Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Do I want universal health care? Absolutely. Do I think using medicare is the best way to get there? No.

Mind expanding on this? Opening Medicare for all seems like one of the simplest ways we could get actual UHC in this country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
That really sucks that Trump somehow successfully identified and dealt with a problem within his campaign by firing his campaign manager. Who is the guy he kept instead and how competent/incompetent is he?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ive never heard of Manafort so I decided to google him.

The dude is literally a loving villain henchman.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That really sucks that Trump somehow successfully identified and dealt with a problem within his campaign by firing his campaign manager. Who is the guy he kept and how competent/incompetent is he?

He's incompetent enough to let trump fire the other manager on monday morning

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I just finished that National Review article. He's got a point about small towns. I totally get that not everyone can afford to leave but for whatever reason small town people feel an unreasonable pride in places that are objective shitholes and extremely high dependence of the family.

Example: a guy I went to high school with worked at Walmart. He was offered an assistant manager position at a store two hours away. He turned it down because he'd be too far from his family. Two loving hours is not far. It's a really lovely commute daily or you could see your family every weekend if you just moved. Last I checked he was working at Sears and still not a manager. He has not moved upward in 10 years.

Maybe I was lucky being from a military but seeing family twice a year is good enough for me. Extended family not even that often.

Did he have any kids? The opportunity of free child care from family when you need it is a pretty big deal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That really sucks that Trump somehow successfully identified and dealt with a problem within his campaign by firing his campaign manager. Who is the guy he kept instead and how competent/incompetent is he?

The guy he kept is Manafort, the guy who is making him do the teleprompter poo poo. Unknown whether he made him fire Lewandowski on a monday morning so the news can talk about it all week.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm glad you put that "a problem" in there because of course the biggest problem with the Trump campaign is the man he won't ever fire.

Here's the deal on Manafort:

quote:

In one case, Manafort tried unsuccessfully to build a luxury high-rise in Manhattan with money from a billionaire backer of a Ukrainian president whom he had advised.

In another deal, real estate records show that Manafort took out and later repaid a $250,000 loan from a Middle Eastern arms dealer at the center of a French inquiry into whether kickbacks were paid to leading politicians in a 1995 presidential campaign.

And in another business venture, a Russian aluminum magnate has accused Manafort in a Cayman Islands court of taking nearly $19 million intended for investments, then failing to account for the funds, return them or respond to numerous inquiries about exactly how the money was used. [...]

Manafort also built a high-powered lobbying practice that did not shy from clients others shunned. They included two corrupt dictators, Mobutu Sese Seko of Zaire and Ferdinand Marcos of the Philippines, both of whom stole billions of dollars from their countries.

He's stolen money from oligarchs and gotten away with it with his life so advising Trump is a pretty plum gig. He'd make the perfect Chief of Staff for the Trump Administration.

Edit: Hey here's more

quote:

Manafort received $700,000 from the Kashmiri American Council between 1990 and 1994, supposedly to promote the plight of the Kashmiri people. However, an FBI investigation revealed the money was actually from Pakistan's Inter-Service Intelligence agency as part of a "false flag" operation to divert attention from terrorism. A former Pakistani ISI official claimed Manafort was aware of the nature of the operation.[12] While producing a documentary as part of the deal, Manafort interviewed several Indian officials while pretending to be a CNN reporter.[13]

quote:

He also worked as an adviser on the Ukrainian presidential campaign of Viktor Yanukovych[16] even as the U.S. government (and McCain) opposed Yanukovych because of his ties to Russia's Vladimir Putin.[6] Manafort was hired to advise Yanukovych months after massive street demonstrations known as the Orange Revolution overturned Yanukovych's victory in the 2004 presidential race. [17] Borys Kolesnikov, Yanukovich’s campaign manager, said the party hired Manafort after identifying organizational and other problems in the 2004 elections, in which it was advised by Russian strategists. [16] Manafort rebuffed U.S. Ambassador William Taylor when the latter complained he was undermining U.S. interests in Ukraine.[18]

Truly a public servant and a patriot.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 20, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WampaLord posted:

Mind expanding on this? Opening Medicare for all seems like one of the simplest ways we could get actual UHC in this country.

Well it isn't, because Medicare is actually highly restrictive on what is covered by it and not by private insurance.

