Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The best part about the ridiculous "Tables" ad is that I'm pretty sure that the music was by Godspeed You! Black Emperor, which is well known as a anti-capitalist band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWOGbu5BcT0

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
To open up bad ideas...

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Mustache Ride posted:

The ending without any music was spot on. I enjoyed this episode more than any other so far this season.

this is my reaction to the end sequence too, good call on the director's part

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
In a weird way I'm...happy(?) to see Gavin and Jack build something from the wreckage of Pied Piper's B2B phase, specifically because Gavin is out for revenge not against Pied Piper, but against the board members who hosed him

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
i shouldnt cheer for Gavin, but there ya go

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really like the story this season, this season is really good, but other then the first episode the show has lost its humor almost completely? There's been some good jokes but not on the frequency of seasons 1 and 2 and nothing that has made me laugh out loud.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I said come in! posted:

I really like the story this season, this season is really good, but other then the first episode the show has lost its humor almost completely?

How did you not lose your poo poo at Pipey? Or Gavin bringing the board to a god drat elephant? There may not be as much humor but there is still a lot of it that is really good.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
What I don't get, is that it seems Gavin decided to pull the "I SHALL HAVE MY REVENGE" gambit before he even signed the "we're sorry we almost shitcanned you" contract they were pitching.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

limp_cheese posted:

How did you not lose your poo poo at Pipey? Or Gavin bringing the board to a god drat elephant? There may not be as much humor but there is still a lot of it that is really good.

Pipey brought back my PTSD. :/

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What I don't get, is that it seems Gavin decided to pull the "I SHALL HAVE MY REVENGE" gambit before he even signed the "we're sorry we almost shitcanned you" contract they were pitching.

Next episode should open on that point with Action Jack Barker, CEO of Hooli.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
i never saw this before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U16XShROI8

guess I'm not "with it" enough to appreciate this show

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That episode was awful. Just really bad and not funny.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Edit: ^^Booo, it was hilarious! Also, TJ Miller's being overused. He's fat and depressed and his character sucks.

I'm with the terminator guy. The way Pied Piper's network functions, it sounds like some kind of World Brain whose long-term memory is your file storage.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Edit: ^^Booo, it was hilarious! Also, TJ Miller's being overused. He's fat and depressed and his character sucks.

He had barely any lines this episode, and his plane crash speech made me laugh out loud.

quote:

I'm with the terminator guy. The way Pied Piper's network functions, it sounds like some kind of World Brain whose long-term memory is your file storage.

I think that was pretty much just cloud computing and machine learning as explained by someone trying to sound as hobo crazy as possible.

I liked the "We all know what's in eggs...? Electrons!"

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Avasculous posted:

I liked the "We all know what's in eggs...? Electrons!"

"You know what's in yogurt, right!?"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It was a decent season finale once you chose to actively ignore the fact that for the sake of ensuring Pied Piper's perpetual underdog status the show has sacrificed much of its authenticity.

The plot point of Richard being on the spectrum and failing to recognize the end-user oriented UI design is a thing and that no company would approach a beta release without UI designers on board was fine at first as it set up this last episode but Richard coming with some half assed explanation for why they're not able to simplify the UI (or at least offer a simple layout alongside the 'airplane' one) was silly, I expected a mad dash to the finish line not Richard and everyone else simply ignoring the existence of a straight forward solution.

The thing with the box also bothered me cause in the first place there was no compelling explanation as to why Pied Piper didn't sell the amazing box they produced initially, Jack's "algorithmic exclusivity for three times the price" clause could have been knocked out and they could have sold the box either way, this being used as a rescue line for Gavin instead (effectively undoing his entire arc this season) was kinda lame.

I still liked it cause this is all bullshit but I expected them to be clever, idk.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 20, 2016

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Season finale is next week.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ah, well. As long as the UI thing won't be a cliffhanger I guess I don't mind as much.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I legitimately don't understand how the response to "our UX is garbage" isn't "hire a UX team".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

I legitimately don't understand how the response to "our UX is garbage" isn't "hire a UX team".

