Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

drat Bananas posted:

He went to doggie day camp a week ago so I'm pretty sure he caught something there. This sucks because he had his bordetella vaccine in March but now I'm reading that sometimes it doesn't always work wtf!

Just like any vaccine, I'm afraid. Some are more effective than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

If you're taking a dog with kennel cough to the vets let them know ahead of time. My vets don't let kc dogs in the waiting room as they can spread it to other dogs there

Also when all mine got KC they didn't go to the vets. I gave everyone simple lynctus and no exercise for a week and even the puppy was back to normal within a week vOv

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Bordatella shots are like the flu shot, they only protect against certain strains so you can still get kennel cough with the vaccine but it's not as bad as not having the vaccine at all.

I've had multiple vets tell me the cough sounds worse than it is, but it's still hard to listen to.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
It does sound awful. He was up literally the whole night coughing and neither of us got any sleep. :( But now the vet appointment is behind us and he has 6 pills to take per day (!) for the next couple weeks. Hopefully he feels better soon!

edit: not 6 different pills, if that sounds alarming, just antibiotics 2x day and cough suppressant 4x day.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 20, 2016

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Last time my dog got kennel cough we were in the middle of moving, we dropped the dogs off at daycare so they weren't underfoot while we were packing and moving, then once we got to our new house a day or two later the dog started coughing so hard he was puking. The first thing we had to do in our new city was find a vet.

If you haven't already I would let the daycare know your dog has come down with KC so they can make sure all their clients are up to date on vaccines and so they can sanitize everything.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Dingus the husky decided to steal and eat a piece of corn on the cob whole the other day. We woke this morning to him puking some yellow business and a corn cob on my carpet. In the ensuing rush between me and the Mrs. rushing out of bed to drag him to the hardwood the beagle got worked up or something and she unloaded her bladder in the bed. All before 6AM.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
i bet youre really glad youre watching your buddies dog :)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Brother-in-law-in-law's dog, and not particularly. He's chill most of the time, but that last 10% or so is a doozy. The beagle's the same way, but I'm used to and am working on her. Word of him attacking the beagle has gotten out and been added upon via dog park rumor mongering, so people are starting to clear out when we roll up. I don't personally give a flying crap, but the Mrs. is talking like she's about to sew a scarlet A on her chest. #dogdrama

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

What breed is this? Good looking pup.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What are possible reasons my dog would obsessively lick just one of his paws? I've read that it could be allergies, but why would he only be allergic to something in one foot? Everything looks and feels normal. It doesn't bother him when I touch it, and he walks and runs just fine.

E: Here is the culprit

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 23, 2016

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TBeats posted:

What are possible reasons my dog would obsessively lick just one of his paws? I've read that it could be allergies, but why would he only be allergic to something in one foot? Everything looks and feels normal. It doesn't bother him when I touch it, and he walks and runs just fine.

E: Here is the culprit

.... it is a dog.

:shrug:

they are weird?

define obsessively i guess. Like rubbing the paw raw?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

SneakyFrog posted:

.... it is a dog.

:shrug:

they are weird?

define obsessively i guess. Like rubbing the paw raw?

Not raw, but non-stop licking. Like.. if he is laying around, there is a 90% chance he is licking his paw. Not vigorously like he has a flea biting him or anything.

It just started a few days ago completely out of the blue, which is why it has me curious. I'm not really worried, per se. It's just a strange behavior that has popped up.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My dog has allergies that pop up in the fall and he licks his paws raw (to the point of infection). May be worth asking a vet about.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Thwomp posted:

My dog has allergies that pop up in the fall and he licks his paws raw (to the point of infection). May be worth asking a vet about.

Is it possible for him to be having an allergy problem in one single paw? It has only been his front left since it started.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

How long has it been going on? Could be a bug bite.

My idiot dog started obsessively licking one his paws and licked it raw, I had no idea why until I realized his favorite bone was bacon flavored and he'd hold it with that paw while he chewed on it and therefore his foot tasted like bacon :downs: I made him wear a sock till it healed and got rid of that bone.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Most hotspots I've seen started with the dog getting a scrape or some other mild irritation, they just decide to go nuts on it and take it to a new level.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Inspect the paw in question and see if there's anything amiss. We had a local pooch do something similar and the root cause was a splinter from new mulch at the local dog park.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Thanks for the tips. I looked at his paw and couldn't find any scrapes or rocks/mulch stuck. I put a bootie on him and I'm gonna leave it until this evening and see if that helps.

In the meantime I get to watch him look like a doofus for a bit until he gets used to it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I had been retraining my dog to use a different patch of lawn. She was going there voluntarily maybe 4/5 times. Then I was out of town for a week, and I don't know what happened while I was gone, but now she goes in her old spot most of the time. I don't want to be back on the leash. Am I back at square one? Walking outside with her every time?

