Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Naval battles can be fun if you only do 1 or 2. Otherwise just build a full fleet of the relatively good iron-hulled ships (cruisers? I don't remember) and autoresolve every battle.

and make sure to fight every land battle within artillery support radius of your ships. I hate how the AI knows it's gonna get hit and scatters ahead of the shells, but you usually do a fair bit of damage anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Grand Prize Winner posted:

and make sure to fight every land battle within artillery support radius of your ships. I hate how the AI knows it's gonna get hit and scatters ahead of the shells, but you usually do a fair bit of damage anyway.

There's a trick - you have to wait until the AI begins to 'run' towards your line for the engagement, usually right when they cross into range of your missile infantry. If you time it properly the AI will eat the full volley. If it's still walking towards you then it will dodge the artillery.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

That is the absolute worst thing about Fall of the Samurai. Endless waves of one or two ship fleets constantly raiding up and down your coastline and you need to play every single battle or your own fleet will get wrecked. And every single battle, they sit at the far side of the map, not moving, while you take ten minutes realtime to trudge over there and blow them up with one shot.

I recently finished a FOTS campaign (all hail the glorious republic of Nagaoka) and I autoresolved every single sea battle except the one after I first got the L' ocean (all hail the French), just to see what it looked like. FOTS is peak TW for me but I wish there was better balance between traditional and modern, if you want to do a traditional playthrough it basically means not researching anything which is just boring.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
We're overdue for Victoria:total war at this point, honestly.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The best use of fots naval bombardment is sieges. Nothing feels as good as the first time you level a tenshu in one salvo

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

That is the absolute worst thing about Fall of the Samurai. Endless waves of one or two ship fleets constantly raiding up and down your coastline and you need to play every single battle or your own fleet will get wrecked. And every single battle, they sit at the far side of the map, not moving, while you take ten minutes realtime to trudge over there and blow them up with one shot.
By the end of my FotS games I tend to just build citadels for every coastal province, and station like two gunboats in every port. It's a huge moneysink, but usually the AI decides that raids are no longer worth it.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Ofaloaf posted:

By the end of my FotS games I tend to just build citadels for every coastal province, and station like two gunboats in every port. It's a huge moneysink, but usually the AI decides that raids are no longer worth it.

Its not like you have anything better to spend money on, since you're limited in the amount of armies you can throw around by how many the game decides to give you.

Which is why Geshias are a worthwhile investment late game, to snipe off worthy generals from your enemies.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Arbite posted:

Are things like map mods doable? Is something as ridiculous as Hyrule Total War possible?

Map modding has not been possible since Med 2. Hyrule Total War is a legitimately amazing mod, and I have absolutely no interest in Zelda games

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Liu posted:

I recently finished a FOTS campaign (all hail the glorious republic of Nagaoka) and I autoresolved every single sea battle except the one after I first got the L' ocean (all hail the French), just to see what it looked like. FOTS is peak TW for me but I wish there was better balance between traditional and modern, if you want to do a traditional playthrough it basically means not researching anything which is just boring.

Can you even win a campaign with only traditional units? I mean, I've seen my line of line infantry and armstrong guns and I really cannot imagine anyone getting past it with bows and swords, no matter how cleverly they maneuver.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Liu posted:

You can research the first two tiers of tech and still stay 'traditionalist', at least. You just need plenty of the buildings that combat modernisation.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Can you even win a campaign with only traditional units? I mean, I've seen my line of line infantry and armstrong guns and I really cannot imagine anyone getting past it with bows and swords, no matter how cleverly they maneuver.

With how bad the AI is at developing actual armies I could certainly see it being possible, if pretty difficult. When I played a republic game on hard I remember seeing huge amounts of levies and wooden cannons even as the campaign drew to a close, with only the occasional Parrott gun or modern unit.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Playing traditional armies requires lots of exploiting line of sight and terrain

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Don't fire till right before they would hit your lines, they scatter, you counter charge their disorganized line. Or they eat a full salvo, take massive morale and causalities. Win-win.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Don't fire till right before they would hit your lines, they scatter, you counter charge their disorganized line. Or they eat a full salvo, take massive morale and causalities. Win-win.

I wonder if you can stick all your armstrong guns together, put some gatling guns inbetween, bait the AI into attacking there because your line looks weak and lock them down with ship artillery just in front of your line.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

I wonder if you can stick all your armstrong guns together, put some gatling guns inbetween, bait the AI into attacking there because your line looks weak and lock them down with ship artillery just in front of your line.

