Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Have they released any full on supplements for 5e? Not just adventures, but real deal, "just new poo poo" books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
SCAG was the last real one of that sort and even that was very slim pickings.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
In November they are coming out with Volo's Guide to Monsters, which should have 100 or so new monsters, mostly from previous editions. It should also have at least a few new racial options for players. Firbolg, Triton, Orc, and Goblin at the very least.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Serperoth posted:

I've been mulling this idea about a Sailor-background Bard with bagpipes, all jovial and in some de facto sorta-power cause she has a voice louder than the captain's and can better relay orders.

I had a very similar idea to this, with the idea being that he sang sea shanties as his bardic music. But (with DM permission) I reflavored him to a swashbuckler rogue to be more in line with the campaign and with my expectations from the game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

404notfound posted:

I had a very similar idea to this, with the idea being that he sang sea shanties as his bardic music. But (with DM permission) I reflavored him to a swashbuckler rogue to be more in line with the campaign and with my expectations from the game.
This is like getting permission to trade in a swiss army knife for a toothpick and tweezers.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Covok posted:

Have they released any full on supplements for 5e? Not just adventures, but real deal, "just new poo poo" books?

Oh heaven's yes, there's plenty!

...in 3rd party.

Depths of Felk Morr is an old-school flavored megadungeon.

Primeval Thule is a Conanesque Sword & Sorcery Campaign Setting. It also has a Player's Guide and Adventure Anthology.

Amethyst: Quintessence is a 5E conversion of the Amethyst setting.

Men & Monsters of Ethiopia draws on ideas and tropes from Ethiopian folkore.

Book of Lost Magic is a collection of new spells. It got quite a bit of criticism rules-wise because many felt it was a straight port from earlier 3.X books, most notably the lack of more powerful versions when prepared in a higher level spell slot.

Fifth Edition Foes is a bestiary.

Book of Heroic Races: Player Races 1 has racial options for things such as catfolk, tengu, etc.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 19, 2016

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Boing posted:

Even straight bards can be flavoured a lot of ways. You don't have to be a lute-playing entertainer - you can be a lorekeeper who is a master of stories, or a namer who knows the words that change the world, or a warlord who exhorts allies with his rallying call, or a skald warrior-poet who writes odes to his fallen enemies, or a scholar who seeks to understand the world and pinch the harmonics of reality, like those dudes from Loom.

My favorite Bard concepts in no order:

WWF Hype man
Halfling battle rapper
Muhammad Ali

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Razorwired posted:

Muhammad Ali

You could make an entire party out of Muhammad Ali.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Be a warlock whose pact is with himself.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Libertad! posted:

Amethyst: Quintessence is a 5E conversion of the Amethyst setting.

Wait, like "Princess of Gemworld" Amethyst?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I assume the modern campaign setting they did for 4e. The other option is not beyond possibility, but I would doubt it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Razorwired posted:

My favorite Bard concepts in no order:

WWF Hype man
Halfling battle rapper
Muhammad Ali
A friend of mine is trying to get together an online game over Roll20 and when I described my desired character as a barbarian pro wrestler the bard immediately volunteered to be my front man.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

FRINGE posted:

Wait, like "Princess of Gemworld" Amethyst?

No magical girls yet for 5E, sadly.

Amethys is a "modern fantasy" setting where magic and feylike beings converged with near-future Earth, so you have dragons fighting jet fighters, ghosts in subway tunnels, etc. It first began as a 3.5 book, but then got converted into a shitload of other rulesets, from 4E to Pathfinder to FATE to Savage Worlds and probably a few more I can't recall.

Oh hey, that reminds me of something. Build-wise, what classes and spells can best replicate a magical girl in 5E? I was thinking something like Sailor Moon, Star from "Star vs. the Forces of Evil," etc. A reflavored Warlock Eldritch Blast sounds the most obvious, but I wanted to know if that's the best route?

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 19, 2016

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

goatface posted:

Be a warlock whose pact is with himself.
I enjoyed the old Dungeons and Douchebags thread.

fake edit: You know what, I'm gonna link it just 'cos

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
We need more comedy threads here, tg can get stuck in paragraph hell sometimes.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Latest survey results are out.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

Short form: revenant not really successful, inquisitive rogue okay, and as for the Monster Hunter fighter...

Mike Mearls posted:

The results for the Monster Hunter suggested an interesting direction for the fighter. I feel like the Battle Master fighter is one of the sorest spots in the Player’s Handbook. It falls flat in conveying flavor.

