Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
another instance in a long line of Le Mans/Japanese heartbreak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDLm-4D5UlE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_lmacEmy78

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Has anyone located Nakajima yet?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

George Zimmer posted:

I'm wondering if Toyota will continue with the program. This might be too cruel.

of course they will. a couple other times they've been incredibly close; this one just happened with 5 minutes on the clock.

They'll be absolutely gutted, heartbroken, and so frustrated once more, but they'll be back. And you have to imagine they've still got a great chance to take the WEC title too, but without scoring points at Le Mans...gonna be tough.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What Audi are already making a new car?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Cubey posted:

I believe Audi is bringing a new car next year, and this was Toyota's car for next year. If they do continue I do not at all like their chances for the next few 24s.

Not quite. Toyota brought their new engine but not the chassis. That's still coming.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

harperdc posted:

of course they will. a couple other times they've been incredibly close; this one just happened with 5 minutes on the clock.

They'll be absolutely gutted, heartbroken, and so frustrated once more, but they'll be back. And you have to imagine they've still got a great chance to take the WEC title too, but without scoring points at Le Mans...gonna be tough.

They score with the second place car at least.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

#prayforkaz

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

What a dull race, the 2 car won from the pole by 3 laps. :suicide:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
guys i still dont know exactly what to think about this

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

go3 posted:

Audi didn't win.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

go3 posted:

this:

Cubey posted:

As much as I am beyond gutted at the result, this race is why endurance racing is the best form of racing in the world

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

The only thing I can think of that comes close to this was JR Hildebrand wrecking coming out of turn 4 and Dan Wheldon passing him to take the checkered flag at Indy in 2011

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
But that sounds like a driver error, or at least pinpointable. This feels more like an act of God, a bolt from the blue.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

kill me now posted:

#prayforkaz

honestly hope he doesn't do anything stupid, not even kidding i hope the team looks out for him, losing le mans on the last lap to mechanical failure after essentially a perfect run is brutal, even worse it was a DNQ so Audi loving got a spot on the podium, and they'd been loving it up all race.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think Nakajima is a ok driver, aside from his time in F1. I follow Formula Nippon as well and he's good there.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I crashed at Midnight US Central time and woke up a few minutes ago. Checking the results and poor Nakajima-san. :smith:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

I crashed right when poo poo hit the fan apparently. Everything was clean with very problems until many cars crashed or had problems. I was rooting Audi but goddamn that's just punching you in the nuts for 24 hours. Most similar thing was probably Tony Stewart, Dale Earnhardt Jr, and Andy Wallace's run in the 2004 Rolex 24 where the whole rear end broke off with 16 mins to go.

And since we haven't talked that much about GTLM, at this rate the whole class will be under a protest or 2.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/multiple-protests-in-wake-of-gte-pro-finish-at-le-mans/

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but that class was handled pretty poorly this year.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol Ferrari is complaining that Ford went too fast. thats their actual loving protest. not that they cheated, or schemed... but that they went too fast in relation to P2.

ferrari is the worst. maybe they are just trying to remind us all of the original GT40 years where they kicked and whined and complained the entire time then, too

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh good. I was looking for angry internet commentary that Ford dishonored Le Mans by fielding a very fast car.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ban ferrari

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Cygni posted:

lol Ferrari is complaining that Ford went too fast. thats their actual loving protest. not that they cheated, or schemed... but that they went too fast in relation to P2.

ferrari is the worst. maybe they are just trying to remind us all of the original GT40 years where they kicked and whined and complained the entire time then, too

Meanwhile the Ferrari was on the same lap at the end

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Managed to catch a few of the last hours, but missed the finish. Poor, poor Toyota. Running flawlessly for 23:55. Not good enough.

Just, wow.

ed- Radio Le Mans reacting to the last five minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIIPAXYIOng&t=9990s

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 19, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Ferrari probably had the faster car too

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

And so far both 1st place Ford and 2nd place Ferrari got penalized for different things but still the 7% rule protest thing is up in the air. Ah good old shitstorm of politics being combined with BoP.

E: and both didn't lose a spot with those penalties.

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 19, 2016

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

WindyMan posted:

Managed to catch a few of the last hours, but missed the finish. Poor, poor Toyota. Running flawlessly for 23:55. Not good enough.

Just, wow.

ed- Radio Le Mans reacting to the last five minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIIPAXYIOng&t=9990s

Kinda glad I was listening to the wec feed and not RLM. The wec crew at least had half a clue about what was going on.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I just assumed RLM hadn't heard the radio message saying the Toyota had lost power. That made it pretty immediately clear to the TV audience even if you didn't want to believe it.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Fauxhawk Express posted:

i hope the black, red, and white car wins

yay

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Eurosport got it instantly too.

The telementary, which was live on the screen at the time made it pretty clear it wasn't going above 120mph either.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Re: the questions a page ago about whether Toyota will continue in WEC

https://twitter.com/ToyotaMotorCorp/status/744796291268370432

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Has it come out what exactly failed on that car? Was it electrical, the engine, the hybrid system?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

kill me now posted:

Has it come out what exactly failed on that car? Was it electrical, the engine, the hybrid system?

i assumed it was the transmission at first because it seemed like he couldn't get out of 4th

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Rumours are turbo failure.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Riso posted:

Rumours are turbo failure.

But it didn't poo poo its turbo out the exhaust. Usually with a turbo seizing up it will poo poo the turbo out the exhaust as the vanes inside the impeller section break off.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

wicka posted:

i assumed it was the transmission at first because it seemed like he couldn't get out of 4th

I assumed it was electrical because of the stop and reset he did at the start finish line.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm a bit dumb on how endurance race rules work. What would have happened if the Toyota stopped just before the line instead of just after? Could it have held onto podium position still if it rolled over it after the Audi started its lap after the clock hit zero?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Goetta posted:

I'm a bit dumb on how endurance race rules work. What would have happened if the Toyota stopped just before the line instead of just after? Could it have held onto podium position still if it rolled over it after the Audi started its lap after the clock hit zero?

It would have had to complete a cool down lap but yes. He kinda screwed up by rolling across the start/finish line, but at the time I'm sure he was hoping to get it going again.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
If they determined the car could drive but he was intentionally sitting short of the finish line they could DQ him under 10.15

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.instagram.com/p/BG1vuFgKe2K/

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

But it didn't poo poo its turbo out the exhaust. Usually with a turbo seizing up it will poo poo the turbo out the exhaust as the vanes inside the impeller section break off.

Boost pressure control system failure according to a 2nd hand translation of a Japanese blog. Fits the loss of turbo with no smoke description.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Depending on the anti-lag system they are using (which I assume is real complicated and above my head), that could be more than enough to screw everything up

• Locked thread