Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

The LoB shtick only works in PYF. Source your quotes.

Where else but the Herald's letters section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You ask where else rhetorically, but Mike Hosking.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

That's true. and I suppose to be fair, odds are someone on my facebook list or friends of friends shares these views.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Jail does sound pretty sweet when you talk about it like that. What's the least bad crime I can do that will get me, say, 6 months of nice free vacation in Mt Eden?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I hear Serco Resorts have this sweet cardio deal where they pay YOU to box with other prisoners holidaymakers.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 18, 2016

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

newtestleper posted:

Jail does sound pretty sweet when you talk about it like that. What's the least bad crime I can do that will get me, say, 6 months of nice free vacation in Mt Eden?

Embezzlement, rape and National-level Fraud should do it. Gotta be Pakeha though.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

National-level Fraud should do it. Gotta be Pakeha though.
Has to be more than that. After all Bill English never did time for stealing that housing supplement back in 2008. He just changed the law to make it legal.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Should've stated that you have to do all three.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Varkk posted:

Has to be more than that. After all Bill English never did time for stealing that housing supplement back in 2008. He just changed the law to make it legal.

Plus, some fun-police judge might choose to discharge you without conviction because being Pakeha makes you an upstanding member of the community and an all-round sweet guy.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
Rodney Hide: Orlando shooting might have turned out differently if I had been there and had a gun

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11659053

quote:

The Orlando shooter was at his deadly work for some hours. His gun jammed at least once. He didn't have eyes in the back of his head.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Amazing how adding one more body to the gunman's count would make it a feel good story for New Zealand.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Liz Gunn, one of Mike Hosking's old co-hosts, has written a pretty amazing endorsement of the petition to remove Mike Hosking from the air.

quote:

I remember when I worked with him , he maintained as his mantra, with his now usual level of inordinate pride, the intended-to-be sardonic saying of Gordon Gecko in the original " Wall St " movie - namely , that " Greed Is Good" . He often repeated it off air, with that faux air of Great Authority . We all thought he was joking at first, but he was serious . I started to feel nauseous as I heard it repeated on many days, and as I saw the results of such a perspective in his approach to interviewees, and in his manipulative media pronouncements -now foisted on viewers each evening at peak time, and always aimed at endorsing Neo Liberal ideology . He has maintained that dire stance throughout his career, admiring those who exhibit the most greed and reviling those who struggle under the weight and demands of the greedy few . When I left TVNZ , I left with the most profound pity for such a dessicated human , so bereft of empathy or compassion for his fellow Kiwis , especially those who are facing difficulty or , God forbid, failure . The year I did Breakfast with him , he went out of his way to undermine me in every way he could find . My goal became a very simple one...to get in early and sit quietly in that darkened studio and say a quiet resolution - a whispered prayer -asking for help so that I would never react and never never sink to his level. That I would maintain my own dignity and never let the hurts show in any overt reaction to his many attempts to humiliate and belittle . It was a year of teeth-gritting , white knuckle survival . A quiet triumph . Every day. Over the passive and overt bullying . I have never spoken of it in public until now , when it is relevant here, to the issue of the sort of man whom TVNZ have placed in such a position of influence. I used to wonder if he would ever find that point where his lust for money or power could be satiated ? If he would ever find authentic , not trumped -up happiness, on that heavy path of the pursuit of "still-more money "? And I wondered too what had shaped a man so lacking in human kindness ? I hope he can one day turn this around. He always wanted to be Paul Holmes but he never could emulate the real Paul . In spite of Paul's self -admitted human fallibilities, Paul genuinely cared for people when he saw them suffering . He had a huge heart for Kiwis . Paul himself knew suffering. I wonder if Mike has ever allowed himself to feel that vulnerability? Do those who won't open to their own pain , risk becoming in-suffer-able.? I do not think he is a healthy touchstone for NZ broadcasting . I hope with time and perhaps some of the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, himself, he can find a more real place , a more human face , a more caring heart for his fellow Kiwis . Until then, I wish for a far more empathetic nightly host to take his place at 7 pm . I endorse this petition . Liz Gunn

https://www.change.org/p/tvnz-get-rid-of-hosking-1347aa6d-8044-4a33-ba59-7fe0a5dba42b/c/468079907

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Ivor Biggun posted:

Rodney Hide: Orlando shooting might have turned out differently if I had been there and had a gun

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11659053

Jesus what an utterly despicable piece of poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rodney Hide posted:

I made it back to where I was staying with a rock in each hand, determined to hurl them should I come under attack.

I was surprised afterwards, reflecting how calm I was and how determined I was to get both rocks away.

I was also surprised by how much I wished to have something more lethal.

