Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Saint Celestine posted:

Does anyone else's game grind to a halt late game when opening the Air map?

Yeah, it's bizarre. The game would slow down enough around the mid-to-late 40s but going into air mode actually made me worried it had frozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

OddObserver posted:

OK, where did Luxembourg get the 51 divisions it was offering me as an expeditionary force...?

Most of them are those incredibly lovely Force Publique (?) Divisions that are basically reinforced battalions and completely worthless. Can't even do rear area security well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Saint Celestine posted:

Does anyone else's game grind to a halt late game when opening the Air map?

Arumba noted it as a source of lag in his germany game, and I assume his rig is fairly powerful on account of it being his livelihood. Hopefully paradox does something about it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So this is a thing.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
I love when you unlock the German Komet fighter you get the message

"A KOMET HAS BEEN SPOTTED IN THE SKY!"
"Lose -1 Stability, a vase falls over."

I love it so much.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Thunder Moose posted:

I love when you unlock the German Komet fighter you get the message

"A KOMET HAS BEEN SPOTTED IN THE SKY!"
"Lose -1 Stability, a vase falls over."

I love it so much.

This is the best developer in-joke :allears:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

So what's the best way to invade the US as Germany? I have Venezuela and the Dominican Republic in the Axis, so I'm assuming it's best to start moving troops and whatnot over there. I'd rather not do a land war up through Central America, but my surface fleet got completely wiped out taking England.

Great Britain has a nasty habit of yanking European minors (BBC joke) in front of them- after finishing off Russia, they immediate convinced Sweden and Norway to jump in the war- which was another 6 months of clearing them out and extra annoying because a month after joining the Allies Sweden finally flipped to Fascism. After them, GB convinced Denmark to join the Allies. Then Switzerland. I DONT EVEN WANT TO GARRISON THESE CHUMP COUNTRIES.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

So this is a thing.

:allears:

If the USSR successfully invades America, are there any events like that? Maybe there could be something with the Duke and Stalin.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

What's the appropriate settings to make sure the units I'm building don't get trapped behind an upgrade queue? I feel like I've had some major delays in building new units and I realized it's probably because I've added a new infantry weapon type/production line, and the units will wait until they can get the newest toy, instead of grabbing stuff from the stockpile. Like I'm just trying to build garrison divisions- I set them on low priority for upgrades, but they'll still wait for weapons when they're being "built".

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

What's the appropriate settings to make sure the units I'm building don't get trapped behind an upgrade queue? I feel like I've had some major delays in building new units and I realized it's probably because I've added a new infantry weapon type/production line, and the units will wait until they can get the newest toy, instead of grabbing stuff from the stockpile. Like I'm just trying to build garrison divisions- I set them on low priority for upgrades, but they'll still wait for weapons when they're being "built".

Deploy them early and let them build up while on the map? I think that should work.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Is this game "harder" than EU4 or CK2 to get into with no experience?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

Most of them are those incredibly lovely Force Publique (?) Divisions that are basically reinforced battalions and completely worthless. Can't even do rear area security well.

Even that might still be pushing it for an OPM. Maybe I hallucinated a 5 in front of a 1, from playing too much?
The Swiss actually sent over some good stuff, like divisions with multiple line arty, and of course mountain infantry, along with some weaker stuff. I kinda expected that from them, though, and
it actually did help a lot (since with them non-neutral I had an extra gap of border to cover as France..)

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

In the training screen, you can set the priority for upgrades, replacements and each group of units being raised. with the little buttons on the right, so that each category will only have equipment allocated to it when all higher priority ones already do.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 20, 2016

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Top Hats Monthly posted:

What's the fastest you can get to 1950s Intercontinental Bombers? I want the US to have a monopoly on the air.

Just build a few thousand B17s or liberators and get the flying fortress focus.

You'll be able to gain air supiority with just those.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

So this is a thing.

If you dig into the code, there is a strange line on this item where this event won't fire if there's something called the "chaplin_resistance" present.

I love it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I tried a Mexico game and it did not go well. I suppose I didn't really have enough divisions, and I suppose conducting offensives in both the Rockies and Texas at the same time didn't work either -- I got bogged down a few provinces across the border and by late 1940 the US joined the Allies and I got declared on by half the world. It's been a while since I played a WWII game, I think I need to go back to basic tactics school.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
So a completely decimated Japan just joined Bulgaria's faction just as I was mopping up the Home Islands as the PRC. Do I really have to patrol all the waters between China and Bulgaria and do a naval invasion, because I'm still part of the Chinese United Front?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Neobdragon posted:

I hope for the June patch they merge some sea-zones and air-zones, they are great ideas but theres honestly too many of both. The UK for example has too many air-zones, while a situation like France where its split into 2 or Australia where theres only 1 air-zone is actually quite fun for gameplay. Theres too many drat sea-zones for navies to cover, especially when I want my Pacific fleet to kinda just wander around the entire pacific to guard all my islands as Japan.

