Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
LEEEEEEEETTIN THE DAYS GO BY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

Well? Why did you buy this?

While more bare bones in overall features, there were also less dick punches and gates for the sake of gates way back.

Nearly everything I liked in the game got hit by the Tiy hammer at some point or another. Even the grappling hook guns when they made their energy costs less crazy, were reduced to a limp string gun. Instead of the crazy rubber band physics that let me vertically slingshot myself across asteroid fields no problem without any fly/teleport techs.

Etc.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zero_Tactility posted:

Heard of a dev-plan that was loaded with features,
packed up and ready to go

DIRT STACKS.

piled high

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Section Z posted:

While more bare bones in overall features, there were also less dick punches and gates for the sake of gates way back.

Nearly everything I liked in the game got hit by the Tiy hammer at some point or another. Even the grappling hook guns when they made their energy costs less crazy, were reduced to a limp string gun. Instead of the crazy rubber band physics that let me vertically slingshot myself across asteroid fields no problem without any fly/teleport techs.

Etc.

the grappling hooks were legitimately super fun and unique at one point so of course they had to go

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I haven't bought Starbound but I looked into it because Terraria in space but I was so crushed to find out it's a load of crap.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Babe Magnet posted:

the grappling hooks were legitimately super fun and unique at one point so of course they had to go

On top of which they felt super buggy last I tried a long while back, where they would even fail to attach to all the stuff I was falling past constantly :sigh:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I hate myself and want to starbound

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO STARBOUND

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Press start to Starbound.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Starbounding me softly with his development cycle.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Deja vu! I've just been in this place before, higher on the 'bound!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BattleMaster posted:

I haven't bought Starbound but I looked into it because Terraria in space but I was so crushed to find out it's a load of crap.

The story of Starbutt, indeed. Space Terraria in Space is still a thing that I want.

Starclowned is No Fun in Space Allowed.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yknow what, im gonna re-play starbound just to see how awful it is

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

BillmasterCozb posted:

"You know, i'm gonna stab myself just to see how painful it is"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Spends 15 hours mining for minerals with a pick ax that us better then the energy tool that affects all matter

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
you still walk backwards slower than poo poo, you still cant sand mine, you have to be at a furnace for it to smelt things because they thought removing insta-smelt was a good idea, the combat is still just the WORST thing ever, it's too much of a chore for a game that sells itself as "Terraria, but in space!" With loving terraria, weapons feel worthwhile because they're not randomly-generated garbage, enemies aren't poo poo because they aren't randomly-generated garbage, and you have a REASON to do anything in terraria, whereas in starbound the only motivation you have to play it is "I paid money for this"

in other words,

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

i think all the 'good' stuff is in the nightlies

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I thought about reinstalling it, realized it was almost two gigs, and decided not to

edit: then i realized i have no usage cap, so here we go

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 19, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You know those dev stories where they're making one game, play around with a few features, and the direction of the game changes? Starbound is that, in reverse.

Elder Scrolls Arena is a good example of this working.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Started the game and was immediately bombarded by like four paragraphs of text telling me "go to the planet and start playing the game." You can tell there used to be a more complex intro, but without the needless complexity there's no need for the tutorial. Terraria and Minecraft already exist and work perfectly fine without holding your hand.

After going to the planet I found out that the matter manipulator is better than it was before (although not as good as it was two years ago) and it takes six seconds to chop down a tree, which is annoying. On the other hand it has the hotkey "R" which is a great idea and something Terraria could have used. I cut down some trees and built a wooden crafting table, but the crafting menu is really weird and bad.

If running backwards is coming back, it isn't in yet. You can run in either direction without something in your hands, but if you're holding something it's walk backwards time.

Combat is still really bad, the enemies don't have any knockback and you barely knock enemies back so it ends up just being a slapfight until someone explodes into pixels.

I quit after like 15 minutes, and this is from someone who spent nearly three or four hours trying to like A Valley Without Wind and its sequel/remake. Starbound is still very much not a good game.

edit: this was all on glad giraffe, apparently i didn't have the nightly? welp

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

This is the thing here. The walk-backwards-speed normalization is in the nightlies, all of the interesting weapons and items are in the nightlies, biomes, quests, the new game mechanics like ship-hands and followers and fossil collecting, all or most of that stuff is sealed away in the nightlies right now so if you're interested in seeing what's been going on with the game for the past few months then you're going to be waiting more.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Prop Wash posted:

Started the game and was immediately bombarded by like four paragraphs of text telling me "go to the planet and start playing the game." You can tell there used to be a more complex intro, but without the needless complexity there's no need for the tutorial. Terraria and Minecraft already exist and work perfectly fine without holding your hand.

There actually is a more complex intro coming. No idea how much of a tutorial it's going to be though.

Also, they scrapped the idea of each race having their own intro which makes me sad. It's less motivation to try them all.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Well the 19 Jun 2016 nightly update is literally unplayable, you just spawn in a ship with nothing to do or interact with, so well done everyone

oh hey but if i warp down to the planet backwards running is back!!!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Prop Wash posted:

literally unplayable, you just spawn in a ship with nothing to do or interact with,

hmm sound a lot like stable !! haha!!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Prop Wash posted:

After going to the planet I found out that the matter manipulator is better than it was before (although not as good as it was two years ago) and it takes six seconds to chop down a tree, which is annoying. On the other hand it has the hotkey "R" which is a great idea and something Terraria could have used.
Terraria's smart cursor is actually better and really, really handy.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

It's still weird to me that Terraria has more and better laser guns than the space game.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I last played this game two years ago when it seemed promising and interesting.