Rodney Hide might beis a serial killer.

fong posted:

Liz Gunn, one of Mike Hosking's old co-hosts, has written a pretty amazing endorsement of the petition to remove Mike Hosking from the air.

https://www.change.org/p/tvnz-get-rid-of-hosking-1347aa6d-8044-4a33-ba59-7fe0a5dba42b/c/468079907

Jesus.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

So a right wing former politician wishes he was at a gay bar with a loaded gun?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

These are supposed to be our truth-speaking media idols, lads.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

This loving country.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

This loving country.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
A while ago I noticed that my student loan has a $12 late payment penalty against it, so I emailed ird asking about it. The response was "Oh that late payment penalty? Its a penalty, because of a late payment. yours sincerely, P. Edant"

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

:wth:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Gosh if only people had said this was a bad idea and warned of mission creep and such. And if only JK had promised it'd be 2 years at most. If only.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That doesn't look like very effective training.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

The soldiers are actually being trained by the Iraqis to prepare them for their return to Auckland.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

fong posted:

Gosh if only people had said this was a bad idea and warned of mission creep and such. And if only JK had promised it'd be 2 years at most. If only.

Please don't say the word 'creep' in this thread. It makes John zone out and compile a list of his top ten ponytails and causes Max to alt tab out of his cracked copy of Ableton and start linking instagram pics to Brazilians playing DOTA.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I guess now we know why he won't fire her.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

That's some interesting kneepad deployment

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

That's some interesting kneepad deployment

It's to hold his boots on because the shoelaces got held up in customs.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'd not realised before how hard it is to sum up your thoughts on a complex topic like road tax on the spot in a monologue to a microphone.

Varkk posted:

I guess now we know why he won't fire her.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Verily I did sign the petition seeking to remove Hosking from television, enumerating reasons in my description

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jacobin posted:

Verily I did sign the petition seeking to remove Hosking from television, enumerating reasons in my description

You know what, I was going to say something about how you were #cyberbullying hosking but then I went on the herald website to find the exact term and found this instead.

The Herald posted:

Girls at a Christchurch high school have been told to wear longer skirts because they are distracting for male teachers and students.

The advice from a senior staff member at Hornby High School came after a school assembly last week.

"Last week a staff member made a well-intentioned statement to our senior girls after assembly on the issue of skirt length. This generated some unintended consequences and messages."

The Star has learned that at the end of the senior assembly last week, male students were asked to leave, while the senior staff member talked to the girls.

The year 11-13 girls, were then told they were rolling their skirts up too high and it was distracting their male peers from their learning, as well as their male teachers.

All students should wear orange jumpsuits to more accurately reflect their role.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

All male teachers who are distracted by the skirt lengths of high school students should probably be put on a sex offender registry.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Hornby high school? More like... well, you know.

What a crock of poo poo.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Isn't that the school our exalted PM attended?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

All male teachers who are distracted by the skirt lengths of high school students should probably be put on a sex offender registry.

Eh, if he's like...25 and the students are year 13 I can see it being a problem. But a 'senior staff member' implies a crusty middle aged man at the very least.

e: in fact there's a catchy examination of the phenomenon right here on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j75tJNYwWkY

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Even at 25, I was capable of not sexualising women. A 25 year old teacher who is distracted by short skirts on female students is not mature enough to teach.

I think the distracting excuse is a red herring, what they really mean is that shirt skirts make you look slutty and immoral and God doesn't like that so make yourself modest. But, they can't say that out loud and they probably don't even know that that's the real reason.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

That is the point isn't it, they say it is to protect the men/boys or to protect the girls from them. But in reality it is about controlling the girls.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

klen dool posted:

Even at 25, I was capable of not sexualising women.

I still haven't learned to do that, any advice?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Varkk posted:

That is the point isn't it, they say it is to protect the men/boys or to protect the girls from them. But in reality it is about controlling the girls.

Quoted for truth.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Eh, if he's like...25 and the students are year 13 I can see it being a problem. But a 'senior staff member' implies a crusty middle aged man at the very least.

e: in fact there's a catchy examination of the phenomenon right here on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j75tJNYwWkY

what! no! what the hell

25 year old men are perfectly capable of not sexualising women, especially probable minors who they interact with in a supervisory/teacher-student capacity

Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

klen dool posted:

Even at 25, I was capable of not sexualising women. A 25 year old teacher who is distracted by short skirts on female students is not mature enough to teach.

I think the distracting excuse is a red herring, what they really mean is that shirt skirts make you look slutty and immoral and God doesn't like that so make yourself modest. But, they can't say that out loud and they probably don't even know that that's the real reason.

Hey! Look legs! is hardwired. The difference is not doing anything with it and moving on.

• Locked thread