The simplest way by far is tighten regulations on private insurers again while raising the top income bar to be on Medicaid up past the mean household income (NOT the median household income, we're looking to grab a majority of people in the eligibility).

Just in case you're wondering, mean household income is about $73,000 a year while median household income is about $52,000 a year. Currently, in states with the Medicaid expansion the household income limit to be on Medicaid is close to $29,000 a year and in states without the expansion it's lower apparently?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Antti posted:

I'm glad you put that "a problem" in there because of course the biggest problem with the Trump campaign is the man he won't ever fire.

Here's the deal on Manafort:

He's stolnen money from oligarchs and gotten away with it with his life so advising Trump is a pretty plum gig. He'd make the perfect Chief of Staff for the Trump Administration.

:laffo: at the thought that Trump's list of cabinet staff can't get security clearances because they're in hock to every rear end in a top hat from Berlusconi to Sisi to Yanukovich.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Utah vs Strieff decision came down today. The question was:

quote:

When a police officer stops a pedestrian in violation of the law, asks him for identification, discovers that there is a traffic warrant for his arrest, arrests him, and in the process of searching him discovers drug paraphernalia and methamphetamines, can the evidence found in the search of the pedestrian be used against him? Edward Strieff argues that it cannot: because the police officer’s stop was illegal, then anything obtained as a result of the stop is also tainted. The state, on the other hand, contends that the evidence should be admitted because it resulted from the lawful warrant for his arrest, rather than the illegal stop.

And the decision summary:

quote:

We hold that the evidence the officer seized as part of the search incident to arrest is admissible because the officer’s discovery of the arrest warrant attenuated the connection between the unlawful stop and the evidence seized incident to arrest.

Thomas/Kennedy/Breyer/Alito/Roberts concurrence, Sotomayor/Kagan/Ginsburg dissent

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Arrgytehpirate posted:

He was and is single. By family I mean small towns put a TON of value in cousins and uncles and aunts and poo poo like that. Immediate family is obviously a great reason but shooting yourself in the foot for extended family is something I will never comprehend.

Why do you put such a high value on work versus family? What value do you gain by leaving your friends, family, and home just so you can be an assistant manager at loving Wal-Mart?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

:laffo: at the thought that Trump's list of cabinet staff can't get security clearances because they're in hock to every rear end in a top hat from Berlusconi to Sisi to Yanukovich.

Paul Manafort should probably be in prison. He should probably be in multiple prisons in multiple countries. Maybe President Trump is his ticket to not getting extraordinarily renditioned to a basement underneath the Kremlin.

Edit: Does the Chief of Staff have diplomatic immunity? Imagine Manafort flying to Kiev with President Trump on Air Force One and getting arrested for having aided and abetted in defrauding the Ukrainian government.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 20, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fishmech posted:

Well it isn't, because Medicare is actually highly restrictive on what is covered by it and not by private insurance.

The simplest way by far is tighten regulations on private insurers again while raising the top income bar to be on Medicaid up past the mean household income (NOT the median household income, we're looking to grab a majority of people in the eligibility).

Just in case you're wondering, mean household income is about $73,000 a year while median household income is about $52,000 a year. Currently, in states with the Medicaid expansion the household income limit to be on Medicaid is close to $29,000 a year and in states without the expansion it's lower apparently?

Doesn't Medicaid have it's own host of problems, like a shitton of doctors not accepting it? I will fully admit I'm fairly ignorant on these things.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Antti posted:

Paul Manafort should probably be in prison. He should probably be in multiple prisons in multiple countries. Maybe President Trump is his ticket to not getting extraordinarily renditioned to a basement underneath the Kremlin.

That's the kind of poo poo they deny security clearances over - nobody cares if you smoke weed once in a while or if you were bankrupt once, they care if someone can use something to coax information out of you, like offering a huge bag of weed or offering to pay off long-running insurmountable debts. Manafort knowing his freedom from getting tortured to death by Putin's goons is contingent on Trump being in power until Putin is out means he'll put Trump above a whole lot of things including the law.

Antti posted:

Edit: Does the Chief of Staff have diplomatic immunity? Imagine Manafort flying to Kiev with President Trump on Air Force One and getting arrested for having aided and abetted in defrauding the Ukrainian government.

