Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Get a cheap air horn and scare the poo poo out of the oblivious people. Ideally I wish sidewalks around cities could be widened by double or triple, then put a barrier down the middle - left side is walking, right side is cycling, keeps people separated and less likely to get hurt. Someone walks or bikes on the wrong side and gets hurt, it's their own stupid fault for improper use. Keeps both cyclists and pedestrians off the drat streets and away from cars where they don't belong.

There are some sidewalks like that where I am in Heidelberg, but inevitably you see pedesterians walking in the bike half and cyclists in the walking part. It's the kind of thing that would work perfectly if people followed the rules, but they don't. It doesn't help that it's a big tourist town, and tourists like to use the "I'm not from here, I don't know the rules" excuse despite obvious signs even if you don't speak german.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
People who show up to events and make really long narcissistic speeches that have nothing to do with anything. At my sister's grad ceremony, the assistant superintendent went on a 25 minute monologue about how his wife left him, he lost weight, what his cousin did with the money after he won the lottery, copying other people without thinking about it is the way to success and a bunch of other irrelevant bullshit I can't remember. Though, it was pretty funny how one of the teachers (and the MC for that ceremony) looked at the grads with a "I have no idea what the gently caress is going on either" look on his face.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Celery Face posted:

People who show up to events and make really long narcissistic speeches that have nothing to do with anything. At my sister's grad ceremony, the assistant superintendent went on a 25 minute monologue about how his wife left him, he lost weight, what his cousin did with the money after he won the lottery, copying other people without thinking about it is the way to success and a bunch of other irrelevant bullshit I can't remember. Though, it was pretty funny how one of the teachers (and the MC for that ceremony) looked at the grads with a "I have no idea what the gently caress is going on either" look on his face.

Dude was drunk as gently caress. Probably had hit that sweet spot between "having poignant things to share" and "slurring too much to be understood" minutes earlier. Good on him if he managed to somehow tie it all back to graduation by the end :yotj:

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A White Guy posted:

No? While you do always have the right of way, you don't always have the right to the road, per se. What this means is that if you blatantly stroll out into traffic and get flattened like the idiot you are, you're going to have a very hard time proving in civil trial court that the accident was clearly the other parties fault - after all, you didn't bother to take the necessary precautions for your own safety. That being said, if you're in a marked cross-walk and some moron flattens you, the accident is almost always their fault. If you live in a non no-fault state, they get to pay your medical bills, and you get to take them for every dollar they're worth in civil court.

Nope. Source: flattened a guy who literally jumped into the street about a quarter mile from the nearest crosswalk. Guy got $100k with no injuries. The only time whether it was my fault came into play was determining if my liability insurance was going to cover it or not (it did).

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Celery Face posted:

At my HS graduation (well over 10 years ago, we were all born in the 80s) the principal went on an hour long speech about how were the Millenial Generation and thus liked to Follow Rules. (I sincerely regret going, my friends who didn't were smart.)

So: people who refer to people of a similar age as some homogeneous group. "Gen X." "Millenial." Etc. There are so many variations in a group of people in the same age range, and there's never any consistency in the actual age range, how can you generalize it so much.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thin Privilege posted:

So: people who refer to people of a similar age as some homogeneous group. "Gen X." "Millenial." Etc. There are so many variations in a group of people in the same age range, and there's never any consistency in the actual age range, how can you generalize it so much.

Me too. The age ranges are so arbitrary it's ridiculous. Someone born in 1980 is a "Millennial" but was already a grows-rear end adult who had nearly graduated college or had been working for three or four years when 9/11 happened and was close to thirty before the first iphone was released. They most likely grew up without even dial-up internet access. These people probably have less in common with some 18-year-old today than the Boomers did with their great grandparents.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who don't replace the toilet paper after they use the last of it. Now I gotta either crab walk my way over to where we keep the toilet paper or drip dry. It's bit that loving hard to replace it!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Sociopastry posted:

People who don't replace the toilet paper after they use the last of it. Now I gotta either crab walk my way over to where we keep the toilet paper or drip dry. It's bit that loving hard to replace it!