Try putting your gatlings in front of your armstrongs. :getin:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

Try putting your gatlings in front of your armstrongs. :getin:

I always assumed that would mean they'd have to shoot in an arc, reducing their accuracy, or have to shoot between the guns in front of them, reducing the targetable area. I ended up just combining each pair of armstrong guns with a gatling gun in my line because the AI doesn't understand what area denial is.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

I always assumed that would mean they'd have to shoot in an arc, reducing their accuracy, or have to shoot between the guns in front of them, reducing the targetable area. I ended up just combining each pair of armstrong guns with a gatling gun in my line because the AI doesn't understand what area denial is.

Its not like armstrongs need spot on accuracy to kill a bunch of dudes, just find a hill, plop the armstongs on the top, the gatlings further down the slop, stick a spear levy nearby to avoid sudden acts of cavalry and boom, you've just anchored one flank of your line forever.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

Its not like armstrongs need spot on accuracy to kill a bunch of dudes, just find a hill, plop the armstongs on the top, the gatlings further down the slop, stick a spear levy nearby to avoid sudden acts of cavalry and boom, you've just anchored one flank of your line forever.

Spear levies? Please, I obviously use carbine cav behind the artillery to shoot over it in case anyone comes near.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/747033039495118848

Twitter settles it.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
I would have thought CA would be more original than copying Britain this week.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Are those votes for actual discounts and poo poo, or are they just putting up two unrelated, random TW games against each other? :confused:
As a Gen X'er this twitter stuff still baffles me.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

At least the naval battles in RTW2 are quick. (:shepicide:)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

sauer kraut posted:

Are those votes for actual discounts and poo poo, or are they just putting up two unrelated, random TW games against each other? :confused:
As a Gen X'er this twitter stuff still baffles me.

They're doing a series of votes for Twitter to pick the best historical game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How is Rome 2: Emperor Edition? I saw that Rome 2 was a complete mess at launch so I held off getting it and just continued to play Shogun 2 (which is my favorite Total War game to date). I like Rome a quite a bit too so for 15 dollars Rome 2 is looking pretty enticing.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I haven't played it but I've heard the consensus is "It's decent now".

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Rome II is good now. It was terrible at release but there's plenty of DLC (and a free campaign) in addition to the grand campaign. Probably not too much there if you're looking to put 2/300 hours into the game, but at $15 its a steal.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
It's good now, there's still a bit of jankiness left over from release but you can gloss over that as your legions conquer the known world. Having the steam mod workshop integrated helps, there's a whole bunch ranging from small quality of life mods to large overhauls that change the game a lot. DLC-wise I'd skip the culture DLCs unless you're super keen to play as that culture yourself, Beasts DLC I found to be pretty underwhelming, Daughters of Mars was probably not worth it to most but Gladiatrices are hilarious, Caesar in Gaul I found to be pretty fun (but the challenge can get a bit ridiculous later on), Hannibal at the Gates is also meant to be good.

Rome II EE + Traits Talents and Toadies Mod (more interesting skill choices) + 4 Turns Per Year Mod (longer living characters) + Better Campaign AI 2.1 Mod (seemingly less AI derp) gave me many hours of enjoyable barbarian slaughter

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Jimbot posted:

How is Rome 2: Emperor Edition? I saw that Rome 2 was a complete mess at launch so I held off getting it and just continued to play Shogun 2 (which is my favorite Total War game to date). I like Rome a quite a bit too so for 15 dollars Rome 2 is looking pretty enticing.

I've put 355 hours into it at this point and am still having a blast. I wouldn't advise it at full price but on these sales both Rome2 and Atilla are decent buys. What really makes these games standouts to me is the coop campaign mode where in battle you can share units with the other human. If that's something you'd be into, this is gonna be your bag. There's other good stuff to be had with these games but that's the biggest thing they offer that other games don't. The unit sharing in coop campaign also means two players of different skill levels can play together effectively since the stronger player can always help the weaker one in battles.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Rome 2 with Caesar in Gaul and Hannibal at the Gates are must-buys for total war fans

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

chairface posted:

I've put 355 hours into it at this point and am still having a blast. I wouldn't advise it at full price but on these sales both Rome2 and Atilla are decent buys. What really makes these games standouts to me is the coop campaign mode where in battle you can share units with the other human. If that's something you'd be into, this is gonna be your bag. There's other good stuff to be had with these games but that's the biggest thing they offer that other games don't. The unit sharing in coop campaign also means two players of different skill levels can play together effectively since the stronger player can always help the weaker one in battles.