I imagine the Chief of Staff would have diplomatic immunity, though the laws of man are not exactly something Putin gives a poo poo about up front.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

Why do you put such a high value on work versus family? What value do you gain by leaving your friends, family, and home just so you can be an assistant manager at loving Wal-Mart?

There's value on bettering yourself.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Armyman25 posted:

I was able to move out of my parents house. It's highly unlikely I would have ever been able to do that if I had stayed. There simply isn't much upward mobility where I'm from. An unwillingness to go where the jobs are is just as prevalent as the inability to go where the jobs are.

Besides, assistant manager is just a step. You can turn that into a managers position at another company in a few years. Possibly one closer to home if you want. Taking a job that isn't your ideal is frequently needed to climb the ladder successfully.

Also two hours isn't not some insurmountable distance. It's easily within weekend visit range and emergency travel range without having to worry about suddenly affording an airline ticket.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ok, so Manafort is a literal James Bond villain. But is he capable of making the Trump campaign less of a total clown show? Because apparently the dude they fired was behind the idea of "Let Trump be Trump" as a strategy. I know Trump is an egotistical narcissist who cannot stay on script without saying something terrible but I don't like anything that might help him.

Yes I'm arzying a bit.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
god drat reddit is stupid

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/4oyl60/eli5why_is_it_so_important_that_the_us_president/

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ok, so Manafort is a literal James Bond villain. But is he capable of making the Trump campaign less of a total clown show? Because apparently the dude they fired was behind the idea of "Let Trump be Trump" as a strategy. I know Trump is an egotistical narcissist who cannot stay on script without saying something terrible but I don't like anything that might help him.

Yes I'm arzying a bit.

I don't think it's really possible to know, since there is little substantial info about the inner workings of the "campaign." But it is very unlikely to be enough to catapult him to victory given how disastrous everything Trump is right now

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes I'm arzying a bit.

As I hinted earlier, the biggest problem is Trump, and if Manafort is going to put his foot down and really stop Trump being Trump, he'll just fire Manafort and find someone else. The campaign's still going to be a gong show inside.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I know he won't know suddenly win but I'd rather his downward trajectory not be halted so soon when he had so much momentum working against him.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes I'm arzying a bit.

They fired the "let trump be trump" guy, but kept the "make trump use a teleprompter" guy

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

FAUXTON posted:

That's the kind of poo poo they deny security clearances over - nobody cares if you smoke weed once in a while or if you were bankrupt once, they care if someone can use something to coax information out of you, like offering a huge bag of weed or offering to pay off long-running insurmountable debts. Manafort knowing his freedom from getting tortured to death by Putin's goons is contingent on Trump being in power until Putin is out means he'll put Trump above a whole lot of things including the law.

I imagine the Chief of Staff would have diplomatic immunity, though the laws of man are not exactly something Putin gives a poo poo about up front.

Just a reminder that the President can give a security clearance to anyone he wants to because he's the loving president. So that fact that Manafort would have one of the most hilarious SF-85s ever written does not keep him from becoming Secretary of State.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

FCKGW posted:

There's value on bettering yourself.

You are not defined by your profession. Your net worth is not your true value.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ceiling fan posted:

Just a reminder that the President can give a security clearance to anyone he wants to because he's the loving president. So that fact that Manafort would have one of the most hilarious SF-85s ever written does not keep him from becoming Secretary of State.

:v: this day keeps getting better

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know he won't know suddenly win but I'd rather his downward trajectory not be halted so soon when he had so much momentum working against him.

It's gotta last us until November.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WampaLord posted:

Doesn't Medicaid have it's own host of problems, like a shitton of doctors not accepting it? I will fully admit I'm fairly ignorant on these things.

It only has as much of a problem with that as there is with doctors not accepting Medicare - so trying to modify Medicare to work for everything would have the same issue. Once again though, in states that didn't refuse the Medicaid expansion there's a whole lot less cases of being on Medicaid keeping you from using most doctors.

As an aside, this country could do with a lot more funding of these facilities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_net_hospital

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

It's gotta last us until November.

What does?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Based on my own experiences with a clinical narcissist like Trump, we've barely seen anything yet. The irrational behavior is just getting started.

Normally a narcissist can do a reasonably decent job of controlling they're nastier impulses to restrict them from being brazenly displayed in public in such a manner that it will change the narrative about the narcissist. However, Trump has been binging on narcissistic Supply for over a year now, and it's taking a toll on him. I expect that normally Trump would have at least had the impulse control to fire Corey on a Friday in order to minimize the damage to the narrative, but at present Trump has been so high for so long that even by Trump standards he isn't thinking clearly.