To add to that: The people who pull out the new roll, but leave it on the counter. You've done three quarters of the work, just put it on the thing.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Further addition: people who replace the toilet paper, but leave the previous empty tube sitting on top of the new roll instead of putting it in the trash can. What the gently caress?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Grandmother of Five posted:

the words "chance" and "risk" aren't interchangeable, and unless you're hoping to sustain a serious injury or contract HIV, the virus that cause AIDS, you're using "chance" wrong.

dictionary.com posted:

chance
noun
  1. the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled: often personified or treated as a positive agency:
    Chance governs all.
  2. luck or fortune:
    a game of chance.
  3. a possibility or probability of anything happening:
    a fifty-percent chance of success.
  4. an opportune or favorable time; opportunity:
    Now is your chance.
  5. Baseball. an opportunity to field the ball and make a put-out or assist.
  6. a risk or hazard:
    Take a chance.
  7. a share or ticket in a lottery or prize drawing:
    The charity is selling chances for a dollar each.

Sociopastry posted:

People who don't keep spare toilet paper within arm's reach of the toilet.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
People who like politicians (looking at you, Nugent and Trump) not because of their policies, but because they 'never show regret and never apologize.' They stand up for what they believe in, even if it's wrong, and they never feel they are wrong! Because sociopathy never means saying you're sorry.

Trying to cash US Savings Bonds is a loving pain in the rear end. This bank won't do it. This bank will, if you are a member and have been for years. The credit unions won't. This bank will if the notary is on hand. Jesus Christ I just want to cash them out, they've hit the max limit and I could use the money!

People who are going to bed but instead get sucked into another Facebook argument or game. My mom is poo poo at this, she'll announce she is going to bed....then spend the next two hours on a game she says she hates. My friend does the same when arguing about Bernie Sanders being the next Jesus.

And I'd like to add, the "not my job" people. Say the dishwasher just finished drying but you usually don't unload it. You have the time, oooor you can watch another Lifetime movie. The carpet needs to be vaccuumed but someone else usually does it, so you leave it for them even if they are busy and you are not. Today I called out from work because I can barely breathe from being stuffed up, my throat is raw, and I've spent most of the day medicated and asleep. But I still was up enough to take care of the animals. Pets don't care if you feel sick. But after my last cleaning of the foster kittens a few hours ago, my mom just turned off their lights, didn't refill the water or food dishes, and didn't clean any litter boxes because "it's something you usually do." Well, yes, yes it is, but I've been hacking up solid gunk for an hour, can you maybe take one loving cleaning off my hands even if it's not technically "your" chore?

This applies to work, of course, with more than one person saying it's not their job to do something basic like wipe down the lunch table or empty the trash. Management's reply to this was to make a literal chore list whiteboard and alter the names every week so everyone has to do something.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Writer Cath posted:

To add to that: The people who pull out the new roll, but leave it on the counter. You've done three quarters of the work, just put it on the thing.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Further addition: people who replace the toilet paper, but leave the previous empty tube sitting on top of the new roll instead of putting it in the trash can. What the gently caress?

My boyfriend and roommate have this bad habit of balancing the new roll on top of the empty tube. They can do this indefinitely with no issues.

Content: Group dinners. I hate having one small plate of food and a bottle of beer and end up spending the same amount as the guy who ate three pounds of teriyaki beef to himself.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

cash crab posted:

Content: Group dinners. I hate having one small plate of food and a bottle of beer and end up spending the same amount as the guy who ate three pounds of teriyaki beef to himself.