Having fewer air-zones to micromanage would be great, but they would have to change some mechanics to make it work. The air-zones are already way too big, because you get punished for not having enough range to completely cover the zone. Take the "Northern Balkans" for example:

I don't have enough range to completely cover the zone, even though my airfield is on the border. I don't care about the western part though, I just want my planes to cover the eastern part where I'm actually fighting. It doesn't matter in the slightest that my planes can't reach Budapest, because I'm not even at war with Hungary, but somehow that makes my planes worse at fighting the Romanians adjacent to the airbase.

It's even worse with bigger air-zones, for example in Siberia.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So a completely decimated Japan just joined Bulgaria's faction just as I was mopping up the Home Islands as the PRC. Do I really have to patrol all the waters between China and Bulgaria and do a naval invasion, because I'm still part of the Chinese United Front?

Bulgaria isn't a major so probably not.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

So what's the best way to invade the US as Germany? I have Venezuela and the Dominican Republic in the Axis, so I'm assuming it's best to start moving troops and whatnot over there. I'd rather not do a land war up through Central America, but my surface fleet got completely wiped out taking England.

Just pulled off a naval invasion through Greenland/England -> Newfoundland (turned out to be unnecessary) -> New England. First wave was two infantry armies, and then I moved mobile armies in one by one as the front expanded. The logistics of a Canada invasion are atrocious though, I spent a good three months or so just building naval bases to get supply throughput after landing.

Fleets can actually be replaced reasonably quick. I pretty much ignored them until 1943 or so (didn't even do research) and by 1945 I was sporting two carrier groups of 4 carriers each, with another carrier group finishing up. The US Navy had obliged me by getting trapped in the Mediterranean and wiped out by naval bombers so I never got a proper carrier battle.

Also the US surrenders if you manage to take a line running roughly Chicago-New Orleans, which was a bit disappointing - I had my three panzer armies poised to charge across the midwest in an operation that would have made Zhukov weep with joy.

Also the US had something like 12k planes in reserve that never showed up, OH loving WELL.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

If it is actually Bulgaria's faction, as in Bulgaria started it and leads it, then Bulgaria will count as a major in that war.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So in my PRC campaign, I actually managed to invade and occupy Japan. Except they joined the Axis just a few months before I was able to clinch it.Do I just have to wait until the Allies crush the Axis, or what? Because I sure don't have any capacity to invade across oceans.

At least Siam also joined the Axis, giving me a good nearby target. Something tells me that's not going to be enough, however.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So are there any good strategy/tactics tutorials? (Preferably written but I guess everyone does videos nowadays). I guess I know the basics, about using entrenchment bonuses and terrain, and pinning enemy units while trying to encircle them, but some more details would always be helpful. Like I'm going to try the Mexico game again, and I have to cross a lot of rivers, so I should be putting engineers in all my divisions, right

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

No Åland is Real China.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Stairmaster posted:

It is when it forms the Brotherhood of Europe. Thankfully the Soviets invaded Finland who promptly joined Bulgaria's faction and I could invade through the USSR.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Holy poo poo CAS get about a million times better deployed in wings of 100 instead of just throwing as many as you have available into one wing. Is the same true of fighters?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
As Italy, did anyone try to build 5 AA guns and radar next to a port and park your fleet there while you deal with the British airfields?
My fleet always get decimated by land based aircrafts despite being destroyer heavy and I can't afford more than 1 fighter production line. As if the British home fleet wasn't enough to deal with.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 20, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gort posted:

Holy poo poo CAS get about a million times better deployed in wings of 100 instead of just throwing as many as you have available into one wing. Is the same true of fighters?

Yeah. I read the "always use wings of 100" advice on this "over 200 tips for new players" reddit post and since then my airforces have in general done a much, much better job.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So in my PRC campaign, I actually managed to invade and occupy Japan. Except they joined the Axis just a few months before I was able to clinch it.Do I just have to wait until the Allies crush the Axis, or what? Because I sure don't have any capacity to invade across oceans.

At least Siam also joined the Axis, giving me a good nearby target. Something tells me that's not going to be enough, however.

If the Soviets are at war with the Axis you get military access through them, so you can send a few million men through Siberia. It works better than it sounds.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Yeah. I read the "always use wings of 100" advice on this "over 200 tips for new players" reddit post and since then my airforces have in general done a much, much better job.

Going down from 100 to 50 further increases efficiency, which is kinda dumb.

If you have the time, make a non-ironman save game, start a war and leave your planes out of it. Then assign 20x 100 planes and check the mission efficiency. Reload the game, do the same with 40x 50 planes.
I did it with 2000, 2x 1000, 4x 500, 8x 250, 20x 100, 40x50, 100x20, 200x10.

