Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

So who's going to do the honors of breaking in the rear suspension with LaF?

:quagmire:

If I do this trip properly, a girl whose name I won't remember the next morning :quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

literally a fish posted:

Totally OK, poo poo happens :sun:

Indeed! Also okay, see above. I don't suppose you'd be available to transport it down to RVA from Ken's (if that's even something you'd consider doing) somewhere in the next few weeks? :3:

E: heh I forgot to add the actual post content.

Engine seller will be delivering engine to Ken's place on Sunday. IDS HABBENDING. FUGG.

Lemme check, but I'm not planning any trips to WV. I spent basically two weeks there, cleaning out the house and getting it ready for sale. It's finally on the market, but who knows if/when it'll sell.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Engine, trans, and tcase have been delivered, a day early! I looked them over and here's a list of stuff, we've already discussed some of it.
- you need a new set of flexplate to TQ bolts, they are allen head I guess and some stripped and had to be plasma'd out
- you need a new flexplate, because he nicked it a little plasmaing the heads off. No real loss, not replacing a flexplate while it is apart is asking to be angry when it cracks 5k miles later
- ac compressor is included but not installed. Bolts included as well. I think it was removed for engine mount access but not sure.
- all other accessories included and still on engine
- airbox and intake tract are included
- it will need a new passenger header due to a goober trying to drill out a busted collector flange stud. I recall you want to put headers on it anyways. No loss.
- need to grab a rear output slipyoke and weld yoke for the frankendriveshaft, they weren't included as he didn't want to cut the driveshaft up
- may need a trans shifter cable, or find a way to adapt the van's.
- entire harness looks pretty good.
- I need to figure out how we are sealing the tcase front output if you aren't 4x4ing it or 2wd converting the trans. I was expecting the same front output yoke/flange setup everyone else uses and it looks like chevy did something else. It may or may not actually need sealing, not sure. I'll look in the morning.

I don't know if it had VATS or if it was turned off before ripping the cab off and scrapping it so I don't want to try and fire it up and get you locked out of the ecu or something. I know absolutely nothing about tuning these.

I'll check if the O2 sensors were included (are they in the manifolds or Ypipe? I didn't notice) in the morning and see what else I can tell you.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

I'll check if the O2 sensors were included (are they in the manifolds or Ypipe? I didn't notice) in the morning and see what else I can tell you.

Y pipe, like 4" from the flange where it bolts to the manifolds.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

some texas redneck posted:

So who's going to do the honors of breaking in the rear suspension with LaF?

:quagmire:

You know who.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Raluek posted:

Y pipe, like 4" from the flange where it bolts to the manifolds.

Goddamnit

LaF I think you need O2 sensors... and bungs since I am assuming the headers won't have them preinstalled

:doh:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Goddamnit

LaF I think you need O2 sensors... and bungs since I am assuming the headers won't have them preinstalled

:doh:

Might as well do a wideband.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
The headers I've been looking at do in fact have O2 sensor bungs.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Might as well do a wideband.

Factory upstream-of-cat sensors is/are wideband and necessary for the ECU to work properly, but fortunately they're $33 on rockauto. Downstream I don't give a poo poo about and will be ignored/disabled.

e: i should clarify, the engine will run without it/them but it wouldn't be happy about it

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 19, 2016

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
So it looks like the engine will be coming down July 17th or thereabouts

there is going to be so little time to actually do the swap/install

I see my first few days in the US will be spent wrenching. I am totally OK with this.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
"Welcome to America! Here's a wrench and a beer, let's go do something incredibly inadvisable!"

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

You got the beer/wrench order backwards.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
how the hell am I going to explain the purpose of my visit to the immigration officer

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

literally a fish posted:

how the hell am I going to explain the purpose of my visit to the immigration officer

Revenge.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

literally a fish posted:

Sexual Tourism.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

literally a fish posted:

Offer to show him your parts down under?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

literally a fish posted:

IA! IA! CTHULHU F'TAGN!

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 20, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

literally a fish posted:

He probably doesn't speak bogan anyway, don't worry about it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Putting this on the calendar, earmarking beer funds.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

literally a fish posted:

Pilgrimage/Mission trip

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

I don't know if it had VATS or if it was turned off before ripping the cab off and scrapping it so I don't want to try and fire it up and get you locked out of the ecu or something. I know absolutely nothing about tuning these.