I agree with this and hated the "tapas" fad and Indian/Ethiopian restaurants. Good food and fine if people share equally, but they never do. Someone always ends up getting the short end of the stick but has to pay just as much as the guy who ate enough for 2+ people. I hate taking the last piece of anything even if I haven't had a single piece of it. If they made the same food but in individual portions i'd be all over it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

cash crab posted:

I think I might honestly be the only person in my circle of friends who is capable of splitting a bill competently. The key is to split the tax evenly first (yes, I'm aware that this is technically unfair, but I've never had anyone bitch at me about having to pay $2 tax on a $10 appetizer so whatever), THEN itemize the bill, and let everyone figure out their tip. Too many people try to factor tips into the split, and it always ends in tears.

If someone who came to brunch and ate Wagyu steak & gold-encrusted pheasant eggs is insisting on splitting the bill evenly when everyone else had French toast, then I'm probably not going out to eat with them ever again.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
People overthink food to an alarming degree.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
My pet peeve is that my dad thinks splitting the bill is too much of an awkward hassle (he gets embarrassed arguing about money) so his solution is to pay the whole bill himself, even when it's his birthday or Father's Day, and we have family members who know this and never even offer to pay, or pay their share, or treat him to the next meal. (I always slip him my share into his pocket when he's not looking.) I know it's his choice to do this, but he's not made of money and it bothers me that a) people take advantage of him, and b) he lets them.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Rabbit Hill posted:

My pet peeve is that my dad thinks splitting the bill is too much of an awkward hassle (he gets embarrassed arguing about money) so his solution is to pay the whole bill himself, even when it's his birthday or Father's Day, and we have family members who know this and never even offer to pay, or pay their share, or treat him to the next meal. (I always slip him my share into his pocket when he's not looking.) I know it's his choice to do this, but he's not made of money and it bothers me that a) people take advantage of him, and b) he lets them.

What gross trash people :mad:

My nanny is the same way, she loves to sneak off and pay and it's so awwwwkward when my uncle is trying to sneak off first to pay instead and my mum is hiding money in her handbag or giving it to the kids to put in her purse later (I am now old enough at 26 to tell her to gently caress off when she tries to get me to do this), like what the gently caress kind of romcom level skit are you guys trying to pull here :psyduck:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My dad does that too but it's not family members taking advantage, it's them realizing after years of experience that trying to slip him the money or insisting on paying will cause a much bigger fight than just rolling with it. He probably gets some personal satisfaction from it, let people do what they want with their money. Always offer to pay your share, but if someone insists on covering it, just let them. If he were truly bothered by it he wouldn't do it.

e: in some ways it's insulting to him to try and sneak your money in. He's trying to do something nice, stuffing some cash into his pocket while he's not looking is invalidating his nice act. Just express gratitude, that's probably all he wants.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
My dad does that too, so sometimes I will get up and go find our server and pay before the check is brought to the table.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cash crab posted:

My issue is the opposite of this; I don't want to be the one bringing the average up, so I'll deliberately order something below the average price on the menu. Sometimes I have this struggle between the food I want and how much I don't want to seem like a freeloader.

Murphy Brownback posted:

I agree with this and hated the "tapas" fad and Indian/Ethiopian restaurants. Good food and fine if people share equally, but they never do. Someone always ends up getting the short end of the stick but has to pay just as much as the guy who ate enough for 2+ people. I hate taking the last piece of anything even if I haven't had a single piece of it. If they made the same food but in individual portions i'd be all over it.
When it's restaurants that are actually set up for sharing, then I don't worry about it at all. You all decide what you're getting as a group and as long as you're not being an arsehole about it and getting all of one thing before anyone else gets a chance to get their share, you're good. Ethiopian is a great example. You pick the things you're sharing and then you all eat a bit of everything and usually you end up with a little bit left over and everyone's satisfied and you all knew ahead of time what you were paying for. It's the best.

