Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
It's pretty funny/sad that the Devs made it a point to mention that McCree will still be a strong counter to Genji in the notes but boy howdy did they gently caress that up real good.

As far as I can tell you never want a McCree on your team anymore. Even if he is lord god of headclicking a 76 would be much better at the mid range anyways, AND 76 has a group heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Even if he is lord god of headclicking a 76 would be much better at the mid range anyways, AND 76 has a group heal.

76 has sprint too, which is great mobility, plus rocket jumps, and anti-turret and some anti-sniper capability

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I must only come up against bad winstons when I play tracer because they're usually free as

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
For consoles, tickrate and hitboxes are fine because you guys desperately need all the aim assist you can get.

For PC, 20 tickrate is utter poo poo, start paying attention to your location when you die and then watch your deathcam, sometimes it will report your location almost an entire second behind where you actually were.
Projectile hitboxes are bad on PC because of consoles, gotta make it easier to land hits with thumbsticks. A regular PC developer would merely speed up a projectile if it proved to be too hard to land a hit with. Instead Blizzard enlarged the hitboxes so you get goofy moments where an arrow will hit a player despite being a foot away from the model, sometimes you can watch an arrow sail to your left or right then you die .2 seconds later because its hitbox grazed you.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

NTRabbit posted:

I fired up Winston's ult when I landed on the indoors nepal cap point to force overtime, immediately took a swing at a molten core Torb, and before it could connect I was punted into the chasm by a roadhog ult. I'm sure Winston works for some people, but he doesn't work for me, the only worthwhile tanks are Reinhardt, and D.Va if you use her as a flanker on Volskaya assault and Lian towers.

Round 2 was the wooden temple map, I used Roadhog instead; hooked the enemy Roadhog, and halfway through hi being dragged into me suddenly I'm hooked and being dragged to him, where I get gibbed. Working as intended, I'm sure.

How long until they fix the netcode again?

You rarely ever want to use Winston's ult right away. It will instantly heal, so you need to save it for the last possible moment so when they think you're gone, you're actually a mad ape who is going to smash them.

Winston's ultimate timer almost coincides perfectly with the barrier cooldown and this is no accident. Jump in, plop down your barrier, do as much work with your tesla cannon as you can. Soften everyone up, and when the barrier breaks and people start focus you seriously, go ape and smash their stupid faces in.

By the time it finishes, you'll have barrier up so you can plop that down, finish off anyone who's still alive then jump back to safety.

e: I'm not the greatest Winston by any means but switching to him did secure us a victory from almost certain defeat here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixBXIn88B6Q

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 20, 2016

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I increasingly think people are missing out by playing flankers and snipers all the time, because the real joy in this game is the tanks.

Diving right into the middle of the carnage on a point and getting into people's faces is some of the most fun gaming I've ever had.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You instantly get another jump cooldown when starting Winston's ult and another one when it ends. You really have every reason to pop his ult while you're already in the middle of the fray.

Unless you want to pop it midair so you can do a double super jump.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

peanut- posted:

I increasingly think people are missing out by playing flankers and snipers all the time, because the real joy in this game is the tanks.

Diving right into the middle of the carnage on a point and getting into people's faces is some of the most fun gaming I've ever had.

Yeah, but when the other team rolls up with like 3 or 4 of them trying to flank and you bring out a roadhog and a mccree then I ain't missing out on poo poo. Oh hey Gengi, I see you doublejumped across this roof to get alongside us and KACHINK SUP FOOL NICE TO MEET YOU AND EVEN NICER TO BLAP YOU WITH A SHOT/MELEE COMBO

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

resistentialism posted:

You instantly get another jump cooldown when starting Winston's ult and another one when it ends. You really have every reason to pop his ult while you're already in the middle of the fray.

the secret benefit of many characters' ults.

Pharah gets another tank of fuel. Genji gets his dash back.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Winston's ult always gives you a free health bar too so you can use it strategically if someone is trying to burst you down.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i gotta say it's pretty great to see a big angry monkey get stuck in a bear trap and just sit there swinging his mitts at the air :allears:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i gotta say it's pretty great to see a big angry monkey get stuck in a bear trap and just sit there swinging his mitts at the air :allears:

But when he is you've got to make sure he goes down quick because now he's even angrier.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Stolen from reddit: quality netcode

Learn to aim imo

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Winston's good against Tracer because he can easily put damage onto her and then run her down if she's low. It's not the solo match-up it's how having a Winston in a group fight makes it harder for a Tracer to dodge damage or get away free.