MS PAINT DIAGRAM

The old spot is my lawn. She was going there when I first got her because the New Spot was some gross old dirt. I planted some dog resistant grass in the New Spot, and once it was well established, I started taking her over there to go. She was originally going in a confined area of the Old Spot, but with less supervision, she began taking over the whole lawn. I would like her to go in the New Spot because its on the side of the house with the trash cans and is pretty confined and I don't have to search all over the place for poop. The New Spot is 6'x30', so I don't think its too small, and I clean it up every day.

Should I just give up on it?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Yep. Whenever you want a dog to go here, not there, you've got to step back to square 1 (see the voluminous housebreaking posts). It involves managing them so they can only go in the right place for about a month to really solidify the good habit, then retraining to the tune of ~2 weeks of management if they slip up.

On the one hand, it sucks to have to manage your dog this closely. On the other hand, it's a month of training to keep you from having to clean up the other side of your yard. Up to you if you think it's worth it.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

NJersey posted:

What breed is this? Good looking pup.

Kelpie x Koolie. Every dog I've had is some kind of kelpie / koolie / ACD / border collie cross, maybe 1 ACD and 1 kelpie were pure bred since my olds ran cattle and I drove a livestock truck a few years. Almost got a bull arab that was offered to me free but decide to stick with a dog I knew would come good every time.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Fat Jesus posted:

Kelpie x Koolie. Every dog I've had is some kind of kelpie / koolie / ACD / border collie cross, maybe 1 ACD and 1 kelpie were pure bred since my olds ran cattle and I drove a livestock truck a few years. Almost got a bull arab that was offered to me free but decide to stick with a dog I knew would come good every time.

I want a Kelpie for my next dog but finding one in the US without owning livestock tanks my chances of getting my hands on one pretty bad, so I may end up with another ACD instead. I've considered other dogs but cattledogs are just the coolest little dogs and I can't imagine getting along with anything else.

Shameless product plug: if anyone does any regular hiking with their dogs, the Ruffwear OmniJore system is pretty awesome. I ordered it to use the harness when I take him biking but used it on our hike today and I am pretty happy with it. It has an 8' bungee leash and is totally hands-free and the harness is absolutely impossible for even the wiggliest dog to wiggle out of. As a bonus since it's a pulling harness he can help pull my rear end up hills.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Can someone explain the benefits of a training lead to me? The trainer recommended I get one for hiking with the pooch, but apart from being 30' I don't see a reason to use it over her normal leash. It's nice to use on Dingus the Husky at the park since I can't take him off the lead, but I don't know why I'd use it otherwise.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Just more freedom to wander, more room to recall, more room to train, etc. It more closely resembles what off-leash freedom would feel like, should that ever be your goal.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is that just a really long leash? Or is there something special about it?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Just a long rear end leash. It's proven useful since the Husky will bolt the instant he realizes he's off leash. I can't use it that much since the two of them means I can't wrangle 30 feet of leash with much ease.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Ease into it. If I immediately gave my dog a 30' lead he would take off, then give me rope burn as I try to grab it before he either yanks it out of my hands, strangles himself or takes me with him.

It's good for teaching recall and working up to more freedom. We always used it in a big open area as to not clothesline people or get caught up in anything. I would say great tool for puppies.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I want a Kelpie for my next dog but finding one in the US without owning livestock tanks my chances of getting my hands on one pretty bad, so I may end up with another ACD instead. I've considered other dogs but cattledogs are just the coolest little dogs and I can't imagine getting along with anything else.

Shameless product plug: if anyone does any regular hiking with their dogs, the Ruffwear OmniJore system is pretty awesome. I ordered it to use the harness when I take him biking but used it on our hike today and I am pretty happy with it. It has an 8' bungee leash and is totally hands-free and the harness is absolutely impossible for even the wiggliest dog to wiggle out of. As a bonus since it's a pulling harness he can help pull my rear end up hills.

Take me with you on your dog adventure hikes, I will help pick up dog poop in exchange.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Warbird posted:

Can someone explain the benefits of a training lead to me? The trainer recommended I get one for hiking with the pooch, but apart from being 30' I don't see a reason to use it over her normal leash. It's nice to use on Dingus the Husky at the park since I can't take him off the lead, but I don't know why I'd use it otherwise.

Depending on where you hike 30' is way too long, I could see that becoming a tangled mess in trees and underbrush pretty quick.

I got a 30' lead to train recalls at the suggestion of a trainer, I used it maybe once or twice. Last time I used it was to hook it up to the dog and shut the other end in my door when my backyard fence was broken because :effort: of actually walking the dog.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
I use 30' leashes all the time. There's no way in hell I'd use one hiking but they're great for when you wanna exercise your dog hard but can't let them off leash for whatever reason.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So my dog seemingly poops a lot

I was using Taste of the Wild there for a bit. Vet said it's not as good as you think and mostly marketing; that maybe he's not absorbing the food hence the lots-o-poops. She recommended the kirkland Costco brand and said it actually has some pretty good ingredients. He's about 25 lbs.