Murphy Brownback posted:

My dad does that too but it's not family members taking advantage, it's them realizing after years of experience that trying to slip him the money or insisting on paying will cause a much bigger fight than just rolling with it. He probably gets some personal satisfaction from it, let people do what they want with their money. Always offer to pay your share, but if someone insists on covering it, just let them. If he were truly bothered by it he wouldn't do it.
I'll always by default work out an even split, round up to the next $5, and put that in. But if someone insists on paying, gently caress it, let them. Don't argue it, don't try to give them money later, if they want to pay then they can pay. No skin off my nose.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Co-workers who ask 'Do you need any help with that?' if they aren't doing anything and you are.

You're at work. Work. Don't ask to work. I'm not going to say 'Yeah, I really need a hand stocking this shelf,' because I don't. I can do it myself. But you work here too, so you should help anyway. We're not siblings doing chores for mommy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Co-workers who ask 'Do you need any help with that?' if they aren't doing anything and you are.

You're at work. Work. Don't ask to work. I'm not going to say 'Yeah, I really need a hand stocking this shelf,' because I don't. I can do it myself. But you work here too, so you should help anyway. We're not siblings doing chores for mommy.

This one is weird. If you want them to help, why is it bad if they ask you if you need help? Are they supposed to pick it up from your pheremones or something? Sometimes you finish your specific task and want to float around and help whoever needs help to get everything done faster. Asking is a lot better than assuming you do need help and butting in.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah it kind of sounds like they do actually want to work, but haven't been given a task. Sure they could go find something on their own I guess, but at least they're still trying to be productive.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Your "grandogs" are your pathetic and weird surrogates for the grandchildren your yuppie children are never going to have and it makes me sad to see you broadcast this on your car. Your dogs aren't children, people, loving stop acting like they are. You and your "Furbabies" can gently caress right off.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Genuinely curious about the food bill splitting chat - Why don't you just tell the waiter that the bill will be separate when you order? Everyone just pays for what they order, maybe splitting whatever appetizer you get. It's not like it's more trouble for the waiter, their pos system is specifically set up for doing it that way.

I've never been in a social dining situation where we all just evenly split the bill. Like the whole concept seems foreign to me. What is the advantage to doing it?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Same, I've never been out to eat with a group where the waiter hasn't asked at the very beginning if it was all together or split.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Some places (at least in Australia) won't let you split the bill.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Local names for major highways. Today I got lost (albeit briefly) because my phone lost GPS signal right before the junction to the next highway I was supposed to take. It mentioned the Merritt Parkway before it cut out, so I thought "Oh, I've been on the Merritt before! I can find that!"

Turns out, NOPE. In New York, that same highway is called the Hutchinson Parkway. I did not know this, so I didn't follow signs to the Hutchinson Parkway and ended up pulling off the road in some residential area poking my phone to get a signal. Hey, sign design people, we have this great invention called route numbers that don't change and tend to be the same across a stretch of highway. In this case, in both state the route number was 15. I know route 15; it goes right by my house. None of the signs had the route number on it anywhere. If I'd seen it, I'd have taken it!

drat it, this is why I use the phone for navigation! My sense of direction is utter poo poo. Don't make it worse by not labeling highways properly! :argh:

Other driving peeves now that I'm here: people who don't move over into the slow vehicle lane (also called a climbing lane). I'll see bigass trucks who don't move the gently caress over and it baffles me. That's what it's for! You in your bloated SUV doing barely the speed limit, that goes for you too! Related: people who use the slow vehicle lane as a passing lane. No, no NO. That is not what it's for!

When a big line of cars is making a protected left, then the light turns solid green, indicating the opposing traffic can now go, and not one but several impatient fuckwits keep turning in front of me. Look, buddy, the two cars ahead of you were pushing it. YOU are just being ridiculous and you get the horn. gently caress off and wait your turn!

I hate driving.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Danger Mahoney posted:

Genuinely curious about the food bill splitting chat - Why don't you just tell the waiter that the bill will be separate when you order? Everyone just pays for what they order, maybe splitting whatever appetizer you get. It's not like it's more trouble for the waiter, their pos system is specifically set up for doing it that way.