Winston is in general very good at clean up or chase down duty because it's real hard to dodge his damage.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 20, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ddraig posted:

But when he is you've got to make sure he goes down quick because now he's even angrier.

You don't even have to be that quick. It's satisfying every time I get an ulting Winston stuck in a bear trap and then just casually shoot grenades at him a few feet away until he's dead. Winston ain't poo poo vs a Junkrat :cool:

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
If you are jumping on a torb in full view of a roadhog, you arent winstoning correctly. He is a backline disruptor, you wont get anything done jumping on their front line.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Higsian posted:

Winston's good against Tracer because he can easily put damage onto her and then run her down if she's low. It's not the solo match-up it's how having a Winston in a group fight makes it harder for a Tracer to dodge damage or get away free.

Winston is in general very good at clean up or chase down duty because it's real hard to dodge his damage.

Yeah Winston is the scariest tank for me as Tracer, generally. Usually I can escape if there's an indoor path, though. Prevents him from jumping after me as easily. The shield is really annoying as Tracer as well.

Zarya is the hardest to kill tank for me though. Aoe right click gun means you have to stay mobile and kind of far away, especially if she's charged up, and you can't deal some damage and disengage for a health pack and then come back to finish her off, because her shields will be back and her bubble cooldown will be too.

Roadhog might as well be a free kill that also charges your ultimate most of the way. Barring a lucky hook he can't really kill you, and blinking sideways if he does land it will still save you half the time even then. Reinhardt is pretty easy to kill on paper, but the shield makes it riskier and take longer, the 360 degree hammer swings will gently caress you up, and there's usually a bunch of players clustered around him too. Which can be good if you have your ult, but can also get you randomly splattered trying to dive in. Luckily all the tanks except Zarya are huge and easy to land most of a clip against.

Edit: forgot dva. She's easy to kill but takes a while because of all the armor. Scary only if you run out of cooldowns and she boops you with jumpjets somehow.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 20, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ddraig posted:

You rarely ever want to use Winston's ult right away. It will instantly heal, so you need to save it for the last possible moment so when they think you're gone, you're actually a mad ape who is going to smash them.

Winston's ultimate timer almost coincides perfectly with the barrier cooldown and this is no accident. Jump in, plop down your barrier, do as much work with your tesla cannon as you can. Soften everyone up, and when the barrier breaks and people start focus you seriously, go ape and smash their stupid faces in.

By the time it finishes, you'll have barrier up so you can plop that down, finish off anyone who's still alive then jump back to safety.

e: I'm not the greatest Winston by any means but switching to him did secure us a victory from almost certain defeat here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixBXIn88B6Q

My problem is that when I use it, Winston's gun is basically a lightbulb effect: like Zarya's beam it connects with the target so infrequently that I might as well not be shooting at all. The killcam replays when I get killed at point blank by Reapers, Widows, Tracers and Torbs show that the beams are all over the place, especially against moving targets, and take occasional health bars off as they pass back and forth over the target. The only things I can ever get it to consistently hit are stationary turrets. Winston's gun would actually be worth the entry fee if it had a lock on like Symmetra's (even though it's pretty easy to defeat the lockon effect just by running at the Symmetra so that you get behind her faster than the beam can snap/she can turn, keep doing that and the beam will never charge, just flicker)

Winston's ult punches aren't that great either, but that cap point is surrounded by cliffs, so it was far and away the better option to just pop the ult and try and get some lucky punches into the abyss. Unfortunately Roadhog had his ult ready as well, and welp.

This is why Reinhardt is the only tank - his shield is always reliable and long lasting short of double Bastion, no matter how bad the netcode is, likewise the melee attack with the enormous hit area and huge damage, and his charge has a wide catchment area, kills most things, and unlike Roadhog's random hook seems to actually always cause a stun at the end. Reinhardt basically works in spite of everything, because none of his abilities rely on the lovely nectode or the tick or whatever, and he's super tough.

