Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

extra extras

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I would read a comic entirely about those two.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Then again I'd read a comic entirely about several One-Punch Man characters, so I guess it's just as well they're all concentrated in the same place.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Genos is doing a lot of one-shot wins, must be Saitama's teachings.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 20, 2016

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!

Say Nothing posted:

Genos is doing a lot of on-shot wins, must be Saitama's teachings.

finish it fast! lol

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think Murata must have heard me because we've been getting some A-grade filler of Genos being badass which should stop people from going "man, Genos is so terrible, how did he even become S-class?" for a while, when it gets animated anyway.

muike posted:

I hope Genos' character growth is realizing that Saitama is a gigantic doofus and stops calling him sensei but just bein buddies

Alas, this being filler and not following ONE's storyline... Not going to happen.

El Burbo posted:

extra extras

It is me, I am the one who cried.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

For gently caress's sake, we've gone over this in the thread already.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MiniFoo posted:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Implying that ONE isn't the writer for all of the new content is just being deliberately misleading now.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

El Burbo posted:

extra extras

It's amazing how fast Metal Bat has gone from S Class rando to a fantastic character over like, ten chapters

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Moltrey posted:

It's amazing how fast Metal Bat has gone from S Class rando to a fantastic character over like, ten chapters

I can't wait till they give Drive/Engine Knight the same treatment.

I hope that happens, at least.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

MiniFoo posted:

I'm not calling it whatever you want just because it usually carries negative connotations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad "Bad Seafood" Seafood, please ban the next person to call this stuff filler.

Moltrey posted:

He had a pomp from day one. He's always been fantastic.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MiniFoo posted:

It's a side-story interrupting the main plot. It's filler. It doesn't matter if One is writing it or not.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

It's a side-story interrupting the main plot. It's filler. It doesn't matter if One is writing it or not.

How is it a side story, exactly? "The main plot" and "the part you like more" are not the same thing. It's a new story, but it's part of the same plot as what came before and presumably what is going to come after it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Roland Jones posted:

How is it a side story, exactly? "The main plot" and "the part you like more" are not the same thing. It's a new story, but it's part of the same plot as what came before and presumably what is going to come after it.

Garou is the main plot.

EDIT: I can understand how you might've forgotten him since it's been like a year since he appeared.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 20, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
OPM got the best filler ever?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RatHat posted:

Garou is the main plot.

EDIT: I can understand how you might've forgotten him since it's been like a year since he appeared.

Garou's plot was a lead in to the monster uprising or whatever from what I can tell. This is part of that.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Roland Jones posted:

Because future events are already set, therefore no characters can meaningfully grow or the world be meaningfully impacted because we know that in a future arc the characters and setting will look exactly like it did at the start of the "filler" arc. When you're writing a linear story anything added in the middle afterwards without changing later parts is by definition inconsequential because we have evidence of the lack of consequences it has.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Because future events are already set, therefore no characters can meaningfully grow or the world be meaningfully impacted because we know that in a future arc the characters and setting will look exactly like it did at the start of the "filler" arc. When you're writing a linear story anything added in the middle afterwards without changing later parts is by definition inconsequential because we have evidence of the lack of consequences it has.

You wrote a lot without saying anything here. Also you're wrong; this seems to be an expansion of the plot and not merely a series of events that will not go anywhere. I haven't read the ONE version but as I understand it (because people are bad at the no spoilers thing) we're basically seeing things that were skipped over/not shown in that version, so it's not like this isn't progressing things. It's filling in a gap where things did happen, they just weren't seen previously.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That's basically it. We're getting to see what is happening during something of a short time skip. It's especially strange to say "without changing later parts" as there are things that are already changed in comparison and Murata's version isn't finished so it's impossible to say that the plot points are changed or unchanged.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The fact is what comes next is amazing and what is happening now isn't for a lot of folks, so people will have problems with it. So it'll be 'padding' or 'filler' to them, because it's just more time until the story gets to the next thing that they know is amazing.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

You wrote a lot without saying anything here. Also you're wrong; this seems to be an expansion of the plot and not merely a series of events that will not go anywhere. I haven't read the ONE version but as I understand it (because people are bad at the no spoilers thing) we're basically seeing things that were skipped over/not shown in that version, so it's not like this isn't progressing things. It's filling in a gap where things did happen, they just weren't seen previously.