I've never been in a social dining situation where we all just evenly split the bill. Like the whole concept seems foreign to me. What is the advantage to doing it?

Some places won't let you split the bill, even if you ask beforehand because after a certain number of guests it's just a pain in the rear end. Also, if like in this case, they decided to do "family style" then it's hard to tell who ordered what.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah it kind of sounds like they do actually want to work, but haven't been given a task. Sure they could go find something on their own I guess, but at least they're still trying to be productive.

I guess maybe my specific pet peeve is working with people who don't know how to keep themselves busy at work. There's always something to do!
I just feel like they're asking so if you say no they have their loafing excuse. Initiative is a nice trait in co-workers.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

DavidAlltheTime posted:

I guess maybe my specific pet peeve is working with people who don't know how to keep themselves busy at work. There's always something to do!
I just feel like they're asking so if you say no they have their loafing excuse. Initiative is a nice trait in co-workers.

My point was that even asking is taking more initiative than most people are going to take. I guess since you are just coworkers it'd get annoying, but I wouldn't mind hearing questions like that if I were a supervisor or in any position of authority over that person. When I worked a low-paying job with lots of downtime (skyride at busch gardens, it shut down if there was even a hint of rain or wind), the first time we shut down for rain I asked the supervisor what I should do. His suggestion was "take a nap in one of the carts". The first few times I did whatever busywork I could find (cleaning the carts, sweeping the floor etc) until I gave in and joined them. Of course the first time I did this the head supervisor drove by and we all got in trouble for it. Supervisors should always have an answer for "what should I do now".

also I hate doing split checks for big groups. If you're at a chain place like chilis I'm sure they don't really care, but as other people have said some places won't do it because it's a pain in the rear end to collect 8 peoples' cards and swipe them all individually. Which reminds me of another annoyance - people who never carry any cash. Every time when I go out with a group and the place won't split the bill individually, half the table goes wide-eyed and says "b-b-but i only brought my credit cards, can you cover me and I'll pay you back later (translation: in a few months to never)". Especially if you know you're going out, is it so hard to get a couple 20s out of an ATM just in case?

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
gently caress coworkers who vastly overestimate the amount/quality of work they do. Especially if they use it as an excuse to gently caress around later, like "I work harder than anyone here, so it's no big deal if my break lasts 3 times longer than it should." One of my closers tonight vanished off the floor for a good 20 minutes without telling anyone where she was going, then took an extra-long break, and she had the audacity to snap at one of the other closers for walking too slow because she "doesn't want to be here all night." Of course she ended up being the last one out because the rest of us were actually getting our poo poo done instead of dicking around.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Silver Falcon posted:

Local names for major highways. Today I got lost (albeit briefly) because my phone lost GPS signal right before the junction to the next highway I was supposed to take. It mentioned the Merritt Parkway before it cut out, so I thought "Oh, I've been on the Merritt before! I can find that!"

Turns out, NOPE. In New York, that same highway is called the Hutchinson Parkway. I did not know this, so I didn't follow signs to the Hutchinson Parkway and ended up pulling off the road in some residential area poking my phone to get a signal. Hey, sign design people, we have this great invention called route numbers that don't change and tend to be the same across a stretch of highway. In this case, in both state the route number was 15. I know route 15; it goes right by my house. None of the signs had the route number on it anywhere. If I'd seen it, I'd have taken it!

drat it, this is why I use the phone for navigation! My sense of direction is utter poo poo. Don't make it worse by not labeling highways properly! :argh:

Other driving peeves now that I'm here: people who don't move over into the slow vehicle lane (also called a climbing lane). I'll see bigass trucks who don't move the gently caress over and it baffles me. That's what it's for! You in your bloated SUV doing barely the speed limit, that goes for you too! Related: people who use the slow vehicle lane as a passing lane. No, no NO. That is not what it's for!