I was a bit overwhelmed with their options. Ended up with the chicken and rice to be safe. Can't say he's the most ecstatic to eat it (bit a of a primadonna here). He still seems to poop a lot though. I'd like to stick with the kirkland brand as costco is dope as gently caress and I feel bad making the delivery dude haul a 40 lb box up some stairs.

tl:dr Which kirkland/costco dog food do you use and have you tried more than just one of them

bonus pic of 1st bday (on right) w/bff

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 29, 2016

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My 50lb, 1 year old Vizsla is on the Costco Salmon and Sweet Potato mix (the blue bag). It seems really good with him as he really enjoys the food and his poops are way more consistent than when he was on anything else. His breeder had him on chicken based purina pro plan puppy food. We noticed he wasn't getting consistent stool , was getting a ton of eye boogers and his coat wasn't very shiny or healthy looking. Our vet and fellow Vizsla owners had suggested that a lot of Vizslas might have an allergy or aversion to chicken. We heard great things about the salmon and sweet potato food so we decided to try it. Now his coat is really shiny and healthy, his stool is consistent and healthy looking.

I dont think our dog would notice a different food as he doesn't seem to be a picky eater. The costco kibble bits are fairly large though so it might be hard to eat for small dogs. From what I've read and heard is that costco pet food is one of the better foods for the money. Tons of vets recommend them over anything else even close to the price range. I know a lot of people who have been told the same by their vets and are very happy with the food from costco.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok cool thanks was thinking about trying the salmon one. Isn't salmon and sweet potato two separate ones? Or I think there's a sweet potato/veggie one for the vegetarians I guess. He's poops are solid honestly (pun intended) it's just the frequency. He's very active but doesn't exactly eat a lot or anything

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How is Costco food with farting? We were on Blue Buffalo Wilderness for a month and it was brutal. Taste of the Wild, no gas at all. She eats and is happy but I'd be happier with spending less than $50 a month on food.

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
I've used all the non-vegetarian adult dog foods at Costco and my dogs farted pretty badly on all of them and I had a hard time keeping weight on Vex. Farting is why I stopped feeding it. I'd love to pay $35 a bag but I also don't like it when my house is full of dog farts. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Nature's Domain was just rebranded Diamond? I know Kirkland brand anything is a just a rebrand of a private product.

Anyways, it's a midrange food. Not terrible, not steller but good for the price point

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 29, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Kirkland Nature's Domain is Taste of the Wild.

TOTW is owned by Diamond though. We don't have farting issues on it.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 29, 2016

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK

Rurutia posted:

Kirkland Nature's Domain is Taste of the Wild.

TOTW is owned by Diamond though. We don't have farting issues on it.

TOTW has different ingredients and ingredient ratios, they are definitely not the same food even if they are both owned by Diamond.

E: Yeah, definitely not the same. Nature's domain is rebranded diamond naturals. Compare:
http://www.diamondpet.com/our-brands/diamond-naturals-grain-free/beef-sweet-potato-formula-for-dogs/

http://www.kirklandsignaturepetsupplies.com/natures-domain-brand

TOTW doesn't even make a beef, turkey, or chicken formulation.

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 29, 2016

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The husky took exception to being in a crate by himself while I was at work and broke the back panel completely off (again), tore up my entire bathroom, spilled and pissed on the trash, and dropped a deuce as well. I want to shoot this dog.

What's worse than a beagle with separation anxiety? A husky with separation anxiety. I ended up just letting him hang out with the beagle and hopefully he won't tear her ear open again while I'm at work.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Ausrotten posted:

TOTW has different ingredients and ingredient ratios, they are definitely not the same food even if they are both owned by Diamond.

E: Yeah, definitely not the same. Nature's domain is rebranded diamond naturals. Compare:
http://www.diamondpet.com/our-brands/diamond-naturals-grain-free/beef-sweet-potato-formula-for-dogs/

http://www.kirklandsignaturepetsupplies.com/natures-domain-brand

TOTW doesn't even make a beef, turkey, or chicken formulation.

My understanding was that it's not any actual 'Diamond' food, but a variation aka. the Costco version of TOTW.

We were on TOTW for over a year, and switched to Kirkland Nature's Domain with no adjustment period needed. My dogs fart the same on the two.

edit We're on Kirkland Signature Small Dog now and we're SUPER happy with it.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausrotten
Mar 9, 2016

STILL A HUGE FUCKIN DICK
I mean the ingredients are the same, in the same order, they have the same macro breakdown as Diamond Naturals, and the price point is the same but tbh who loving know, it's not like companies are terribly transparent with these sorts of things

Warbird posted:

The husky took exception to being in a crate by himself while I was at work and broke the back panel completely off (again), tore up my entire bathroom, spilled and pissed on the trash, and dropped a deuce as well. I want to shoot this dog.

What's worse than a beagle with separation anxiety? A husky with separation anxiety. I ended up just letting him hang out with the beagle and hopefully he won't tear her ear open again while I'm at work.

man you're a saint for putting up with this dog, he sounds like a loving nightmare.

Ausrotten fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 29, 2016