Then maybe you should read the ONE stuff so you know what the gently caress people are talking about?! Because what you are saying isn't the bloody case.

Boogaleeboo posted:

The fact is what comes next is amazing and what is happening now isn't for a lot of folks, so people will have problems with it. So it'll be 'padding' or 'filler' to them, because it's just more time until the story gets to the next thing that they know is amazing.

Genos kicking butt is why I am not unsatisfied with this. I guess the tournament is okay, but it's going a bit hard on the nose right now. Is it a parody of tournament arcs in shonen or is it playing it straight? I don't know? I like it though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mordaedil posted:

Then maybe you should read the ONE stuff so you know what the gently caress people are talking about?! Because what you are saying isn't the bloody case.

Okay, let me be more clear, since you either misunderstood me or are a moron in addition to an rear end in a top hat: I was explicitly spoiled on things, and yes. We're seeing what happened in the time between what last happened in the ONE version before the new stuff started, and what happens next in that version. We aren't told everything that happened then, because it just timeskipped over it, but that doesn't mean nothing happened in that period of time. In fact, things quite explicitly did happen, which lines up with what we've been seeing. We're seeing what happened in that timeskip, instead of the plot jumping forward an indeterminate amount of time.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

MiniFoo posted:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i cant wait to see saitama punch the bad guy and win with only one punch

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, let me be more clear, since you either misunderstood me or are a moron in addition to an rear end in a top hat: I was explicitly spoiled on things, and yes. We're seeing what happened in the time between what last happened in the ONE version
Here's a clue: There's no timeskipping.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The stuff that comes next is cooler than the stuff happening now imo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

El Burbo posted:

extra extras

Should be called feeler imo for filling me with feels

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, let me be more clear, since you either misunderstood me or are a moron in addition to an rear end in a top hat: I was explicitly spoiled on things, and yes. We're seeing what happened in the time between what last happened in the ONE version before the new stuff started, and what happens next in that version. We aren't told everything that happened then, because it just timeskipped over it, but that doesn't mean nothing happened in that period of time. In fact, things quite explicitly did happen, which lines up with what we've been seeing. We're seeing what happened in that timeskip, instead of the plot jumping forward an indeterminate amount of time.

This is a really clear-headed and rational take on this situation and not a dude getting enraged at other peoples' opinions of filler in his Japanese shonen parody comic!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How about everyone shut the gently caress up about their own definitions of filler tia

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm about to fill you all full of holes if you don't stop arguing about filler.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

allow fubuki and her fubukis to settle your danders

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The argument about "filler or not" misses the bigger point that you're still spoiling future characterization by saying "oh no this won't happen because it's 'filler'" (directly implying that it doesn't happen in the subsequent 'official' arc)

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

The argument about "filler or not" misses the bigger point that you're still spoiling future characterization by saying "oh no this won't happen in the 'filler'" (directly implying that it doesn't happen in the subsequent 'official' arc)

This and other inharmonious consequences to internet fighting can be avoided by choosing to simply ignore Power Word: Filler

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like one pumch man and more of it is cool and good

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Guy A. Person posted:

The argument about "filler or not" misses the bigger point that you're still spoiling future characterization by saying "oh no this won't happen because it's 'filler'" (directly implying that it doesn't happen in the subsequent 'official' arc)

"This story is not over and will continue"

"Oh my god, stop spoiling it for me!!!"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

e X posted:

"This story is not over and will continue"

"Oh my god, stop spoiling it for me!!!"

is not the same as "this will explicitly not happen in the next 100 chapters" lmao

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Read ONE imo