When a big line of cars is making a protected left, then the light turns solid green, indicating the opposing traffic can now go, and not one but several impatient fuckwits keep turning in front of me. Look, buddy, the two cars ahead of you were pushing it. YOU are just being ridiculous and you get the horn. gently caress off and wait your turn!

I hate driving.

Route numbers are lovely when it's side streets that always change. So some guy being like, "oh it's right of Route 500!" Ok well Route 500 is Stupid Street here and Moron Street 5 miles away. Doubly bad if it's suburban so same suburbs have same names for streets.
:downs: "It's off Route 500 & gently caress Road!" Is it off Route 500 & gently caress Road in IHateYouVille or Route500 & gently caress Road in IHopeYouDieTown?

And the problem is that maps don't always label every single side streets with the routes and road signs are small and far between so you're driving around like a moron all lost. Just tell me, "it's on IHateYou Street & ThisIsIrritating Way, in Crapsland."

I agree with stupid names for highways because they change them. One highway here used to have electronic signs saying travel time with traffic, "15 min (or whatever) to downtown interchange" but then they started saying "15 min to Some Douchebag interchange." I was confused as gently caress for a long time thinking they meant something other than downtown because there's a different interchange prior to downtown. I have never heard of this Some Douchebag, why is he so important he ruins a perfectly good highway description?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I work in a town that has the "town" and "village", which are technically two separate entities. Which means that there's a few cases of two roads with the same name in close proximity. Considering a good chunk of my job involves driving an ambulance from point a to point b, this is a major pain in the rear end.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Another train peeve I didn't know existing until right now: spraying your goddamn perfume on the train????? What???

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

teenytinymouse posted:

Another train peeve I didn't know existing until right now: spraying your goddamn perfume on the train????? What???

Ugh...people that wear too much cologne/perfume are the worst offenders for stuff like this. Maybe if they took a shower more than twice a week they wouldn't need a gallon of stank-rear end smelly garbage to cover it up. I've had family and co-workers both do that and it's unbearable, especially if you have to share a small space with them for any amount of time (like a car or office).

Trying to cover your stank with more stank makes about as much sense as hanging a car air freshener in a truck stop shitter.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

I think I might honestly be the only person in my circle of friends who is capable of splitting a bill competently. The key is to split the tax evenly first (yes, I'm aware that this is technically unfair, but I've never had anyone bitch at me about having to pay $2 tax on a $10 appetizer so whatever), THEN itemize the bill, and let everyone figure out their tip. Too many people try to factor tips into the split, and it always ends in tears.

If someone who came to brunch and ate Wagyu steak & gold-encrusted pheasant eggs is insisting on splitting the bill evenly when everyone else had French toast, then I'm probably not going out to eat with them ever again.

You know you can ask the server to split the bill in advance right? "Me and (person) will be on our own bill"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I hate people who argue on bad faith, with dumb arguments. There was a guy tonight street-preaching about why we should vote to leave the EU (UK User over here), using the reasoning that "we fought 2 wars with the Germans so why work together now?" The last war with them ended 72 years ago. We've been over it for decades. Even he may not have been born when that war happened,. if he was he would have been ~10. How the gently caress is that wound still fresh for him? There are apparently lots of actual reasons for leaving the EU as well, involving tax hikes and more recent war clusterfucks that I don't know enough about to reach an opinion on, so he is deliberately sabotaging his argument by balancing it on weak foundations.,

KoB
May 1, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

I just bring cash the next time I eat out with them and just plop down what I owe and let them at it.

I also do this with the crazy friends-of-friends that break out the calculator to figure out what people should pay. Just round it up a little and give them a decent tip you fuckin cheapskates. It took over an hour once and I almost went insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Overly sarcastic people. A few of my coworkers are like this, and it drives me up the wall. 90% of the time, I don't catch on to it because my brain is like, "No one is mean on purpose! :3:" and then they look at me like I'm stupid because I go along with their literal commands or requests. It makes me feel dumb, but on the bright side, I can sleep soundly knowing I'm not the kind of person who acts like that to people for no reason.