What happened to it? Is there a story of how it got so hosed up and bad?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Milky Moor posted:

Bad egomaniac developer wanted to make 2d Dark Souls except really bad.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Milky Moor posted:

Take your pick of one step forward, two steps back unless you gobble up any kind of inconvenience and call it "immersion"

Take farming for example. Long while back, they finally fixed farming so you didn't need a mod to make trees and crops grow while you were off planet. You know, in the game where you will spend 90% of your time anywhere but where you decided to call "home" with all those planets and such. So coming back home to a bunch of crops and trees grown was nice to see, even if you did not put much use to crafting stuff from wood or cooking food.

Now, replace that with needing to water your crops and trees multiple times (but not too much, or it destroys the crops outright :pseudo:)... And they won't grow at all on top while you are not at wherever you planted them (or at the very least, you can't exactly water them off planet), instead of off exploring other planets in your space exploration game. Oh also now there is a timer cooldown on being able to gain any beneficial effect from food anyways, even if you stick with it.

If the wiki numbers are accurate, you have about... 20 seconds * 225 growth cycles = 75 minutes for bananas, in optimal growth conditions where you make sure they remain properly hydrated instead of running off to have space adventures.

I got more annoyed by it hitting trees too, because I loved planting tons of trees then coming back home to clear cut for sustainable materials for giant space log cabins without having to deforest several planets per building project.

Watch as their official comments section praises it/gives suggestions on how to make it even more tedious.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 20, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Milky Moor posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697749&userid=90423

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Section Z posted:

Take your pick of one step forward, two steps back unless you gobble up any kind of inconvenience and call it "immersion"

Take farming for example. Long while back, they finally fixed farming so you didn't need a mod to make trees and crops grow while you were off planet. You know, in the game where you will spend 90% of your time anywhere but where you decided to call "home" with all those planets and such. So coming back home to a bunch of crops and trees grown was nice to see, even if you did not put much use to crafting stuff from wood or cooking food.

Now, replace that with needing to water your crops and trees multiple times (but not too much, or it destroys the crops outright :pseudo:)... And they won't grow at all on top while you are not at wherever you planted them (or at the very least, you can't exactly water them off planet), instead of off exploring other planets in your space exploration game. Oh also now there is a timer cooldown on being able to gain any beneficial effect from food anyways, even if you stick with it.

If the wiki numbers are accurate, you have about... 20 seconds * 225 growth cycles = 75 minutes for bananas, in optimal growth conditions where you make sure they remain properly hydrated instead of running off to have space adventures.

I got more annoyed by it hitting trees too, because I loved planting tons of trees then coming back home to clear cut for sustainable materials for giant space log cabins without having to deforest several planets per building project.

Watch as their official comments section praises it/gives suggestions on how to make it even more tedious.

Amazing, thanks.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

BillmasterCozb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0bZtf5MCzY

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

Bad egomaniac developer wanted to make 2d Dark Souls except really bad.

See, people keep mentioning this Dark Souls connection.

This is one of the furthest games from Dark Souls, except for maybe Mappy. What the hell?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mokinokaro posted:

There actually is a more complex intro coming. No idea how much of a tutorial it's going to be though.

Also, they scrapped the idea of each race having their own intro which makes me sad. It's less motivation to try them all.

The first four hours of the game being bullshit tutorial quests just to unlock the ship upgrades is the worst part of starbound far and god I hope they don't do anything to extend the shitshow that keeps me from starting this game back up

tip for game developers itt; nobody in the loving world likes quest/content gating, we barely tolerate that poo poo in MMOs because the skinner box demands it, there's no excuse in a casual game

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 20, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Mirthless posted:

tip for game developers itt; nobody in the loving world likes quest/content gating

this is v untrue actually

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

this is v untrue actually

It depends. Give us something fun at first, and then give us REALLY fun upgrades later on, that we have to use our fun mechanics to get.

In short, don't skip out on fun.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Most games have kind of content gating going on, the difference is that in starbound it comes before any content at all.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I've said this before, but the problem is that Starbound balances downwards/negatively, rather than balancing upwards/positively. Most games give you cool things then put even cooler stuff behind gates; Starbound gives you tedious things, gates off ways to make the tedious stuff less tedious, then puts the cool stuff at the very last gate for the dedicated fanbase.

e: how long do you have to grind from start to get vehicles and rails/carts?

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

Babe Magnet posted:

This is the thing here. The walk-backwards-speed normalization is in the nightlies, all of the interesting weapons and items are in the nightlies, biomes, quests, the new game mechanics like ship-hands and followers and fossil collecting, all or most of that stuff is sealed away in the nightlies right now so if you're interested in seeing what's been going on with the game for the past few months then you're going to be waiting more.

this is to leave themselves enough time to cut it all before the next stable release

don't worry, Tiy won't let anyone unretard his baby

• Locked thread