think too hard about it(this is the theme of the show basically).

That whole part where Jon is getting buried in bodies was pretty brutal. The flying around on the dragon poo poo was pretty corny though.

Was better than I expected considering we knew what was going to happen basically from the spoilers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know nothing, Jon Snow (about military tactics, evidently) Certainly nice to see a proper spear army onscreen showing just why Spears are so goddamn effective.

One thing I found hilarious was how once Wun Wun broke down the gate, everyone suddenly has bows and all melee combat turns into a shooting match like it's a swat team storming an apartment.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 20, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Arcsquad12 posted:

One thing I found hilarious was how once Wun Wun broke down the gate, everyone suddenly has bows and all melee combat turns into a shooting match like it's a swat team storming an apartment.

that made sense since Ramsey would leave archers in Winterfell to shoot at people and the bulk of the people remaining in Snow's army were the archers that Davos brought late to the party. i thought it was hilarious that Ramsay had to go all sharpshooter and stick in arrow in Wun Wun's eye. of all the spoilers, i kinda hoped that one wouldn't turn out to be true. loving hell. also, Jon should've just had everyone stick Ramzey full of arrows. that walk up to him while catching arrows in a shield was lame.

EDIT: wait, poo poo, yeah, the SWAT time thing was funny. everyone shooting each other made sense. i don't know what a close-quarters arrow fight would look like though so i guess the directors were just winging it.

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

IT BEGINS posted:

Good episode, but yeah Sansa not saying 'hey we've got a loving cavalry army coming can't we wait like an hour or so?' was really dumb. Yeah not every episode needs to subvert tropes or whatever but the "Just in Time" is a particularly bad one especially when it's extremely obvious and forced.

Yeah, the best I can think of is either a) After her meeting with Jon, Sansa rode out all night to speak to Little Finger and arrange for him to send his army that was already mobilized because reasons, or b) Sansa already had the reinforcements ready when she's speaking with Jon. She neglects to tell him about the reinforcements because she knows if he thinks he has any additional troops he'll just send them straight into his giant glorious charge. She hides the existence of the extra soldiers and has them hold back as reserves to counter charge once Ramsay does whatever sneaky poo poo he has planned.

A feels most likely but it's weird that they've gotten every soldier they can, they are only at half Ramsay's force and they're charging anyway, and nobody thinks "let's try asking Little Finger for help", B makes Sansa seem like a sociopath for holding back soldiers from her brother and lets him charge against overwhelming odds.

Still a good episode overall, just lots of little things that feel like they were poorly thought out if you focus on them.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 20, 2016