The worst that will happen is it just won't crank. It won't lock you out of anything except the starter, and it'll forget everything after the battery is disconnected.

Depending on the VATS implementation, you can sometimes get around it by leaving the ignition on for 10-30 minutes. I think it's 30 minutes if it's the first time you've tried to start it with VATS issues, then 10 minutes every time after until the battery is disconnected again.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
As long as I can get an OBD2 plug wired up, I should be able to use Tremek's HPTuners software/device to disable any security features that it might still have, and tell it the new rear end ratio. Should be OK.

Who wants to find me a 2002 Silverado 2500 6.0 wiring diagram? :v: I can hear the Painless Performance harness calling me...

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 21, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How about a 2003 3500 6.0?

I mean... I know it's a year off, but it's the right engine, just with a bit of a body refresh. Scroll a little further down in that and you'll find info for a 2001 5.3. I would think between the two you can probably get most of the way there.

edit: This appears to be the pinout for the 2002 ECU.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 21, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Mostly I need to know what each color of wire going through the firewall is/does, so with any luck the colors on the ECU will match where it goes through the firewall, so that might help :sun:

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 21, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

literally a fish posted:

As long as I can get an OBD2 plug wired up, I should be able to use Tremek's HPTuners software/device to disable any security features that it might still have, and tell it the new rear end ratio. Should be OK.

Who wants to find me a 2002 Silverado 2500 6.0 wiring diagram? :v: I can hear the Painless Performance harness calling me...

https://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html mash the big red wiring diagrams button and have fun.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

https://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html mash the big red wiring diagrams button and have fun.

Throws a certificate error, then 404s. :crossarms:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

What the hell, their webserver must have been configured by a moron. Take the WWW off and it works great, with it on it does what you said.

http://bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually it's the https that's the problem. You're trying to establish a secured HTTP connection to an unsecured webserver.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

A giant radiator fan and two more ARP bolt sets showed up as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Man, this almost makes me wish I lived in the NE. Or was visiting at the right time.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I need to ask Kastein to take/post some pics of the motor

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I keep forgetting to since it's under a tarp that I just walk past, but here's something I ganked for you on Saturday. 32 spline, I think it's the right ID and OD for the transfer case on your drivetrain but haven't found time to testfit yet.

I intentionally sawzalled it a few inches into the larger diameter section so that if it happens to match well with the van's driveshaft they can be sleeved and welded together. Will measure OD (and ujoint cross dimensions so you can get a new one if needed) when I get a chance. It's a nylon-injected ujoint but you can get ones that come with ISRs that replace them, it's just obnoxious to remove the nylon and caps first.

Cost me way less than an aftermarket stock replacement would ($65-70 is what I'm seeing) - $20 for the yoke, ujoint, weld yoke, and cut tubing.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Awesome! I have literally no idea if it will fit as the information I can find on the outputs of the various transfer cases says "look up the specific transfer case model as stamped on the nameplate on the case" and then refuses to tell me what kind of transfer case I ought to have.

I suspect we'll find out soon enough :v: (please fit...)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It fits, you're good to go. I forgot to measure the ujoint and tubing ID and it's the temperature of the sun and the humidity of satan's grundle out there so that will have to wait.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

It fits, you're good to go. I forgot to measure the ujoint and tubing ID and it's the temperature of the sun and the humidity of satan's grundle out there so that will have to wait.

Awesome! That should be pretty much all the bases covered, then. Just need wiring harness (I'm probably going to bite the bullet and buy a premade standalone harness, it's just not worth the time/effort to deal with a half-chopped stock harness, it's gonna be hard enough to get this done as-is) and a length measurement for the DS once the engine/trans are in the car. Thanks very much, Ken :3:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Thus began the engine's descent into Virginia, and my descent into Madness.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Look at that adorable Colorado.

:bigtran: John

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Whenever I see a Colorado I think it needs the Fuzzkill treatment ASAP.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
After NEFR was over, iForge, Adiabatic and I stopped at Kastein's place to pick up the 6.0/4L80E (plus extraneous transfer-case [possibly for later shenanigans? Who knows?]) and stare in awe at his AI/DIY compound.

A wild kastein appeared

He has neat things.

The toiletjeep awaits final judgement.

Rest assured, ratchet straps were added after this picture was taken.

Thanks, Ken!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
Mmmmmmm... sweet, sweet engine.

I can already tell I'm gonna spend my first week in the US finishing this build :v:

• Locked thread