Could that *possibly* be because the BM is restricted to the simplest, blandest combat maneuvers imaginable? Gee I dunno!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
If you think the Battle Master is bland and restricted, wait till you see the Champion!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what does the Monster Hunter do, and in what ways is it half-assed garbage

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
It gets a bunch of similarly generic bonuses and maneuvers but has some flavour text about you being good at fighting werewolves, and you get a language and a couple skills or something.

I actually just discovered that UA and by god it has some horrible 'natural language' in it:

quote:

Whenever you make a Wisdom (Insight) check to sense if a creature is lying, you use the total of your check or 8 + your Wisdom modifier, whichever is higher. If you are proficient in Insight, you add your proficiency bonus to the fixed result. If you chose Insight as a skill augmented by your Expertise feature, add double your proficiency bonus.

The mechanics of this game apparently disallow you from writing "8 + your Wisdom (Insight) bonus" and requires several sentences to clarify that your proficiency applies to the skill that you have proficiency in and your expertise applies to the skill you have expertise in, here is how those things apply.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Rolling new characters tonight. What kind of bard shall I be?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Cat Face Joe posted:

Rolling new characters tonight. What kind of bard shall I be?

Take Acolyte background and all the healing spells and call yourself a Cleric.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A bard of echoes who is actually just a collection of parrots in a suit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
BWAR the gorebard. An Orc with an extremely "traditional" tribal costume who sings/screams songs about violence and bloodshed while thrashing on a discordant stringed instrument. Bonus points if you can get a codpiece with an endless bottle of red water that sprays out of it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Critic. Trained in countless artistic fields he refuses to display, but capable of dissecting any piece/event/movement in a few quips and witticisms.

Critique everything. Make people fall over with a disparaging remark about their choice of footwear. Write reports of your adventures that are published in newspapers across the region, with lurid and scathing reviews concerning the quality of architecture/trap/enemies you faced. Be feared but feted by every restaurant and shop in town as they hope for that priceless good review of their services.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Play nothing but a single metal bell that somehow changes tone to rupture the fabric of local-spacetime and forces the enemy to have missed breakfast.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Be a vegan crossfit Bard that vapes.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

gently caress, these are all extremely good.

goatface posted:

A bard of echoes who is actually just a collection of parrots in a suit.

I have tried to use the gimmick "is secretly a bunch of x disguised as y" multiple times but no DM has let me.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Cat Face Joe posted:

I have tried to use the gimmick "is secretly a bunch of x disguised as y" multiple times but no DM has let me.
Someone needs to play Gamma World.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yoked Galileo. Astound people with your flexing, inform them of the dangers of carbohydrates, drink lots of strange and disgusting fluids that help you "commune with the god of the perfect protein-rich diet".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Use a theremin as your musical instrument.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Cat Face Joe posted:

Had an Ork weirdboy who was "secretly" a dozen psychic squids in a trenchcoat in my rogue trader game for a while. It was glorious, he was our navigator. Had a big brass tube he shouted directions to the engine into. Not the engineers, the engines themselves, the squigs spoke v8.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

goatface posted:

Yoked Galileo. Astound people with your flexing, inform them of the dangers of carbohydrates, drink lots of strange and disgusting fluids that help you "commune with the god of the perfect protein-rich diet".

I love this comic if only for the "Swoliness" title of address.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cat Face Joe posted:

Two halflings in a robe, claim that your ability to sing harmony with yourself is due to intense bardic training.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

OK so I'm going to be 12 kobolds in a suit of armor and each of them will use one of the suggested gimmicks from here.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Cat Face Joe posted:

OK so I'm going to be 12 kobolds in a suit of armor and each of them will use one of the suggested gimmicks from here.

Let us know how Magical Medieval Voltron works out.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cat Face Joe posted:

I look forward to hearing of the adventures of a kobold who is actually two halflings and also your left arm.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...

gradenko_2000 posted:

Use a theremin as your musical instrument.

Be Armen Ra.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No, gently caress that, be Sun Ra.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Boing posted:

The mechanics of this game apparently disallow you from writing "8 + your Wisdom (Insight) bonus" and requires several sentences to clarify that your proficiency applies to the skill that you have proficiency in and your expertise applies to the skill you have expertise in, here is how those things apply.

There's already something in the rules that accomplishes exactly this. The end result is just a modified Reliable Talent feature from the rogue class. It could just read "When making an insight check to determine if a creature is lying, treat a d20 roll of 7 or lower as an 8." Boom, one sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Splicer posted:

I enjoyed the old Dungeons and Douchebags thread.

fake edit: You know what, I'm gonna link it just 'cos

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Fighter keeps listening to tavern-goers' descriptions of wild monster in the woods, only to respond with "Hmm...sounds like the Updog has come"
I have no idea why this one in particular struck such a chord with me, but I've been laughing for the last four minutes.