You know he's already got Shogun 2 which literally has better multiplayer co-op in every way over Rome 2 and Atilla with such amazing things as "The other player can do things when it's not their turn" and "Can gift each other units on the campaign map", right?

I would say Atilla is significantly better than Rome 2 and you really only need one or the other.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

shalcar posted:

You know he's already got Shogun 2 which literally has better multiplayer co-op in every way over Rome 2 and Atilla with such amazing things as "The other player can do things when it's not their turn" and "Can gift each other units on the campaign map", right?

I would say Atilla is significantly better than Rome 2 and you really only need one or the other.

I do agree that Atilla is the better game, but they have wildly different settings and campaign paces, so I wouldn't call them redundant products. If someone is more enthused about the classical era in general or wants a more traditional empire builder they will probably enjoy Rome 2 more.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Attila is so wildly different from your standard total war that i tend to advise against it based on that alone. If said person is up for a different experience, then sure, grab it!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

dogstile posted:

Attila is so wildly different from your standard total war that i tend to advise against it based on that alone. If said person is up for a different experience, then sure, grab it!

Its less your classic total war game and more a match of L4D in a strategy game form. :supaburn:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ammanas posted:

Rome 2 with Caesar in Gaul and Hannibal at the Gates are must-buys for total war fans

Yeah those mini campaigns own.

So does Age of Charlemagne.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Chomp was running a total war warhammer tournament which I'm taking over since he's busy. If you're interested, it's an ultra casual series and if it's something you'd be interested in, you can sign up over here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonfights/discussions/0/358415738186952298/

He gnabbed enough players to go ahead with it already so it'll definitely be going forward. I'm currently working on the rules for it so if you have any input on that, feel free to mention it.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I'm eyeing Napoleon for a cheap summer sale pickup, but also considering FOTS. As someone who seems to have enjoyed Empire more than most, I'm wondering if FOTS will sufficiently scratch that gunpowerder-y itch. I've heard a lot of good things about FOTS, but I really enjoyed the battles and tech tree in Empire, so I'm wondering if there's enough similarity there with FOTS to hit the spot, or if I should just grab Napoleon and probably the Peninsular campaign. I really enjoyed the base Shogun 2, so hell, maybe I'll just grab both, but I'd love to hear what kind of state Napoleon wound up in.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Reztes posted:

I'm eyeing Napoleon for a cheap summer sale pickup, but also considering FOTS. As someone who seems to have enjoyed Empire more than most, I'm wondering if FOTS will sufficiently scratch that gunpowerder-y itch. I've heard a lot of good things about FOTS, but I really enjoyed the battles and tech tree in Empire, so I'm wondering if there's enough similarity there with FOTS to hit the spot, or if I should just grab Napoleon and probably the Peninsular campaign. I really enjoyed the base Shogun 2, so hell, maybe I'll just grab both, but I'd love to hear what kind of state Napoleon wound up in.

Man everyone is gonna say Napoleon+darthmod maybe, I dunno. But empire is clunky as gently caress. Like worse than Medieval 2, and Napoleon is straight boring. I bought both recently on steam after having empire since 2002 or whenever it was released and just could not roll with it.

FOTS on the other hand is some hilarious stuff. 2 Armstrong guns and a nearby navy is INCREDIBLY satisfying and horribly unbalanced. You won't come close to losing. It's great :)

That said if you liked Empire you'll probably most definitely enjoy Napoleon. Imo buy em all on sale.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah gently caress it it's like $15 for both anyway I guess. I just finished a Dwarf campaign in Warhammer and I need more guns I guess :shepicide:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Ammanas posted:

Man everyone is gonna say Napoleon+darthmod maybe, I dunno. But empire is clunky as gently caress. Like worse than Medieval 2, and Napoleon is straight boring. I bought both recently on steam after having empire since 2002 or whenever it was released and just could not roll with it.

FOTS on the other hand is some hilarious stuff. 2 Armstrong guns and a nearby navy is INCREDIBLY satisfying and horribly unbalanced. You won't come close to losing. It's great :)

That said if you liked Empire you'll probably most definitely enjoy Napoleon. Imo buy em all on sale.

Get them both. They are super cheap right now. Alternate them both when you want a break or something different. The only think you'll lose really is HDD space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing I'm missing the n Warhammer from Attila is the lethality of the fights. Might just be because I spend so much time fighting iron man dwarfs instead of Germans in burlap sacks