Also worth remembering that D.Va is not in any way, shape, or form, a tank, she's a slightly less squishy flanker that was sorted into the wrong column.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 20, 2016

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Higsian posted:

Also, winston's 100 armor will reduce tracer's damage by half as long as he has his armor up.

I've been having good results battling tracer with winston myself.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

NTRabbit posted:

My problem is that when I use it, Winston's gun is basically a lightbulb effect: like Zarya's beam it connects with the target so infrequently that I might as well not be shooting at all. The killcam replays when I get killed at point blank by Reapers, Widows, Tracers and Torbs show that the beams are all over the place, especially against moving targets, and take occasional health bars off as they pass back and forth over the target. The only things I can ever get it to consistently hit are stationary turrets. Winston's gun would actually be worth the entry fee if it had a lock on like Symmetra's (even though it's pretty easy to defeat the lockon effect just by running at the Symmetra so that you get behind her faster than the beam can snap/she can turn, keep doing that and the beam will never charge, just flicker)

Winston's ult punches aren't that great either, but that cap point is surrounded by cliffs, so it was far and away the better option to just pop the ult and try and get some lucky punches into the abyss. Unfortunately Roadhog had his ult ready as well, and welp.

This is why Reinhardt is the only tank - his shield is always reliable and long lasting short of double Bastion, no matter how bad the netcode is, likewise the melee attack with the enormous hit area and huge damage, and his charge has a wide catchment area, kills most things, and unlike Roadhog's random hook seems to actually always cause a stun at the end. Reinhardt basically works in spite of everything, because none of his abilities rely on the lovely nectode or the tick or whatever, and he's super tough.

Also worth remembering that D.Va is not in any way, shape, or form, a tank, she's a slightly less squishy flanker that was sorted into the wrong column.

Err, what? Winston's cannon has autoaim built in. It's pretty easy to hit stuff with it. It's nothing like Zarya's gun.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
reminder that ntrabbit plays on ping that is over a second

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mister Fister posted:

Err, what? Winston's cannon has autoaim built in. It's pretty easy to hit stuff with it. It's nothing like Zarya's gun.

No it doesn't. Symmetra's gun has autoaim, and that I can hit pretty drat well with, Winston's gun fires straight forwards through the reticle, and killcam constantly confirms it rarely hits anything, because the server and my client have violent and extensive disagreements about exactly where my reticle is pointing at any given point in time.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 20, 2016

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

NTRabbit posted:

No it doesn't. Symmetra's gun has autoaim, and that I can hit pretty drat well with, Winston's gun fires straight forwards through the reticle, and killcam constantly confirms it rarely hits anything.

No it legit doesn't. It hits all targets in like a 90 degree cone in front of him.

But the second of lag might have something to do with that :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Gate posted:

No it legit doesn't. It hits all targets in like a 90 degree cone in front of him.

But the second of lag might have something to do with that :v:

No, it really doesn't, either side of straight down the reticle, albeit with a wider beam than Zarya, and no hits ever register, and it's not a second of lag, the ping is probably 200-300ms

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Orange Crush Rush posted:

It's pretty funny/sad that the Devs made it a point to mention that McCree will still be a strong counter to Genji in the notes but boy howdy did they gently caress that up real good.

As far as I can tell you never want a McCree on your team anymore. Even if he is lord god of headclicking a 76 would be much better at the mid range anyways, AND 76 has a group heal.

I was watching ONOG for a bit on friday and the map I saw of Reunited vs EnvyUS had taimou on mccree on hollywood defense. Afaik they were running mccree to pressure healers and have a redundant check to pharah.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Winston's gun fires at all targets within your FoV. It's possible to be damaging multiple enemies at a time.

You might be thinking of Zarya, who's primary fire is just a straight line.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Golem II posted:

Has Blizzard said anything about fixing the netcode?

Here's the most recent statement I could find: http://www.develop-online.net/news/blizzard-blames-misunderstanding-and-confusion-for-overwatch-server-tick-rate-criticism/0221405

In short, it would cause compatibility problems for about 20% of the playerbase, and they're not going to throw out 20% of their market in order to make the game slightly better.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Soz to the cats i was playing with last night. I kinda looked around and realized how drunk I was so I went to sleep.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

So they're deflecting and refusing to fix the problem, got it.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Winston's gun fires at all targets within your FoV. It's possible to be damaging multiple enemies at a time.