Just like a meth addict on an extended binge, the longer the bench goes on the harsher the physical consequences and the more pronounced the attendant irrational behavior becomes as well. We very likely have not seen the last of such dramatic firings, it'll be interesting to see if Manaford is able to remain in Trump good graces now that he's won his spat with Corey.

If my analysis is correct then we are going to see the continued erosion of the public face that Trump relied on up to this point, basically the mask that he wears is falling apart. Eventually we will see the real Donald Trump come out in public, the real Donald Trump who goes on random and unpredictable profanity-filled tirades where he destroys things. Buckle up, this is going to be one hell of a show.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

The train wreck known as Donald Trump's Campaign.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/MichaelRCaputo/status/744889850914971648

Only the most professionalism from the Trump staff, folks, only the most professional behavior.

(Caputo is Trump's New York state campaign director)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

WampaLord posted:

I'll piggy back a little bit off fishmech, but go a little further. Medicare itself needs reformed before I'd want to put a whole bunch of people on it.

Myy sort of proposal (not paid for, clearly) would look something like this:

Reform Medicare/Medicaid to have more comprehensive coverage and require less pay in from users and nationalize it, taking it out of the state's hands to hold things hostage for it.
Expand Medicaid eligibility to any single person making less than $35,000 a year, or couples making less than $60,000. And make it available to anyone regardless of their immigration status.
Let anyone who does not receive coverage from their employer and not in that bracket above buy into a government sponsored healthcare plan (which would revert all us government employees back to that plan, instead of the exchange) or buy one off a nationally ran, state-centric exchange. (That is, make the exchanges be ran by the DHHS)
Create cooperatives for small businesses to pool together to buy insurance as groups so they can offer their employees coverage with better bargaining power.
Regulate the Prescription Drug Industry like virtually every other country in the world does. No more spending a billion dollars a year on ads for you, Big Pharma
Expand CHIPS and opt every single child into it.
Invest in a network of rural healthcare clinics that are low-cost.

That's just a start.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Talmonis posted:

You are not defined by your profession. Your net worth is not your true value.

You guys are focusing on this wrong (the job/money itself). The idea that he would have to move to pursue an opportunity and do so in a position where he'd learn/earn a wider skill set is valid.

It's also valid at a personal level in relationships. Some ponds are just bigger.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Has anyone here worked for their current job for more than two years? In the industry I'm entering it seems to be common to move every two years and sooner if possible. At least until you're in a position or market that you enjoy.

Start in a small local market, or if you're good a midsize market or like a state paper.

After a year or two shop yourself around to bigger markets. If you enjoy where you are leverage those offers for a higher salary, otherwise move on.

Repeat until you can't.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Has anyone here worked for their current job for more than two years? In the industry I'm entering it seems to be common to move every two years and sooner if possible. At least until you're in a position or market that you enjoy.

Start in a small local market, or if you're good a midsize market or like a state paper.

After a year or two shop yourself around to bigger markets. If you enjoy where you are leverage those offers for a higher salary, otherwise move on.

Repeat until you can't.

Before moving into my current job in February, I had been in my previous job for almost eight years and could have easily remained there if I wanted.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Repeat until you can't.

Depends on your goals and the career path you've chosen. Some people want to set down roots and make a family, for instance. Constantly moving about hurts that.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Combed Thunderclap posted:

https://twitter.com/MichaelRCaputo/status/744889850914971648

Only the most professionalism from the Trump staff, folks, only the most professional behavior.

(Caputo is Trump's New York state campaign director)

yeah but is he talking about Lewandowski or the campaign?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So apparently the Lewandowski firing came after an early morning meeting with Trump's family.

Adds further credence to my own belief that Trump's closest advisors and the only people he trusts are his nuclear family.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Boon posted:

So apparently the Lewandowski firing came after an early morning meeting with Trump's family.

Adds further credence to my own belief that Trump's closest advisors and the only people he trusts are his nuclear family.

lol if this was a spontaneous impulse and not at all planned out like that implies.

Think Lew will now throw everyone under the bus? I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Repeat until you can't.

Going on 9 years

• Locked thread