Luckily there was no improvement in going lower than 50. This is for CAS, Fighters and Tactical Bombers. Naval and carrier aren't as easy to test.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Tindahbawx posted:

For whoever's filling in that Modern Day mod some goon is doing, this website lists historical election results for African nations, as well as their election frequency:

http://africanelections.tripod.com/index.html

Also BBC got some decent timelines that are easy to glance over and make sure there were no coups or whatever the month after election.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Synthetic factories are almost never worth it? Even as Germany?

Aside from a super-early invasion of the Netherlands, I'm not sure how you'd keep up with oil demands prior to ~39-40 when you might be able to invade Romania.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Do nukes only have an effect on national unity when dropped on a province that 1.) has VP's and 2.) is a core of the country that owns it?

I'm at January 1948 in an ironman Italy game. The Axis has completely annihilated the Comintern and Eurasia + Africa are split pretty much completely in four spheres of influence: Germany in northern/central/eastern Europe up to the Urals, Italy in the Mediterranean/Balkans/Middle East/all of Africa, Iran in Persia and the entire subcontinent, and Japan with basically everything east of the Urals. The only holdout is the UK, who currently has over 20,000 planes if my intelligence is to be believed. I can't nuke the island because there's no way I can get air superiority, nor can I invade because the American navy is guarding it (I've already completely destroyed the Royal Navy, but my forces have depleted due to attrition and I can't also take down the Americans too).

So I nuked Ceylon. It didn't do anything to Britain's national unity, so I assume it has to be a core.

As a test, I nuked another country. I had a stockpile of five nukes and sent them to Central America, where I nuked Nicaragua (it was easy because El Salvador was an ally and Nicaragua has basically no air force). Nuking the capital (VP) made them take a fairly paltry national unity penalty. Nuking a non-VP province had no effect.

Also, shouldn't a nuke have a much greater effect on national unity? I mean, it only took two for Japan to unconditionally surrender.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Oil isn't really the problem for Germany though, rubber is. You can trade for both rubber and oil until war breaks out, then you just grab Romania early which gets you enough oil. There's no easy source of rubber to be had though, and the synthetic factories don't produce very much.

In theory you could get Japan in your faction and buy their rubber once they grab the British and Dutch territories in Asia, but that probably isn't going to happen with Japan played by the AI.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Apoffys posted:

Oil isn't really the problem for Germany though, rubber is. You can trade for both rubber and oil until war breaks out, then you just grab Romania early which gets you enough oil. There's no easy source of rubber to be had though, and the synthetic factories don't produce very much.

In theory you could get Japan in your faction and buy their rubber once they grab the British and Dutch territories in Asia, but that probably isn't going to happen with Japan played by the AI.

I went with a mod that lets me build synthetic rubber factories, so I got that at least- yeah I wouldn't trust Japan to get SE Asia without my help.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Also on my wishlist- a simplified terrain map mode, so I can more easily see what the terrain of a province is, and where exactly rivers are splitting an area.

The map is great from a middle to high zoom, but once you get in close and try to spot things like exactly where the marshes of Belorussia are, a ton of stuff gets in your way.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Drone posted:

This is a cool list of tips. The 100-sized air wings thing is just for aces, though. For wings that don't have aces, I don't think size matters at all.

A random tip that they don't mention:

When starting the game, make sure you get your production setup right before unpausing. Adding extra factories to a production line does NOT decrease production efficiency in the first hour of a scenario. This is hugely important. Max out your most crucial goods on hour one to make sure you're producing them at full force from the start.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
No, size still matters even then; 100 sized is a good fit because it has a good amount of fight without being overbearing, so it can fly, do its mission and then land to rest/repair and it'll still be effective at its job without killing your air presence forever.

In particular for CAS and Tacs, a squadron can only be in one battle at a time. It might be prudent to deploy them in 50s instead, but that might get destroyed by fighters??? Dunno.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Apoffys posted:

It is highly recommended as Germany that you annex the Netherlands in 1936. This gives you a crapload of natural resources, and the Allies don't give a poo poo. This reduces the need for building civilian factories or synthetic refineries. It does skyrocket World Tension super early, but I suspect that the AI is so bad that they won't be able to properly to take advantage of the opportunity that generates. This strategy could easily backfire in multiplayer due to the world tension factor, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Strudel Man posted:

Compared to the hot war which came just before it, it was reasonably chill.

I was around for a decent chunk of it and "I might get a four minute warning of a massive thermonuclear strike as an alarm call" was not usually filed under chill.

That said, I might well take "sane Soviets with nukes" over "irrational women- and gay-hating eschatologists with a beheading fetish".