You might be thinking of Zarya, who's primary fire is just a straight line.

Zarya has an equally poo poo gun, and no, I'm not thinking of her.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

Am I missing something about Winston? His shield might as well be styrafoam, and the cooldown is ridiculous at over ten seconds. On top of that, his super only really shines on maps with lots of pits to work with.

His shield is just strong enough to make it a real pain in the rear end to 1v1 him on his own terms. He uses his jump to close in on some squishy back-line character who's walking around alone, drops his shield right next to them, and then they have to choose between damage-racing him at point-blank or using an escape ability to flee (if they try to run normally, he'll be able to keep up with them and his shield will buy him a couple seconds lead in the damage race). When his jump cooldown ends, he uses it to escape the incoming reinforcements, chase his target, or go harass someone else.

His ult does barely any damage, you're not gonna kill anyone with it unless you trap someone in a corner and pummel them, or knock someone off an edge. Where it really excels, though, is disruption - like the other tank ults, it's all about disrupting the enemy team enough that your teammates can come in and clean up. Activating the ult not only doubles your max health but also refills your health completely, and the shorter jump cooldowns make him very annoying to pin down and kill while he bounces around the point sending everyone flying every which way and generally being a huge, loud, visible, distracting raging gorilla. If Winston ults in the middle of the enemy team, they're likely going to focus on him, which buys some time for an organized team to push in. It's not really that good in solo queue, as you might imagine.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

NTRabbit posted:

No it doesn't. Symmetra's gun has autoaim, and that I can hit pretty drat well with, Winston's gun fires straight forwards through the reticle, and killcam constantly confirms it rarely hits anything, because the server and my client have violent and extensive disagreements about exactly where my reticle is pointing at any given point in time.

Well, for us players with normal pings, it basically auto aims. :shrug:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Okay, well either you have a broken game or are just trolling then, because it autoaims for every other player in overwatch dude.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

NTRabbit posted:

No, it really doesn't, either side of straight down the reticle, albeit with a wider beam than Zarya, and no hits ever register, and it's not a second of lag, the ping is probably 200-300ms

You're full of poo poo. The tesla gun hits everything in a cone in front of you, literally all you have to do is keep your target in sight. It's nothing like Zarya's gun (which is also fine).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
As someone who has Winston as his third most played hero, you'd have to try really hard to not hit things with his gun. It hits everything in a cone in front of him, guaranteed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's worth it to always play at least a couple games as Winston to hear dudes go OYOYOYOYOYOYOYOY as you chase them around with the tesla cannon.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

According to Blizzard, killcam doesn't confirm anything, as what you see might not be 100% accurate, especially when it comes to details like exactly where people are aiming. Winston's gun is definitely an auto-aim gun that hits everything within its fairly wide cone of fire as long as they are inside his fairly short range, though. He's especially good at killing Symmetra carwashes, for instance - all he has to do is look in the general direction of the turrets and his gun will lock onto all of them and instantly destroy the whole cluster.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I never run a car wash, I place my turrets in two trios, or three duos, depending on the map, and I space them as widely apart as possible to deal with my toughest nemesis, Reaper.

Kanfy posted:

As someone who has Winston as his third most played hero, you'd have to try really hard to not hit things with his gun. It hits everything in a cone in front of him, guaranteed.

I hardly ever play Winston because it's almost impossible to consistently hit things with his gun. How much damage is it supposed to do? Is it supposed to be able to beat a solo lvl 2 torb turret in a dps race?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
NTRabbit is hopeless

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/eghuk/v/73414920?t=4h55m8s

I hope he highlights this soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Winston's cannon does 60dps. This makes it a serious threat against squishy classes like tracer and mercy and even lucio to some extent. When he lands he can immediately do up to 50 damage depending on how close he is when he lands.

Also you can destroy turrets fairly easily with Winston, provided Torb isn't heal it (he isn't likely to, as he'll be out of range of that tesla cannon)

Winston can also get creative with his barrier as it blocks enemy bullets in both directions. So if a McCree is using deadeye, you can jump up to him, plop the shield over McCree and McCree now can't really use his ability, meanwhile you can dance around him and wipe him up. Same with Turrets. Plop a barrier around them, they're now out of the fight until the barrier falls.