But buses and... Planes!

Yeah, but Richard is a back-end engineer and has no idea what he's doing when taken out of his element.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Did anyone else get the vibe that they're going to hire Bernice as their layman's spokesperson?

If they can explain it to her and have her get it, she could be the one to teach the average user about it. Because we all know Richard sucks at that.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah, she seemed like a nice combination of [Deeply Understands], [Is Enthusiastic] and [Is Personable]. She'd be a great spokesperson.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The best part about the ridiculous "Tables" ad is that I'm pretty sure that the music was by Godspeed You! Black Emperor, which is well known as a anti-capitalist band.

I could be wrong because I couldn't place the exact song, but it sounded like Sigur Ros to me.

El Pato
Jul 2, 2007

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
I am not that smart so this might be obvious to everyone else.

If the photos and videos are in everyone´s phones, what happens when lets say 5% of the people storing my picture are not connected to the internet the moment I want my picture?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

El Pato posted:

If the photos and videos are in everyone´s phones, what happens when lets say 5% of the people storing my picture are not connected to the internet the moment I want my picture?

Because it's not on people's phones. Lots of people help the compression and retrieval, but the photos themselves are somewhere in that giant server farm we keep on seeing or one just like it.

The bigger question is what happens if you're without an internet connection, how do you get your photos and files then? Especially since there's no option to download anything put on Pied Piper.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

El Pato posted:

It's not supposed to be super realistic so don't think too hard about it. Maybe the P2P stuff is only for caching to make things faster. I mean even that doesn't really make much sense but that's not really the point; the whole point is that it doesn't make sense to the average layperson.

The episode was kind of "meh" to me. Not so many good jokes and it's hard to suspend my disbelief when the show ignores the most obvious possible solution to its problem. I get the whole schtick about engineer-driven culture, but they're stretching it way too thin by making it an existential threat to the company rather than, ya know, spending money to fix the UI/UX.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

fez_machine posted:

Because it's not on people's phones. Lots of people help the compression and retrieval, but the photos themselves are somewhere in that giant server farm we keep on seeing or one just like it.

The bigger question is what happens if you're without an internet connection, how do you get your photos and files then? Especially since there's no option to download anything put on Pied Piper.

It's a TV show.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

victorious posted:

I could be wrong because I couldn't place the exact song, but it sounded like Sigur Ros to me.

it was 'storm' by godspeed you! black emperor

i wonder how much it cost hbo. when danny boyle asked to license east hastings for twenty eight days later they gave him a number they thought was high enough it would make it clear they weren't interested in licensing their music but he agreed not only to pay it but also to exclude it from the film soundtrack

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

i never saw this before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U16XShROI8

guess I'm not "with it" enough to appreciate this show

Wow, I think that was actually worse than the Tables ad.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Amazing. I just thought it was supposed to be a generic vague 2010s commercial but this makes it so much better.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So what happens when Lauren inevitably finds out about Jared's click farm?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e31fzretU0

So. What do you think he does?

The only thing I can think of is he sacrifices privacy for monetization, Big Data analytics or some such..

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Investing in UX is still something companies have a hard time doing, especially smaller start ups where the founders think they know best.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

And the fact they are out of money...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well they had money for a UX guy when they first addressed the problem. Richard opted for those seminars and trade shows instead because he thought the platform couldn't be changed.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...Name=ladygalaga

hey did you hear about the story with the roller blades?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
i thiunk it was a new yorker article

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

sticklefifer posted:

Did anyone else get the vibe that they're going to hire Bernice as their layman's spokesperson?

If they can explain it to her and have her get it, she could be the one to teach the average user about it. Because we all know Richard sucks at that.

This is exactly what I took away from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Richard has geolocating on for users, given he learned Monica was using the app and lying about it. No way that all the new users are in one area doesn't come to light pretty quick next episode.

While not an episode heavy on the jokes, I dug Erlich's continued use of the plane crash metaphor with all the emphatic details.

• Locked thread